Transformers in Iceland - TFsource article

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Maz, Dec 25, 2012.

1. Maz

Maz Square One TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Tumblr:
    A special Christmas article this week from way up North near the Arctic!

Venezuela, Brazil, Argentina, Peru, Mexico, Finland, it seems vintage Transformers had made their way to the most unexpected reaches of the world during their enormous popularity in the eighties. While it is expected that most countries in Europe had access to Transformers toys, it still came as a surprise to discover that the North Atlantic island nation of Iceland had a Transformers history of its own.

Transformers In Iceland | Source Blog <- CLICK TO READ

[​IMG]

Huge thanks to Nexus of Iceland (especially Svenni), Mijo, Morg and Meiradario for their help in producing this week's article.

Gleðileg Jól / Merry Christmas everyone!

All the best
    Maz

Last edited: Dec 25, 2012
  2. Superquad7

Superquad7 OCP Police Crime Prevention Unit 001 Super Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Oh wow what a great read! I really enjoy reading about the history of our favorite brand, and this is a great flavor for such.

Maz, aside from the very noteworthy Takara G1 releases there and the bilingual packages, has your reseach yielded any interesting variants indicative to Iceland, G1 or otherwise? Perhaps one would assume you would have mentioned such, but the tenor of the article seems to be the attempt to provide a more general snapshot of Iceland.

3. Deceptigtar

Deceptigtar Sworn Decepticon Assassin

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    when i saw that first pic with the tftm figs and tmnt, i thought it was the new tmnt at first with tftm figures and was like you got to be kidding me lol.

great read as always.

4. Maz

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Tumblr:
    Cheers guys!

I think the only real special variant they might have received, depending on what individual local stores had imported (and this could be on a seriously small scale in total, let alone individual figures) would be a 1985 Takara white Astrotrain?

No proof though :( 

All the best
    Maz

5. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    Wow they had Takara G1 figures in Iceland. That's incredible.

Iceland is a really cool place. :p 

6. Maz

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Tumblr:
    I'm seeing various messages on facebook like "Yes, it's true. We had an amazing selection of G1 back in the day!!!!" and "I remember the original Takara-toys vividly and didn't quite understand why the later toy-lines were not as exquisitly detailed and robust as that 'first wave' was." and it really surprises me that this has never come to light before. I remember Helgi was a massive TF and pre-TF collector a while back and wondered how an Icelander could have gotten so into early Transformers.

It's a real shame the scene is so quiet now.

All the best
    Maz

7. brr-icy

brr-icy MP Collector

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    great read maz, too bad they hadn't continued with takara, would make finding some of the later stuff a little easier

8. Maz

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Tumblr:
    Yeah absolutely. I think as Takara G1 was only stocked in local toy stores directly imported in the capital and one small town, the chances of finding anything are slim. I'm surprised however that with the show airing in 1987 accompanied by chain stores carrying HM/TM/PM etc that vintage finds are still unheard of.

All the best
    Maz

9. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    Does the very top of that Powermaster Optimus trailer have a sticker on it that says "Transformers"? Right under the cut for the window. then there's a silver stripe going down the sides of the legs. Must be custom using non-sticker stuff from the sticker sheet.

10. Maz

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Tumblr:
    Yep it does very much look like it. I think I did that to the odd childhood TF also.

All the best
    Maz

11. Fighbird

Fighbird Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Awesome article as always. :) 

And cool subject as well! We've had a few icelandic members over at the NTFA through the years, but I never really thought that their stock was any different than what we were getting, so I never heard of the Takara imports before.

Although I don't doubt the fact - considering that several of the sources you've found all say the same - it still seems odd to me that the initial toys released were Takara stock. If the later toys were bi-lingual mainland Europe releases, I would have thought that the early stuff would be MB releases (what with their styrofoam inserts and all that are mentioned).

And a little info nugget on Hasbro Nordic: Hasbro Nordic was non-existant as such back during G1. BRIO in Sweden had the import rights and were in charge of the whole Nordic region - except for Iceland. :)  We didn't get the bi-lingual European stuff at all; after the last wave of quad-linguals from 1987we switched to english (UK?) stock in 1988 (case in point: I store-bought a quad-lingual TM Blurr and soon afterwards an english HM Siren back in the day). Hasbro Nordic was established in the early 2000s.

12. Maz

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Tumblr:
    I was pretty surprised myself and asked the same question more than once, such was my shock at hearing of Takara imports so far from Japan.

Yeah that's what I suspected so I made sure after the interview to send Svenni an email showing Takara G1 and MB cars and he confirmed the accuracy of the imports from Japan.

Well this sort of ties in with what Svenni is saying, it seems while some local stores (again I must stress what a small scale this was on) imported direct from Takara, some of Scandinavia and a significant portion of mainland Europe were getting MB Transformers. Then when as you say Denmark switched to Hasbro UK stock in 1987, Iceland appeared to begin importing Hasbro Europe (will change from Nordic) stock.

The folks who corroborate the Japanese G1 stock story appear to be from the Breiðholt neighbourhood in Reykjavik (see how small scale I'm getting at?). When the Hasbro Europe stock is suggested to have come to Iceland the larger chain stores were stocking them. It is not a million miles away from my theory about Joustra wave 2 having only been stocked in small non-chain stores in parts of Europe as large chain stores would be stocking Hasbro Bradley and MB stock. It could be to do with licensing, and tiny shops doing their own thing. There are stores in San Francisco that had Japanese Diaclone in the 80s, so I'm thinking it was along those lines and not so directly related to the later Hasbro Europe stuff seen in larger chains.

All the best
    Maz

13. EightiesKid

EightiesKid G1 archivist

News Credits:
    Another outstanding article, and I am really enjoying the collector spotlights as well. Very impressive, thanks for your contributions to the TF community.

14. Maz

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Tumblr:
    More than a pleasure my man, thank you for the kind words :thumb 

I just uploaded another Collector Interview for your enjoyment I hope!

All the best
    Maz