Transformers Generations: War for Cybertron Earthrise

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by Jtprime17, Oct 1, 2019.

1. drmick

drmick Well-Known Member

Maybe it's just me but his hands look blue to me in that picture, albeit a different shade to his head and legs.

• Like Like x 2
  2. RKillian

RKillian http://www.rktoyandhobby.com

News Credits:
    After you drive to Vietnam to assemble them yourself, right?

In all seriousness, I don't believe that you're interpreting the downward slide of the "kids" line correctly. Cyberverse being so in-your-face awful is clearly a cost cutting measure. The lower price point serves two purposes. One, obviously, is to convince parents to buy them for kids they've dragged to the store with them and are "inexplicably" acting up. They're like junk food. It shuts them up right now. What happens tomorrow is a problem for tomorrow.

The other is that it reduces Hasbro's costs when these unsold toys are sent back to them. Stores don't clearance everything out. They send alot of it back to the manufacturer. With fewer, bigger players in the market, they tend to dictate terms more than the little guy who just eats whatever turns out to be unsellable garbage. Walmart here has pulled entire size classes and lines, with MicroMasters being the most recent example. Bumblebee movie toys collected dust for months before up and disappearing from everywhere all at once. There's also no market to repack these unsold figures into "solid" cases because specialty stores aren't touching those lines with a ten foot pole.

The question in my mind is why they bother releasing such obviously poor product at all. And the answer to that is that the _brand_ has value. They need to keep the brand recognition out there, lest a modern GoBots or something else fill the vacuum for robot toys. So they make junk to fill shelf space (also why "new" lines recycle the same handful of characters). But it's got to be cheap cheap cheap because it's _not_ going to explode like the original line did 35 years ago.

Of course, the concern that I have is that nobody has cut their way to success. I think that every time some store chain decides to close a few hundred stores. Think about the way those stories are reported. They don't have enough traffic, so let's make it hard to get to a store. Their inventory and service are lacking, so let's cut staff and selection. They don't have enough buying power at wholesale, so let's reduce sales volume that drives the size of wholesale orders. On paper, they save on labor by cutting some minimum wage workers, but they're drops in the ocean compared to legions of senior executive assistant vice presidents of synergy at the home office. I'm not saying those stores didn't get too big for the market they're supporting. I'm saying that the stores they close to "refocus" or whatever euphemism they use are just the first steps in a march towards the grave.

But then that's just me thinking beyond a plastic crack addiction.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2019
    • Like Like x 3
  3. GizmoTron

GizmoTron Roobaticon Commander

Ebay:
    Maybe he's not "butt hurt"? Maybe he just has standards?

Fun Fact: Transformers has survived 35 years because it's a successful kids line that doesn't rely on the dollar of man-babies who demand everything look like a 35 year old TV series.[/QUOTE]

But you're not making any points, you're just crying in the corner calling people stupid and man-babies because they don't like your toy.

You know that's total crap. You can be a fan of something and still criticize the product, it is allowed and quite common. You don't have to be sunshine and rainbows and love every Transformer ever to be a fan, either, and you can even see something you love like a G1 styled Optimus and still be critical about it. In fact that criticism is what has led Hasbro to eliminate hollow spots and foil stickers, and even led to more articulate figures coming for Cyberverse characters, so it can do some good to let Hasbro know what it is about their product that they could do better.

The thing is though, if you don't agree with the criticism, fine, but it's just criticism towards Hasbro, not you. You don't have to read it, or acknowledge it, and you certainly don't have to play gatekeeper for the fandom and try to say other people should go away just because they don't like what you like. Like, seriously... if you think @DutyBeforeAll is being so miserable, what does that make you when you're spending your morning on a message board whining about him?

I don't think anyone is actually mad, but it is disappointing. I mean they make a great figure but then they leave his hands unpainted and the trailer a big blob of grey, it just makes it look cheap and half finished, and it makes you wonder if Hasbro, bottom line or not, deserves $50 for that.

Plus it's not really about doing it yourself. You can always paint and customize your toys, but the thing is these aren't actually model kits, so how much should you really have to? And with this release, I think the amount Hasbro has left undone is a bit more noticeable and more than a bit questionable.

• Like Like x 5
  4. spark crusher

spark crusher Well-Known Member

i cant believe how daft people are being over the colour of the hands of a childrens toy XD if it bothers you that much, paint them or pretend hes wearing gloves XD and people seem to be blaming the trailer, but i dont think theres been any connection between the trailer and hand sprue, i think the repair thing, hands and leg panels were all originaly going to be gated together, but then they found it wasnt feasible due to the limitations with the moulds or was cheaper to bundle them into spaces on already existing part moulds, thus keeping it withing budget as moulds are one of the most expensive part of a figures production. anyway, im still really looking forards to prime and all the others. anyone know if the 10 pack will be getting a release in earthrise? would make sense

5. Yoshimon7

Yoshimon7 Potion Maker

Ebay:
    On the topic of them grey hands, how difficult would it be to dye them blue? I feel like the plastic would absorb the color pretty easily but the main problem is the pin. I feel like that might be difficult to remove.

6. tigatron2002

tigatron2002 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    standards are fine to have, but they should be balanced with rationality. having the hands be blue would mean that the mold for the lower legs would have to be on a larger piece of steel, thus increasing the price. people are already bitching enough about this being a "$50 voyager". if they increased the size of the steel for the mold then that might push the budget to making it a $60 figure and then all the people complaining about the grey hands would be complaining about the price even more.

• Like Like x 5
  7. DutyBeforeAll

DutyBeforeAll Well-Known Member

I’d happily pay $80 for The set if Prime looked like the render.
    I was paying $50 for Takara Voyagers instead of $25 for hasbro just because of paint apps and no stickers.

The price isn’t the issue, it’s seeing something you want and having the final product be a disappointment.
    I know that they are going to sell, and probably sell well enough that any criticism I give isn’t going to mean anything to hasbro.

But if this place isn’t where I can go to bitch about transformers then where is?

At 15 and 16 years old I was willing to compromise because of price, as a 36 year old with a full time job I find myself more concerned with the product than it’s price.

• Like Like x 5
  8. RKillian

RKillian http://www.rktoyandhobby.com

News Credits:
    It's perfectly rational to decide not to buy it too. Perhaps, when it's on clearance for $25, I may reconsider...if I haven't spent the money somewhere else. Anybody who's traveled out of their retail desert to the lush green fields of Convention Land knows that there's no shortage of other stuff to buy.

The only reason that I even entertain the argument about cost is because I've seen it play out first hand. There are times that I almost imagine that these things are done to punish us.

In fairness, I didn't like the render either because of the blue leaking out of the sides of the trailer. It's very sad that price is the point around which the entire universe revolves.

9. GizmoTron

Ebay:
    So, basically the old Takara prices? Honestly, yes some wouldn't like the price, and there's some who will never be happy with the product no matter what Hasbro does. But we've been there done that, and I think a lot of people were OK with paying the Takara mark-up whenever it meant for a better presentation.

I also think if we still had that option everyone could go back to being OK with Hasbro cheapening out because we had options. But since we don't have that anymore, I wouldn't expect the questions, comments, and concerns about whether or not Hasbro is really just staying within the budget or just cutting corners to stretch a buck to go away any time soon.

Edit: Also before I forget, we do have the Commander class price point now, if Leader class couldn't cut it then Hasbro could have utilized that $80 tag to make the very best Prime w/trailer set possible.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Override Prime

Override Prime Well-Known Member

At least these guys come with extra stuff to make up for their size. Cliff looks to be the same height as SS Jazz, if not bigger. But SS Jazz didn't have shit for accessories.

Not to mention I'd rather pay 20 for a small Cliff with big ass cannon and good articulation than 8 for a small Cliff with mediocre articulation and 15~20 for a third party big ass cannon for him. Or 20 for an oversized well articulated Cliff and still the 15~20 for a third party BFG.

As for Optimus, a Voyager sized figure with a trailer in a Leader box is exactly what I've been wanting since... Forever. Basically every leader Op is like that anyway, just with a supermode thrown in that makes the trailer look weird. But G1 Op doesn't have a super mode.

If this one didn't have a trailer, I'd either have to find a previous Op trailer that fit which probly wouldn't look right, or wait for a third party trailer specifically for him. Which would probly cost 50 on its own, making the whole set about 80.

Accessories aren't free bonuses. Sacrifices have to be made to get good ones. You don't have to like them. It's fine if you don't think these particular trade-offs aren't worth it. It's fine to express those opinions. But saying these figures are trash because of them, or Hasbro is trying to rip us off is just being whiny and hyperbolic.

Remember that it could be the Cyberverse Ark Power Op. Which is 50, old leader height, well painted, with a well painted Ark accessorythat turns into actually pretty badass armor. But doesn't have knees, wrists, neck swivel, or a torso swivel, and doesn't even properly collapse the arms and legs into the truck mode.

• Like Like x 3
  11. Fort Max

Fort Max Too many is never enough. Veteran

News Credits:
    Everyone bothered about the grey hands should just hold off on it for now, it's prime and it looks like it's going to be a popular mould so repaints are guaranteed.
    A premium or anime version would not be at all surprising.

• Like Like x 7
  12. ultramagnus1

ultramagnus1 Well-Known Member

Plus the potp leader prime has grey hands and hes still a great figure

• Like Like x 1
  13. Oniconvoy

Oniconvoy The Other Black Repaint

News Credits:
    I mean, he’s alright, but I certainly wouldn’t call him “great.”

• Like Like x 1
  14. gbm

gbm Well-Known Member

Speaking of, here's my POTP OP. I can't say I'd embark on a "painting the fists" project again. This was a pain to get just right, and even then, the blues aren't a perfect match.

Blue plastic, and blue painted plastic are two very different looks.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 7
  15. Tprime

Tprime Well-Known Cybertronian

Here is my POTP Optimus with painted blue hands. I think I got a decent color match but the gloss level compared to his head and legs don't exactly match. So even though people say "just paint the hands" it's not exactly as satisfactory as when the factory does it right out of the box

20191013_154328.jpg

• Like Like x 6
  16. gbm

gbm Well-Known Member

Wow that looks really good actually. You have that lighter shade of blue, whereas mine has a tiiiiiinge of navy to it. Looks good in hand, but photographs a bit off.

Either way, yeah I agree, "just painting them" can sometimes be a bit more difficult than one might think.

• Like Like x 1
  17. cynw32618

cynw32618 Well-Known Member

This is just me (and I can’t speak for everyone) but in my opinion it’s not that people are complaining about the toys but how they’re actually doing the complaining that irritates a lot of people.

I can’t remember who’s said what on this thread, or in general, but there’s a difference between:

‘It’s frustrating Hasbro has the new Leader Prime, it’s so close to being perfect & it’s just the hands/legs being grey that let it down. Now that’s something that bothers me so I’ll skip this one & see if a future release is better’
    and
    ‘Hasblo suxx! They HAVE to do it, make good toys then decorate them like garbage because they want to screw the fans! How dare they!! They can go F themselves I’m done with them!!’

I mean we’re all adults, the above post is fine constructive criticism while the other, isn’t a great look shall we say. We’re all passionate fans, but come on. Most fellow fans will tire of that behaviour & won’t listen to something you might actually have a point about.

Plus if Hasbro designers ever did watch the boards, likely with limited time, whose posts would they likely take on board & whose would they likely ignore/block?

• Like Like x 13
  18. GizmoTron

Ebay:
    Of course most everyone who has complained is complaining like the first way as opposed to the "F Hasbro" approach you describe, yet some of those fellow fans don't want to hear about it and decide to get irritated anyway, since I guess that's easier than to admit that those negative comments might not be so wrong.

• Like Like x 2
  19. Dinobot Snarl

Dinobot Snarl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Its just a shame since the rest of the package is perfect. Ill probably still buy it but its soooo irritating that on what should be a very definitive Prime they couldn't go with...at the very least a dark color for the hands.

I'm guessing they can't paint it due to tolerances.

• Like Like x 1
  20. SG Roadbuster

SG Roadbuster SG Wrecker

News Credits:
    I'd like to interrupt the 26 pages of people bitching about grey fists to say the following.

Ironworks and the Micromasters looks fucking awesome. More like this please Hasbro.

• Like Like x 14