Transformers Generations Scoop

Discussion in 'Transformers Feedback & Reviews' started by unicronic, Dec 18, 2013.

1. UltraMagnus2008

UltraMagnus2008 Autobot

News Credits:
    Am I the only one seeing an easy swerve retool/reshell from him?

2. Dark Magnus

Dark Magnus Your opinion is wrong!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Pretty solid little deluxe. I plan on shaving down the translucent bits on the sides of his head so he can have more range of motion for looking around.

3. Thundershot

Thundershot Ratchet Fanatic

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I do like Scoop, but I have a few quibbles...

His arms come unpegged in vehicle mode all the time. The tabs don't really hold.

The Targetmasters won't stay together in combined mode. I may use some super glue to make that little tab thicker.

How are the Targetmasters supposed to attach in vehicle mode? There's two holes in vehicle mode but they end up facing backwards or angled...

4. MWG

MWG Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The holes in the legs (that wind up on top behind the cab) seems to be the main way. Pointing forward at a slight angle may be the intent since the shovel could be considered a weapon itself. There are two holes above the rear tires that the gun pegs can fit, but I'm not sure if they are intended as weapon mounts or not, since there isn't much sculpted detail on around them while the holes on the arms and top/front of the legs do have detail.

My only real issue so far is the gun handle piece on Holepunch (the blue one) pops off real easy, happened the first time I tried to attach him in gun mode to the leg mount spots. Not real fond of his gun barrels angling up either.

+-MWG-+

5. Shin Densetsu

Shin Densetsu I WILL DESTROY YOU Content Contributor Veteran

News Credits:
    No complaints qc wise aside from the arms not pegging well to the chest in truck mode. Aside from that the plastic is superb, it looks cheap but in hand it's very durable.

6. Frogimus Prime

Frogimus Prime New Member

Ebay:
    I never had Scoop as a kid, so I didn't have the nostalgia for the character, but I am pretty happy having bought and opened him up this weekend. Like others stated, it's a little wonky combining Caliburst and Holepunch together to form a singular weapon. The bright orange deco is like sherbert on the shelf and stands out.

7. slugslinger2004

slugslinger2004 TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    The 1988 bots hold a lot of nostalgia for me. Mostly because I was 3 at the time and most of the bots released that year are among the oldest toys I remember owning. Scoop falls into this group.

As far as the Generations toy goes, my main gripe is that the shoulders don't work in vehicle mode the way they were intended. Other than that I think it's a great toy, and I'm glad I didn't pass on it.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2014
  8. Morbo

Morbo Knowledge Brings Fear

I like the robot mode, but am disappointed with the front end loader. He really needed the yellow on the scoop like is in the promtional shots. His vehicle mode stays together very poorly, arms don't attach well either place; the chest piece seems little more than a guide without any ability to hold it, and the pegs for the forearms seem too big for the holes. The scoop arm seems awkward, too, hard to position it to look good in vehicle mode, and when you push down at all on it, the arms come loose. Hopefully someone will figure out a fix to make it more secure, I'll probably start by taking a bit of plastic off the forearm pegs.

I'll point out because I almost missed it, but in vehicle mode the legs do peg in just below the pin swivel for the cab windows.

Also, my Caliburst (Yellow one) has two right arms. Anyone else had that QC issue?

9. jestermon

jestermon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    You can't see it in box, but make sure your toy has the shoulders aligned, on mine the 2 parts that rotate were not lined up right so it was making it impossible to tab in the forearms and in alt mode.

I had to grab both of them and line them up, didn't hear anything break so they must be 2 separate pieces on the inside of his body.

I was glad to see the yellow or the orange plastic don't seem to have white stress marks at all.

10. Doc Wheeljack

Doc Wheeljack Well-Known Member

Perhaps this shoulder alignment issue is why so many people are having trouble getting him to ditsy pegged together in alt mode. (?)

11. Shin Densetsu

Shin Densetsu I WILL DESTROY YOU Content Contributor Veteran

News Credits:
    This is what I wonder too as there is a lot of resistance to move them. I'm scared to try

12. Morbo

Morbo Knowledge Brings Fear

I don't think so. Mine's shoulders are very close to perfectly even, and even if it was that, you'd be able to peg at least one side in.

The pegs are just poorly done. The forearm pegs and holes simply don't hold, the peg seems a little too big. It might be because the hole is so close to the elbow pin, they may have erred on the side of shrinking that a bit.

The shoulder/chest plate guide tabs also don't help. They seem to want to hold the shoulder/front wheels a little too far apart, which further pulls on the poor forearm pegs. I'm going to take an Exacto and try tapering all four pegs a bit.

Edit: On the forearm pegs, Exactoing a bit helped mine reasonably. I took a little bit off the back, careful to taper it so I took more off near the base of the peg and none off the end. The peg isn't tight and secure or anything, but at least it sits in and doesn't pop loose immediately. I also shaved maybe a millimeter off the outsides of the two pegs on the chestplate. It allows the wheels to come in a little closer, giving the forearms a little better angle for pegging in, and keeps the wheels from splaying ever-so-slightly. Didn't affect how the plate snapped in for robot mode.

If only I could Exacto my Caliburst's second right arm into a left one.

13. jestermon

jestermon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    No the lock in thing is definitely the design, but the shoulders make it impossible instead of just difficult.

14. Rewind

Rewind Swoosh!

News Credits:
    Jeep mode

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Even has a seat for a rider. :) 

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2
  15. ex dtw2003

ex dtw2003 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    That's way cool.

Also, did you paint your hubcap?

16. Rewind

Rewind Swoosh!

News Credits:
    Yes, poorly. :D 

17. Mr.Deflok

Mr.Deflok Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Scoop... I don't know what it is about the figure but I'm in loooove. Maybe it's the in your face orange, or that you get two awesome as heck targetmasters and a rad robot in one package, or maybe that it feels really strong and heavy, I don't know. What I do know is that I love it.

I'm stoked that the targetmaster's gun handles are on friction pegs as it means you can remove them to be somewhat kibble free for display.

Man, these guys are great!

[​IMG]

Anyone with children will know what this is like.

I should give him silver hubcabs like his G1 toy.

18. Rewind

Rewind Swoosh!

News Credits:
    Here's an idea for a repaint/remold: Beachcomber.

[​IMG]

Not a lot of remolding would need to be done: A new head, and a new chest plate that is either a window or an empty frame, with Beachcomber's traditional chest details being underdeath (scoop has lots of sculpted chest detail under that panel for those that don't have him), which flips up to become a windshield or part of a rollbar.

The alt mode could just be a reconfiguration like the one I posted above, only instead of the shovel it could be rollbar parts and an engine block with pegs for the fists to plug into. If I had the skills I'd make it myself! :lol 

Attached Files:

19. Mr.Deflok

Mr.Deflok Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    It's work alright as a Huffer too. Would just need to change the Scoop into the cab.

If I wasn't getting a Cubex Huff I'd probably do it.

20. Noideaforaname

Noideaforaname Pico, let's go up to Zuma

News Credits:
    Now I'm really tempted to buy Scoop (or the inevitable repaint) just to go with my WfC bots.