Transformers Earthspark Discussion thread

Discussion in 'Transformers Earthspark and Cartoon Discussion' started by Cliffjumper, Feb 24, 2022.

1. JoeSmithy283

JoeSmithy283 Well-Known Member

AO3

That's the site I'm using,
    Here's the The reason why it's so important is because of the vast amount of already canonical tags to our fandom and link us to the main one
    Here here is what you would find if you search. Just "Transformers all type of media"

Earth spark has yet to be added and there has already been 80 fics, without it being connected, It's hard to find. So it's better to rip the Band-Aid off now and contact AO3 stuff and request for it because it will come back down the line. This has all of the fandom tagged in one way or another It needs to be canonized to be found in the general tag for Transformers media and thus be connected

2. DarkAxalonSyde

DarkAxalonSyde Excessively Angry Decepticon

Well that's an utterly bland look.

Wait, so...
    ...by the end of S1, Earthspark Megatron will have been a fascist dictator intent on imperialistic expansion, a bleeding heart liberal caricature that thinks the mere concept of incarcerating violent criminals is wrong and finally some kind of extremist that wants to replace the very people he was just trying to protect with a new race.
    I might have to keep watching this show just to see how absolutely nonsense it gets.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Novaburnhilde

Novaburnhilde Lord High Governor

News Credits:
    Oof, I didn't even put that together with Megatron.

Admittedly it's only been 10 episodes but uhh... yeah, I certainly hope they justify this quite radical change in motivation. :^) Plus I agree that I think Megatron's reaction to how his 'Cons are being treated to be a bit overdramatic, it's not like they're being executed en masse or something... Being thrown in jail is no fun but clearly some of the Decepticons are still quite eager to cause problems so SOMETHING has to be done.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2023
    • Like Like x 2
  4. DarkAxalonSyde

Literally all I ask for, from the Megatron that's currently in Earthspark, is an actual reason why he's unhappy with Ghost's treatment of the Decepticons. They haven't even tried to explain it. I guess if there is going to be a
    prison riot
    episode, they might explore it there, but if they can manage to get through an entire episode of Megatron specifically criticizing Ghost's treatment of the 'Cons without actually saying what's wrong with it, I'm not holding my breath.

• Like Like x 3
  5. Nate98

Nate98 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I think you're oversimplifying and jumping the gun on the Megatron part especially without really seeing how it turns out and ignoring the context of previous episodes. I don't think Megatron wants the Cybertronians eradicated and the terrans to replace them entirely, I'm guessing it's more he feels their time is over and it's time to Pas the torch to the next generation and step in cybertronian evolution.

Look at the start of episode 9, he's angry as he feels humans still fear their kind. But at the end of the episode 10 he obviously has a change of heart and renewed hope when he looks at the Maltos with their new Terran family members. Optimus explains thats the real Human and Cybertronian alliance and what they must protect, so Megatron knows there's hope for the future of his race.

Alot of the episodes explain Megatrons concerns and problems with Ghost. Megatron bluntly explains it's the mass incarceration of Decepticons and forcing them to stay in one form "during a time of so called peace" as he puts it, they're not really given that much other options although he's not happy some Cons are causing problems too. Optimus even admits he's ashamed with how Ghost is treating Decepticons but is only working with them because he wants to fix human and cybertronian relations.

• Like Like x 2
  6. DarkAxalonSyde

I'll admit, it's entirely possible that it's just the way the leaker worded it, but when I read
    that a race "had their time and should be replaced"
    I think of someone advocating genocide, to some degree. Honestly, that is part of why I'm now more motivated to keep watching; I want to know whether or not it's actually as bad as it sounds.

I mean, being upset about the mass incarceration of members of a fascistic military invasion force sounds really, really dumb, to me and I'd really like to think that the writers actually had better reasons for why the characters keep acting like this is a bad thing. Then again, they sometimes try to treat it as if it's a race issue, when it's not: The Decepticons aren't a race, they're a faction and if they are a race in this show, that NEEDS to actually be established.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Tetratron

Tetratron AEColyte

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    The way I kind of take it as Megs isn't overtly concerned about reconnecting contact with Cybertron and is content to let Transformers like him and the rest of the Bots and Cons gradually die off and be replaced by the Terrans

• Like Like x 4
  8. Ravage Stanixa

Ravage Stanixa My Spark belongs to the TRUE Perfect Decepticon.

Ebay:
    Twitter:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    YouTube (Custom URL):
    Tumblr:
    Yeah, how much of Cyberverse did you actually watch?

It started out as fluffy candy. It got dark real fast. It scared the pants off me during the "Starscream starts a cult" arc, the Quint arc, and the Tarn arc. I watch stuff like Profit, Twin Peaks, American Horror Story, Kindred, etc and it really did scare me. (WFC just disgusted me.)

At the end of the series I was off and on weepy for a couple of days, but that's...just my personal issues. I loved it.

As an actually mature adult, I found Cyberverse a lot more interesting than say, WFC, where I couldn't tell whether it was just the characters or also the writers who kept playing catch with the Idiot Ball, or the unnecessary sexual harassment of Elita-1 by Megatron, which is the sort of thing I don't want to see any more than most parents want their children to see it.

There is a lot of fluffy candy in Earthspark's first few episodes, but it's also getting dark real fast. It's starting to look like what the folks on TVTropes call a "Crapsaccharine World" where everything looks peaceful and happy and then you find out what is really going on behind the scenes.

GHOST is freaking ominous, we have a Bumblebee who laughs at a starving person for accidentally killing a friend, and both Megatron and Optimus are becoming more and more aware that they have made a devil's bargain. Their first thought when they meet the newsparks isn't that they'll be recruited into saving-the-world work too young, but rather that they'll be stolen away and experimented on.

So you might want to grit your teeth through the cow petting scenes (they're not my favourite either tbh, there's too much friends-not-food propaganda out there, although I don't think this actually is that) and wait to see where this goes. I think we're getting a lot of fluff and fuzz in the first few episodes so kids will fall in love with the characters before they start putting them all through eleven kinds of fresh hell.

• Like Like x 5
  9. Ravage Stanixa

Ebay:
    Twitter:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    YouTube (Custom URL):
    Tumblr:
    Give Ravi the bass. Her claws will do a number on the drumheads.

<3

(Desperately hoping that since they are doing more femmes, Ravage will be one like about 50% of AO3 writers think she should be. And desperately hoping that since they are not shying away from IDW stuff like Megatron's redemption, the deeper relationships she typically has with both Megatron and Soundwave in the Marvel and IDW comics, where she's one of the earliest Decepticons, and where Riptide not so subtly basically asked her where she'd be staying now that Meg's defection broke up their triad and/or triumvirate, will be treated as such rather than making her one of the kids like they usually do in cartoons. The fact that she gave the defecting cassettes the side eye and sneaked into prison with Soundwave gave me great hope. And Starscream agrees with me.)

• Like Like x 3
  10. Ravage Stanixa

Ebay:
    Twitter:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    YouTube (Custom URL):
    Tumblr:
    For AO3 tags to become canonical there has to be a critical mass of fics that use that tag, and this applies just as much to fandom tags as it does to tags like "Starscream being Starscream", which also has a lot of hits. The more Earthspark fics people write, the sooner it will happen.

I might write ES fic once I know more about the backstory but there's too many unanswered questions about the characters I care about the most for me to have an idea what I'd write in the first place. I basically write canon soup though, basing the characterisations largely from MTMTE but stealing from Victory, TFA, TFP, G1 and CV when I see something I want in my world. So, uh, who knows?

Most of the ES fic I've seen on AO3 has been about Dot and Megs' friendship or Soundwave and Megatron's nasty divorce. I just read a really funny one where Megs accidentally sends Dot a text that he intended to send to Optimus. I can't link to it here.

Can't link to my own fics here either, since explicit fics and fics with "slash" regardless of rating are not allowed to be linked here.

(The slash thing is really bigoted, btw. I understand not wanting explicit stuff, but slash is just same-gender relationships--even if they just hold hands or kiss lightly.)

But I'm cleverThylacine on AO3.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Wreckneck

Wreckneck Well-Known Member

The problem with a Rooster Teeth project (which WFC was) is that it's hard to tell who's the bigger idiot of the show: The characters for making increasingly dumb decisions, or the writers for making even dumber decisions. RWBY does this all the time after Season 3.

As for EarthSpark, it certainly feels like they're setting up a lot of dark backstory (and later story) with what we've seen thus far, Most Transformers series tend to tackle darker and/or more serious stories after the first handful of episodes, even G1 has its fair share of disturbing content when you really think about it (Season 3 alone has more than its fair share; but even Seasons 1 and 2 had quite a few stories that fit the bill too like War Dawn, the Secret of Omega Surpeme or Fire in the Sky), and it's one of the lightest series out there.

• Like Like x 4
  12. SpeedDemon27

SpeedDemon27 Active Member

Rooster teeth has some of the worst writers in the industry. Almost all their series basically rely on ripping off pop culture. Whenever they try to do original plots, they introduce way too many elements and constantly leave them half finished. RWBY is a clusterfuck of multiple characters fighting over different trinkets. Red vs Blue latest stuff had this space time dimensional nonsense followed by a team of characters no one liked. Then Gen:Lock promoted suicide. Hasbro could not have chosen a worst company to handle Transformers, and I say that as someone who likes the old RVB and RWBY stuff. (I mostly listen to F**KFACE now).

In regards to Earthspark, it will be interesting to see where they take the "dark backstory". There's meant to be an episode that takes place at the Spacebridge Memorial Park. I can imagine that episode will go deeper into the backstory of the show. Since all we really know is "at some point Optimus destroyed the space bridge".

• Like Like x 7
  13. Leolim

Leolim Well-Known Member

Death battle is great YouTube series.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Tetratron

Tetratron AEColyte

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Wouldn't be surprised if it's another riff on "Megatron's Master Plan" with some elements from DOTM.

• Like Like x 3
  15. SpeedDemon27

SpeedDemon27 Active Member

Death Battle doesn't really count. Screwattack was the original host of the series before it went to Rooster Teeth.

• Like Like x 2
  16. BlastOff682

BlastOff682 Well-Known Member

I haven't seen much of Earthspark, but I really enjoy a lot of the characters, Especially Twitch. When I see her toy on shelves I'm totally going to get her. But one intriguing thing I noticed is that Grimlock appears on the box as one of the characters whos getting a toy, I really wonder how they are going to portray him and the Dinobots in the show.

• Like Like x 2
  17. Magnum Dongus

Magnum Dongus @DiddlyDipstick on Twitter

The way I see it, is it’s on the same level tonally as Cyberverse and RiD, but it’s a lot better in terms of quality. If it weren’t for the fact that the last few Transformers shows were also very light hearted, I’d probably enjoy it more. But it’s still not bad.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Leolim

Leolim Well-Known Member

Rescue bots would like a word with you.

• Like Like x 4
  19. Strafe28066

Strafe28066 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I really want to see if there's any more Decepticons who are working with ghost / accepted the treaty. I imagine Thundercracker would be one of them. Who else could still be siding with Megatron?

• Like Like x 8
  20. Tetratron

Tetratron AEColyte

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    One of the animators on the show shared an animatic of the battle from the last episode.

• Like Like x 4