Transformers Haslab Victory Saber Revealed! Crowdfunding Campaign Live!

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by Smokie, Aug 27, 2021.

1. Matrixbeast

Matrixbeast Here comes a thought

Ebay:
    I'm not sure that would be the best route, though. I doubt any figure smaller than Commander would be able to hold the weapon if a 3rd figure was added to the mix.

• Like Like x 3
  2. Illiterate Scholar

Illiterate Scholar Well-Known Member

This is hilariously sad. This just goes to show how much Hasbro is willing to sacrifice for the sake of profits.

The factory I worked with makes those plastic lids you put over the cups in McDonald's and they used the highest quality mold for those. They have to ship millions and millions of these lids so it's easy for the molds to break down, but they were at least willing to pay for high quality molds.

3. PloverNutter

PloverNutter Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    To be fair that is just speculation that the minicon molds are degraded to the point of being useless and your example doesn’t work because they are two different markets. Your factory produces a product they know will be needed for years in high quantities so it makes sense for their molds to be extremely durable. Hasbro makes toys for kids and by extension collectors like us. They need to keep their market’s attention by producing new toys every 3 months while those lids never have to be redesigned unless all of a sudden McDonalds decides to make their cups in the shap of an “M”. At most toys stay in production for two years in order to keep things fresh so there is no need for extremely durable molds.

• Like Like x 9
  4. Illiterate Scholar

Illiterate Scholar Well-Known Member

True. It really goes to show things aren't always what they seem.

• Like Like x 3
  5. mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm also pretty sure toy molds are subject to higher degrees of wear and tear because the ABS plastics are injected at higher temperatures than what's needed for the thin polystyrene of your cheap, disposable lids.

Disposable plastic wares also aren't expected to be toleranced within micrometers.

[Edit] And plastic lids would be vacuu-formed, would they not? Just take a roll of sheet polystyrene, heat it up just a bit, and drape it over a suction mold? That's even less intensive, because you don't even need molten plastic. You can achieve similar results at home with sheet plastic and a hairdryer.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2021
    • Like Like x 8
  6. Wyldmaxx

Wyldmaxx No matter where you go, there you are.

I'm glad it wasn't needed, to be honest, but I would like to see what was planned just in case,

7. Robogeek28

Robogeek28 Proud grandpa

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I am so wanting the next Transformers Haslab to be a Lio-Kaiser combiner set!

As happy as I am to be getting Star Saber, my want for a new (good) Lio-Kaiser set with all the bells and whistles (and a tier with Deathcobra) completely over-shadows my want of Star Saber.

• Like Like x 9
  8. TFXProtector

TFXProtector Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Honestly? I kind of want the Rancor to fail. But only because it'll show Hasbro they need to go back to the drawing board with some of these ideas, designs, and plans.
    HasLab can work, we've seen it be successful, but sometimes only mildly so and they really need to knock it out of the park for it to be crowd funded.

A wake up call is necessary and this might be it.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Bob Schoonover

Bob Schoonover Poorly-Known Member

News Credits:
    One wonders how the recent HasLab results (good and bad) will affect Hasbro's choices for future HasLabs. I think you can make a whole laundry list of reasons for what did and didn't succeed (price, timing, stretch goals, character, subline, etc) with enough "proof" to argue either side.

Just to use Liokaiser as an example, does his adjacency to Star Saber help more than his relative obscurity? What if Legacy Menasor is a comparative flop? What if the Breastmasters have to be stretch goals to hit the right initial price? Is next year (when Saber is arriving and Deathsaurus is very plausibly being teased at PulseCon) too soon for a second Generations HasLab?

If I were a betting man, I'd say the next TF HasLab will hew very closely in *some* manner to the Star Saber one - one or more of: at or under $250; a power-up character (any UT OP, God Ginrai, Thunderwing, Super Bumblebee, maybe three team combiners like Magnaboss, Tripredacus); Generations scale (more or less); and perhaps most importantly, a sufficiently complete set that doesn't have an obvious "you didn't include character or accessory X" item in it (apparently Oola for the Rancor) that causes people to rage quit (for TFs, that might be doing Armada Prime and only including Jetfire and not Overload).

ETA: To put even more of my money where my mouth is, my (plausible) hope would be Energon Optimus with Wingsaber (and Energon Omega Supreme being a plausible Commander for the following year if it's successful), my (wildly insane) hope would be Fire Truck Rodimus, but my bet would be on Armada Optimus Prime

• Like Like x 3
  10. Autobot N

Autobot N Seibertronian

I feel like any sort of Optimus Prime wouldn't need to be a Haslab, any figure of him would be successful at retail

• Like Like x 1
  11. PloverNutter

News Credits:
    I would bet that the next TF HasLab is at least two years away if they haven't already gotten started on the design prior to the Victory Saber campaign. A big factor that goes into why there was a two year wait between Unicron and Victory Saber compared to Marvel and Star Wars having only a year wait in between is that Transformers take much more extensive design engineering. Due to the transforming nature of the TF figures is that any figure needs to work/look good in both modes, articulated without hindering the transformation, have intuitive/fun transformation, and transform without breaking.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Fenrys

Fenrys Formerly Tigatron2002

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    This is true, but a Haslab Powermaster Optimus Prime or Armada Prime wouldn't be restricted by needing to fit into a retail price point, thus could have a much more robust feature set.

• Like Like x 4
  13. Ramberk Magnus

Ramberk Magnus Well-Known Member

I think Rancor is an outlier in terms of its cost-to-fanservice ratio. That is, cost is too high and fanservice is low. Those aren’t equal. Compare that to Victory Saber which had a moderate price but moderate-high fanservice. That’s more balanced.

I don’t blame Hasbro when they mess up and pick the wrong product for the HasLab treatment because— who can predict what fans want at that price level? I don’t think it’s as easy as folks believe.

For example, I thought Sky Striker would be a slam dunk because my assumption was that it was something that really catered to the fans. Maybe the price is a little high but it was still reasonable (IMO). But maybe fans don’t really care for something like that and it’s just hard to come up with ideas for high priced products that have enough appeal.

• Like Like x 4
  14. PloverNutter

News Credits:
    Yeah that is the problem with Hasbro's strict size class/price mentality. They got flexible with SS86 Hot Rod but there is only a $10 gap between Deluxe and Voyager. A PMOP or Armada OP would be in-between Commander and Titan, which we know is up to $190. If the rumored $100 Commander class is true then that still leaves a $90 gap between those two classes so either they go Commander and make them bare bones or Titan and people will complain that it costs too much or that it should have gone to a bigger character. You saw how upset people got when Rodimus was revealed to be a commander figure. He definitely felt like a figure stuck between Leader and Commander. That was only a $30 gap, this would be a price/budget gap three times that size.

• Like Like x 4
  15. Oniconvoy

Oniconvoy The Other Black Repaint

News Credits:
    Absolutely agreed. I think a project or two failing is a good test of this system. If they were all successful, what’s the point of doing this outside of a more direct to consumer model? It’s supposed to be a gauge of fan desire, and that gauge can’t always run in the green.

16. Rakzo

Rakzo Peruvian Transformers Fan

News Credits:
    I don't think POMP really requires Haslab. Is an Optimus so is bound to sell and is not like the engineering needed for it is particularly complex. They basically just need to do what POTP Optimus did and make it better with the Commander Class budget.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Bob Schoonover

Bob Schoonover Poorly-Known Member

News Credits:
    To expand upon this a bit, my reasoning for Armada OP is as follows:

1. There will almost certainly be a push within Hasbro to have a VERY successful HasLab offering after this week, even if both Skystriker (or whatever it's called) and the Rancor just slip past the finish line. I'm glad to see the Proton Pack is past their funding goal with plenty of room to spare, but that's not a Galactus/Star Saber level success to balance out what's happening with the other two. I like the idea of Liokaiser and think Thunderwing would do well enough, but I'm not going to suggest either will be 20K+ pledges good. I'm betting on a lot of internal pressure to make really good, viable HasLabs in the next year or two for both of Marvel and TFs (Marvel has really shot their wad on big, well-known characters, so who knows what's next for them*)

2. It's not that Armada OP wouldn't be successful at retail. It's that he and his two companions (plus Minicons) could be unhampered by price point constraints and shelf space. Consider the retail case in today's market - OP would be a Commander, Jetfire is probably a Leader and Overload is either a Leader or Voyager, and none of them have a particularly tantalizing mold re-use (other than Final Battle colors, but that's way outside current exclusive price points other than Titan repaints) (unless you think Sentinel Maximus or Energon Ultra Magnus is a big draw). That's a big investment into molds that won't get re-used (yes, it's not hard to point to any year and show that the Commander and two Leaders didn't get re-used, but that then creates a lot of pressure on the rest of the line-up for mold re-use).

3. Hasbro is in no way hampered by the number of Optimus Prime options they can put on the shelves at retail - I can think of a half dozen easy that'd all happily take a Leader or Commander slot** - which actually suggests that putting one out through HasLab would be the least harmful option for the long term viability of the line. Hasbro will always have an OP on the shelves, but it'll take years and years before they're really close to exhausting retro designs. Why not do Ginrai at retail and Armada OP via HasLab (or vice versa, really)?

4. HasLabs generally have a "if you fund this, we'll also toss out some related characters in the next year or so" ethos to them. The Sail Barge got the Skiff and a three pack (I think I'm remembering that right), Unicron get 2 Selects and 1 retail release in toy colors (plus at least one more, we think), etc. We've been told by leakers that Deathsaurus at Leader or Commander would be pretty likely if we had a successful Star Saber campaign, for example. Armada OP is a very, very easy figure around which to plan the "if this goes well ..." part of the HasLab campaign.

ETA
    5. Of all the incarnations of OP, RID2001 and Armada have the power-up modes that are the least recognizable as Optimus Prime (the unadorned smaller robot modes both look very much like OP, of course). If you're working through the list of OPs to do next and at all worried about recognizability/box art or anything else (a minor concern, to be sure, but worth breaking a tie amongst *which* OP to do next), that may matter for the ever-shrinking retail space

*The Danger Room would be lit, but playsets are so different from big figures, so who knows? I do know that Eternity, the Celestials, etc., aren't in the Galactus/Sentinel tier of popularity and if my job depended on a very good showing, I wouldn't recommend any other overly large Cosmic Being

**Ginrai/PMOP, Star Convoy, G2 Fire Truck, Machine Wars, Optimal Optimus, RID2001, Armada, Energon, Cybertron, WFC (video game)

Last edited: Dec 6, 2021
    • Like Like x 4
  18. Ramberk Magnus

Ramberk Magnus Well-Known Member

Maybe, maybe not. I look at what 3P is doing with their versions of PMOP and I don’t think Hasbro can emulate that level of complexity at the commander class price point. That’s how I see it.

I don’t want a leader class PMOP that has a little bit extra engineering and fine tuning. I want something you can’t buy in mass retail from Hasbro but designed by Hasbro/Takara. This requires a bigger budget. I don’t want any compromises because it’s mass retail and must hit a price point.

That’s what would be most appealing to me but I also get that we all want different things and my interests are not better/worse then what you or someone else would want.

19. Magna Prime

Magna Prime Well-Known Member

Should've specified. Mudslinger. I bought the pack just for him back in the day and I'll stillaintain he's my favorite micromaster

• Like Like x 1
  20. RKillian

RKillian http://www.rktoyandhobby.com

News Credits:
    From what I read, they made the mistake of sizing it to only O-ring Joes and not 25th Joes. That all but killed my interest because I collected the latter but have zero interest in the former.