Transformers in Marvel again

Discussion in 'Comic Books and Graphic Novels' started by sevenlima, Jan 2, 2017.

1. sevenlima

sevenlima Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Could Marvel publish Transformers again ?

2. ABH1979

ABH1979 Veteran

um, they could, but it's unlikely that Marvel would get back into the licensed book game again, with everything they have going on, and Hasbro seems happy with IDW. So, it's very unlikely.

Though, my dream would be for Disney to buy Hasbro, so that Transformers would return to Marvel the same way that Star Wars did. And then maybe we could get some good Transformers movies...

• Like Like x 1
  3. Xabungle

Xabungle Well-Known Member

Interesting news... <read thread>
    Dammit, sevenlima'd again. At least put a question mark in the thread title.

4. User_93049

User_93049 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    We had Death's Head show up this week in a Marvel comic. Close enough I guess.

5. mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Death's Head is a Marvel character, though.

I suppose a new crossover event could be possible, though, especially given Hasbro's working relationship with Marvel. There's also the recent IDW/DC collab Batman/Ninja Turtles crossover as precedent.

... actually, wasn't there already a semi-recently Avengers/Transformers cross-over?

As for Marvel publishing Transformers full-stop, not for the foreseeable future. The Hasbro/IDW partnership seems to be going pretty strong, and that'd have to collapse first. And the risk might be that partnering up with a major comic label might result in Hasbro losing some of their control over the Transformers license. But hey, who knows what happens in the future? It's not impossible.

6. bumblebeej8

bumblebeej8 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I've had that same dream. I hope we can get something like that within the next 20 years.

7. Predakwon

Predakwon ...Green Lantern's light!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'd love for Marvel to buy back the Hasbro license solely to reprint quality 80s material of Micronauts (I'd love to get an official reprint of the X-men vs) and GI Joe, and TFs. I hate the way IDW treats the reprints.

8. Xabungle

I found IDW's reprints of the US run to be better than the previous Titan reprints. TFUK reprints are somewhat of a mixed bag for both companies. But I can't imagine Marvel would ever treat a licensed property better in reprints. The only licensed reprint I recall is the Marvel Essentials Godzilla. And though Essentials are better than nothing, they're not on good paper or in color.

9. tikgnat

tikgnat Baweepgranaweepninnybong.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Just wait until Disney by up Hasbro. I'm sure we'll see Transformers in Marvel then.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Predakwon

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I found IDW's reprints showing promise initially, but that paper is so shitty and thick. Then they just got lazy with the scanning and left the spelling errors when it got to the reprinting the Universe. But I do give IDW tons of credit for reprinting material that was never reprinted like the Movie and Universe, etc. My issue with UK reprints is the impractical use of page space for the USA size, the delays and again, paper quality

Marvel reprinted the first 50 issues of GI Joe. Once it got past those issue for IDW's reprints, the quality drops SIGNIFICANTLY. Same as above, the scanning is mediocre at best, spelling errors (2x!!! in the TPB and AGAIN in the HCs). Then there are the delays! Vol 9 is practically a year late! And they aren't even cleaning up the images, just blowing them up bigger.

11. sevenlima

Ebay:
    What if Marvel make a partnership with IDW ?

12. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    Not me. I prefer the better paper and original coloring of the Titan reprints. They are nicer looking, better feeling books. I understand IDW wanting to recolor some of the "mistakes" in Marvel's coloring. But nostalgia is a big part of the enjoyment of these comics for me, so I want them to look as close to the originals as possible. Titan wins that hands down.

And yeah, the Marvel GI Joe reprints crap all over the IDW hack job reprints from a great height. I can't believe how sloppy IDW has been with GI Joe.

• Like Like x 2
  13. convoy84

convoy84 misses you like the deserts miss the rain.

News Credits:
    Please, please, please format your titles better.

You actually made me think that we were gonna get a follow-up to the New Avengers/Transformers arc that came out a while back, or something to that effect.

14. GoLion

GoLion Banned

News Credits:
    My thoughts exactly. I was afraid to voice them, though.

15. Predakwon

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    The thing is IDW started off "correcting mistakes" like the purple Soundwave to blue, but then they gave up towards the end and he's back to purple in the final TPB.

In terms of coloring, I'm ok with either or, but I also enjoyed the Titan TPB very much.

16. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    It's an arrogant thing to do, imo. Like I wouldn't want to buy a Picasso and then find out some jagoff fixed the nose or something, thinking he was being a good guy doing me a favor. That's not helping; that's ruining.

If you're going to reprint the comics, cool -- reprint the comics. I don't want some George Lucas Special Edition of the comics. I want the original thing. That's the entire point.

17. Xabungle

The coloring of the US run was far from perfect, IMO. And I agree that the recoloring was financially motivated - aka a cash grab - since the Titan reprints were of good quality and widely available (at least in my area).

18. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    I'm just saying that since Marvel "miscolored" Soundwave purple from the beginning of the original series all the way through the end of their Generation 2 comic, when I read reprints of the Marvel comics, I want purple Soundwave. I don't want that stuff "fixed", the same way I don't want some overbearing sound engineer cleaning up a sloppy baseline on a reissue of a Rolling Stones album from 40 years ago because he thinks it was a mistake and he thinks he's going to save us all by fixing Bill Wyman's off day. Or some curator at the Louvre fixing the facial proportions of the Mona Lisa. Just re-present the material. They shouldn't try to insert their ego by trying to improve it.

And IDW's done even worse than that by scanning some stuff at a messed up resolution, or relettering stuff for no reason and even managing to add their own new errors in the process. Titan has had their own issues here and there (they've blown a few things in their Modesty Blaise reprint series spectacularly), but their level of quality is head and shoulders above IDW's.

19. sevenlima

Ebay:
    IDW transformers comics are that bad ?

Last edited: Jan 13, 2017
  20. Xabungle

Honestly, having thought about it, I agree with you that if Marvel consistently colored Soundwave purple from the first issue to the end of G2, then purple Soundwave is not an error, but a coloring choice.