Transformers Generations: War for Cybertron Earthrise

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by Jtprime17, Oct 1, 2019.

1. AOEGalvatronRox

AOEGalvatronRox Collector

News Credits:
    Except they didn’t? I realize this is all subjective and everyone is going to have different opinions. However, and maybe this is because of the expectations that the Cybertron games set, there is nothing Cybertronian about the designs in Siege. The Autobots pretty much transform into their earth vehicle modes with additional mechanical detailing and greebling. The Decepticons either transform into blocks of nothing, or earth vehicle modes with additional mechanical detailing and greebling. The robots are, quite literally, their G1 designs with additional mechanical detailing and greebling. It’s cool if other people are happy with what’s been happening so far with the WFC Trilogy. It’s just, for me, with all of the design iterations that these characters have been through, plus the setting that Hasbro never took advantage of, it’s honestly hard to not be disappointed.

I’ve enjoyed Siege, I became more heavily invested in it than I initially planned to, but I have no plans to buy from Earthrise. I’m tempted, but I’m not going to.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Yaujta

Yaujta Split second of divinity... Moderator TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    In reality, how is this different than the movie lines? Same designs rehashed over the last 12 years with slight variances thrown in. The SS line is doing exactly what the main line is doing by revisiting the 2007 movie again and again.
    I totally get the complaint about the lack of variance in design from G1, but the 2007 movie is technically the live action G1 and movie fans are clamoring for them to be remade and whatnot.
    Same exact premise, different focus.

• Like Like x 9
  3. TheSuperion

TheSuperion Am...were...Aerialbots

There's a good reason they went with that aesthetic instead of something more cybertronian. They wanted the figures to easily slide into people's existing CHUG collections. And most of these characters - if not all of them - have never gotten a definitive CHUG version.

For instance: Optimus Prime. I don't know if you've already forgotten, but a lot of people were not huge fans of either the Combiner Wars or Titans return voyagers, and were hanging onto their Classics Optimus in the hopes that G1 Optimus would eventually get a new toy that wasn't hampered by a line-wide gimmick and being a pretool for another character. And lo and behold, they finally go their wish granted this year.

Now, you can argue that what hasbro is doing with Earthrise Optimus was a bait and switch. And you're absolutely right, because Hasbro is in the business of selling toys for profit, and this is the latest version of what they were already pulling with pretools - aka intentionally releasing the last two Voyager Optimus toys BEFORE released before their more desirable retools, so some collectors would still pick them up for the novelty factor. You all should really see this coming by now, and it's not Hasbro's fault if you keep falling for it.

That being said, it's also good business to release a new Optimus every year, cause he's the franchise mascot, and he always sells well. If you're bothered by this stuff, be smart and hedge your bets, even if it means you have to wait longer before you buy a new toy of one of your favorite characters. Hasbro is doing just fine, so they can totally handle some collectors waiting until toys go down in price and/or are supplanted by next year's version. It's really paid off for me in particular: most of the figures I've bought this year, I've bought on sale and/or or on the aftermarket. But I also have a very tight budget, so it's a necessity for me in the way it isn't for a lot of people here.

As it stands: I'm still hanging onto my Combiner Wars Optimus Prime. Eventually, I'll have a choice between a very reasonably priced WFC: Siege Optimus or Earthrise Optimus, given that the latter is undoubtedly gonna crass in price now that the new toy is coming out, and the latter will inevitably go on sale on Amazon and elsewhere - like every Leader class figure released this year. That, BTW, is also how I ended up with Shockwave for 30 dollars instead of 50.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2019 at 7:48 AM
    • Like Like x 6
  4. Shizuka

Shizuka Optimus Prime's scriptor

News Credits:
    I agree, as I intend on buying a few of these, and they will be my first G1 figures.

• Like Like x 3
  5. Shizuka

News Credits:
    It's different because the movies were an ongoing series these last 12 years whereas G1 ended decades ago, and the SS is a remake of the figures to more accurately represent the movie characters since many of them were based off of concept art e.g. RotF Megatron. That's why fans are "clamoring" for them to be remade, it's easy to make cartoon accurate G1 figures, but we're only getting accurate movie figures since Hasbro has been using the ILM files. However, it took 10 years to get a Bonecrusher and Blackout in the right scale and movie-accurate and more than 10 years to get a Devastator with individual transforming components. Meanwhile, how many 3P Devastators have been made? How many times has it appeared in the mainline? The majority of the characters released with every movie were new characters, and the older characters were remade with better engineering.

I don't mind G1 figures having an ongoing presence in the franchise, getting better figures as engineering improves, but the biggest difference between G1 and the movie is that G1 is suddenly the basis of everything: the theme of the toyline with WFC, and the past few lines; the comics, the TV show, the majority of the TCG game. When has the movies been the basis of anything outside of its own line? It's certainly not the inspiration for Siege. Siege could have been inspired by G1, Earthrise could have been inspired by Armada, but it's not, they both were inspired by G1 and the the next line likely will too. The movie aesthetic will never bleed through to any part of the line. I'll bet that the upcoming mobile game will also be based on G1.

• Like Like x 1
  6. tigatron2002

tigatron2002 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    3p shouldn’t matter in regards to what hasbro does, it’s a different market, and your devastator example is a poor one considering g1 devastator has only shown up in a modern mainline once, combiner wars. And you say that people are clamoring for accurate, in scale versions of movie figures, yet that is exactly what the wfc trilogy is doing with g1

• Like Like x 6
  7. Shizuka

News Credits:
    While I admit that I must have been thinking of something when it comes to a mainline Devastator, I wasn't making a distinction between mainline or 3P, as my point is about figures being made in general, and so my point still stands. I already said that I have no problem with G1 having a permanent place in the line, but there is still a difference between G1 and the movies. SS is the only remake of the movieline. There's little reason to complain about why we're getting movie figures while the movies are ongoing, but it's fair to ask why G1 is the focus - my main point which you neglected, when G1 is over. There is a difference between putting G1 in a subline like SS so that fans can get more modern version of them because as I said, I don't have a problem with G1 being in the line, and having G1 being the focus of the franchise. I enjoyed the films, but if they were the basis of the franchise going forward I would complain the same way. Transformers should be reiterating and evolving not stay stuck in the past. But that's my opinion.

8. spark crusher

spark crusher Well-Known Member

im kinda torn with starscream, on the one hand, siege has better articulation, and i like the alt mode but on the other, ER doesnt use a fake cockpit and has a cleaner bot mode. i wish they had just put some effort into making a new figure, or at least redesign the chug one to have a waist, even if it was ust the crotch piece that moved. im prob still going to get it just to see what its like in hand.

9. Georgii10235

Georgii10235 A member for fun

News Credits:
    No need to! I started collecting MPs and Studio Series. I was going to skip on the WfC line but I've seen now that it's one of the best main lines we've gotten in years and maybe even ever. I'm glad these exist and even have shared engineering aspects from their MP counter-parts. While MPs are the definitive G1 figures for me, there are just some characters who will either never get an MP treatment or will take years to come out.

Value is subjective, but WfC and ER are bang for your buck 100%. MPs are worth the price if you're willing to pay for it, and you can easily get them under MSRP if you look in the right places. MP-44 MSRP was $450 but most people got him for around $300. MPs are bigger, completely painted, have higher quality materials, higher points of articulation and advanced engineering. Most of the value in MPs are their display presence, WfC/ER are better toys IMO.

I'm more than happy to collect both. In fact, the line makes me more excited for the MP line since there are characters being made that could very well be made into Masterpiece versions soon.

10. tigatron2002

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    A distinction between 3p and official needs to be made though, otherwise it’s an unreasonable position to put hasbro in. Are they not supposed to do figures for g1 versions of their own characters because a 3p beat them to it?

• Like Like x 3
  11. Shizuka

News Credits:
    I already stated that it's fine for G1 to be in the toyline and to get more modernized figures, so I don't know why you're acting like I said that Hasbro shouldn't be making new figures. My whole point was how Hasbro handles movie figures and G1 is different.

• Like Like x 1
  12. tigatron2002

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    That is true more or less, up until the wfc trilogy where hasbro is making screen accurate figures in scale based on media (just like studio series). All of the previous g1 inspired lines deviated from the original designs, putting their own spin on them. Wfc is essentially a generations reboot (though yes, older figures still fit) that has a similar design goal to the movie figures

13. Gaigaan Dnok

Gaigaan Dnok King of Daikaiju

That's because fan reaction to movie figures and G1 is different.

• Like Like x 8
  14. kaijuguy19

kaijuguy19 Keyblade Wielder

News Credits:
    My big concern with Hasbro rebooting Generations like this is not because they're making more G1 styled figures or using G1 characters as a whole right now but rather of what they'll take with it in the future. Sure both Siege and Earthrise are giving us either new definitive takes on the classic G1 characters as well as giving those that never had an update before now, but how do we know they won't decide to just do it all over again once WFC is finished regardless if any of the new figures in WFC or really any past Generations line for that matter are perfectly fine as they are and are no need of revisiting? For all we know Hasbro can very well enter in a Stacy Malibu territory where literally the only thing different is only a new weapon or eye color.

Is it overreaction on my part? Maybe and I hope it is cause I know why Hasbro keeps on giving us more G1 stuff but all the same with them trying to push G1 this hard to the point of having no other TF era aside from the movieverse get modern updates because they want to push familiarity, I don't think I'm the only one who has some worries of where the brand will go from here.

• Like Like x 1
  15. bellpeppers

bellpeppers A Meat Popsicle

News Credits:
    The last Optimus I bought was Siege, only because I was too cynical to believe ER would happen.
    Prior to that I got an open box half off deal on CW Optimus... but to be my Optimus, but a project that I have yet to do...
    My Optimus has always been Classics Optimus. No other Optimus since that original 2006 has cut it.

• Like Like x 2
  16. bellpeppers

bellpeppers A Meat Popsicle

News Credits:
    I have no worries.
    If I like it, I’ll get it. If I don’t I won’t.

• Like Like x 2
  17. Rodimus Prime

Rodimus Prime Sola Gratia, Sola Fide TFW2005 Supporter

I was more afraid of them doing WfC, and then going all MTMTE in the next trilogy.

18. butz

butz slippery when wet

I'm hopeful that this seeming reboot of Generations was done with some level of planning and forethought.
    They're hitting G1 pretty hard right now at the start; this could well be an effort to get as much as they can out of it before putting it to bed for a while.
    Personally, I'd like to see Beast Wars (Machines too), and then Armada get tackled next with the same attention to scale and character models that we're getting with WFC and Studio Series. I'd like to see this happen with a similar level of thoroughness too- not just a couple random characters from different series each year, and not just as redecos of existing molds.

19. RodimusRex

RodimusRex Well-Known Member

As a counterpoint, Batman, Superman, and Captain America get new costumes every 6-12 months now and it was a big deal when Superman went back to a close version of his pre-2011 look and Batman did the same. And they’re about to change again.

I appreciate that Transformers keep coming back to what are essentially different illustrator takes on the same 3-4 designs per character. Particularly as these aren’t suits of clothes but simply how the characters look.

It matters a bit to me that while the details may change, there’s effectively one Optimus Prime who’s had a few looks, which is what Warden has leaned into. Armada, G1, RiD, Aligned — it’s all one set of characters now. There’s one Optimus and he’s all of the Optimuses in different arrangements of the same story.

• Like Like x 2
  20. Shin Densetsu

Shin Densetsu I WILL DESTROY YOU Super Mod

News Credits:
    The reason the WFC turned out that way is because at least 1 of the MP designers(Hasui Shogo who designed MP10 and others) is working on WFC.

• Like Like x 4