Transformers Kre-O - Thoughts?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Shin Densetsu, Jun 9, 2011.

1. Maetel

Maetel Well-Known Member

don't know if you guys realized this or not, but the Kreo is basically made by Oxford, the korean company that does alot of modern military themed sets, a subject lego always avoided. so hasbro didn't invest too much in research/development of the plastics and molds, which is good since they're working with company already familiar with robot/vehicle designs. you can find more sets by oxford on ebay. oxford block | eBay

to naysayers, yes the oxford brand is clone of most lego bricks, but lego's physical patent expired years ago, and other companies are filling up niche lego doesn't want to do, and oxford is actually one of the best lego clones outthere according to the lego/brick reviewers. more competition is always good.

2. Haloid1177

Haloid1177 Hey, That's Pretty Good

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    I have always been skeptical abou Kreo. It always looked subpar to me. But everyone seems to like them, so I went to TRU, and bought Jazz. I know many don't care for him, but Jazz is my favorite character, so I started with him.

First off, Kreons are awesome. I hate the prices people are charging for single Kreons, so, I'll be buying more sets for these alone.

The set isn't horrible. The vehicle mode was nicer than I expected. Rubber wheels were a surprise. Also, I HATE stickers. Still do. This set is no exception. Anyway, the build was entertaining, but nothing special. Robot mode is pretty cool. Legs suck, arms are fine. Built him a cannon out of leftover parts. Also switched the Autobot symbol and no. 4 squares, just for a more G1 look. Overall, he's pretty cool. I'd buy more from this line. Probably Sentinel or Megatron.

3. robowarrior

robowarrior Arcee's BF

News Credits:
    I just picked up Kre-O Optimus Prime (big one) and mines came with a regular chest... not the botcon version....

[​IMG]

4. Nope

Nope yscohb

News Credits:
    Nice to see it's being corrected.

5. daytimeninja

daytimeninja Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I want to buy one, but I have had bad experiences with any type of brick building other than Legos. Can anyone state how the quality compares?

6. robowarrior

robowarrior Arcee's BF

News Credits:
    There about the same as Lego's...

7. Autobus Prime

Autobus Prime Transit Former

Aha! I knew Hasbro must have been buying them from somebody, and I suspected they were either buying from Oxford, or from the places that have been copying Oxford blocks (found in a lot of the Best-Lock sets). Some of the pieces looked Oxforden, and there was something Oxfordic about the mech design. :) 

The reports of good clutch power tended to back up Oxford...

8. Shin Densetsu

Shin Densetsu I WILL DESTROY YOU Content Contributor Veteran

News Credits:
    Didn't know that, interesting!

Added image of my slightly customized Megatron with fusion cannon built from leftover parts

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 3, 2011
  9. daytimeninja

daytimeninja Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm really liking the G1 look to these and the minifigs. Might have to pick up Megatron. Thanks for the pics, Shin!

10. jonwes

jonwes Active Member

I see you used the wheels like I did. I think it works pretty well, and I like keeping the tanks on his back. I'm still not totally happy with the cannon, but I do like having one on him.

[​IMG]

11. Nope

Nope yscohb

News Credits:
    Anyone find any of these at Wal-Mart? I was there and they had three Sentinel Primes (who I haven't found at TRU yet).

12. Waverider

Waverider Supreme Dude

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Today I saw them at the Walmart Supercenter near my house. They had small and big Optimus Prim, Small and big Bumblebee, Ratchet, Sideswipe, Megatron, Starscream and Sentinel Prime.

13. jerryitus

jerryitus Transformer vacuum

They surprisingly had almost all released sets at my TRU today (at least i think so...mini-BB, mini prime, mirage, jazz, prowl, ratchet, sideswipe, BB, starscream, megatron, optimus, sentinel) . I snagged a mirage and a mini-bb, i'll see how I like them before i invest any more money. Look interesting tho, can't wait to open them up :) 

14. rodimus147

rodimus147 Well-Known Member

Has anyone who contacted Hasbro for a replacement closed chest Optimus Prime Kreon gotten it yet?

15. Wingnut

Wingnut Stayin' Alive!

Ebay:
    They're okay but all I really care about are the Minifigs. That's what makes it stand out.

16. Josh

Josh Comic Color-guy

News Credits:
    So i've seen a few people do reviews on Sideswipe and i been getting annoyed at the way the legs look! i dont like that crooked disjointed look of his lower legs and ive done some lookin and it looks like there's 2 different configurations!

i'll let you decide which one is supposed to be the "real" one

[i know which one I prefer!]

the ugly way:
    [​IMG]

the right way:
    [​IMG]

17. ArtistOfWar59

ArtistOfWar59 Stunticon

Does anybody know which Character comes with Kreon Soundwave, or if Soundwave will get a build set? If So, please tell me. I REALLY want a Kreon/Kre-o Soundwave.

18. shibamura_prime

shibamura_prime Food Truck or BMW Moderator

News Credits:
    I've got the big Prime, Megatron, Jazz and Prowl sets, and so far I'm really digging them. Building these things is half the fun, so I'm not concerned with these Transformers not "transforming" at all. My only real beef right now is that the stickers on my Prime peel like mad. I'm craving the tiny Bumblebee and the Sentinel Prime right now, and am on the fence with the rest of the line (though pictures in this thread have me wanting to jump in my car and buy Sideswipe right now).

Soundwave comes with the Sentinel Prime set.

19. Matty

Matty @StayingInTheBox Veteran

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    I definitely prefer the way these things look in vehicle mode compared to robot form. So far my favorite is a tie between Big Prime and Ratchet.

20. doomboy536

doomboy536 Universe Onslaught fanboy

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    My Optimus Prime is amazing and one of my favourite figures.