Transformers General Discussion Reviews Transformers [BLOG]

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by CaptainSlayer, Jul 8, 2016.

1. CaptainSlayer

CaptainSlayer "Soundwave just sent out Randal"

Just a reminder to everyone! Today is the last day to review Transformers Animated's "Nanosec"!

Tomorrow week 5 kicks off with The Transformers "Hoist Goes Hollywood"!

2. Feralstorm

Feralstorm Good Morning, Weather Hackers! TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Yup, jes' me an' mah Samsung.

Holy crap, I was gonna suggest that! :) 

3. CaptainSlayer

Awesome!

And Awesome!

Since I'm working this weekend my entry will be a bit late but should still come today or tomorrow. I forgot to bring the DVD with me this morning to give it a watch!

No need to wait on my entry to make your own everyone else! :) 

4. soundwaverulls

soundwaverulls Taking a break

Well, since the Captain said not to wait up...

Hoist Goes Hollywood is a fairly amusing episode, although it's not always for the right reasons. After Hoist chases speeding cars, as if he's some kind of authority, he finds out he was driving on the unmarked site where a movie is filming. After saving the stunt drivers from driving off a cliff, he's hired as a stunt car.

A scene I forgot was in the episode had Tracks, Warpath, Sunstreaker and Powerglide all barging onto the set, trying to get into the film. I was amused by the appearance of the Autobot showoffs and narcissists, and was impressed that the writer picked the right characters. Sadly, they don't follow through on the potential for them to all compete for the spotlight. Instead, they all share the same grief of being relegated to stunt-vehicles, for parody Harrison Ford and Carry Fisher. Because they all have the same complaint, and act on it in the same way, none of them get the chance to show off their personalities as much as I'd hoped they would.

More amusing is Dirge randomly crashing into a jungle set, for reasons never explained, somehow leading to Megatron blaming Starscream for Dirge's failure. I'm guessing something was cut out for time, but it results in Megatron's anger being humorously unfounded.

When the 'Cons are filmed retrieving Dirge and his cargo, they set out on a mission to destroy all copies of it. As I remembered this premise, I wondered why they wouldn't simply destroy the entire studio, and to my surprise, Starscream suggests doing just that, but Megatron not only ignores his suggestion, he straight up kills Starscream for it. Well, as far as anyone watching knows. They never clarify he survived. Heck, the way Megatron talks later, it really sounded like Starscream was dead.

After seeing the footage of the Decepticons, the director, somehow oblivious to the threat the 'Cons might pose, decides to change the entire genre of the damn film to fit the footage in. I can only imagine how over-budget that must've made the entire thing. Meanwhile, Megatron has the 'Cons try to kill the Autobots through sabotaging the set... For some reason. Makes about as much sense as anything else he does in his episode. Megatron fails so much in this series, I guess it's only natural that he'd just snap one episode.

Eventually, Hoist seemingly drops Spike and Carly into a vat of acid, along with the film negative. Megatron, who in the series premiere had seen through the 'Bots deception with no reason to, now believes the Autobot just killed two humans, and leaves. Of course, it's then revealed to have been a trick. The 'Bots laugh that Megatron made all this fuss over a stolen secret weapon that turned out to not work. Then the episode ends with Hoist seemingly going mad and impersonating the other Autobots. That, or they animated him to still be talking when it was meant to actually be the other 'Bots.

Edit: Forgot the rating again. I'll give it 4/5. You have to judge G1 by its own standards, otherwise there's just no point. It's an 80s cartoon. Of course it's not very good, but as far as 80s cartoons go, this episode was really entertaining for its absurdity, be it intentional or not.

5. Pravus Prime

Pravus Prime Wields Mjolnir!

News Credits:
    Hoist Goes Hollywood

You know, there are some episodes that I can remember the basic plot of just by the title, this is one of them. That is is so descriptive does help. :D 

I like the Season 2 Opening.

Two questions: Does this count as a date between Carly and Spike? Did Hoist win or lose to be their transportation/chaperone? Perhaps Optimus said, "Sorry, you can't impress your girlfriend with the high price tag sports cars today Spike, but if she's okay with this tow truck, she's a keeper. Besides, Hoist could really use some time out of the base."

Why isn't the road/area closed for the stunt? That's poor movie-making.

Nope, no parallels there to Harrison Ford and Carrie Fisher at all. Or Flash Gordon later.

Ugh, why did Megatron (Or Starscream) send Dirge on this mission? Astrotrain is the logical choice or failing that, Thrust. This failure is on command for assigning the wrong bot for the job.

The Director is Alan Oppenheimer using what's pretty close to his normal voice. It's a bit funny that I can pick that out now so easily as an adult. (While he does quite a few TF voices, it's really He-man and the Masters of the Universe cartoon where his range was on display and Man-At-Arms is also his normal voice.)

LOL at Tracks, Warpath, Sunstreaker, and Powerglide just showing up to show off in hopes of getting a part. I'd forgotten about that. Heh, they get what they deserve.

Hey, the AD (or whomever) is Sue Blu (Arcee).

Man, this is just not Starscreams day. Megatron is just out of patience today to boot.

"There's no such thing as flesh eating lava!" Well, that's not quite right, Lava is pretty darn destructive. We'd die above it when our lungs disintegrated, then we'd float on it and burn away in moments until we're just floating thigh bones (and a few other assorted bones), then those would melt away too.

Wheeljack at the end is rather dismissive of whatever it is (Popcorn popper?) but if I recall, there are at least 2 episodes where they had to go back to Cybertron for something.

One rare thing about Transformers is that watching G1 growing up, there were a few instances of a Transformer I had just gotten the toy of being featured in an episode (like getting Tracks and then that weekend seeing Make Tracks), which was undoubtedly deliberate, as we now know every character was supposed to be featured in at least one season 2 episode (sometimes vexing the writers), but I can't help but feel bad for any kid who had just gotten Dirge. "What did your toy do in today's episode?" "He tried to carry something, it was too heavy so he crash landed. Then he shut himself off after radioing for help and had to be rescued." Ouch.

I'm not sure if that movie is going to be the most expensive move ever made or the cheapest. The Director is constantly changing the genre, the characters, the title, and more, which with all the shooting should make it terribly expensive, but he also seems to be making it with a cast of about 11 people which is more in line with a low budget indy title (along with not being able to close the road for the stunt in the opening).

That said, I laughed even all this time later, so 4/5 for me.

6. CaptainSlayer

This is something that bugged me a bit - The fact that Megatron seems to be easily fooled even though the Autobots are as predictable as well... the rain being wet.

I have to agree on your standards. I love G1 for much different reasons than I love Animated. It's fun but it's stupid fun.

I wish I had an original Tracks toy... I just have the AoE "Hot Shot" =\

Also poor Dirge :( 

That being said, Pravus has recommended adding Headmasters, Masterforce, Victory, Cybertron and Rescue Bots into the line up for TFGD Watches Transformers - I am not opposed to this idea and if we see enough support I'll figure out a way to have them added into the rotation.

Thanks guys and girls!

7. soundwaverulls

I definitely support Cybertron and RB, but since this is an English language board, I'd rather this thread sticks to English-speaking episodes.

8. CaptainSlayer

Which shows are not in English? I have no information on any of the ones mentioned.

9. AkibaSilver

AkibaSilver Time Traveller

Headmasters, Masterforce and Victory have Omni subs, but those aren't really english. Apart from that, there's Beast Wars II, Neo, and Go. There's also Kiss Players, but A: That's not a tv show, and B: No.

10. soundwaverulls

Shush. He isn't ready to know of Kiss Players yet. Also, you left out Zone... All one episode of it.

11. CaptainSlayer

Actually, I had the unfortunate privilege of being introduced to Kiss Players during the G1 blog. It was uh, quite the discovery that had me very confused about what Transformers was.

Speaking of the G1 blog, I've just pre-ordered my Blu-Ray copy of the movie from SHOUT! and am stupid excited. :D 

EDIT: I just noticed they have the blu ray for pre-order through Wal-Mart for $19.99 (my total was $30.92 after shipping) but it doesn't say anything about the digital copy or the poster (which I'm assuming is exclusive to SHOUT!) on there. Anyone know if this one includes the digital copy?

12. AkibaSilver

You're right. I meant to mention it with the Omni subs, but it didn't get one, I think. But all one episode of it is still better than KP :p 

13. Feralstorm

Feralstorm Good Morning, Weather Hackers! TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    "Hoist Goes Hollywood"

Feralstorm's rating: 4/5 - It's a stupid, stupid, stupid story and episode, but self-aware enough of it to revel in the idiocy. Mr. Director kinda steals the show.

Observations:
    * Remember, if people are driving dangerously reckless, it's probably just a movie shoot.
    *Hoist has extendo-arms!
    * Spike believes he can fake being a 'vehicle robot'. Then again, he sorta already did once, so maybe he's not totally full of it.
    * Don't tell your friends you're working on a movie, 'cause they'll crash the party (literally)
    * Harold Edsel's job is apparently to crawl away from crashes. He's also a bit of a crybaby.
    * We don't need you right now. Why don't you go get a bagel and coffee from the catering truck?
    * The writer has a fair grasp on film-making, like shooting scenes out of sequence and 'acting' out things that happen in effects.
    * The director is happy to completely change the movie into something totally different when weird shit shows up on the studio lot. If that move had a scriptwriter at all, I'd think he/she'd be pissed.
    * Starscream was REALLY on Megatron's shit-list this episode. He's done plenty to arouse Megs' ire before, but this time everything is Starscream's fault no matter what it is, and a snarky comment nets a disemboweling. I think those two need counseling.
    * As usual, Carly is more on-the-ball than everyone else, including studio people.
    * Tracks likes to complain, but doesn't feel like quitting the situation. He'd make a good message board commenter.
    * "Autobots... are AWESOME... ... Shatn- I mean... actors!"
    * They have everything you need on this studio lot to mind-fuck anyone who steps on the grounds.
    * Is 'flesh-eating lava' supposed to be more dangerous than regular lava?
    * When everyone gathers at the end, Sunstreaker steps all over the people - jerk.

[​IMG]
    (way too much time and effort on this one, but so much fun.)

Last edited: Aug 9, 2016
  14. Pravus Prime

News Credits:
    Great poster Feralstorm!

15. CaptainSlayer

This morning on my way to work at 4 AM a car was coming at me head on in my lane and didn't swerve until we were about five car lengths away and I had slammed on the brakes and laid on the horn - I thought he was drunk or distracted but now I know he was just filming a sick movie scene.

Also, beautiful art work man. Time well spent!

16. CaptainSlayer

Quick update guys! Today is the last day to post your entries for Hoist Goes Hollywood.

Tomorrow starts Beast Wars episode - Dark Voyage!

17. AkibaSilver

"Hoist Goes Hollywood"
    This is part of the Season 2 'Which character haven't we shown off yet' run, and Hoist is a good choice, with his unique accent and his previous showings. The plot is also typical 80's cartoon, but it plays out hilariously.
    Did Spike and Carly ignore some "Road Closed" signs to get into the middle of the chase scene
    This director (80's Michael Bay) is way too happy to put alien robots in his film, and the actors should really get onto the union to see if he can do that. Maybe read the contract better next time
    The Decepticons are, as usual, useless.
    And then, at the end, Hoist decides that movies aren't for the Autobots. Considering how many get killed off in the actual movie, he might be right.

I'd give this 4/5. It's pretty enjoyable, and one of the better "Mid-Season 2" run.

18. Pravus Prime

News Credits:
    Slayer, in the future when you announce which episode is to be reviewed that week, do you think you could say what season it's from? Just for convenience's sake.

Dark Voyage

Some interesting angles and perspectives to start out the episode with.

"I'm better at everything than Rattrap!" Heh.

Why did they transform and stand there as the Energon was hitting critical resonance? Why not just run in Beast Mode (the mode that they have for the singular reason that it prevents them from soaking up lethal amounts of Energon!) away? I know, then we wouldn't have this particular episode.

Scorponoks character model is so glossy.

Oh, I forgot Tigatron is in this episode.

Dinobot is really not in the mood today is he?

Rattrap is tired of Dinobots bad attitude.

Zen Rhinox is zen.

Something just occurred to me, how were the Maximals restored? I assumed that they were on the brink of death when Optimus showed up, so time was of the essence, as Optimus called for a "Code X". However, unless I'm greatly mistaken, there's only 2 CR Chambers on the Axalon. So Tigatron, Airrazor (assuming she could make it in time), and Optimus have to transport 4 critically wounded bots back to the base and into the CR Chamber in a timely manner. We also see Rhinox is the last to come out of one of the two chambers on the bridge, so there must've been some level of staggered restoration to them.

Did Optimus fly Rattrap back to base (If I'm not mistaken Optimus says at some point that Rattrap is the only one he can fly with in robot mode and carry [I want to say the episode with the floating island]) and get him into CR Chamber 1, fly back and pick up Rhinox (likely heaviest) while Tigatron takes Dinobot and Airrazer takes Cheetor and everyone is making a mad run back to the base? Then if Dinobot and Cheetor don't arrive at the same time, whoever gets there first goes into CR Chamber 2. Then pop out Rattrap and put Cheetor or Dinobot in, who ever arrived next. Once they're no longer critical, pull them out, put in Rhinox and Rattrap. Once Rattrap is restored, put in Cheetor, once he's restored, put in Dinobot? It's almost like one of those riddles about crossing the river with the fox, goose, and bag of beans. As I'm thinking about it, that may be the subject for a much better and morally interesting episode.

Not my favorite episode. Dinobot early on is funny and Zen Rhinox leading the group defense is pretty cool, but it's also a bit of a flat episode. 3/5 (really more of a 2.899, but let's call it 3)

19. CaptainSlayer

Absolutely!

20. Brum Bot

Brum Bot "Give them Victory... or Give them Death"

News Credits:
    Apologies for being late - been mega busy lately!

Nanosec - in brief summary, enjoyable, but I always found the human villains as 'filler' at least until SUV.

Hoist goes Hollywood - I thought Megatron was a little harsh on starscream early doors, and his mood with him only worsens.

Some good writing for an 80s cartoon in that all the vain Autobots rock up to get on film.

'Evil Alien Robots' is kind of cute and a nice nod to 80's movies, especially with 'Dash Jordan'.

All in all its a good bit of fun with some good old decepticon shenanigans and Meg/Starscream banter. Solid 4/5!

Ok, which season and episode is Dark Voyage please?