Transformers General Discussion Reviews Transformers [BLOG]

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by CaptainSlayer, Jul 8, 2016.

1. soundwaverulls

soundwaverulls Taking a break

'Bout time I got around to reviewing this episode. Cybertron, a decent series, but far, far from the best TF has to offer.

This first episode is the first two episodes of the original Galaxy Force version chopped down into one episode. While I've never seen the original versions, this abridged one honestly isn't a bad introduction to the show. The story throws you right into the middle of thing, with the Autobots abandoning Cybertron itself, only for Starscream to interrupt their evacuation, in order to distract them, causing Landmine to be transported to Earth, via a portal. It's an action packed and intriguing start, which is then followed by some down to Earth human scenes. Once they find Landmine, he explains the rest of the story, about the black hole that was threatening to destroy Cybertron. The English dub's vein attempt to connect the series to Energon with the remark that it was created by Unicron only serves to confuse newcomers about who Unicron is, and set up those who followed the rest of the "Unicron Trilogy" to be confused when the show starts contradicting its predecessors. However, they at least add that their war had caused the black hole, which provides a better explanation for newcomers, while also working with the attempts to connect it with Energon, as it was Megatron/Galvatron's attempts to repair and control Unicron that led to the Chaos Bringer's second destruction, that supposedly created the black hole. Vector Prime's arrival sets up the quest of the series, to find the Omega Lock, and the four Cyber Planet Keys.

Megatron's entrance is appropriately dramatic, and I like that he gets close to Vector Prime by taking advantage of the old Prime's new arrival to Cybertron, by attempting to deceive him into thinking that the Autobots are evil. Despite his momentary consideration of the claim, Vector is smart enough not to fall for it, but even with Scattershot and Optimus' backup, Megatron gets away with the map. One does have to ask how Megs knew about Vector, which apparently was explained in the Japanese version. I'll mention that I like that Optimus deducted Starscream was a distraction through how unusual it is for him to make such an open attack. Megatron, and Optimus' characterization is very good, for what little we get of it. Screamer is too, although I'm not certain the rest of the series backs up Optimus' remark on his tactics.

Unfortunately, the episode moves at too frantic a pace to really give you more than a vague idea of any of the Transfomers' personalities, something that's possibly the result of two episodes being cut down into one. The humans are a bit better developed, although Coby and Lori's arguing is instantly annoying. I guess their second argument, over what flavor drink is best, did seem to be played for laughs, showing that the tension between the two isn't something we're meant to take seriously. Plus, Bud also gives us a more fun human to follow, his character not weighed down by any sexual tension fueled battle of the sexes.

The episode does the most it can with its incredibly limited CGI. They compensate for the slow battles with a lot of powerful blows, and a lot of explosions. I feel it works for the most part, especially combined with the overall atmosphere on Cybertron, and the dramatic music. The music isn't really to my taste, but it functions well enough. My biggest complaint about the action is that the characters never seem to shut up. I do appreciate the dub's attempt to liven things up, but the chatter is quite relentless.

The episode ends rather abruptly, which I believe happens in every episode of Cybertron, so I'll do the same here. I'll give the episode a 3/5.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2016
  2. CaptainSlayer

CaptainSlayer "Soundwave just sent out Randal"

Hey guys, I've been a bit tied up. We're extending the Cybertron episode until next Friday. Thanks!

...now if I could just find somewhere to watch it.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2016
  3. CaptainSlayer

CaptainSlayer "Soundwave just sent out Randal"

This thread is on hiatus until further notice.

Thank you for everyone who has contributed!

Last edited: Oct 24, 2016