Transformers: Infiltration #1 Discussion (spoilers)

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by BlueFrenzy, Jan 18, 2006.

1. Gears

Gears buh-buh-body ya Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    The issue was pretty good. Not really a fan of how EJ Su draws the human's faces, but the bots are looking better.

2. Wreckie

Wreckie Holder of the Discomatrix

Ebay:
    You do realise you only have to buy one of them in order to read the comic, right? :peoples: 

3. Lord Shockwave

Lord Shockwave Well-Known Member

Got the Runamuck/Runabout cover and the Bumblebee cover. They both harken back to the Marvel UK and US style of covers, which I like.

Let's start with the good points. The purpose of an introductory issue is to set the tone of the story and develop the characters. It does that, mostly with the human cast. Su's pencilling is good at telling the story, and overall the artwork is good. In the Figueroa era, this says a lot. Finally, there is ample comedic relief with the Arnold automaton. Well done.

Now to the criticisms. Let me say that though my criticisms may come across as harsh, I'm not basing a real opinion of this series on a single issue so early in the game. After the first arc, then we can start talking about whether IDW delivers or not. But we have to give them a chance to strut their stuff.

Now, on to the criticisms. Firstly, I really couldn't tell a difference in this first issue from issue #0. When you pick up this issue, you hope that in some way it separates itself from #0 or at least moves the story along more. It really is more of the same of #0, that is, setting up the human cast with a few TF battles involving Ratchet thrown in. I mean, what more do we learn? Nothing really, just the things we knew in #0, that is, Verity is a runaway who stole a computer, Hunter is convinced there are extravehicular beings, the Battlechargers are after Ratchet because of that stolen computer, and Thundercracker is there too. Now how is this different from #0? It's not.

Not that this sort of reinforcement is necessarily bad. I can be patient. Problem is, much of the Transformers fandom isn't, and I'm sure they would have hoped for something more than just #0 over again. Fans of Marvel and Dreamwave, like myself, will have to develop a little more patience with this kind of pacing.

Overall, it's not bad and I would give it a B-. Remember, Marvel #1 started off in a similar fashion with Buster and Bumblebee, and Dreamwave's first issue didn't have a single fist thrown or laser fired. Take Chris's word for it, things are going to heat up in issue #2. We're not dealing with Pat Lee here. Chris and IDW haven't lied to us before, and I don't think they will now. I have faith in IDW.

Looking forward to #2 and the faster pace of things.

4. Ktulu

Ktulu Whoosh TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I haven't actually read it but I'm fairly interested, from what I've seen of the art though, definitely A+ there!

5. JunkionExchange

JunkionExchange Banned

Well Bought Myn one ain't doing the whole collect all the covers like I did with dreamwave and I must say this I am bored already

6. IACON

IACON "That's Vector Sigma?" TFW2005 Supporter

10 covers is really too much. I took the one with Bumblebee on it. This issue ( #1 ) is ok... sort of.
    I didn't like the names of the human characters and the book has too much focus on them. I wonder when the focus will shift on the tf's. Another think that bugged me is the fact that the autobots have an outpost on the ocean's floor (?!?) What the... :peoples: 
    I will give this comics another chance.

7. Infosaur

Infosaur Ancient Cybertronian

Few nits,

Runabout and Runamuck were a Lotus Esprit and a pontiac Trans Am, In the comic they are both Chevy Camaros. On the last page the color is backwards since the white one got the window shot out in the earlier part of the story. (since it's Runabout-amuck, I realy don't care which is which.)

Ratchet appeared to be a Ford of some sort. Maybe a Euro Galaxy Van?

I liked Ratchets 'tools of destruction'. Supposedly he carries and entire medical bay with him, and he's shown in the past at being very creative in using it. (the human equivalent would be a guy who holds off terrorists with a Navy Corpsmans medikit. Throwing scalples, grinding up pills to make a blinding dust, tying up guys with bandage tape, etc.)

Oddly, I was less cool with Runaboutamucks weapons (excluding the jersey barrier in the door, can I get that?). TF's are cool but when they have weapons coming out of every single part it gets tired.

8. IACON

IACON "That's Vector Sigma?" TFW2005 Supporter

I don't know if you guys noticed, but the website that is mentioned in the first page, does really exist!
    Here is the link:
    mechatopia
    Nice...

9. Xcandescent

Xcandescent TRUKKS are the new MUNKYS

Short review: WTF?!

Longer review: That was totally mediocre in every aspect. Writing, art, characters ... everything. It really does read like an extension of #0, and that ain't a good thing.

The art is wildly variable. Some of it is pretty good, while some of it (I'm looking at you, Mr. Fugly Battle Scene) makes my eyes bleed. Then they rub sand in the wound by throwing in a gorgeous 2-page preview of Don's Beast Wars in the back.

The writing is worse. I could say it takes guts to make the main character completely brainless and annoying -- but it's not guts that makes Hollywood writers put that stupid archetype in every other action/comedy picture.

Seriously: has Furman not learned from the lessons of, oh, EVERY TRANSFORMERS CARTOON SINCE THE DAWN OF TIME? If you're going to have humans, <b>make sure they're NOT annoying!!!!</b> Anything less will suck the life out of your show/comic book/kiddie robo-slashfic/whatever.

Holo-Ratchet does steal the show, in part because he actually gives us a tiny, tiny glimpse at the background conflict among the Autobots ... which only serves to make the human characters look that much worse.

The scripts needs to get better, and quickly. I suggest starting by using Verity as a water balloon in the next issue.

-XCN-

10. Foster

Foster Haslab Victory Saber Backer #3 Veteran

News Credits:
    I'll give them this: combat in vehicle mode, without transforming, is novel. THAT, at least, has been relatively rare in the franchise, be it tv or print. There are exceptions, most recently on Speedia, as part of the Planet Cup racing and on Animatros, where combat took place in a fluid state between beast and robot modes.

And the vehicle modes at least LOOKED LIKE VEHICLES. *points* See, Pat Lee? TRUKK not TITTEEZ!

11. Beastbot X

Beastbot X Old skool. In a lot of ways.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Makes sense to me. If their base had been on land, it probably would've been discovered by now, especially what with satellites and all.

12. Fairlady_Z

Fairlady_Z Official Voice of Flareup

Got my copy today (with the Ratchet cover.)

Holo-Ratchet was fun. It was nice to see the hologram operating outside the vehicle as well. I wonder it it's "hard light" like in Red Dwarf or would Ratch's cover be blown if someone just put their hand through the hologram?

I also enjoyed the alt mode scrimish. Ratchet has a few more weapons at his disposal than in the Marvel Comic. As for Runabout and Runamuck, their purpose seems to be to provide some land based trouble for the Autobots. Planes fighting cars is a bit conspicuous. Also given that using the Stunticons might prompt too many "Where's Menasor?" comments right off the bat, Runabout and Runamuck seem like a good choice of characters and I look forward to seeing how they develop.

I agree with those who have stated that this issue does seem like caryover from issue #0, though it isn't a bad thing. Things do seem a little slow right now, but I think it will pick up in the next couple issues. I do have some reservations about the human characters, but I'm hopeful that a balance between human and TF characters will be achieved. Verity was a little annying this issue, I have to admit, but I'mm sure that will change as soon as she eats her words at seeing real robot alien next issue. Overall, I like that she reminds me of Jubilee, one of my favorite X-Men characters. Also, I think her name is mean to be a tribute to Dr. Who's first producer Verity Lambert, what with Simon being British. As for Hunter and Jimmy, I don't find them annoying yet. Hunter represents the fan in all of us, and a mechanic is always a good human character to have around like Sparkplug was. I think Jimmy and Ratch will become good friends.

Plus we have a cameo from Ironhide and get a hint of exacty what Ratchet's "rebelious" nature entails. It looks like Sunstreaker is next on the list to show up for the Autobots. I hope we get to see Sideswipe too at some point.

So while this issue didn't knock my socks off, I'm hopeful for the direction of the comic and it's good to have TF comics back, period. The BW preview looks very cool too.

13. Dreweido

Dreweido Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Whoo! My name's in the letter page! I win! :D 

I haven't got the issue from it but various reports I'm in the letter page! Whoo!

14. Acteon

Acteon Overworked

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I think we have to remember that issue #0 was a taster, not an issue in its own right - some people won't have read it, and therefore some repetition would be necessary - does this issue still make sense if you haven't read issue #0?

Also, IDW have their own market to aim this title at - of course we, as older fans who know the series backwards, are going to find a slow start irritating, because we know just how cool things can get - new readers need to be warmed up. A giant robot fight in issue 1 would be a bit jarring.

15. SubotaiBaghatur

SubotaiBaghatur Borys of Ebe

Finally made it to the comic shop today and picked this up. It was ok... Some of my favorite back issues were the early marvel issues that featured ratchet so this was kind of like a trip down memory lane. Not sure what to make of the supporting human characters just yet, at least they are not kids so in that respect I am quite pleased.

16. blaster2001

blaster2001 Member

I just read issuse number one and was disappointed as well. Albeit, it's only been two issues, but when you have such a rich universe and lore that the Transformers are fortunate to have (thanks to the contributions of past writers) , I expected so much more from these two issuses...
    And can anyone explain to me how Ratchet's hologram was able to hold the palm pilot computer? Did I miss something?
    Anyways, I'm looking forward to the Beast Wars stories.

17. Beastbot X

Beastbot X Old skool. In a lot of ways.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    We've seen before in Transformers series that they can create solid holograms.

18. Razerwire

Razerwire 99 Problems... Veteran

News Credits:
    All of a sudden I like Runamuck and Runabout 100% more...

19. KA

KA Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    a bit slow, but i think the direction is okay. right now its a slow burn, but i do hope it picks up.

what i liked from the old furman stuff was the snappy pace. if i want to read heady stuff, i'll read morisson or moore.

20. HufferPrime

HufferPrime Small but deadly

OK, I'll add my 2 cents. First off, give the comic a chance. It's only one issue. I'd lay off the criticism until we've had time to read more issues. Secondly, I think that it was a great issue. Unlike most, I enjoy the develpment between the human characters. It gives them more dimension.

My favorite thing was the pacing. I really like that IDW is taking they're time with giving information to the readers. There seems to be a real air of mystery about the Autobots and one that I enjoy a lot. Here's to more great issues in the future.