Heavy/Scratch: Transformers Hot Glue Blast Effects & Silicone Molding

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by LostPrime, Dec 7, 2019.

1. LostPrime

LostPrime Well-Known Member

Flickr:
    49184427448_615a291a05_k.jpg
    The Transforms War for Cybertron has been a wave of nostalgia refreshing past memories and giving me the chance to collect characters that I couldn’t afford as a kid. I now have kids of my own so lots of this is living vicariously through them – and I am totally loving it.
    My oldest boy only has a paper route so can’t afford ALL the transformers (though with the recent sales and tips from the route he’s managed quite the pile). BUT blast effects… man these little addictive bits of goodness are his Scooby snacks. Whenever a new battle master comes out he doesn’t care two bits about the figure he wants to see the effects and then of course he wants it. A few months back he came into my office and said: “Dad, you fix things and make stuff can’t you just fabricate more of these?”
    But before i tried I ordered some of the Bandai effects kits (see Jhunds post) they weren’t too expensive and you got a number of effects. However they are a little brittle/hard/sharp and my kids didn’t like them – though I think they’re fun.
    aaa.jpg
    So I Googled and found Autobot00’s post and we started our building effects quest there.
    Using a high temp Hotglue and wood shish kabob sticks then later automotive spray paint we formed our first batch of homemade effects. Yes they worked and the kids were having fun if nothing else we spent time making stuff together, but we figure we could do more. After Halloween I cleaned up a bunch of glow sticks kids just threw on the ground and realised… hey these are 5mm! Cutting one open and cleaning the contents out I further discovered the inside perfectly matched the pegs on the siege line. Now we could hot glue onto the emptied glow sticks and the effects could go in barrels or over pegs.
    20191207_091755.jpg
    Next we tried making playdough and clay temporary molds, which we would fill with hot glue this did work but required way more cleanup so back to google and found out how to make molds with silicone caulk sounds silly but the kids liked The Gripsion’s video on that.
    So we made molds – make sure to have good ventilation it smells very strongly of ammonia when you mix the cornstarch with the silicone. We molded the blast effects we already had, we also tried other objects we had around the house some missiles from a superman car, some Bandai effects parts, other random toy parts that looked like they might be “cool” ect.
    20191206_184254.jpg
    20191206_184635.jpg
    Next we filled those molds with hot glue (*note: high temp gun with long nozzle gives best molds), we tried both colored sticks and clear ones, probably painting clear was their favorite and it was easier cleaning them up but refer to the photo’s to make up your own mind. Certainly you save on the cost of the paint if you use colored hot glue. But you can make awesome fire effect blast effects if you use yellow then paint red on one end of them.
    When filling the molds we would take pieces of the glow sticks that we had cut and cleaned out (I used stripped down 14-2 electrical wire cause it was laying around to clean out the sticks in the sink) and insert them into the molds. We also tried inserting the glow sticks after the molds had cooled re-heating/melting the area where the glow stick needs to go and pushing it in then. Both ways work.
    20191206_185313.jpg
    Pulling the molds out reveals less than perfect copies every time but using an x acto knife you can clean most of the defects up and then you can use the tip of the hot glue and sometimes add a little more glue to make each one unique or just smooth out any hiccups the effects might have had. Don’t forget molding your own effects means you can change insert tubes and make effects for any of your figures regardless of the 5mm standard of sieges line. We made multi-piece effects that can connect to each other and individual ones. We made tiny ones and obnoxiously large ones too.
    20191206_192304.jpg 20191206_192048.jpg 20191206_192625.jpg
    Are these as good as the Hasbro ones, no of course not do my kids care? Well I woke up to our dining room table covered in bots and my oldest said it was time to share the fun so other kids (some of us larger than others) can have as much fun as we are.
    20191207_092135.jpg
    20191206_212304.jpg 20191207_091212.jpg
    49185125957_fe22b324df_k.jpg

*For liability reasons, please be careful with tools/knifes/fumes ect I am not a qualified person to be giving out instructions I’m just a guy having fun if you attempt this project you do so at your own risk.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2019
    • Like Like x 54
  2. Arsnof

Arsnof Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Tumblr:
    Holy what

3. Razorquake

Razorquake Well-Known Member

What a superp post.
    Should be reposted in the tutorial thread for posterity.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Dachande

Dachande MULTI-QUOTE- USE IT. Super Mod

News Credits:
    Wonderful write up! I particularly enjoy that it ended up as a family project, with the outcome being perfect without perfection.

I'm thinking to leave it here for a little while for maximum exposure, then I can move it to the tutorial area later for posterity.

• Like Like x 4
  5. Autobot00

Autobot00 Well-Known Member

Thanks for the shout out and these turned out great. I didnt use any molds when I did mine but it's great having options.

Also to add, clear drinking straws are really good for a base if u dont make a mold they dont have 3mm ends so keep that in mind but they are ho llow to make the effect part lighter weight.

For anyone considering this you can get clear hot glue sticks on amazon by the box and it's cheap. I dont know if colored is as cheap.

And using the sleeve of wiring and some clear plastic from toy packaging u can makes stands so make it look like effects are pummeling the ground
    20190902_183051.jpg
    20190902_183124.jpg
    It's always great when a transformers project can be a family project.

• Like Like x 6
  6. Hooper_X

Hooper_X hit dogs holler

This awesome on multiple levels - I love that you found so many creative ways to integrate these into the toys, and I'm a little jealous that you had such a good time with your kids doing so. Above and beyond having fun with the 'bots, that's the kind of thing your kids will remember when they're grown.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Master Farr

Master Farr Banned

The blue one reminds me a lot of the water blobs from rescue heroes

• Like Like x 1
  8. SideswipeFriend2005

SideswipeFriend2005 Mirror Universe Counterpart

Ebay:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    This is one of my favorite takes on custom blast effects, Bravo!

• Like Like x 1
  9. Master Farr

Master Farr Banned

I'm talking about this one in particular

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  10. LostPrime

Flickr:
    That's one of the first ones we did and my oldest son's favorite kind to make. You take the tubing and stick a stick inside it then holding the stick point it down and start by slowing rotating the kabob while adding glue. It sort of drips down. Then when you have it the way you like quickly submerge it in icy cold water. You can dry it off and keep doing the same procedure for a great look. AND you can reverse the drip to go back towards the gun instead of away from it to look more like some of the others with the explosion at the barrel end tapering off as you pull away from the gun.

11. shiftypenguin

shiftypenguin Fancy-Pantsless Dancer

News Credits:
    Absolutely amazing work! Excellent tutorial too.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Master Farr

Master Farr Banned

It's very nostalgic for me. See? Fisher Price Rescue Heroes Smokey Fire dog Sqirt Water Dalmation Card | eBay

13. LostPrime

Flickr:
  14. Dormamu

Dormamu I am Broot.

News Credits:
    This is awesome. And a really great walkthrough. Well done.

• Like Like x 1
  15. theosteve

theosteve Well-Known Member

Very nice work and info.

• Like Like x 1
  16. LostPrime

Flickr:
    You can also follow Edgeitor to make custom ground flame effects and it works pretty good. And then TheTactical Nerdist used his idea to make what looks like flame throwers or fireballs with hot glue and it also turns out great.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2019
  17. Bee427

Bee427 Still here and queer

I can't believe I only just found out that hot glue sticks come in different colors :0 This looks like such a cool project!! I might try this myself in the future, and it's great that your kids had fun too :) 

• Like Like x 1
  18. Dadicus Prime

Dadicus Prime Well Known Dad

Excellent post. We (the kids and I) did some "free style" hot glue blast effects where I basically started with a glob on the end of the barrel of the accessory. We then would add and shape with the hot glue gun. I miiiight have burned my fingers trying to shape it when I thought it was cooler.

Thanks for the mold tips. We're starting to move in this direction but trying to keep it cheap. This was very helpful.

• Like Like x 1
  19. SaiyanBot

SaiyanBot Well-Known Member

You’ve inspired me to make my own. With a twist… just floral wire and hot glue…. These are first attempts

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1