Transformers Hall of Fame Vote Round (2018 TRANSFORMERS HASBRO TOY OF THE YEAR)

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by Tony_Bacala, Jun 14, 2018.

?

Favorite 2018 Hasbro Toy

Poll closed Jun 29, 2018.
  1. POTP Battletrap

36.7%
  2. POTP Optimus Prime

20.2%
  3. POTP Rodimus Unicronus

5.8%
  4. SS Blackout

22.8%
  5. SS Grimlock

9.8%
  6. SS Starscream

4.6%
  1. G.B. Blackrock

G.B. Blackrock Autobot Ally

News Credits:
    You have to understand, I absolutely despise the live-action movie aesthetic. I will never, ever, consider a movie-aesthetic toy for best anything.

• Like Like x 1
  2. WishfulThinking

WishfulThinking The world has moved on...we've always said.

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    The only exception I can think of, for myself, is Evasion mode Optimus Prime. I was incredibly impressed by that toy and still am.

• Like Like x 1
  3. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    So you're not really one to judge on what's a better product, then?

Because if you can't honestly put aside your personal feelings to objectively compare things, what's the point?

4. G.B. Blackrock

News Credits:
    I'm just as much qualified to judge what's a better product as anyone else. Just because my criteria does not match yours does not in any way invalidate mine. There is no such thing as "objective" in this discussion. None.

5. GizmoTron

GizmoTron Roobaticon Commander

Ebay:
    Duocons are definitely a viable gimmick, but the side effect is we end up with new characters like Roadtrap whose entire point is only that he's the another robot's pair of pants. So I hope that after they're done with Flywheels, the next pair of guys are given a bit more personality.

• Like Like x 1
  6. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    I'm not talking about the poll, I'm talking about your statement of Battletrap having no competition.

If he's only the best toy because you're simply ignoring most of the others released this year, is he really all that great? In regards to the poll, I find it funny how many fans begrudge gimmicks yet vote in a figure based purely on the gimmick rather than the merits of the actual toy(s). I just got SS Megs and am blown away by how solid and just fun to pose he is, and how simple yet still intricate his transformation is. The joint design, tabs, tolerances, it's all perfect. Battletrap feels cheap and looks just so bad in vehicle modes, I'm shocked it was released the same year as any SS figure.

7. G.B. Blackrock

News Credits:
    Not "ignoring." Disqualified. Important difference. You have no right to tell me I'm wrong to do so.

• Like Like x 1
  8. GizmoTron

GizmoTron Roobaticon Commander

Ebay:
    It is just a popularity contest, after all.

• Like Like x 5
  9. Aldo

Aldo Well-Known Member

I think while Studio Series has better overall looks, the PotP figures are much better due to their articulation and great gimmicks.

Grimlock looks great, but his Alt mode is full of gaps in places there shouldn’t be and there’s a few clearance issues as well when transforming him.

Starscream has some posing issues, and it doesn’t help that he’s just an upscaled version of the deluxe figure they released 7+ years ago.

Blackout has some balance issues and the paint on his feet easily scratchs off due to it being on the bottom. Though he is practically masterpiece quality when it comes to his transformation, so he clearly is the best SS figure so far.

Meanwhile, Battletrap features 2 new characters that makeup a fantastic update to what could have been a boring Generations figure.

PotP Optimus is practically Master Piece Level when you take his articulation into account and the figure looks amazing. But, the Alt mode was clearly compromised for the sake of the combine mode and he has a slight back bag with Orion Pax legs sticking out. So I can see why people are put off by him. But hopefully the Nemesis Prime repaint will help the Alt mode not look too bad.

Rodimus Unicronus would be perfect if his shoulders weren’t so bad. There is a third party fix for that, but I shouldn’t have to pay an extra $15 so my figure’s shoulders don’t pop off. I can’t complain about anything else though. His Alt mode is fantastic, nemesis Hot Rod looks good, and you can do so many fan modes with the trailer part that it’s phenomenal. If Rodimus Prime has a unified paint scheme like Unicronus does, he would be in the same discussion. But the mismatching reds hurts to see.

• Like Like x 1
  10. allew

allew Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Just voted for #BATTLETRAP on facebook! Hoping this leads to an upcoming Flywheels (I actually don't mind his new name from Titans Return, Skytread)! Glad to see Battletrap made it with help from the members here of tfw2005, no thanks to one unamed tf fansite that disqualified him from being voted on by their members entirely because it was a two-part toy (technicalities) :) 

11. NotRamjet97

NotRamjet97 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I mean... whatever site that is isn't wrong. It's like if Game of the Year went to an expansion pack.

Honestly Blackout is really the only logical choice, as he can pull off both of his modes without compromise, has been requested for a good ten years now (I'm sure people were just as hyped for Casual-Friday Blue-jeans there and ANOTHER Optimus), and you don't need a second figure to complete him (heck he COMES with a second figure).

• Like Like x 1
  12. Digger

Digger Banned

News Credits:
    Yeah it's weird. I don't get all the battle trap hype especially since it's two figures and it'd be better off without them. Blackout is a much more interesting and clever figure and even prime has a certain charm.

13. denebian

denebian I've got better things to do tonight...

News Credits:
    Its a shame upcoming toys can't be considered, because Punch Counterpunch would have my vote.

• Like Like x 3
  14. G.B. Blackrock

News Credits:
    Quite honestly, if there IS going to be a "toy of the year" category, Hasbro needs to create a list, and have it distributed widely, so that all sites can agree on the precise terms of what counts.

• Like Like x 1
  15. WishfulThinking

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Upcoming toys were votable. We just had no clue how awesome Punch/Counterpunch was going to be before we voted. It just goes to show that voting in the middle of the year is stupid. Either we should vote in Q4 or Q1 for the prior year so that everyone has toys in hand to make a good choice.

• Like Like x 2
  16. G.B. Blackrock

News Credits:
    "Middle of the year" would have been perfectly fine if the powers-that-be would only have sent a list of eligible toys that encompassed a full year. Q3 '17 to Q2 '18, for example.

(I'd previously commented that we need such a list so that all sites know they're voting for the same potential figures)

17. WishfulThinking

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    I'd agree with that except I can see Hasbro being nervous about that if something unannounced ends up on it.

18. G.B. Blackrock

News Credits:
    Well, since (in my proposal) it's Hasbro putting out the list, it's Hasbro's own fault if there are leaks, isn't it?

(Also, since I'm assuming a *PAST* year list, leaks shouldn't be an issue, anyway)

19. WishfulThinking

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    There's also a chance that they'd edit the list down instead of sending out a potential 15 page PDF. Figures like Battletrap might not make it to an edited list...or may restrict them to individual releases.

I dunno. I just think voting on calendar year offerings, Jan. 2017 - Dec. 2017, in 2018 at any time is better than voting on Jan. 2018 - Dec. 2018 in June 2018 -- list or no list.

20. G.B. Blackrock

News Credits:
    But my proposal isn't "Jan. 2018 - Dec. 2018 in June 2018" It's (theoretically) June 2017 - May 2018 in June 2018. I thought I made that clear when I said "Q3 '17 to Q2 '18, for example."