Transformers G1 Blu-Ray Collection Plans?

Discussion in 'Transformers Cyberverse and Cartoon Discussion' started by kshaps, Oct 14, 2015.

1. KWFlange

KWFlange You're So Jelly

I too doubt there would be much difference in quality, if any. And for the reasons you mentioned, I prefer my regular '86 movie release to the digitally remastered one. This probably stems from my own selfish need for nostalgia, but hey, they're my DVDs lol.

However, the storage capacity of Blu-Ray would allow for the titanic season 2 to take up less room on the shelf.
    I am too lazy to look up how many disks it would take up, but wouldn't it be nice to have a complete collection of episodes in just a few disks?

In the end, price would be my deciding factor.

2. Takeshi357

Takeshi357 "Research"

News Credits:
    The idea of distributing standard definition TV shows on blu-ray as a space-saving measure has been thrown around for years but only a handful of shows have actually received such a release...in fact, I can't even think one off the bat.

The reason it's not all that common is that space-saving really isn't an important factor when it comes to increasing sales (not to mention you can already do so by simply utilizing different packaging), and then you consider the fact how blu-ray isn't quite as popular a format as you think (it's still miles off from that of DVD), it's a much safer bet to simply distribute them on DVD and thus get people who don't have a blu-ray player to make a purchase as well.

3. Murasame

Murasame

News Credits:
    Or just buy blu-ray cases and print new covers :D 

4. olevelo

olevelo Well-Known Member

The shout release has the whole series in a box that's like 2 inches wide. Not sure how much smaller you want it to get!

5. kshaps

kshaps Busting Deceptichops

Ebay:
    Bumping this because of the 35th anniversary...Anyone have any insight if this will ever get released on blu? The complete series on DVD is only $50 on Amazon, but I have held off this long and with Batman TAS getting blu-ray later this year I still have hope.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Incepticon

Incepticon |-+-|

News Credits:
    I'm sure the answer is still the same: What would even be the point?

Restored more or not, these 35 year old outdated aspect ratio cartoons can only look so good, and converting them to blu-ray would really serve no purpose whatsoever. Well, other than being able to cram a lot more content/episodes on fewer discs. That's it.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Blackout32

Blackout32 ANTHRAX - PERSISTENCE OF TIME

Cybertron The Matrix of leadership knowledge,power
    Twitter:
    YouTube:
    I don't see it happening since there is 2 different complete sets right now on Amazon you can buy. The matrix set came out sometime ago and i have it but a set with blu-ray and shape of matrix i doubt it.

8. godaiking

godaiking Well-Known Member

Speak for yourself. I would definitely buy a set if they did release them on blu ray and I'm sure many G1 fans would buy them as well.

• Like Like x 4
  9. signals3

signals3 Frightfully Important

News Credits:
    Uh, it's been out for a while now. You can buy it online at Best buy, Wal-Mart, Amazon.......

10. Incepticon

Incepticon |-+-|

News Credits:
    I never said anyone wouldn't buy it. I said that I'm sure everyone important enough to make it happen realized it wouldn't be worth the effort since it would make exactly zero difference to the viewing experience.

11. shamanking282

shamanking282 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Animation quality-wise, G1 is miles away from the quality of BTAS. Not to mention, an important note about BTAS is that every episode was actually shot with 35mm film. Most TV animation is shot with 16mm, and while I've never seen a source say either way for G1, I would have to assume it was only shot with 16. This means that the amount of detail one could get from a HD master is minimal at best, whereas Batman is actually higher fidelity by nature. Let's be honest, this show was made on the cheap.

However, something to say here: aspect ratio does not inherently make something HD. There have been many old films and shows that are 4:3 that have been remastered in HD that look excellent. You just have to deal with bars on the sides. But that's better than cropping, which is what the godawful DBZ Season sets did.

12. spiritprime

spiritprime Dudes, I'm a girl!

News Credits:
    Excuse me, you quoted on me that happened to be in 2015. What.

Talk about necro posting.

• Like Like x 1
  13. godaiking

godaiking Well-Known Member

Not true. As a fan of 80s anime, I’ve seen the difference between dvd quality and blu ray quality of remastered series such as zeta gundam, maison ikkoku, Akira, vampire hunter d, etc.

With the enduring popularity of G1 in the US, there’s still a big market of fans who would buy it.

• Like Like x 3
  14. UndertakerPrime

UndertakerPrime Ride ze Shoopuf?

Here's the big difference between a BTAS Blu-Ray release and a potential G1 Blu-Ray release:
    With BTAS, they were able to go back to the original film and clean it up/remaster it for better picture quality, making a Blu-Ray upgrade well worth it.

Back in the early 2000's when Rhino put out the G1 toon on DVD, the only copies of original high-quality master tapes they could find were unfinished/incomplete, leading to a multitude of additional errors that were later corrected for broadcast. Rhino tried to fix these errors, and frankly did a shitty job of it. When Shout Factory put out their DVD sets, they corrected the errors by splicing in footage from lower-quality sources. Shout Factory's producer TRIED to find completed broadcast masters but they apparently don't exist anymore.

So the bottom line is: if you want true Blu-Ray quality picture, the only option is to remaster the unfinished masters that Rhino used which, as far as we know, are the only ones that exist. You could remaster what Shout Factory spliced together, but there would still be instances of low-quality footage for the corrected scenes. Either way, to me it wouldn't be worth the upgrade.

I know there's people out there who don't mind the extra errors in the Rhino releases, and those people would probably welcome a Blu-Ray set using those unfinished master tapes. Whatever floats their boat; if they wanna watch space battles with missing laser effects, they can go for it.

15. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

Close. The "lower quality sources" used by Shout Factory were the broadcast master tapes. What Rhino used were the available film sources. What's gone missing are the film sources for the corrected scenes.

Anyway, there are a few different ways an HD version could be done, but the issue is cost. That's not to say it would cost a fortune by TV or film restoration standards, but it would cost a lot more than a normal release. Hasbro and whomever did the remaster would have to be certain the demand was adequate (so, crowdfunding, maybe?)

For instance, after remastering from film, all of the animation corrections could be recreated digitally. The tools to do that sort of thing have advanced a lot since Rhino sorta tried it. But this is far beyond the sort of cleanup Shout is used to doing. Alternatively, there is "deep learning" AI that can do an amazing job of reconstructing animation frames at higher resolutions, and this could be used to match the corrected scenes from the master tapes to HD scans from the film sources. It's entirely different from and far better than the algorithmic scaling used in most "upscaled" releases. The software to do it is even free, and has been used unofficially in fan-made anime upscales. The downside is that it takes a LOT of CPU/GPU time.

The cheapest option would be to just take what Shout Factory has already done and do a reverse-telecine restoration to 24 progressive frames per second. It would not be in proper high definition, but it would look noticeably better than the DVDs do on modern screens.

• Like Like x 1
  16. UndertakerPrime

UndertakerPrime Ride ze Shoopuf?

Ah, for some reason I always get the whole film/master tapes thing mixed up. Though I thought I read that the footage Shout Factory used for corrections was culled from multiple sources because they couldn't find everything they needed on master tapes...but whatever.

It is good to hear there's ways of making the show's picture quality worthy of a BR release. Using today's technology it should be possible to correct a number of the more famous animation errors as well (blue Optimus Prime from SOS Dinobots, for one), though the cost would probably be prohibitive. They should just ask for volunteers from the fandom to help with that; I bet fans would help out for free :D 
    I know I would, if I had any experience with digital correction...I could help with audio editing if they needed it :p 

17. PDog

PDog Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Me too. Season 2 I think.