Transformers Generations SkyByte

Discussion in 'Transformers Feedback & Reviews' started by unicronic, Jun 30, 2014.

1. unicronic

unicronic Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    I got this guy and Roadbuster together. I never had the original version so this redux is a good opportunity to grab the character.

He is unique that's for sure. He oozes personality and is tough to pose in beast mode.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Mega-Shark vs Crocosaurus?
    [​IMG]

His transformation from robot to Shark is fairly intricate and satisfying. It all clips together nicely thanks to minor levels of shell-forming.

Here he is in robot - slightly different from the official transformation but bulks him out a bit.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

As you may have already figured out his legs are hollow too but I'm ok with that given how his transformation works.
    [​IMG]

I still think despite his flaws he really has a lot of character to him.
    [​IMG]

Hope you found this useful and thanks for reading.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Lewa1267

Lewa1267 COME TO THE SABBATH

Can his curling arms be fixed?

3. Dachande

Dachande MULTI-QUOTE- USE IT. Super Mod TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I may pick this up, but I'm not sure yet. I have no connection to the character, so it depends on finding it on sale or whatever. So far, the pics aren't really selling it for me.

Does the shark mode have a hole for a flight stand like the AoE figures do? That would help it a bit.

4. Skyclaw

Skyclaw 6 Types of Madness!

I like this figure, i dont know much about him, but bot mode and shark mode is pretty awesome i feel.

5. Haloid1177

Haloid1177 Hey, That's Pretty Good

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    I need it in me.

6. Starscream Gaga

Starscream Gaga Protoformed This Way

News Credits:
    Does the shark mode have a Tamashii Stage Act port at the bottom similar to the ones that the AoE Generations have on thier robot modes? Having him stuck in "jumping" position with no stand is an odd move.

7. Fallout

Fallout Banned

News Credits:
    looking at the robot picture of him from behind he definitely has one on his robot back... jt's something.

that's a TON of back kibble man... but this is growin on me. might pick it up.

8. Angelwave

Angelwave Physical Maintenance.....

News Credits:
    Still not doing anything for me, sadly.

9. Snake_eyes1975

Snake_eyes1975 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    That is one I can surely live without.

Thanks for the review!

10. Shatterpoint

Shatterpoint Neato

News Credits:
    I think he's grown on me a little more, might pick him up.

I still can't unsee the one-piece swimsuit though.

11. Noideaforaname

Noideaforaname Pico, let's go up to Zuma

News Credits:
    This one doesn't seem to do anything that improves on the original. A lot of that is because the original must've had like 3x the paint budget, but there are still a bunch of little things that the new one has no reason NOT to do. For instance, the original shark mode could be placed on a table without doing a nosedive, it also had actual pointy teeth and not little nubs, its head wasn't a completely different color from everything else, the robot mode's face didn't look like that. Now, the original robot mode was also a kibbly, hard-to-transform mess, and I'm guessing the new one at least tries to fix that, but it still looks rather inelegant.

Something about that robot mode has me thinking Construct-Bots, actually...

12. Optimus Prime

Optimus Prime TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Give this a TMII Cybershark redeco and I'll be all over it; that was one of my favorite BW toys. I don't have any connection with Sky-Byte so I don't really need this, but it looks like a cool toy.

13. Snake_eyes1975

Snake_eyes1975 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    you know...that's a really good point.

The fact that is just sits there in the nose dive position is kinda wank.

When SkyByte was released, I was a very casual TF collector. I only bought a few here and there. I seen the "Cyber shark" mode and it looked really neat in package. When I started to TF it, I was SO annoyed with the fiddly TFmation, I actually got turned off from buying for awhile. Not until classics and movie1 did I get back back collecting hard. I so despised the original skyByte.
    But then I look at this one, and your absolutely right. It just does not seem to do anything "better" except mabye TF easier.

If I were looking to add a SkyByte to my collection, which im not, I would go for the original.

As much a I hate it, the cyber shark mode is GORGEOUS...where this looks kinda boring.

14. Feralstorm

Feralstorm Good Morning, Weather Hackers! TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    For me a lot will depend on the 'feel' of the toy and its transformation. RiD Sky-Byte had a more elaborate paint job, But I never liked the TM2 Cybershark mold in general, regarding it as a pile of flop and stupid. I suppose if I don't like the Generations toy either, my favorite Sky-Byte shall remain the Botcon remold of Energon Skarkticon.

15. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    I was expecting the deco to be boring, but the sculpt is weaksauce. The transformation is utterly ridiculous. Who thought that chest was a good idea?

What an awful thing. I literally can not find a single redeeming factor of it. Even the colours feel slightly washed-out and aren't very vivid or contrasting.

"Flop and stupid." I'm glad you went into detail about what you regard it as instead of just saying you dislike it, almost as if you're quoting yourself or refering to a past statement.

Well, let's see, the toy isn't floppy, and the transformation is really very unique and thought-out. Certainly more unique than the Generations version or "most of my vehicle mode is a solid piece on my back" Energon Sharkticon. The robot mode is well proportioned, the kibble sits well and actually makes sense, and it feels like an action figure rather than a shark that exploded and was pieced together on a really crummy skeleton.

So, nope.

16. Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh Mostly Harmless

News Credits:
    I still like him and don't have the original, so I might as well pick this one up along with RB.

17. Ribieconvoy

Ribieconvoy Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I loved SkyByte, but I'm not really feelin' this version. I love the shark mode, but I'd expect some actual articulation in it in this day and age, and the legs just look a bit weird to me. Not a fan of the way the shins flare out.

18. das_hermit

das_hermit Decepticons forever!

Looking forward to pics of this next to RiD Sky Byte.

I got mine out again the other day, and he's still beautiful, so this is a pass.

19. fa11enwing

fa11enwing Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I never had the original toy nor know the character much, but I want to get him for the mold's sake as he looks fine.

thanks for the review though!

20. Team Jetfire

Team Jetfire Pop-POP!

News Credits:
    I love me some Skybyte and RID is one of my fav's. I'll pick him up for sure, but it's just such a odd choice. The cartoon was pretty well based directly from the TM2 cybershark mold and was a fine representation of the character. A for effort Hasbro!