Transformers Fans under 25yo

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Nako, May 22, 2021.

1. Nako

Nako Well-Known Member

I'm 41, grew up with G1 and still love it. But I'm curious why younger fans like G1 or not?
    Were you a fan of the Bay movies and went back to see G1? With G1 selling like Crazy in Studio Series 86, and Kingdom, Earthrise, etc. It can't just be the old G1 fans like me buying these toys, or is it?

• Like Like x 5
  2. Dorsk812

Dorsk812 Well-Known Member

I'm 26. Is that to old to contribute?
    For me as a kid, I just like transforming robots. Anything with that was a hit for me. The 20something anniversary of the g1 movie happened right when I was at peak interest in transformers and it made me aware of the G1 cartoon and I watched season 1 just before the 1st bay film was released.
    I liked the first and third bay movie but preferred the expanded universe comic, and games gave those films.
    Toy wise, I don't buy exclusively G1 characters, and I'm only 4 or 5 away from being complete from my target. I don't buy masterpeice, and I can't afford every single generations toy released. I'm not in a financial spot to afford that. I don't think many people my age are. So I think the buying power probly comes from your generation that has a much higher number of people with a greater disposable income. But thats just my thoughts and opinion.

• Like Like x 4
  3. optimusbee

optimusbee Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I’m 19, will be 20 in a few days. I grew up with the movies but started branching off into G1 around 2014 and now I love and buy both and any other continuities I like.

• Like Like x 4
  4. CaioSilvatheScreamerFan

CaioSilvatheScreamerFan Destron New Leader

Facebook:
    After being introduced to TF by the 07 movie i bought the first DVD with the name Transformers in it i could find, it contained the episodes More Than Meets the Eye Part 1 and S.O.S Dinobots, i watched them non-stop as a kid and then Animated came out with an aesthetic reminiscent of G1 so i got very attached to these designs

• Like Like x 2
  5. Fallout

Fallout Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    23 and a little more bored with the hobby everyday, as i've mostly sampled enough from everything to know what i like and i don't like big collections. i'm buying cool stuff cheap when i find it but for the most part i'm done collecting at the 50ish i have now.

my older cousins both grew up on g1 so i got hand me down toys and g1 dvd's along with regular helpings of armada when i was probably 5 and that kept going til i was like 8 or so, then i didn't really like transformers after that until dotm came out when i was 13-14 and i was hooked. ish. hookedish. 10 years later, like i said, i'm mostly burnt out. doesn't help the brand and, it seems the fandom to some degree, are kind of stagnating.

• Like Like x 2
  6. SecretWyvern

SecretWyvern Tax fraud is the right of all sentient beings

I actually like G1 itself generally speaking, as a fan who grew up primarily with the UT and occasional watch of the live action films, but I'll admit a dissatisfaction with the brand at the moment due to its overreliance on said piece of the franchise, with everything else becoming more and more homogenized to match. Hopefully in the next few years more parts of the franchise can get the time in the sun they deserve and the mainline can be more daring, and I'll be able to enjoy G1 without the slight bitterness I do at the moment

• Like Like x 3
  7. ABrown

ABrown Well-Known Member

It's so awesome that we have tfw2005 to bring together all of us different generations of transformers fans. There's people like me that are in our 40s that grew up with the original cartoon. There's people in their 30s that grew up with the beast Era. Members here in their 20s grew up with the unicron trilogy. And there's teenagers here who grew up with the prime universe. What do we have in common, we all love transformers.

• Like Like x 4
  8. LightningBlade3

LightningBlade3 Destined to be a Prime

News Credits:
    24 and I had the Unicron Trilogy as my introduction into the franchise. But we did have this old video rental store (remember those?) that had G1 tapes and the '86 movie so you could technically say I grew up on those too. I have an appreciation for G1, but I do miss having new, different iterations of characters with each new series. These days, the hobby just doesn't bring me the same joy that it used to which is a shame since it's been a part of my life since I was 5. I buy figures every once in a while but I just feel empty about them these days, even for characters that I usually like (though some of Earthrise and Studio Series has been pretty good). I also tried reading the comics but I can't get into them either despite knowing that they're well-liked in the community. I hope something does grab my attention and every time a new project is announced, I do feel myself getting a bit excited for them so we'll just have to wait and see.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Fafnir72

Fafnir72 Well-Known Member

You'll never know if the responders are the actual 20ish below unless you put up a scientific study guaranteeing their privacy as any one can claim to be this or that nowadays.

Also, I do really hope the entire line is really selling like hotcakes. I also heard that G1 figs like Hoist, Grapple, Siege Megs are like shelf warming? Same with Snapdragon ( I had a hard time getting one ) so, it's either the distribution sucks or they really are selling out.

• Like Like x 1
  10. JomasterII

JomasterII The Space Consultant from Jolo

News Credits:
    I'm 21, and totally fine with G1. Never grew up with Transformers so these new figures are pretty good for me to get older characters in my collection. Upset that other lines like G2 don't get representation though.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Longitudinalwave

Longitudinalwave A Big Fan of (Sound/Shock)wave

I'm 20 years old; G1 is actually my favorite Transformers series. My dad grew up watching it and passed his nostalgia for it down to me.

• Like Like x 3
  12. Smokeyoreo18

Smokeyoreo18 Has to wait 273 days till he can watch RotB

News Credits:
    YouTube:
    I’m younger than most of the unicron trilogy and I grew up with prime, animated, Rid15, and the movies and I like G1 but it’s not my absolute favorite series. When I was 7 I searched up Transformers YouTube and watched every single video that I could before I wasn’t allowed to use it. But later on I watched Prime, the movies and read the screen to page animated comics, then later on I watched almost every single transformers show that my library had (beast machines and the unicron trilogy) and watched a lot of WFC/FoC gameplay (and I think I even played them I don’t really remember), and I also read some of the IDW comics that came with the generations and combiner wars toylines.
    My wallet is begging for mercy.

• Like Like x 2
  13. Nako

Nako Well-Known Member

I figure that would be the case for a lot of younger fans.

I said 25 just as a baseline. Fans who didn't grow up with G1 is more accurate I guess.

Really nice to know the fandom will continue pass old TF fans like me.

I can understand that. I may love G1, but I would also love an updated Armada Prime Figure.

Last edited by a moderator: May 23, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Bee427

Bee427 Still here and queer

Cyberverse was my first Transformers show, and I watched G1 after starting that. I enjoy G1 partly in an ironic sense, but it has a lot of cool concepts and it gets my imagination firing.

• Like Like x 2
  15. Rewind Eject

Rewind Eject Still no war in Ba Sing Se

27, I watched Beast Wars when I was very young. I first saw G1 during the Unicron Trilogy. It's fun for a quirky 80s cartoon even though I think the 90s - early 2000s was the best for animation. I just wish Hasbro kept the fun atmosphere of G1 paired with better designs instead of the old block like figures with boring melodrama.

• Like Like x 3
  16. Ivypool

Ivypool Well-Known Member

I’m 19, I grew up with the bay movies and Prime, only went back and watched some G1 semi-recently. It has a similar vibe to say, Scooby Doo, imo. A simple, serialized cartoon, good to watch while playing a video game or drawing.

• Like Like x 3
  17. HotRodDidNothingWrong

HotRodDidNothingWrong Still salty about TLK Hot Rod

As an 18 year old who grew up on the G1 cartoon and movie (even had a few reissues of the original toys growing up), I can confirm that we do in fact exist. Sure I also grew up on the unicron trilogy, rid 2001, the bay films, and animated, but G1 has been my favourite part of the franchise.

• Like Like x 3
  18. Applejacktimus

Applejacktimus Eater of Garbage

Armada got me into Transformers when I was 3 or 4 years old, but I also had a VHS tape of the G1 film, and pretty much the first thing I did on the internet was look up everything I could about Transformers. I probably watched G1 and Beast Wars when I was 9 or so years old, probably on the official Hasbro/Transformers website (which I have not been to in over a decade, probably, since I found TFW) if not youtube since all sorts of shows used to get away with being uploaded there in full despite copyright at the time.

G1 surely drew in plenty of fans during the time it was on Netflix for a few years, and it's now been available 100% free on the TubiTV website/app for like two years as well. G1 is hardly lost to history with how normalized internet immersion has become. 3 minutes on a phone and a kid at a store could learn all about a G1 character they see on the shelves today.

• Like Like x 3
  19. CaioSilvatheScreamerFan

CaioSilvatheScreamerFan Destron New Leader

Facebook:
    Sunbow G1 that is

• Like Like x 2
  20. Nako

Nako Well-Known Member

Cool, nice to know younger fans enjoy G1 also.

• Like Like x 2