Transformers Escape Miniseries Announced

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by ezim93, Sep 16, 2020.

1. ezim93

ezim93 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
  2. HeroicC300

HeroicC300 Chats with Artists

News Credits:
    Going to be fun and I can't wait to see who appears and how much plot there will be now that he has to compress

3. ScientistMan

ScientistMan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The series already has a theme song available:

• Like Like x 11
  4. SuperTitanHans

SuperTitanHans Upgraded

News Credits:
    Cool.

5. Warpshard

Warpshard Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Looks cool, but Hound being characterized as a scientist feels strange. I've always viewed him as more of a naturalist, like a less hippy version of Beachcomber. I guess I should wait to see previews of the comic before giving my final judgement, though.

• Like Like x 7
  6. artiepants

artiepants Transformers '84!!!

News Credits:
    guess this is taking Galaxies place??

7. Nova Maximus

Nova Maximus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Probably, since Galaxies takes place before the war and the war/revolution just started with the new issue.

8. RetrogradeMercury

RetrogradeMercury Well-Known Member

ooo love those covers. Those stylized takes on Wheeljack and Hound are especially cool.

• Like Like x 1
  9. ILoveDinobot

ILoveDinobot You can, you up. No can, no BB.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Now, this looks interesting.

10. Windsweeper II

Windsweeper II Banned

News Credits:
    Seems like another boring geewun-character focus series. Pass.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Dinobot Snarl

Dinobot Snarl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    When does this take place, what Universe?   That Wheeljack makes me wish we get at least one more go on a physical Wheeljack, hopefully his van mode with comic styled aggressive head.   The G1 head is much too humble. 

12. Majestic Senzu

Majestic Senzu Professional Chain Yanker TFW2005 Supporter

“I’ve always thought it would be a pretty terrifying, bewildering experience for aliens — non-Cybertronians — to be caught between warring factions of big transforming robots."

Um, what? Dude, that is (partially) why humans are there in a Transformers story. Humans aren't alien to us obviously, but how exactly are these aliens supposed to be different in a plotting and story sense? They have weird tentacles on their face and yell "Blarghborg" when they are scared? You have to humanize the aliens in order for readers to care so they can't be too different from humans. Therefore, if the aliens are going to be humanesque, what's the point? Wouldn't a terrifying and bewildering experience with gigantic warring robots be more terrifying and bewildering if the species caught in the middle were us?

Have humans been caught in the Cybertronian wars all the time in this franchise? Yes, of course. That's part of the appeal for me. I just don't understand why seeing it from some random "alien" species (who just so happens to be similar to us) makes this comic worth purchasing. If you are going for something different, how about not featuring a comparatively small and fragile species meeting giant warring robots from the first time? It's the exact same thing as any other story in this franchise. I'm not saying Ruckley has to write the same story that others have done better again, but bloody hell man, don't pretend this is uncharted territory for Transformers. This just seems like an elaborate excuse to jumpcut to a first contact story before his "epic" tale of civil war is over.

(This is assuming that the aliens Ruckley speaks of are tiny and fragile. They could very well not be tiny and fragile, but then how is meeting "big" robots terrifying if you are a foot shorter than them on average?) EDIT: Judging by the cover, they are either the same average height as humans or slightly taller.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2020
    • Like Like x 7
  13. ProtectronPrime

ProtectronPrime Subjectively Objective

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'm usually not too critical of Ruckley, but yeah. I think we've had over a decade of what a person in 2010-2020 would do when being chased down by a giant alien metal killing machine:

• Like Like x 3
  14. Majestic Senzu

What usually comes to mind when I here "Transformers" and "terrifying, bewildering experience" does come from the movies, but it's usually the opening Blackout scene from Transformers 07 and the random screaming woman when Ironhide does his best imitation of Neo. Now, it will also be Shia LaBeouf screaming in terror.

15. Rob

Rob Prowl Fan

News Credits:
    I think the point he is trying to make is you can write a story without limits. Humans, in aggregate, have to survive in the end. The movies can’t show the military getting crushed because of financial politics, no PIO is going to sign off Military hardware of its to make a movie which has the organization lending the hardware get humiliated and crushed by fictional aliens.

The closest we got to total destruction was All Hail Megatron, but even then it was not total destruction, the Autobots came in and saved the day at the end. Because it will be tough to keep the comic going at that time without a huge chunk of the supporting cast, the humans.

• Like Like x 2
  16. rikaldomario

rikaldomario Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Read the title and expected a new animated series like Cyberverse, but even if I like the comics for the most part, I'm slightly dissapointed.

Also, "Escape" sounds more like a sequel to "Siege" than "Earthrise".

• Like Like x 3
  17. BombSquad

BombSquad Commander Broadside Proponent

News Credits:
    I wonder why this is a miniseries instead of part of the main book. It's the same creative team and seems to be part of the same story.

18. Nova Maximus

Nova Maximus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Probably so they can focus on the war with the main cast in the main book and focus on smaller characters and another story at the same time.

19. Majestic Senzu

Who is to say that the humans in this continuity couldn't all die? This isn't a movie; it's a comic book series. Anything could happen. Besides, I don't think this continuity is going to last long. It would make this series vastly more interesting if the Cybertronians, quite unexpectedly, all but eradicated the human race. It could be by accident or the Decepticons destroy the planet. THAT would be uncharted territory.

Also, I'm not sure this random alien species will be destroyed. There is nothing in the solicitation to suggest all the innocent civilians are killed. I am almost 100% sure that there will be survivors of this new alien species and that the survivors (at least one) will become part of the supporting cast. What else is odd is that it omits what planet these civilians are on. Is this taking place on Cybertron? Is this a new squishy species found on Cybertron?

20. DerVernichter

DerVernichter Well-Known Member

That cover with Wheeljack's face on is dope.

• Like Like x 3