Transformers General Discussion Reviews Transformers [BLOG]

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by CaptainSlayer, Jul 8, 2016.

1. Brum Bot

Brum Bot "Give them Victory... or Give them Death"

News Credits:
    Confession time - never watched an episode of beast machines.... So what season and episode number is 'the weak component' please?

2. Pravus Prime

Pravus Prime Wields Mjolnir!

News Credits:
    Season 1, episode 6.

3. Brum Bot

News Credits:
    Thanks PP, I'll certainly watch it in next few days as I'm off work for my birthday tomorrow and don't go back until Monday :) 

4. CaptainSlayer

CaptainSlayer "Soundwave just sent out Randal"

The four series selected are from those that I have already blogged. Why did I stick with them? Because I have them at the house. :p 

It's absolutely possible to add more shows into the mix later and I'm more than willing to do so if enough people would like to see it go that way. :) 

I guess I'm picking the episodes. By that I mean I picked the first entry by hand and then the past two weeks have been me grabbing a handful of episodes and tossing them into a randomizer and selecting the one that comes out on top to keep things mixed up.

Can we get you an official police badge unique to my threads? :D 

Thank you for watching out and helping!

I'm not sure if anything was edited out that I missed but I don't see any issues with Pravus' post - he doesn't like the show and that's great. It would be boring if we all agreed with each other all the time!

That being said, I disagree with his analysis of the episode and loved it myself. ^^

** CS...everything that was left is okie dokie, so you didn't see what I removed** :D 

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 26, 2016
  5. soundwaverulls

soundwaverulls Taking a break

Sorry I took so long. I was hesitant to write my thoughts, as I know a lot of people have strong feelings towards this episode. Plus, I've been a bit under the whether, which further put me off putting the amount of effort into this that I would need to properly articulate my thought. In the end, I decided to leave a few points out just to rush it.

As a kid, I really loved this episode. Something about the one who's always picked on finally standing up for himself appealed to me... For some reason. Don't know why, it's not like I'm some kind of geek... Anyway, the question is, does it still hold up?

Beast Machines is a show that pushes the heroes past their limits, forcing them to do things they really shouldn't. This episode was Rattrap's turn, and it explained why fairly well. Rattrap begins the episode at his best. His care for others finally allows him to transform, and when he finds he's unarmed, he still charges into battle, to save his friends. Even in this new, drastically different show, he's still far from the coward he was at Beast Wars' start. However, when he messes up what was actually a trap his friends had set for the Vehicons, they're quick to let him know what a fuck-up he is. Unfortunately, the episode on its own doesn't really properly convey why they're such dicks to him.

Rattrap screws up, but he was trying to save their lives. It's only when previous episodes are taken into account that you understand why the other Maximals are such ass holes. All the Maximals have struggled a lot, which would really put them on edge. Heck, Mercenary Pursuits had Rattrap also "almost" gain a robot mode, and he accidentally screwed them over in that episode, as well. It's understandable that they'd be so pissed off, but only if you take into account the events of other episodes.

Megatron II is at his best, here, seeing through Rattrap's empty threats, then successfully tempting him into helping (with a mech suit kid me absolutely loved, and had wished returned). It's interesting to see how fast Cheetor and Blackarachnia turn on him. It's surprising to think that, very soon, Cheetor would be the better leader than Optimus, yet here the Boss Monkey is the one who treats Rattrap with respect, and talks him down. This is a very big, black mark on Cheetor's leadership record (then again, this was his first outing as leader).

The action in this episode was OK, though nothing that special. The opening action scene is pretty cool, but the Maximals end up gaining the upper hand really fast. The episode needed to show that they would've won, if it wasn't for Rattrap, in order to show how badly he messed up. Unfortunately, if the other episodes aren't fresh in your mind, this underplays the threat the Maximals face, which is counterproductive to showing why most of them were so on edge. I guess it really was a no win situation for the episode, so they did the one that was most important. The closing action sequence was rather simple, but I guess the dialog was most important for that scene. It did look pretty cool. The characters silhouetted against a red background added a lot of atmosphere.

Overall, I rate this episode 4/5. It works well enough when taken in context with the rest of the series, which really was how the whole show was written

6. Feralstorm

Feralstorm Good Morning, Weather Hackers! TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Beast Machines: "The Weak Component"

Feralstorm's rating: 3/5 I'll fully admit this is a reasonable episode on its own, but my own sensibilities on how Beast Wars characters 'should be' intrude a bit. Also, mirroring TFWiki, it's an ep where everything could have potentially been finished right there, if not for the honorable behavior of two characters not previously known for being particularly honorable.

My observations:
    * Regardless of opinions of the show itself, it's often very pretty to look at, and does a good job in stylized CG, kinda similar to the heavy shadowed look of the 90's Batman series. Not so sure about those "silk fabric with a fan blowing on it" explosions though.
    * The opening shot - everyone lives in "Blade Runner"!
    * Optimus has the 'foreshadowing dream' thing down.
    * Don't shoot Rattrap when he's messing with the computers. You'll blow out the whole planet!
    * If you're grumpy, just thake your frustrations out on Rattrap!
    * "Even a rat would refrain from destroying a helpless opponent." - You're lucky you're not in the Bay movies, Megs.
    * Rattrap wasn't too conflicted about popping a shot off at Nightscream, was he? Can't say I blame him.
    * "Finish him." - Megs is ready for his Mortal Kombat narrator gig.
    * 'Serious acting' Rattrap rather tones down on the Rattrapisms.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 26, 2016
  7. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    ^That's beautiful! Rattrap's face at the end. :lol 

I wonder if opinions of this would change if Dinobot was specifically mentioned.

Because both these characters had very complex relationships with Dinobot, and as I stated, it's hard hard to imagine Megatron may have learned from Dinobot's honourable ways in his however many years alone on Cybertron. Again, dishonour lost him the war.

Likewise, Rattrap making a deal can easily be construde as an evolution of his character since the beginning of the Beast Wars, where he was a scummy jerk, to a more respectable team-player. It doesn't help that Megatron's "bargain" was put forward more as a challenge than anythign else.

Also, TFWiki got the details wrong. At the end of the episode, they're at a stalemate. Megatron has his generals, but not his drones on hand. By that point he'd recovered. Likewise the Maximals have a weak Optimus with them. They could've gone at it, but neither side was especially suited to do so at the moment. (specifically the Maximals, who are still outgunned on a good day)

Speaking less in-universe, it was also a nice change of pace to have a confrontation not end in a big ol' fight. Not every interaction with the enemy needs to be a violent one. Having both sides calmly call it a day shows a more mature side of conflict that almost never happens in these kinds of cartoons.

8. CaptainSlayer

I completely agree with you about it being a bit of a head spin with how quick Cheetor and Black Arachnia turn on Rat Trap. You would think that they might remember a bit of the bond they shared from the previous series even if they don't remember a whole lot of how they all got to Cybertron and so forth - they still remembered each other.

Cheetor absolutely shows better characteristics of a leader than Optimus Primal in most of Beast Machines but in this one he's on the opposite side of the coin and Primal actually shows why he was opted to lead them in the first place.

Thanks for your thoughts Soundwave, I'm sorry you haven't been feeling well and I hope you get better soon!

"silk fabric with a fan blowing on it" it probably the best way I've ever seen someone describe an explosion for Beast Machines - actually, I think it's the only way I've seen someone describe it.

I never considered how easily things could have been ended if Rattrap or Megatron would have decided to stay off the old honor path. Maybe Rattrap got a hint of Dinobot from the previous life or something but Megatron? I have no idea.

Also, we already have Alien, Predator, Jason Vorhees and Freddy Kreugar in Mortal Kombat as guest characters. Can we make Megatron a little spookier so we can have him too? It seems like Boon is only a fan of horror characters.

9. Brum Bot

News Credits:
    'The Weak Component'

Ok - I watched most of BW season 1, and that's been my only exposure to the beast era. So I came into this with an open mind.

First off, Megatrons look kind of reminded me of Zurg from Toy Story.

Anyway, the maximals appear to be in some kind of disarray, and it's nice to see Rattrap take the lead so to speak, and be taken seriously. It was good to see him take responsibility under pressure.

It's always a pleasant surprise to see a Megatron of any iteration stray from the normal and act with honour and respect. With him giving Rattrap the free pass, it echoed the end of the return of Optimus prime in G1 S3, with Galvatron calling a ceasefire for the day out of respect. It's a nice touch.

With no prior knowledge of Beast Machines, I really enjoyed this on its own merit, particularly the interaction of Megatron and Rattrap. I'm giving this 4/5.

10. CaptainSlayer

This was my first thought as soon as I saw Megatron in Beast Machines and it stuck with me throughout the entire blog. :p 

Also, sorry for not giving a heads up yesterday for this weeks episode. Busy day and I didn't actually pick an episode until right now as I'm getting ready to view it - SO! This weeks episode from Transformers Animated is!!

Nanosec

Yes, I picked this episode by hand. I didn't get a chance to use a randomizer yesterday - so I picked up the case and picked the first episode I liked. :D 

Well, we're starting off with the beautifully animated fireworks including their reflection in the water and we get to see these awful police bots doing absolutely nothing useful.

This is one scenario where Bumblebee's cocky attitude doesn't bother me. I like him toying with this guy.

Of course, it's backfiring as Nanosec starts to get away.

Oh and makes Bulkhead destroy the pier. I forgot about his bit.

Ah, Season One. The season where Isaac is keeping a severed Megatron head in his basement and trying to give him tiny little arms. I guess Beast Wars would be the first time he had tiny arms technically but these look tinier.

I don't think them being wicked fast would counter them being incompatible, Sari.

What exactly is it that Sumdac does at his tower? He seems to be making all this bad shit and horrible robots for good shit...

"It just disappeared! In a Nanosec!" - How incredibly forced, awkward and perfect. Not to mention the dudes name is freakin' nano sexton or however you spell it.

I imagine Prowl's shins are scratched the hell up after that super speed kick - I also imagine those wheels feel like razor blades at that speed.

What a dummy, Bumblebee braked right onto the tracks. He could have totally made it if he just kept going...

I didn't notice the wrinkles that start taking over Nanosec's face before the end of the episode on my first viewing.

The last episode we watch had Rattrap screwing up his team mates by utilizing new features he just got (his transformation) and in this episode we have Bumblebee doing the exact same thing by setting Nanosec free on accident using his new mods.

When you think about it, it's pretty morbid that Bumblebee beats this guy by speeding up his own death.

The music during his space exploration is pretty dope, too bad it only last for like ten seconds or so.

And just like that Bumblebee is Cliffjumper.

The professor so rich he doesn't even notice all the money Nano stole from his bank account?

This episode has a pretty fucked up undertone with Nanosec getting stupid old and if I didn't already know he came back all fixed up somehow it'd bother me a bit. But since it's all fine and dandy and he -is- my favorite human villain from the show - I'm gonna' drop this one a 4/5!

11. grimlock_king25

grimlock_king25 Hail to the king, baby

Twitter:
    Nanosec
    I honestly don't have much to say about this episode. It's pretty average which isn't a bad thing, except when you have to review it.
    Nanosec the character is even kind of average but at least he's not Headmaster.
    I do like that the suit made him rapidly age though. By the way it really looked like he died. It makes me wonder if he originally did but the censors had them add that scene of him being arrested.
    Rating 3/5

See you next month hopefully with a more fleshed out review.

12. CaptainSlayer

I had a similar thought about him being offed. It seemed like he was dead for sure and the line of "until he ran out of time" or whatever it was seemed pretty evident to me.

As for next months episode, I'm open to suggestions on which episodes people would like to review. :) 

13. grimlock_king25

grimlock_king25 Hail to the king, baby

Twitter:
    I actually want to review Headmaster because although I have mostly negative things to say there's also some positives. That should make an interesting review.

14. glinthos

glinthos doomed hometown

Ooooh, grab bag reviews. We've got to find a good subtitled version of Scramble City for you.

15. soundwaverulls

soundwaverulls Taking a break

So, this episode. I've been putting this off a bit simply because I'm not certain what to say. After watching this episode, everything I feel like commenting on is stuff that happened regularly in the series. The animation has a sloppy feel to it. Much like the new Combiner Wars cartoon, the frame rate seems really low. Also, Issac is very easy to manipulate. Seriously, Megatron doesn't do a good job of hiding that he's evil. Then again, I guess anyone would be pissed if they were just a head.

OK, the plot of this episode is your generic "gotta learn self control" story. Bee wants to get faster and faster, but ends up causing trouble, until the 'Bot in yellow eventually learns to think before he acts, and learns to outwit his not really crimson speedster opponent. A pretty standard lesson to find in a kids show. Can't say I really like Bee, but he's no worse than your standard kid appeal character.

Then there's the titular Nanosec. I personally don't mind the human villains. I think they're usually pretty amusing. Not Nanosec, however. There's nothing bad about his character, but there's nothing particularly funny about him, either. I guess he does put up a decent fight against the Autobots, but he still has no hope of looking awesome compared to the Decepticons.

Overall, I'd give this episode a 3/5. It functions well, but there's nothing to raise it above average.

16. Feralstorm

Feralstorm Good Morning, Weather Hackers! TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Nanosec

Feralstorm's score: 4/5 - gotta say, I didn't have a very strong opinion of this ep going in, but rewatching it for this made me appreciate it more. It had some good character dynamics and stuff I didn't pick up on during earlier viewings.

My observations:
    * This episode has some pretty darn good animation and posing now that I look at it. (even if they still half-ass it on lip sync) It's kinda funny to see how flexible and expressive the Autobots are in vehicle mode - and then I see all the police care flopping around like they're made of rubber. :) 
    * Pre-suit Nino Sexton looks like a '50s greaser cartoon vampire.
    * Pretty ironic casting to have a guy known for 'slow burn' characters to voice a speedster.
    * Bumblebee likes to play with his food - I mean criminals.
    * Megatron's head is full of red anger juice.
    * It's quite handy that those prototype thrusters are color-matched to Bumblebee, isn't it?
    * I love how Bumblebee can transform his doors into arms as needed.
    * 'Nino Sexton' overhears someone say 'nanosec'. All he needs is to be looking at a sign for the "Nanotech Section", and he'd have the villian naming trifecta!
    * Super speed turns anyone into a light cycle from TRON, leaving wall-like matching color trails.
    * Bumblebee sucks at spatial relationships, at least when trains are involved.
    * Like the Cap'n, I didn't really notice Nanosec getting more wrinkly as the episode progressed until this viewing. I guess the suit amped up metabolism or something like that, 'cause Einstein told me speed alone should work the other way.
    * Sari and Bumblebee are terribly bad influences on each other.
    * Autobots aren't bad at improvised multi-stage rocketry.
    *"I suspect it was an inside job." all that's missing is for Megatron to throw a big wink at the audience.

[​IMG]
    HOORAY FOR MURDER!

Last edited: Aug 3, 2016
  17. moreprimeland

moreprimeland Optimus told me to do it!

News Credits:
    :lol  Dehydrated Meatbag!!

Optimus: If I had lungs, would this 'bone dust' make them turn black?
    Bee: What's lungs?

Lovin' your artwork for the ep reviews

Last edited: Aug 4, 2016
  18. Pravus Prime

Pravus Prime Wields Mjolnir!

News Credits:
    Transformers Animated - Nanosec

It's fourth of July!

Bulkhead doesn't like people trying to slip away during a conversation.

Funny how much faster Nanosec is then the scientist testing it out when he calls Isaac.

How did Prowl's blades fail to cut the suit when we see it effortlessly slice so many other things over the course of the series?

Bumblebee clearly could've made it.

Nanosec doesn't put in the code Megatron gives him.

Megatrons map to Sumdac is mislabeled, with the lab and tower being in each others locations. Also, I'm not sure how intentional it is, but having Sumdac tower were the Ren Cen is (more or less; if we take the map too literally it's replaced Mount Elliott Cemetary) and the lab where the GM Tech Center is (more or less) is a bit on the nose.

That said, that makes Nanosec heading East on I-94 meaning he's taking a longer route to Sumdac Tower. Perhaps traffic is just as bad in the future? Or perhaps Nanosec is a bit simple and wanted as few freeway changes as possible. (And that should be I-94 West given his location and destination)

Yup, definitely I-94, given that there's a part closed. :D 

While I personally don't care that much for Nanosec (among the human villains), I do love the end of the episode with the "Three-stage" launch into high atmosphere. Then later when Megatron suggested that the theft of the suit was an inside job.

The thought almost always amuses me that if Nanosec had actually followed directions, he probably would've won; I-696 West to I-75 South, then in to the downtown area and either staying on it after it becomes I-375 or taking his exit of choice to Sumdac Tower is a far shorter route that also has fewer intercept points for the Autobots. He could've further messed with them by taking the Lodge instead of 75 and really been nigh impossible to intercept at only a slightly longer trip; especially given that over the course of the series I have a pretty good idea where the Autobot base is (and they're fairly close to 94 but a distance from the Lodge with no easy entrances for them to use).

Anyway, it's been a while since I've seen this episode; I generally don't care that much for the "Bumblebee doesn't listen and has to learn the hard way" episodes. I also find it hard to rate a singular episode of Animated because there are no stand alone episodes. Every episode ties into another, with this one tying into a few (Megatron's overall season 1 arc of wanting a new body, Transwarped, and SUV at the very least). But using the rating scale as established, 4 out of 5. The first act isn't that great, but the rest of the episode is.

19. CaptainSlayer

I agree with you. I've marked it down and will pool it with any other suggestions to draw from, if there aren't any - Headmaster it is!

Y'know, for some reason, I thought you were just really good at finding very specific photos for episodes. I had no idea you were making these yourself. It makes much more sense now and I absolutely love it.

---

Thank you everyone for your reviews! I'll try to reply a bit tomorrow as I have company here from out of state and we went to a blink concert yesterday.

20. GoLion

GoLion Banned

News Credits:
    LoL @ the Hooray for murder thumbs up shot.