Transformers franchise: A laughing stock trilogy?

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by LegionofMordor, Sep 26, 2014.

1. griffn29

griffn29 Well-Known Member

As far as I'm concerned, a movie only makes as much money as its sequel's gross. If people liked the first film, they would buy a ticket to the next one because they wanted to see it again, and if they didn't, then they wouldn't.

Marketing also plays a big part in bringing in ticket buyers. Regardless of Tf4's quality, it would be hard to not admit that at least a few people were dissapointed by the film compared to what that trailers implied it would be like.

2. TheYearIs2005

TheYearIs2005 Well-Known Member

The marketing for these films are superb.

3. griffn29

I really enjoy Transformers 1, even though I know it might be not a very good movie, just based on other films. The only difference is, I don't care if other people criticize the movie because I know that their criticisms are valid, but no amount of criticism would impact the way that I personally felt about the film.

I don't want to come off as being overly aggressive, but why do you feel the need to defend this film if you admit that it has flaws? All that really should matter is that you enjoyed it, you don't need to defend these films. They can do that themselves, or better yet let their accomplishments speak for themselves.

I probably would have liked AOE too if I accepted every thing that film presented at face level, but the film rarely challenged me, or satisfied me, or defied my expectations; it most often tried to just pander to my emotions directly by using tactless imagery, but having a more personal understanding of some of the elements that this film hinged on really tore me out of the story. and even at other times I wished the story was more predictable, because it often defied my expectations in the most unfulfilling of ways, and seeing a film that cold have been far more interesting waste seemingly every potential it comes across will always be infinitely more dissapointing than a film that was just flat out bad.

And don't anybody say that it will all be fulfilled in the sequel. That's irresponsible thinking.

4. MnemonicSyntax

MnemonicSyntax You know what happens to Messiahs, don't you?

News Credits:
    Now you're getting it. We're the minority.

I also used this forum as an example that people do like them, because I don't know "your people" and you don't know "my people" so by showing that there are people here that like it, it's evident that it's enjoyed.

Even by my standards.

5. griffn29

They are some very nice trailers. :) 

6. MnemonicSyntax

News Credits:
    Because people say things that are over exaggerated or just flat out untrue.

Also, because every single film has it's flaws.

7. Decepticons

Decepticons B∆K. Bug-a-Boo Ghost.

News Credits:
    But the thing is, G1 isn't the only source material. The various other incarnations are "source material" as well, because you can take things from them too.

Because that'd get boring? Even with the revisions. Why not have some freshness to the franchise? Why not introduce new things and creative ideas? Why not do some unique, different stuff? I'm talking characters, artifacts, weapons, planets—you name it. I was happy with G1, don't get me wrong, but to say the rest of the franchise needs to be just like it is something I don't agree with. It can be surpassed. It can improved upon.

The Movieverse definitely has had some mass-shifting? Have you seen AoE Lockdown? Honorable Optimus is still here, granted he just displays his anger more (and for good reason.) But, let's not turn this into a Movieverse Prime debate. We've had enough of those and everyone pretty much knows each other's thoughts about it.

Lockdown had a personality to differentiate him from Galvy. I am positive of it.

Both of those complaints can be tied to other areas of the franchise as well. Especially the stereotypical characters part. G1 had those too.

I know people that like the movies and dislike them. My theater teacher absolutely hates them and considers them abysmal. He prefers G1 and hasn't seen other parts of the franchise except for this and G1, but has heard things about other universes. A lot of people in that class don't prefer the Transformers movies, actually. Not all, but most. However, when I go around on campus, I find that non-nerds actually like the movies.

On Friday, in my discreet mathematics class, a conversation somehow developed around Shia LaBeouf and a guy made a comment about how he wasn't in AoE, leading to a conversation about the movies. I heard positive things, namely how the guy bringing up AoE said one of his favorite parts of DotM was how Sam flipped out on the guards before Bumblebee came.

In fact, as a part of my project for my mathematics class, I went around with a ballot based around the best comic-book film from this year and I listed AoE as one of the choices. AoE came in dead last or second-to-last about thirteen times out of the twenty people I asked to vote (a majority of these votes came from my theater class). The others had AoE listed as the third or second best comic-book film from this year. Only one person put AoE as the best of the year.

8. griffn29

Uh...
    I don't really hate people who like the film. I just got a little bit tired of the old posters (and people on YouTube) who think that anyone who doesn't like the film is a hater who doesn't know what they're talking about. Maybe that's my problem. That I took all those YouTube comments to heart, I mean :s.

But even then I wonder why I feel the need to articulate these points to people at all. I think it was a little rash on my part to think that I could change people's opinions on a film that they enjoyed just because of parts that I didn't personally like. I guess I just really feel the need to express these points in blind hope that a Transformers producer will stray across this board and maybe, maybe try to do things a little differently next time.

I guess when it comes to Paramount though, none of this matters. They aren't really interested in the franchise and aren't really conscious to how each and every movie under their studio will turn out. To the people who make movies for a living, it doesn't really matter whether an audience member enjoyed the film or hated it, all that matters is whether or not they bought the ticket. And while I though admit that this fourth movie could stand to be a lot better, if some fans believe that it's a step in the right direction, then I guess it worked for some people.

Though I'd probably prefer for it to go in the right direction right away and not just be a step. :p 

9. MnemonicSyntax

News Credits:
    But nothing in that post said I was calling anyone a hater. By "his people" and "my people" I was referring to the first life angle of those we talk to. Mike, Chris, Dakota, Jessie, Bri... this are a short list of my friends that enjoyed the movie (for example). He doesn't know them, and I don't know his Thomas, Richard and Harold, so the only real thing we have to go on is the forum. And there are people here who genuinely like the movies for what they are.

As for commenting on them, when people say things like "can't Paramount give Transformer fans what they want" it's bothersome because it's like saying we're not fans because for some, the movies are what they want and are perfectly happy with them, even more so than I am.

I know it because I've seen it on the forums, which goes back to my original point.

10. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

Have you seen very many Paramount sequels because they don't seem like a company that cares enough about it's reputation to care if they can get people back for a sequel.

Star Trek not reboot brings in $257 million domestically and even with a butt load of advertising and the selling point of a popular actor playing the villain Into Darkness has a domestic run of $228 million. Factor in some ticket inflation and not more butts in theater seats.

GI Joe Rise of Cobra $150 million domestically, GI Joe Retaliation $122 million domestically. So people were not returning to see the sequel.

Yet without getting more people to return or new people to jump on the franchises Paramount is still doing Star Trek 3 and GI Joe 3 because maybe they can get a few more bucks out of the franchises before a bomb forces an end to what they are doing with the franchises.

No one at Paramount seems to care if the Transformers movies are any good or not, they don't seem to care if people are happy with the films or not, they just seem to hope they can milk this thing a little more before they kill it. Paramount is the poster child for film making by bean counters.

11. Autobots14

Autobots14 I'm pregant Trevor

I think Paramount ruined a lot of franchises like Transformers, Ninja Turtles and G.I Joe.

12. aimop95

aimop95 Aimoperative

I think Michael Bay did one thing right.
    Bringing back Transformers to the public spotlight.

And giving us the prime continuity.

13. TheYearIs2005

TheYearIs2005 Well-Known Member

Guardians Of The Galaxy stayed in the top 10 in USA for a very long time, longer than Transformers AOE.

I would say GOTG was successful by word of mouth alone, as even though it's Marvel it's still a whole new bunch of characters and based in space. It took Marvel into a new dimension. Does Transformers have good word of mouth?

That's the difference.

14. TheSoundwave

TheSoundwave Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I think this thread is becoming a little bit too hostile, so I'll quit trying to argue th same point, and be more positive.

Yeah, I guess this is how the franchise has built upon itself over time. Most people think the movieverse takes most inspiration from G1. When it first came out, people actually thought it looked closer to G2, with the different "wacky" colors, like Green Ratchet, and Flame Design Optimus.

I was actually referring more to intentional mass-shifting, like radio Soundwave, but some of the characters definitely change sizes. When I first heard of AoE's molecular "Transformium" thing, I was secretly hoping they'd use it to introduce mass-shifting, and bring back, and use it on Soundwave, lol! If we ever do get a "G1 reboot", I hope they use a similar effect on Soundwave's transformation.

I do think it's interesting which people like, and don't like various versions of Transformers. A girl in one of my college classes brought up how much she liked AoE, I was really surprised, because she seemed like the least likely person there to like that kind of movie. Guess that shows that you can't go by first impressions, lol.

15. Decepticons

News Credits:
    I wasn't trying to be hostile! Sorry if I came off that way.

That'd be interesting, but I'd rather not have intentional mass-shifting. If they can give it a proper explanation like MtMtE did, then by all means go ahead.

Honestly, I never really liked it. More so in Megatron's case than Soundwave's. Megs's gun mode in G1 was just pure stupidity in my opinion.

That's very true.

16. TheSoundwave

News Credits:
    Oh, I wasn't talking about you, I was just referring to the whole thread in general.

I agree about Megatron. I used to laugh at it, turning into a handgun is pretty useless, and tiny. I understand why they did it because of the toy, and it kind of worked in the cartoon, but I have no desire to see that again. The only thing I miss about that, is the image of Prime weilding him. I always liked it with Soundwave though, I always thought Soundwave somehow felt different from the other Transformers, like he was maybe just a really advanced computer instead of a living robot with a soul. I always thought the size-changing added to that.

17. Decepticons

News Credits:
    I never thought about it that way. Makes sense.

18. Trailcomber

Trailcomber Autobot Geologist

This last film made me lose any feelings of goodwill toward bayformers. I know for certain that I will not go see the next one, which is odd. I saw a lot of movies this summer, more than I usually see, including Captain America 2, GOTG, X-Men, Planet of the Apes, and AOE. I would rank AOE dead last on that list, which is crazy since I am a huge TF fan.

I think those of you saying the TF film franchise will die out are right, the quality is diminishing. I wouldn't be surprised if the next film is set in China with only Chinese actors and dialogue.

19. TheSoundwave

News Credits:
    Yeah! Even though it's a different continuity, I always took TFP's "Soundwave is no ordinary Cybertronian" line as a hint.

20. Decepticons

News Credits:
    Soundwave certainly is more than he makes out to be.