Transformers General Discussion Reviews Transformers [BLOG]

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by CaptainSlayer, Jul 8, 2016.

1. grimlock_king25

grimlock_king25 Hail to the king, baby

Twitter:
    Transformers: Animated
    Season 2, Episode 1- The Elite Guard

We open with the Autobots cleaning the mess they made in the last episode. Hooray for continuity. Also in her father's absence Sari is now running the company because yeah a child can do that. But that's not really what this episode is about. It's about Thor, The Tick and Prowl 2: Electric Boogaloo. They are robots that fear humans because they think they have powers and will hurt them. Futurama confirmed canon. Prime explains to them what happened to the Allspark and The Tick accuses him of lying. The Tick is a dick.

Meanwhile Isaac is being forced to reverse engineer a space bridge for Megatron. While working a drone malfunctions due to an Allspark fragment. Meanwhile again police drones are also malfunctioning also because of an Allspark fragment. This leads to an epic fight and Optimus Prime being badass. He then discovers the Allspark fragment and shows it to Thor who now believes Prime's story. But The Tick is still a dick. Thor ain't having that though.
    Later Sari is locked out of her office. Powell appears on a screen and tells her there are no papers to prove she exists. Directed by M. Night Shyamalan.

Rating- 4/5

I didn't plan on being so comedic but it happened. I'll keep it up on following reviews.

2. CaptainSlayer

CaptainSlayer "Soundwave just sent out Randal"

I don't remember if I ever made a correlation between Sentinel and The Tick but if I didn't, man do I wish I did. That was genuinely one of the funniest things I've ever read on this site.

The bit about Shyamalan got me as well and I remember being so confused when this happened even though my prediction from earlier in the series proved to be true.

Let's face it, would any woman really be interested in Isaac? If so, would they leave the kid with him after the separation?

Since I've got to take my pup to the vet today and am looking to have a busy week, I'm going off of memory (bad idea, I know) of this weeks episode and am going to be scoring it a 4/5.

I loved seeing Jazz and he said one of my favorite lines - "Is it always like this on this crazy planet?" to which Bulky promptly responded, "Pretty much".

This episode also featured Sentinel who I had a love/hate relationship with throughout the entire series. Every time he'd be on the road to redeeming himself, he'd spring a leak all over and ruin it.

3. grimlock_king25

grimlock_king25 Hail to the king, baby

Twitter:
    Thanks. My personal favorite joke is calling Jazz "Prowl 2: Electric Boogaloo".
    By the way not only does Sentinel look like The Tick but it's also the same voice actor, Townsend Coleman.

4. Feralstorm

Feralstorm Good Morning, Weather Hackers! TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    TF: Animated - "The Elite Guard"

Feralstorm's rating: 4/5 - new characters being cool and/or goofy, and Sentinel being Sentinel. What's not to like?

Observations:
    * Nice to see the 'bots cleaning up after Season 1 destruction
    * Kinda funny how the drivers casually honk at road-spanning debris, but freak out at the 'bots.
    * I think Bumblebee might be a better secretary than a fighter.
    * How long has it been since last episode? Days? Weeks? Would be funny if we're picking up immediately after, and Powell is there going "Why are you still wanting to find your father? It's been an hour already, give it up!"
    *"Why did it have to be robots?" - Fanzone never disappoints.
    * Sentinel enjoys being a jerk a little bit too much, which is probably why we enjoy watching him get knocked around.
    * It appears Lugnut is too bulky to reach his opposite shoulder.
    * I hope Issac Sumdac was given a water bottle and a litter box in there!
    * BTW, Sentinel sucks at driving.
    * Sari's key works on forcefields the same way your house key might work on plastic wrap.
    * Sentinel sucks at Dinobot diplomacy too. Ultra Magnus ... doesn't.
    * BTW Magnus, maybe you should've led with that lightning attack first at the factory.
    * When Sari was told there's no proof she exists. I almost expected her to fade away, 'Back to the Future'-style.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 31, 2016
  5. CaptainSlayer

1. I never thought of this but it made me laugh pretty hard - mainly because this is exactly the kind of thing you can expect from Powell. Good catch!

2. Kind of like how Goku should always start with the Spirit Bomb or every Pokémon ever should just lead with Hyper Beam or the Power Rangers should just go in Zord blazing... You know, maybe it's like in Destiny, Overwatch or SMITE where they have to do a certain amount of work before their ultimate ability charges. It would suck ass if they missed, huh?

3. Well she does end up disappearing from a lot of later episodes.

[​IMG]

4. Omg. Have I told you that I love you? I'm going to start featuring your art on the front page to advertise the weeks episode (if you contribute to it that week!)

6. soundwaverulls

soundwaverulls Taking a break

Once again we're jumping into the second season, but this time, it's the very first episode, designed to set up a new status quo. The episode did a fair job of getting things rolling, although it won't be finished for another two episodes.

The introduction of the Elite Guard is somewhat interesting. We get a glimpse into the attitude of Cybertron's protectors and ruler. They're completely ignorant of the fact that humans are civilized (At least the ones in first world countries... Most of us... To an extent... Really no worse than the Cybertronians) and they have little interest in finding out. The war with the Decpeticons is likely fresh in Ultra Magnus' mind, resulting in him having little interest in exploration. He just wants to debrief Optimus' team, retrieve the Allspark, and leave. The idea that Decepticons could be on Earth is the only thing that keeps the Guards around for more than one episode. Sadly, ignorance of Earth's cultures and a disinterest in exploration will soon be revealed as the least of their problems during the next two episodes. The Elite Guard doesn't believe Optimus' story because they're authority figures and all those things exist to do in fiction is not believe the main character. It creates a somewhat interesting dilemma for Optimus.

As characters, we don't get to see much of them, although even this is too much of Sentinel (I know he's an antagonist, but does he have to be so irritating). Ultra Magnus is actually not too bad. He's serious, but not stubborn, and recognizes Optimus' heroics, and leadership skills. Sadly, Jazz really doesn't do much, but he does get some moments of being cool, and comical, too. Him freaking out at Sari is fairly amusing.

Speaking of Sari, with Issac now a captive of the 'Cons (unbeknownst to everyone else) Sari is somehow in charge. The board eventually kicks her out, but somehow not due to her being a child, but because there's no legal record of her existence, serving as the episode's cliffhanger.

The episode's climax is mostly based around an action scene at a factory, with Allspark charged police drones going berserk. It's an OK action scene. We get to see the 'Bots smashing them up in all sorts of different ways, and there's even one cool scene with Magnus using a Thor... Uh, I mean totally original lightning attack on a group of them. It's a pity we never get to see him fighting Megatron. That would've been awesome.

I give the episode 4/5, since I'm feeling generous, and it is a pretty good episode, although it really needs to be seen with the following two. Still, it's entertaining, introduces new conflicts with unexpected opponents, has some decent action, and is generally fun, like most Animated episodes.

7. CaptainSlayer

Test

1. I'm looking at possibly moving our order of episodes to be -in order- so we can go through the series instead of hopping around randomly but at this time that is yet to be decided. Some other changes are also being considered but I hear you on this - some cliffhangers being left to sit for possibly months can be a pain in the neck.

2. Have you ever wondered if Cybertron had the equivalent of tribes and stuff? I mean, I guess maybe the Junkions were tribal or primal but they weren't on planet I don't think. I know we got the Dinobots but they were made on Earth so I'm genuinely curious if this has been explored before and I was just never aware.

8. soundwaverulls

Eh, it's OK. I've seen all of these shows several times before. It's not too much of a hassle to jump around episodes, at least not for me. Well, it can be tricky with BM, since that show was fairly plot heavy, but I quickly remember what's happening, and it's interesting re-evaluating each episode of the show individually. I don't know if I've done that before with BM.

The IDW comics are sort of exploring the idea that each of the thirteen Primes had their own tribe. Don't know how much they've explored this idea, since I gave up on the comic that introduced the idea quite a while ago.

9. CaptainSlayer

1. Well, the reason I bring it up is we will likely be introducing a few more shows into the rotation soon. All of which I've never seen before and would likely want to review in order. Several updates - big and small - are planned for the thread if all goes well. :) 

2. That's an awesome idea. I love comics but it's very hard for me to keep up. The idea of primal Transformers excites me. Kind of like the Dinobots but not as... dinosaur-ey.

10. soundwaverulls

I see. Well, if that's the case, then a lineal watch-through makes sense. I'm not so certain that watching each episode as the forum reviews it is a good idea, though. Everyone reviewing series they've already seen in their entirety could easily bring out spoilers. Heck, I'm very aware of the importance of not spoiling you, but I don't think I could review Prime without bringing up it's future. Then again, I guess spoiler tags could help.

11. CaptainSlayer

There is a disclaimer on the front page of the thread that states spoilers are to be expected. Honestly, I'm not worried about spoiling any of the shows potentially added - I like having everyone say their piece and getting a numerical score on each episode to figure out it's average.

Actually, that gives me another idea, I could add a TOP 5 EPISODES under the contributor high scores to list the episodes with the highest average... although it could be troublesome if say a single person reviews it with a 5 in which case Headmaster could be trolled as the top episode forever haha!

The idea is to get as many people from TGD involved in expressing their love and hate for episodes/series without causing this big fuss and backlash. It's all for fun. People who are afraid of spoilers can easily dodge them by not participating or by only partaking in shows they've already seen.

After all, it's all for fun and something I'm doing with you guys in our free time just to pay tribute to the franchise we love. I don't want it to become a super serious thread if that makes sense.

Rants, raves, everything can be posted here without ridicule! Although, we did have an issue with that earlier in the run that uh, led to some, uh, problems. ><

12. Feralstorm

News Credits:
    Hey, fine with me. Thanks for the vote of confidence!

13. CaptainSlayer

Thanks and absolutely, you're amazing!

To everyone, here's a list of a few small changes to the thread that took place yesterday.

• Current Week/Episode was bumped to the top just under the table of contents with Feral's art added.
    • Concluded episodes have had a rating average added below them.
    • Thread name was changed from "Transformers General Discussion Watches Transformers [BLOG]" to "Transformers General Discussion Reviews Transformers [BLOG]"

In addition, I would greatly appreciate any feedback on the thread and am always open to new ideas!

I've just booted up this poll to see what shows users would like to see added to the thread so be sure to vote!

Thanks for everything guys! :) 

*Like the title change* :) 

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 1, 2016
  14. Brum Bot

Brum Bot "Give them Victory... or Give them Death"

News Credits:
    First of all apologies for being MIA - life has just been crazy busy lately. I will try to keep up from here on out!

The Elite Guard

Ah, I love TFA.

Many things laid down here - including Powell, and sentinel prime being tools. Also the other bots burgeoning respect for Optimus (such as bulkhead telling him to stick up for himself against sentinel prime) and also Optimus taking charge at the end, on the battlefield and against Sentinel.

I loved the nod to Wheeljack's line in MTMTE 'mind if I cut in?'.

Megatron seems menacing with basically telling without his skills, Sumdaac wouldn't even be alive.

I love the intro to jazz - genuinely interested in earths culture, and a bad ass of metallikato... Also nice nod to the background with Prowl.

Magnus, as opposed to being the transitional leader of G1 is a bad ass. Seems reluctant to break out the big guns though with the thunder staff.

I love TFA - other than the G1 movie, TFA was my favourite blog on here.

Love the artwork feralstorm - you should think about doing your own thread with it. :thumb 

Forgot to rate it - 4/5!!

15. CaptainSlayer

Hey Brum! Great to see you back!

1. Don't apologize! We've all got lives outside of these forums and I don't want anyone feeling like they're required to be here. It's for fun, not a job!

2. I never caught this. :eek: 

16. Pravus Prime

Pravus Prime Wields Mjolnir!

News Credits:
    The Elite Guard

The Soccer mom always makes me wonder, just what did she expect to happen? She came up to a blocked off road and then proceeds to lay into her horn. Even if the bots weren't there, what did she think was going to happen? Then when she sees Prime and freaks out, I wonder if she would think twice about being so rude in the future.

Sari really shouldn't be running Sumdac, she should appoint someone instead until she comes of age.

Megatron is soo good in this episode. He's got his priorities, assets, and strategy all in place just days (?) after having the Allspark explode inside his spark chamber. He stays off scanners until he and his troops are back at 100%, he had captured someone who can engineer the missing pieces to the space bridge and general construction, and has a plan to utilize his assets across the galaxy to take back his home. Heck, he even realizes that the Allspark in fragment form can be an asset later to him.

Ah, Sentinel, the jerk you love to hate keeps showing us how inept he really is.

At the time, most of us thought we were in for a "Scavenger Hunt" plot line that far too many shows do, with each episode being a race for the fragment. We were all pleased to be wrong. With that said, this episode serves as a phenomenal setup to Season 2. While season 1 was largely in disarray (The Decepticons are fractured and leaderless, Our Autobots are cut off from Cybertron and are forced to adapt to life on Earth), now it's coming into focus. Megatron has achieved his first goal, new body. He obtained the Allspark and then had it removed from the table, but in exchange, obtained the Space Bridge Schematics, which along with Project Omega were the two greatest assets the Autobots had during the Great War. Now with that in his possession, he's preparing to take Cybertron itself. Our Autobots, who up until this point were independent operators have been found and once again part of the framework of Cybertron Command. While we will see them get a "promotion" from very low echelon mechanics to protectors of Earth, that won't happen for a while and even how much of a promotion that actually is can be dubious at best.

As I said last time, it's hard to judge Animated because there are no stand alone episodes. Being a second season episode, this ties into at least 6 episodes in season 1, and is a turning point for most of the rest of the series with the introduction of Ultra Magnus, the Elite Guard, and the Allspark Fragments.

That said, for the rating, I'm going to go ahead and do it, 5/5 for me.

17. CaptainSlayer

Today is the last day to review Transformers Animated's "The Elite Guard"!

Tomorrow we will begins week 9 with The Transformers "The Secret Of Omega Supreme" which is Season 2, Episode 29!

Also, remember to check out this thread and vote for any shows you'd like to see integrated to our blog!​

-----

1. I remember touching on how daft this woman seems to be in my original viewing. She's acting pretty hard to be in Detroit, yeah?

2. Truth. I would have appointed Bulkhead.

3. This is something I found happening quite a bit in Animated for me. I would think the show was going one direction only to find out that it wasn't. This happened multiple times but the biggest one that comes to mind is every time I thought the Dinobots were going to show up and be useful.

4. I agree with you. The randomized order of episodes isn't as big of a deal for some of the shows in this blog as it is Animated (primarily G1 which can be taken in any dose usually considering the 'problem of the week' format). I'm looking into moving to a linear order when/if we integrate more shows into the thread.

18. Brum Bot

Brum Bot "Give them Victory... or Give them Death"

News Credits:
    The secret of omega supreme

Ah I love the opening credits on this - kicks straight in the nostalgia nuts.

Man the animation wasn't good on this episode - sideswipe, why are you helping Megatron??? Oh wait, yeah animation.

Cosmos is a super spy - not only keeping tabs in space but also dresses in a Powerglide outfit to get the extra goss from OP. (Another error. Gotta live the 80s)

Questionable size and background story about crystal city, and some frames repeated more than once!

At the end, OP managed to calm down grumpy omega supreme, and shows himself to be the moral composed and compassionate leader he was always to be in G1.

I'll give this episode 3/5 - purely for nostalgia. Felt like a bit of a comedown after watching animated!

19. Feralstorm

News Credits:
    Aaand, we're back! (I think)

G1 - "The Secret of Omega Supreme"
    Feralstorm's rating: 2.5/5 - It's an episode that mixes strong premises and kinda sloppy storytelling in various places, to feel kinda muddled overall.

[​IMG]

My observations:

* We open with a water rocket blasting off to a floating island in space.
    * -followed by Sideswipe's brief visit to Decepticon HQ
    * Megs just told Astrotrain to use his space shuttle mode to go to a destination in space. Apparently Megs doesn't trust Astro to make that decision on his own.
    * Friendly flashback Constructicons still had their Decepticons symbols back then (and Earth modes, and they're called ConstructiCONS, and...)
    * Introducing Robo-Smasher! We borrowed it from a cancelled hentai animation project!
    * No wonder Crystal City fell - It looks like it could be pushed over by a stiff breeze!
    * Astro's little flip-launch was a neat bit of animation.
    * "Thanks for the report, Cosmos, now get the HELL back up there in space!"
    * Astrotrain must sleep pretty soundly to not notice Cosmos clambering all over him.
    * Omega Supreme is distracted - he blasted off with his tower attached.
    * And then he wakes up (organic?) Mecha-Rodan.
    * Save San Fransisco! Save Adam and Jamie!
    * "Only Omega Supreme can do this." - Teletraan 1 doesn't have a lot of faith in the rest of the team.
    * I like Megs' giant super-binoculars.
    * The monster finally gets his rock-breakfast, and suddenly he's happy to toddle off wherever peacefully. Must be a 'morning coffee' asteroid.
    * Omega ... tears up?

* Perhaps he has some brain damage from the Robo-Smasher (which I guess goes with his speech pattern stuff), but his logic train is kinda off the rails. He knows the Constructicons were corrupted by Megatron when they turned on him, so he goes on a revenge rampage against them - as opposed to - say - Megatron, who kicked off the whole sequence of events?

20. CaptainSlayer

Holy crap. Due to the new format I thought we lost a ton of posts for some reason...

Either way - reviews may now continue! (Thanks for kicking it off Feral!)

Reminder - This week's episode "The Secret of Omega Supreme" has been extended by a week to make up for lost time due to the migration!

EDIT: It took me forever to learn how to make this edit - my avatar is gone and I have no idea what it was. >.>