Transformers General Discussion Reviews Transformers [BLOG]

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by CaptainSlayer, Jul 8, 2016.

1. David Hingtgen

David Hingtgen Chromaticon

News Credits:
    Hard to hear, but it's "Ant-droids" to a picnic. So yes, ant/picnic ref.

2. CaptainSlayer

CaptainSlayer "Soundwave just sent out Randal"

You and I agree on a lot of things but one thing you noticed that I didn't is that in the first episode Bumblebee and Wheeljack's mission is never brought up again.

You also pointed out that dead Transformers can be brought back like it's nothing. Too bad they didn't follow through with this in the movie when my heart was breaking... or in Beast Wars. >.>

Over all, I agree with your assessment. The reason I gave it a 4/5 instead of a 3/5 is mainly because of nostalgia I have for going back to the show. I remember not fully getting into G1 until we were into Season 2, which was my favorite season for sure.

Wait... Did we not get to see Optimus and Jazz Cybertronian alts? I didn't notice!

Also, as for the Autobot's not flying after this three parter, I'm pretty sure in my original blog I found out that wasn't true and there was another instance of an Autobot flying. I can't be certain but I have a strong nagging feeling that there was. I'll have to look it up when I get a chance.

Holy crap. Everything I bolded are things I never noticed our thought of. This is why I want to do this thread because so many things that fly over my head are picked up by other viewers.

*removed this portion of your post--Rule 3*

3. No Politics, Religion or Abortion
    This includes signatures, user titles and avatars. Political jokes and links to news stories with a political nature are also off limits.

Not only are humans unafraid of being attacked by giant robots but they actually fight back with junk they find laying around.

And of course the Decepticons attack at dawn! How else would they see during their invasions!?

I'm very inspired to go fight someone on a dam using a pool noodle now.

As for Starscream freezing things over, do you think that inspired Blitzwings weaponry in Animated? I don't think I ever noticed it either but Animated pulled a lot of inspiration from the original show.

And uh... Cliffjumper's... uh... "flexible" I guess would be the word.

You gave me a good laugh with the pictures, thanks for contributing Feral! Angsty Prime is the best prime.

Agreed! It's also the best explanation we have on the issue, is it not!?

This makes me want to face palm. ><

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 16, 2016
  3. soundwaverulls

soundwaverulls Taking a break

Huh. I don't know how I never noticed you posting this reply. I just suddenly remembered this thread and went looking for it.

I think what really made me take notice of Bee and Jackie's mission never getting brought is how surprisingly good that opening sequence is. That, and I've seen the episode countless times, just never with my brain turned on.

Too bad they had already forgotten about Optimus by time the Junkions brought Magnus back to life, amiright?

I think I've seen the episode too many times to feel any nostalgia for it, despite having watched it while I was a kid (since you've boasted of having the memory of the mighty goldfish, I'll remind you I'm not a kid of the 80s, I just owned the DVDs). Honestly, I recall season 1 being my favorite, mostly for being more down to Earth (by the shows standards) but it was quite samey. I imagine it also took awhile for an adult to get used to... Well, everything about this series.

The Dinobots seem to be an exception, plus the first time that was shown, Wheeljack was flying with them. Don't know if that's the only time, but it's the one I can recall off the top of my head.

[ShiaLabeouf]Just. DO IT.[/ShiaLabeouf]

4. CaptainSlayer

Alright, that first bit genuinely made me laugh. I feel I should explain part of what contributes to my poor memory - since I was a kid I've had a problem with abusing inhalants. I started by huffing gas when I was around 12 while I was locked out of the house one day and it evolved into huffing duster when I was sixteen or so.

It's a problem I struggled with for a long time and have actually relapsed multiple times. I was still doing it quite a bit when I initially started my G1 blog, I had recently moved back in with my mother for a three month period and was doing it and drinking nearly every day.

I even gave myself pneumonia from doing it once and it sucked pretty hard. It's done it's share of damage so I have a hard time remembering and learning new things which is why G1 was so rough for me to remember all the characters - Trailbreaker being a prime example.

I've recently taken steps towards making myself healthier and while my brain likely won't repair what's been done, I'm making sure it doesn't get any worse.

I should have signed up with the user name Huffer. :lol 

Sorry if that's TMI but after two years of being on the site and recently having a long talk with my wife and coming clean about it (I hid it from her for nearly 8 years!) I'm comfortable talking about it.

As for Wheeljack flying with the Dinobots that may have been the bit I'm vaguely recalling but I don't remember. :rolleyes2 

5. Brum Bot

Brum Bot "Give them Victory... or Give them Death"

News Credits:
    Fair play Captain - thanks for the honesty and I think it's safe to say you're among friends here.

I actually watched the first episode of Gobots last weekend. Good, nice on the nostalgia front but Transformers is undeniably more dramatic and deeper.

Though I think Crasher would have made a wicked decepticon.

6. CaptainSlayer

Thanks, Brum. I like to imagine so. ;) 

I still haven't watched anything about the Gobots except a commercial someone linked me once - I don't know if it was for the show or for the toys to be honest.

7. soundwaverulls

Glad to hear it. I mean you laughing at what I said, not you having a serious problem, although I'm glad to hear you're getting over it.

8. CaptainSlayer

Today is the last day to submit entries for More Than Meets The Eye!

Tomorrow starts week two's episode Fallen Comrades from Beast Wars Season One!

9. Pravus Prime

Pravus Prime Wields Mjolnir!

News Credits:
    Let's not go there, or discuss that. Besides that they're not, there's Rule 3 and I don't think you want the posts deleted and the thread locked.

I actually have "Fracture" in with my Decepticon display because I agree totally. Crasher is one of the Go-Bots that I strongly feel should've made a stronger migration to the main universe; like Lockdown, Lugnut, Bulkhead, and others who went from one series original characters to more fixtured characters in multiple mediums, Crasher/Fracture should've made a real jump and had a media presence.

Full disclosure, I have had an absolutely brutal week, to the point where I actually watched MTMTE during lunch breaks over three days because that's virtually the only chance I had to do so. I'm late, so sue me.

I was a child in the 80's and saw this as it originally aired. I have MTMTE on DVD thanks to... uh... something? I actually don't know exactly where I got this from. It's a stand alone DVD with a red cover, with "Transformers More Than Meets The Eye" three images of Soundwave, Optimus, and Megatron, then "Season One Pilot Miniseries". It does not have a stand alone bar code, so it must've come with something, I'm thinking some edition of the Movie I have or possibly a figure set.

Anyway, I won't blog about this as a first viewing, because it is far from that, instead it's more things that I've noticed this time around.

I like that for all the narration, the exposition that G1 makes plain, that they still use the situation to set the mood, with Bee and Wheeljack finding an energy source (scraps really) and then racing back through their damaged planet to get back to their lone standing city, running into a Decepticon patrol to showcase their alt modes and setting the tone for their strife.

This is also the last time Soundwave's alt mode should ever fool anyone, as a lamp post/cell phone tower/Red Box.

I do wonder what Megatrons plan was, since he had built his own ship on his own and was preparing to depart; was he always going to follow Optimus, or did he have his own target location(s) in mind for exploitation to restore Cybertron? After all, they only pursued because the Autobots launched, but they were clearly ready to go on their own.

I also think I've only seen this once when I was introducing a friend to the series since playing FOC, it is neat how much of a melding you can do if you wanted between this and the game.

Anyway, I had a funny realization, outside of Shockwave in the opening and Thundercracker, every other Decepticon conversation is Frank Welker and Chris Latta talking to each other. Or themselves.

Speaking of Starscream, he commits so many acts in this pilot alone to warrant termination. So much so there's even a Cracked article written 7 years ago about it. and I can't help but think of that now. Also I don't think the writers paid enough attention to the Null Ray and what it does, or doesn't understand how energy transfers; his device would be the last thing you'd want to use to harvest energy from a generator.

The Autobots flying. Ugh. Wheeljack and Sideswipe/Sunstreaker (their bios were mixed up, so it should've been Sunstreaker, but Sideswipe) get passes since they could fly in a limited fashion, but the rest? Or one of the long running issues with the series, no one seemed to understand how Trailbreakers force field works.

In a darker show, the capture of Ravage would've been very bad; he is carrying two proton bombs on his hips. A saboteur in wartime facing capture with two 1 Megaton bombs on his person? He'd probably give a shout of "Decepticons Forever!" and then detonate them, crippling the Autobots both with damage to their base/The Ark and killing more then a few of them.

I am also reminded of the lengths the show went to in order to even the odds. All the extra Seekers, the extra cassette warriors, and Reflectors. I still wouldn't mind a three pack or so of Deluxe Air Warriors of some sort.

Over 30 years later and I still wonder what the heck Spike was thinking when he goes into the water to "rescue" Hound; Hound doesn't need to breath, Spike does.

Also I really do have to wonder what the process is of getting energy from Rubies are. Does it have to be rubies specifically? I also can't unsee Soundwave sporting the Autobot symbol. I made the joke at one point to friends that Megatron has the deck stacked against him; Starscream is disloyal to the extreme and Soundwave is a secret Autobot.

Perhaps one of the neatest interplays happens here in the pilot with the planning and counterplans by both factions in the Rocket Base; the Autobots deliberately leak info to Ravage and let him escape, manufacture a fake rocket base to lure the Decepticons, who attack in force only to reveal that Megatron saw through it and was the only real Decepticon present; the rest of his troops (9 seekers strong!) have attacked a real base and gotten the last of the fuel that they need. Then later, when the Autobots engage the Decepticons at their ship, Megatron sees through the battle and orders the withdrawal to the ship to leave the Autobots behind. I don't think this level of strategy is ever seen again until Beast Wars.

I also love that Optimus makes a last ditch heroic one man attempt to change the outcome for "good" to win only to fail and that a mostly background character does it all, allowing the good guys to "triumph" at the end. Though you have to wonder about his timing; if he had waited, he could've seen the end of either Starscream or Megatron. (Well, we know it would've been Megatron winning, but still)

EDIT: I forgot about your rating scale. Solid 4 - Liked it!

10. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Wait, what is this thread? How long has this been going? Wait I already missed week one? Fuck!

Guess I'll just start with Fallen Comrades. :/

11. CaptainSlayer

"Fallen Comrades" - Beast Wars: Transformers

So, I'm having to view this episode in a tiny box at the top right of my laptop screen while I write on the left. Not ideal but it's the only option at the moment.

Fallen Comrades is an episode I actually do remember - well, not all of it but I do know we meet a certain tiger this episode.

Speaking of there's a white tiger now. :D 

Terrasaur. I actually liked him a lot, still a bit upset that he got wasted so soon in the show.

Dinobot <3

I forgot how arrogant and ignorant Optimus Primal can be. Too bad he got much worse in Beast Machines.

Dinobot's "skin" is super shiney and reflective. He must use Turtle Wax.

Maybe Dinobot would have been a better leader of the Maximals.

Waspinator <3 :)  I've missed you.

lol and he's crushed already.

At least Terrasaur cared enough to help him out from under there.

Dinobot's putting his Cyclops vision to good use.

Dinobot is trying to talk Optimus Primal into dying so he could do so with honor. That's funny.

I never paid attention to how big Dinobot was compared to the other Maximals. He lifted Optimus with a single hand - not only is Primal a gorilla, he's a robot gorilla. I can't imagine how much he weighs.

Scorpanok <3 Another character I loved that got wasted in no time.

Come to think of it, I think that Beast Wars is the worst of the four series for offing characters I care about.

Rattimus <3 Rhinox <3

I'm still insanely salty about Rhinox's story line in Beast Machines. I don't think I can forgive that one. Such a stupid arc that I'm grouping it with the Quintessons.

TERRORRRIIIIIIZZZZEEEE!

I'm still amazed that the bridge manages to collapse exactly enough to leave perfect cuts on each side of the mountain, like nothing remains at all from the bridge.

Philosoraptor Dinobot makes an appearance.

I'm surprised they gave Dinobot full clearance to the computer. I don't remember what happened between the first episode till now that made him that trustworthy.

Optimus sounds super high when he's just brain wave juice.

He's actually much more calm in this form too. Makes better calls.

Megarex :D 

lol - he's giving tactical signals with his tiny little t-rex hands.

Yeeeeeessssssssss!

I thought I remembered this part. I thought it was when Dinobot considered the offer and said something along the lines of "Second in command? That makes this much harder for me to do..." and then blasts him. I guess that was another episode with a similar scenario.

LOL TWITCH! xD

This is fantastic.

Those dudes bounced the beam off of the moon. Is that actual technology we can do on Earth orrrrr?

How have Terrasaur and Waspinator not made it to the pod yet? They're flying...

Now these two idiots are fighting over getting their first to get a cookie from Megarex.

Too bad he doesn't realize one of those tigers is already a maximal.

Prepubescent Cheetor looks great.

Yeeeeeessssssss.

You can already see that there's nothing in there through the glass though dude...

Tigatron <3

Another unfortunate loss though his didn't upset me as much as a lot of the others.

Tigatron's been here for three minutes and he's already the best shot on the team.

How did Optimus already know his name? He was flying a good way away when Tigatron said it.

The one other of his kind that is.

Pretty ending :D 

So, as I said at the start of this entry Fallen Comrades is an episode I actually remembered quite well due to Tigatron's arrival. If I'm not mistaken, it's the first pod to drop in the series and he was the first new character.

I think that there's a lot of fun in this episode with plenty going on to keep you hooked through out and I remember being confused that there wasn't anyone in the pod near the end during my initial viewing. For some reason, it didn't click with me that there was only one tiger at the start of the show.

I'm actually going to give this episode a 5/5 because it was exciting to have someone new show up and I really don't have any complaints other than how annoying Optimus Primal was near the beginning!

-----

EDIT:

*Slayer your quote has been removed, Pravus was right, not even political jokes are allowed, check Rule 3*

Since the thread is so new I'm willing to count MTMTE entries until Monday :) 

12. grimlock_king25

grimlock_king25 Hail to the king, baby

Twitter:
    His point wasn't that your joke was offensive it was that political jokes are not allowed.

13. soundwaverulls

Fallen Comrades is noteworthy for two reasons. The most obvious one is the introduction of Tigertron (one of my favorite Maximals) but what I think about most is the episode's portrayal of the faction leaders. This is the episode that really puts focus on Primal's inexperience as commander, and is one of the earliest signs that this Megatron can be exceptionally cunning. Primal's insistence that he heads out before they've checked the surrounding area, while understandable, was headstrong, but he is an explorer, not a general. Meanwhile, Megatron sending his fliers after Optimus shows off that he's a more capable strategist. The Maximals, however, win due to their tech knowledge overcoming the fact that Megatron had completely outmaneuvered them.

The one flaw in Megatron's scheming is that he goes after the Maximal base without any sort of plan. That seemed like a big waste of time that only served to stop children from needing to wait for the climax to see some action. As a result, while both action scenes are fun, with the climax being particularly awesome, both feel far too short. Plus, it creates the second of two timing issues of the episode, that Megatron can reach the Pod right after the Maximals, despite leaving for it so much later. The first timing error being that Wasp and Terrorsaur somehow manage to leave their base and get all the way to the Maximal base, before Optimus can leave his base and, well, not be there for them to ambush. Oh, and while I'm talking about parts of Megatron's plan that, realistically, shouldn't have worked, holding Tigers hostage. Do the Maximals really consider the lives of two animals more important than the freedom of one of their own?

In the end, the introduction to Tigertron ends up feeling like a surprisingly small part of the episode, which goes on to be common for Beast Wars. New characters would, for whatever reason, get underused in their debut, and remain that way for a couple of episodes.

I will say, six episodes into the series, and the animation is already fairly fluid and full of little details, like Optimus rolling his eyes at Dinobot. The Animators seriously did a great job with this series. The only thing that kinda bothers me is the big, generic balls of energy that get fired from everybody's weapons, but it's a tiny nitpick.

Honestly, none of the flaws I typed about really detract that much from the episode, at least for me. It's a well done episode with some cool if slightly flawed strategy, some good character interactions, and short but funny and awesome fight scenes.

Edit: I'm giving it 4/5. As I said, it's not particularly great, but it's still good, and very enjoyable.

14. GALVATOM

GALVATOM Better off Pred

Feralstorm: That is both funny and incredible, I hope to see more posts like that in here.

Captain: Philosoraptor... You never cease to amaze me, that's so Dinobot!

soundwaverulls: Great review, your description of the differences between Primal and Megatrons leadership skills is on the mark. Primal being the only Maximal capable of flight was a great source of drama early on in the series, he'd often be forced to go it alone. Another great example is in the episode where the Maximal base receives a distress call from Tigatron that ends with the sound of explosions and him screaming. Everyone just stands around in horror and its actually Rhinox who shouts "Go" at Optimus causing him to immediately fly off to the emergency.

15. Feralstorm

Feralstorm Good Morning, Weather Hackers! TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    "Philosoraptor" is the word of the day. :) 

16. GALVATOM

GALVATOM Better off Pred

Indeed hahaha.

Fallen Comrades:
    Beast Wars Season 1 Episode 7

Memorable quotes from this episode...

Rattrap: You win, ya depraved wad of stinkin' slag.

Megatron: Cultivated as always. Even in defeat.

Megatron threatening wild Tigers, forcing the Maximals to surrender.

-

Tigatron: Let the trails lead where they may. I will follow.

4/5 is my rating.

17. CaptainSlayer

Right. I knew that actual arguments over politics/religion/etc wasn't allowed but I wasn't aware that jokes were off limits too. That makes me groan a bit but I understand and am sorry for breaking the rule and busting balls.

18. soundwaverulls

ARGH! I yet again forgot to put in a rating when I first made my post. I've edited one in now.

19. CaptainSlayer

;) 

Fixed <3

20. soundwaverulls

Wait, what?