Transformers Haslab Victory Saber Revealed! Crowdfunding Campaign Live!

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by Smokie, Aug 27, 2021.

1. Astrotrain52

Astrotrain52 Former Green Kool-aider

News Credits:
    That's assuming that the average mass market Transformers fan would know who Victory Saber was. If Hasbro could have released this through the mass market, they certainly would have. This is a project specifically aimed at the more dedicated fanbase that had enough money to have a $600+ for Unicron held up for over year, during a pandemic.

I mean...this isn't their first rodeo in HasLab, nor the Transformers brand with HasLab, no less. Other than Cookie Monster, every single HasLab project has been funded. You think there would be some fast track to production. By now, it has certainly been proved that the Marvel, Star Wars, and Transformers fans will put good money down and have it held up for a year at minimum. The market definitely exists. I think we're past the point of uncertainty...

Now, if they were making a jumbo sized Count or Grover puppet, I'd understand the hesitancy.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2021
  2. Jeddostotle7

Jeddostotle7 Well-Known "Member"

the point stands, they wouldn't have made it HasLab if they were as sure of its success as you seem to think they are

if they didn't think it would do well at retail but were certain there was enough fan demand to already be confident enough to put that much momey into it, they would've just released as a Pulse exclusive item or something

it being HasLab in and of itself means they're not confident enough in its success to put that much investment into it up front

• Like Like x 8
  3. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    Instagram:

Literally none of that has to do with the production cycle time. Also, why would other Haslabs being funded at all be an indication that this would be funded? That literally defeats the entire purpose of the crowdfunding idea to start production before you know it's going to be funded.

• Like Like x 13
  4. Jmaster99

Jmaster99 Well-Known Member

Mines only breaks if I step full force one legged on it, anything else won't even leave a scratch

• Like Like x 1
  5. mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    To be fair, there's definitely been an uptick of poorly designed translucent parts as of late. Because of cost-cutting measures, parts aren't as thick or reinforced as much as they used to be, and as Hasbro has been experimenting with their limits, there've been a number of parts that have skirted too far into the fragile category.

With proper precautions in place, translucent plastic shouldn't be an automatic red flag.

• Like Like x 7
  6. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    I remember when TF figs not having translucent plastic was a big stink. I think it was specifically 2007 Classic Camaro Bumblebee who had painted windows and no clear plastic that made everyone think it was so cheap.

• Like Like x 15
  7. YellowCorvette

YellowCorvette Just a guy who watched too much Gundam

News Credits:
    As much as some does give flak on HasTak for occasionally cheapening out with something like the Combiner Wars line that uses painted windshield and windows instead of clear plastic for those figures, TBH I would rather have structurally solid figures with painted windows like that 100 times over whatever HasTak was doing with using clear plastic on vital joints such as on SS86 Jazz or the ER Datsun mold nowadays.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2021
    • Like Like x 12
  8. RoadCaesar

RoadCaesar Well-Known Member

I adore the gaming chair economists arguing what Hasbro should/shouldn't do at retail. It's always a good read and entertaining as all hell because it's just. so. far. off.

I wonder if some of these fringe views are misinformed by trying to view toy production and sales in 2021 through a nostalgia lens of 1980-92. Or even thru 2000.

Toy companies are dancing a razor's edge. So many companies have shuttered or been absorbed into a massive conglomerate (Hasbro) because demand plummeted over time as alternatives (video games) caused that demand to dwindle.

Combine that with inflation and rising production costs and that's how you end up with a Haslab Victory Saber or Skystriker when 1980s Toys-R-Us shelves should have had them stacked 10-high/deep at 1/3 the cost in 2021.

So if Hasbro opts to skip out on articulation in the fingers for Victory Saber, and charge the price that they have, I can either choose to pay that price or skip it in favor of a 3rd party (which isn't any cheaper and much more scarce.) How many 3rd Party Victory Saber alternatives are there? They didn't even complete MP Victory Saber at Takara. And a few in the vocal curmudgeon minority think he should have gone to general retail?

tl;dr: We're lucky Hasbro is still marketing to adult collectors or at least former collectors that want to pass that childhood enjoyment experience on to their kids. Without that...well...just look at the standard toy aisles. The target demographics are obvious, as are the inventory levels (pre-supply chain disruption.)

• Like Like x 15
  9. I Am James

I Am James Emirate Xaaron

Instagram:
    YouTube (Old):
    In all fairness, that breakage is accurate to the G1 Jazz toy.

• Like Like x 11
  10. ze collecter

ze collecter Brotherhood Paladin

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Old):
    I just remembered, being on the same sprue doesn't necessarily mean it's going to be the same type of plastic. Gunpla has different plastics on the same sprue all the time.

• Like Like x 4
  11. Gumblor Gimbles

Gumblor Gimbles Norn' Ironhide

News Credits:
    He has a single swivel at the knuckle that serves no purpose besides making his grip on a sword/gun look more natural, swivelling the fingers out all the way looks silly. Compare that with Rodimus' joints at the knuckle, the middle-finger joint and one finger with independent movement of the others.
    One joint simply isn't enough for Victory Saber, given his price.

• Like Like x 2
  12. mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Multi-gate injection isn't typically used for standard manufacturing. It's a trickier process that will slow things down under standard constraints.

Bandai does it more as a flex than anything. Maybe it saves them some degree of money in the long run (cuts down slightly on packaging costs, for instance), but it's a much more expensive process than standard single-colour molding.

• Like Like x 1
  13. TFXProtector

TFXProtector Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yes, this was already answered for me, I don't need it in stereo or surround sound, thanks. Once will suffice.

14. dragon

dragon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Anyone doesn’t find it weird pictures are shown on some person table in there home not in warehouse factory.,

I see no mold nice interesting pictures to share

15. Oniconvoy

Oniconvoy The Other Black Repaint

News Credits:
    Not really. These kinds of decisions are made in the office, not the factory floor.

• Like Like x 11
  16. T-Hybrid

T-Hybrid Zenryoku zenkai!

News Credits:
    But then we get clear windows and people flip because you can see through to the chaotic robot stuff inside.

Painted plastic lets them hide stuff inside the car alt without having to worry about internal aesthetics.

• Like Like x 2
  17. T-Hybrid

T-Hybrid Zenryoku zenkai!

News Credits:
    27,000 people disagreed.

• Like Like x 10
  18. Gumblor Gimbles

News Credits:
    im one of them, and ill gladly buy the inevitable hand upgrade kit. ;) 

19. Illiterate Scholar

Illiterate Scholar Well-Known Member

Same. I love articulated fingers. I just wish this also had an ab crunch since his transformation seems pretty simple. Would have been nice to have, but I know it probably won't.

20. Gumblor Gimbles

News Credits:
    I'm fine without abs, but i only bought saber because I know there will be upgrade kits.

I imagine at least 1000-2000 people backed saber with the expectation that there'd be upgrade kits down the line, to fix issues like the hands.