Transformers General Discussion Reviews Transformers [BLOG]

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by CaptainSlayer, Jul 8, 2016.

1. CaptainSlayer

CaptainSlayer "Soundwave just sent out Randal"

I had your post listed on the front page as DNR - fixed to reflect your rating!

2. soundwaverulls

soundwaverulls Taking a break

Ah, OK. Thanks.:thumb 

3. Brum Bot

Brum Bot "Give them Victory... or Give them Death"

News Credits:
    Ah this episode reminded of 3 things I love about Beast Wars :

Philosiraptor (brilliant!) Dinobot

Rhinox's chain gun of doom

And the cheeky little fellow that is Rattrap!

Found the combat scene at the base a little 'blocky' (I watched on a fire stick so maybe down to that) however as daft as it was with Megatron getting to the pod so quickly, I love seeing a robotic T-Rex doing a Usain Bolt impression.

Big finale from Tigertron make this a 3.5/5 for me.

4. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    TBF, I honetsly don't have much to say about MTMTE.

As a TV intro it's servicable, but I always found it oddly paced. There's more than a few moments of true, honest-to-God nonsense like the Autobots disguised as scientists, the "junk" Decepticon decoys, the Autobots flying but not always. Things happen because they need to, not because they make sense. Everyone gets a token character explanation but nothing beyond shallow "the gruff one" or "the peaceful one" archtypes.

Fallen Comrades, however, has always been a personal favourite. The entire episode's tone is great to me. It's quiet, very little music, more than a few played-down scenes of "action" with few moments of true action. Lots of silence, calmness, and understated conversations. Optimus and Dinobot having to work together to beat the Preds to the pod was great, and it's one of Primal's first genuine underestimating of Megatron this early. (contrast to later when he never believes Megatron will act as predictable as expected, and predicts when Megatron will be unpredictable, so-to-speak) Tigatron isn't the focus of the episode, per-se, bucking the trend of character introduction episodes being solely about how cool and awesome, and great said new character is. Tigatron shows up as a footnote with a very brief battle at the end, while the episode itself is all about fleshign out the existing characters. Same with Blackarachnia's episode.

5. Pravus Prime

Pravus Prime Wields Mjolnir!

News Credits:
    I had rated MTMTE as well, I realized an hour or two after posting that I didn't rate it and added the EDIT.

6. Brum Bot

Brum Bot "Give them Victory... or Give them Death"

News Credits:
    I realised I commented but forgot to score MTMTE as well so edited my first post, just for consistency!

7. CaptainSlayer

That's the beauty of this thread. You don't have to say much. You just post your thoughts and I link them. ;) 

I'll count this post as an entry for MTMTE and Fallen Comrades!

Sorry I missed it, Pravus! Fixed!

He is insanely fast even with his tiny little arms.

annnnd - Fixed!

8. Pravus Prime

News Credits:
    Fallen Comrades

I don't think I've seen BW since a friend wanted to go through Transformers media. Ah, yes, this is Tigatrons first episode.

It's nice that Dinobot has correctly deduced that Megatron will not see this as a pure race and instead has another strategy. While Optimus's need to "rescue" his crewmate is driving him to behave impatiently.

Heh, Dinobot wanting to give Optimus a proper funeral and asking if Optimus is sure he's Okay and not dead is still amusing.

Megatron has a nice texture model all things considered in T-rex mode. It's been quite a while since I've seen it. Man he's got a tough skin; he takes a direct blast from Dinobots eye beams, he later takes several of the Axalons autogun blasts, including one to the face, and barely seems bothered by them. He's also one heck of a sprinter, given that he attacks the Maximal base, leaves with his troops, then decides that the fliers shouldn't be trusted, sprints there and is only seconds behind the Maximals arriving there.

It's kind of funny that for all the work of Rhinox, Rattrap, and Cheetor, that it's really a Dinobot and Optimus saves the day episode (and they keep trading places in the CR chamber).

Finally, it's interesting that we get a POV shot from Megatron for a few moments. This series uses them sparingly to get some desired effects a few times across the series.

Rating (via the system): 3.5 - OK Plus.

9. SPLIT LIP

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Oh, right, ratings... Ummm, I don't usually like numerical ratings but I guess I'd say MTMTE is a 1/5 and Fallen Comrades is a solid 4/5.

And yeah, if Megatron had just gone after the pod himself, he would've been there in minutes. My only guess is maybe the snowstorm slowed them down and passed before he made a run for it? But it's never even alluded to so...

10. CaptainSlayer

This is why I said I think Dinobot would have been a better leader considering the circumstances of this episode. Optimus didn't think rationally at all and was being a genuine idiot.

In later episodes, Dinobot is always willing to dive into a fight and I support that but he shined as the voice of reason in FC.

11. Feralstorm

Feralstorm Good Morning, Weather Hackers! TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    BW: "Fallen Comrades" - Ferastorm's rating: 4/5 (leaning more toward 3.5/5, but I won't punish the episode for it)

Observations:
    * You know Optimus must be acting too impatient and rash if BOTH Cheetor AND Dinobot are advising caution.
    * "Your emotion chips are overriding your caution circuits" has to be one of the most Geewunny lines I've heard from Beast Wars.
    * By the way Optimus, don't go hanging in mid-air giving orders next time, 'kay?
    * from dead-on, it looked like Waspy was shooting onion rings and Terrorsaur is shooting ... glitter bombs?
    * Wasipnator gets in early practice for his Wile E Coyote stand-in role. Only thing missing when the rock smooshed him is a "THHPPT!" sound effect from the Monty Python giant foot.
    * Wait, Terrorsaur ... ANY Pred helped Waspy out? This IS early days for this series!
    * Dinobot would make a terrible medic. He's ready to declare Op dead at a moment's notice, then picks him up by his sternum.
    * Note to protoforms: don't try reaching outside your pod before you're born.
    * Why is there always a narrow bridge?
    * Optimus is super calm and thoughtful when his core consciousness talks via Star Wars hologram.
    * Autoguns can smell fear.
    * watch out for that second tiger that wasn't there before.
    * How to tell a good guy: They're the ones that give in when innocents are threatened by bad guys.
    * Optimus, then Dinobot, then Megatron - big guys are getting dropped in one or two hits a lot in this episode.
    * Tigatron is good at over-the-horizon shots.
    * "I have a feeling we'll meet again, and soon." - sheesh Optimus, tell the writers to step it up!
    [​IMG]

12. CaptainSlayer

I pointed the bridge out in my original Beast Wars blog and touched on how convenient it was to have a single bridge crossing that gap on the way to the pod while nothing else is seen for miles. :p 

How else would kids know he wasn't a one off!? What are they - SMART!?

Once again, beautiful art for the occasion. xD

13. GALVATOM

GALVATOM Better off Pred

Everyone is doing great reviews of Fallen Comrades but damn Feralstorm my ribs hurt from laughter! Of course the idea that Tigatron actually screws wild animals is never implied in the series, it's more of a pet/friend relationship, but still so funny.

14. Feralstorm

Feralstorm Good Morning, Weather Hackers! TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Nah, I figure Tigatron is a total gentleman, all about sweet-talk and handholding. I don't know about Snowstalker though. She was this lonely tiger in a frozen wasteland, when suddenly this big magic metal egg dropped from the sky and hatched another tiger right in front of her. If you're a religious tiger, that's gotta be a sign from above! ;) 

Last edited: Jul 19, 2016
  15. GALVATOM

GALVATOM Better off Pred

Tigatron did what?

Attached Files:

16. CaptainSlayer

Today is the last day to review "Fallen Comrades" - tomorrow Week 3 begins with "The Weak Component" from Beast Machines: Transformers!

17. CaptainSlayer

The Weak Component - Beast Machines

Week 3 of the blog and I get to hear this bumpin' theme song for the first time in a while. I'm with it. Seeing ol' Rhinox tank in the opening sequence is a bit irritating now that I know what's what though...

The art style of this show is much different from the others. I'd forgotten how unique it looked especially the explosions.

This is some juiced up drug sequence apparently.

Nightscream joined the team this early in the show? When I checked this was what - the sixth episode or something?

Tankor... ugh. I had so much love for that character before his 'origin' was revealed.

Ah wait, I remember this. It's the episode that Rat Trap finally transforms in. Once again, seemed like it was much later in the series.

Cheetor is a douche bag in this episode but he's also pretty badass deflecting all those shots with one hand while being a douche bag to Rat Trap.

TronCon. This is the one where he and Rat Trap make a deal together. Huh, I guess my memory isn't always crap.

Waspcycle. I don't think that's been shown yet at least.

I know I've already said it but after watching Beast Wars just last week the smoothness of this show is beautiful and I love the art stye. I remember everyone saying the bots and stuff were hideous (I agree on Optimus' bot mode) but I'm a big fan of this.

Man, I remember Rat Trap's transformation being much more dramatic than it ust wast.

It was at that moment - Rattimus Prime knew - ...he fucked up.

All the rapid movement and reversing is giving me a case of the spins.

RIP Megatron.

I got it. I know who Cheetor reminds me of in Machines. Fucking Raphel from the Ninja Turtles. He's not the leader but he wants to be but he's always pissed off.

Hmm... Nightscream is being a prick too. Rat Trap - I don't blame you for wanting to side with Troncon.

Ratty - don't feel bad about your alt mode. It's my favorite. :) 

Man the whole team is assholes in this show.

They seem to be forgetting Rat Trap is the veteran officer.

I remember why I love this episode. It made Megatron seem like a more reasonable man than the entire Maximal team. It also showcased his intelligence on calling out Rat Trap's bullshit on calling the team. We also see Rat Trap keep his word to Megatron - Defending him until the morning.

He even keeps Optimus' code while blasting Nightscream out of the sky. Pretty emotional scene even if it's just a silhouette.

Optimus shows up and for once in the series and makes some good sense. He even scolds the other three for being absolute assholes.

Morning sure showed up right on time again.

This. This is the reason Beast Machines was a good show. Megatron keeps his word proving that he isn't a hundred percent crooked. Don't get me wrong, he's twisted, but he has a certain sense of honor.

Alright, this episode is going to be the second to receive a 5/5 for me (I liked it more than Fallen Comrades - 6/5!?). I love everything about it and it was even better on my second viewing. I'm beginning to think I may need to reevaluate where Beast Machines falls on my rankings if it keeps this quality up on round 2.

18. Pravus Prime

News Credits:
    BM - The Weak Component

As a tangent, I do not own BM. I will not own BM. I'm watching this via a streaming site. I've seen the episode that introduces Strika and Obsidian, but excluding that one, I don't think I've seen any other episode since the year they aired.

Also, since this is Transformers General Discussion and you're making me watch an episode of BM to review, why isn't Rescue Bots, Victory, or Cybertron (All series I've enjoyed) on the queue, just because Slayer hasn't seen the series shouldn't mean that Transformers General Discussion doesn't get to watch and review them for the purposes of this thread. And who's picking these episodes anyway?

Okay, enough prevaricating, onto the episode.

I'm remembering this series now, rather pretty to look at, but banal to an extreme in plot. The Maximals are largely uncontested, to the point where Cheetor can deflect bolts with one hand while not looking at the Vehicons to have a flashy fight sequence showing off Nightscream and Cheetor (toys on sale now!).

Ugh. This episode. I remember this episode. Rattrap's character corruption episode. The racist (factionist?) who suddenly goes to the one who he has always hated and been derogatory to for a gun. While the others are complete jerks to them. Meanwhile Megatron (I don't keep my word) is suddenly trustworthy and honorable.

The POV shot is nice, but the red background silhouette shot sequence when the Maximals show up is gorgeous; it also reminds me of Hiroyuki Nakano's work, Samurai Fiction, in addition to the Samurai film genre as a whole.

There is so much wasted story potential here that it's just sad. From fan theories at the time that Megatron was the G1 version (given the characters hatred of organics it fits more with the idea that when BW Megs was forced to give the spark back, he gave the BW version back instead), to Rattrap really turning traitor due to his harsh treatment, Megatron keeping his word having Rattrap as a willing Vehicon General, and more.

But nope. We get something that has zero meaning and zero consequences. Easily forgotten despite all the atrocities done to these characters.

0/5. I don't hate it or loathe it. I pity it.

19. SPLIT LIP

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Except for the fact that the entire planet is against them. Yeah, drones in few numbers are worthless against them, but that's why Megatron has millions at his disposale. The Maximals hardly ever get a moment's rest in season 1, are constantly on the move and being overpowered by sheer numbers. That's hardly "uncontested."

Also known as "fans get scared when they see their heroes put in concomfortable situations and lash out because they can't accept characters being actually tested."

Not suddenly at all. Since episode one Rattrap has been struggling with his totally ineffective new body and inability to transform, something he is totally and completely not used to. In Beast Wars he solved every problem by shooting it, which is something he can't do anymore, and it's changed him. He's been stripped of everything he once was and is forced into a far more dour situation. The fact that after finally transforming, something that has been his literal dream since the beginning, gives him no weapons whatsoever, was the tipping point. It's almost torturous, and he has to endure it. That's the entire point.

It is, like it or not, character development. The only difference is rather than characters developing how you'd like them to, they develope how it makes sense for them to in this entirely hopeless situation.

Because they, too, are all in an uncomfortable, stressful situation. Cheetor is under stress as filling in for leader the first time his entire life, Blackarachnia's always been a jerk to Rattrap (and kinda everybody) and Nightscream is a brat who doesn't know Rattrap and what he was like, and only knows him as "the useless one."

Again, not suddenly at all. The entire reason he lost the Beast Wars was because he ignored Dinobot II's advice about honour and wasted the Nemesis' power on a single human being, ruining the pivotal moment he needed to destory the Ark once and for all.

Except for the fact that Rattrap as a character totally stops his self-loathing and dwelling on his inadequecies from this point onward, and it shows that you don't have to be a gunslinger/drone killer to be a useful team mate.

Even though I don't like numerical ratings, gonna give this one a solid 5/5 to spite people who willfully ignore the fact that there is a story and character development here simply because they personally don't like it.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 24, 2016
  20. moreprimeland

moreprimeland Optimus told me to do it!

News Credits:
    Had some posts reported so let's chill a bit... remember Slayer wanted to encourage 'discussions' but not to the point of being snarky with fellow members comments or opinions. This is from his OP:

Please keep things civil and do not insult the opinions of other members. Users that will be posting here are from all walks of life and everyone enjoys different series in the franchise more than others. Hate of any kind will not be tolerated.

As far as the TFW mods are concerned, Rules 1 and 13 will apply here...

1. No Insults, Trolling, Flaming, Name Calling, Harassing, Etc.
    We will not tolerate insults, excessive profanity or throwing a topic off course. Use of racial, bigoted, sexist, or discriminatory terms or phrases is not accepted. Posts intended solely to antagonize others are not accepted. Keep topics/posts where they belong. Generally, “play nice”.

13. No Disruptive Posting or Flamebaiting
    Do not purposely post anything which will cause another member (or members) to react negatively.
    This is subjective. The TFW2005 staff will evaluate the trend of posts made by those consistently being reported or those that are repeatedly involved with arguments on the site. If their overall method or content of posting leads to staff attention repeatedly, we reserve the right to warn, infract and/or ban accordingly.

If there's questions about the choices of episodes? or why certain series and not others?
    LET SLAYER ANSWER THOSE QUESTIONS, he can handle it. :) 

Will be deleting/editing a couple of sentences here and there within posts, so from this point forward, let's keep the experience positive and enjoyable, otherwise we'll have to start thread bans and/or infractions.

Thanks much,
    mpl