Transformers DOTM Reviews

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Nelson, Jun 24, 2011.

1. weeezl

weeezl Well-Known Member

2. thebruteslayer

thebruteslayer Banned

News Credits:
  3. DecepticonsRule

DecepticonsRule Triple-Changer

News Credits:
    Most critics don't have enough balls or intelligence to make up an opinion on their own, so they look to other, "veteran" critics for inspiration. Hence no good reviews for ROTF whatsoever.

4. Opticron Primal

Opticron Primal Comin' up OOOs!

News Credits:
    There were a few at first, but as more people started bashing it they decided to completely negate the reviews and hop on the bandwagon, which is even worse, IMO.

5. whiskeytango

whiskeytango Combaticon

Or its just possible they didn't like it. There doesn't have to be a conspiracy. Sometimes people just don't like movies that other people do like.

6. Sideswipe80

Sideswipe80 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Sorry man but there was nothing good about ROTF. That movie was a train wreck.

7. Opticron Primal

Opticron Primal Comin' up OOOs!

News Credits:
    I'm not saying it's a conspiracy at all.

But completely negating your positive review by turning around and bashing the same movie kinda hurts your credibility.

8. DecepticonsRule

News Credits:
    DOTM, even though I didn't like it myself, is still going to get panned by critics, because they will unanimously agree to not like it, no matter what.

Not that universally though. ROTF and DOTM have good things in them, but guaranteed, most critics are not going to mention the good bits. They're only going to focus on the bad parts.
    It's not so much a conspiracy, but just how Hollywood works. Most critics don't like Michael Bay, so they're going to pan his work no matter what.

Guaranteed, the Transformers movies would've been given better reviews if James Cameron had directed them.

I'm going to have to agree to disagree on that one. I loved ROTF, even though it wasn't as good as TF1. I personally hated DOTM, which is again strange, because most of the fandom loved it.

9. DecepticonsRule

News Credits:
    Well, here's why I thought it was bad, in shortened form.

The plot was fine with me (I would've done it differently, but that's besides the point). It was the way the plot was executed that was the problem for me.
    The film started fast, and didn't let up. I felt like things were very rushed, and even though it was a 2 1/2 hour movie, it felt like they were scrambling to get everything into the allotted time frame. We didn't have time to absorb what was happening in one scene before we were thrown into the next. The movie was too face paced to enjoy, appreciate or understand much of what was going on throughout the entire thing.
    I know the movie was trying to have a darker atmosphere, and in some ways they succeeded, but mainly I thought they failed (and speed was the reason for this). Looking at all the big, impactful sequences throughout the films (the Arrival of the Autobots in TF1, the Arrival of the Fallen and Devastator's formation in ROTF), they had these huge buildups, which made the actual scenes have massive impact. DOTM had none of this. The Decepticon Invasion, the Highway Battle and the Chicago Attack all had virtually no leadup, which meant that we weren't prepared for the action and darkness of the sequence- thus leading it to have little impact on the audience. The execution scene was amazing, and that's how the Decepticon Invasion and Chicago Attack should've been done.

On the most part, the human characters weren't badly done. Sam I thought was a rather bitchy throughout the whole thing, because in ROTF he was complaining about how he wanted to be normal, and now in DOTM he can't seem to accept being normal. Dylan was a weak attempt at a human villain I thought, but I didn't really buy the idea of the Decepticons having this network of humans working for them anyway. Carly I liked, and I think she was both a positive influence on the other characters in the film, and the film itself. Mearing I liked quite a bit, purely because of her no-nonsense attitude (which was funny at parts).

The robots I thought were awfully done in DOTM. Out of the three films, this had the worst robot characterization. Prime dropped all his morales (I thought), and became way more violent than his character should be. Sentinel Prime I found to be a very weak character. There wasn't much behind his motivations (I thought), and he seemed to be more of a rambling old man who was off his rocker, than an actual wise and powerful leader. The Wreckers were rather disappointing, as they ended up being more of stereotypes and less of awesomeness. Ironhide's death was pitiful, considering how he was one of the most loved characters of all three films, he wasn't given even a "goodbye" by anyone- he was just killed suddenly and unnecessarily. Brains and Wheelie I loved though, they were hilarious. I was disappointed the Twins were left out in the end, especially considering they could've added some personality to the movie's robot roster.
    The Decepticons were even worse off than the Autobots Megatron was a whiny, mopy little bitch. Shockwave was next to useless, which is extra disappointing considering how much hype he got. Soundwave devolved into just another generic warrior among the ranks of Decepticons. The Dreads were underused, and other than that, the Decepticons really kind of sucked. Laserbeak though, I have to say, was the shit. Creepy and awesome at the same time, I think he might be one of the best done Movieverse robots, if not the best.

What really gets me was this was supposed to to be the "epic finale" of the series, and it didn't feel that way at all. DOTM felt very episodic, and there wasn't enough finality in the ending. They killed all the major bad guys, but I didn't feel like they gave the movie a finite ending. TF1 and ROTF had more conclusive, finite ending than DOTM did. DOTM just kind of ended, randomly, whereas TF1 and ROTF had an epic, final, wrapped up conclusion. Also, I thought the ending speech of DOTM was the worst out of the three movies. The fact that DOTM was supposed to be an epic conclusion led me to believe they were going to pull out all the stops to make it the best Transformers movie that it could be. Instead, I feel like they aimed sub-par, because people were going to see it anyway. I didn't see anything I loved from the previous films in DOTM- it was just a huge mess, separate from TF1 and ROTF.

Don't get me wrong, there were some parts and aspects that I liked, and I try to enjoy those over the parts that I don't. For me though, DOTM was too much of a train wreck to be able enjoy- not only as a Transformers film, but as an action movie in general.

10. Ephland

Ephland Let's Go Rangers

News Credits:
    I keep seeing people making this argument, and it's completely illogical. In Transformers 1, he - without hesitation - beheaded Bonecrusher. Then later on he's fighting Megatron... what did people think was going to happen there?

In ROTF, he starts the movie by executing Demolisher with a shot to the head. Later he kills Grindor by ripping his head apart. Then at the end, he kills the Fallen by ripping his spark out.

It's not like he all of a sudden becomes hyperviolent in DOTM. That is his established characterization since the first movie.

And I don't have a problem with it, because it's a war, and he's trying to protect Earth.

11. thebruteslayer

thebruteslayer Banned

News Credits:
    I think the critics are not giving the movie a real chance. Maybe their experience was like
    Hiraga's when he saw ROTF (farting hippo next to him), and couldn't really enjoy the movie and just
    written their reviews with a rage face.

12. jamjam101

jamjam101 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Critics just hate Bay. That's all. He makes movies for his fans, they do extremely well, and critics hate on that. Give this movie 'A James Cameron Film' and easily would be at least an 8 across the boards.

13. madman1366

madman1366 "The Bad Guy"

News Credits:
    I've said it before I'll say it again...Bay pissed off some people by writing a script while script writers were on strike.

Ebert I do believe is a member of the screen writers guild. I'm sure many critics have people they know that are screen writers who didn't appreciate Bay doing that. It seems petty...but unions do hold grudges!!!

Ebert's review of ROTF seemed to touch off the entire backlash that followed. So many of the reviews seemed like nothing more than reworded Ebert reviews which I'll say made me a bit suspicious.

I'm not saying that critics ever would have loved it, but I don't think they ever would have crapped on it as much as they did either. Ebert especially took it personally because he didn't let go after the review, he continued on with his berating well beyond that. I've never seen that before, and I'm sure that wasn't the first time he came under fire for a review he wrote either...it's part of the job. This was personal!

14. payton34

payton34 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    NO, critics are rich, fat idiots that have an intense hatred for Michael Bay on a personal level and they focus on that instead of marveling at his amazing films.

YOU ARE JUST HATERS!!!

:eek: 

15. madman1366

madman1366 "The Bad Guy"

News Credits:
    Nonsense! Prime should have taken all the Decepticons by the hand and sang Kumbaya together! Have a Coke and smile! Make love not war! And he should have been named Hippymus Prime and been rainbow colored.

Gripes over Prime being too violent are even more ******ed than the arguments over whether or not Megatron should have been a gun! A human soldier can snap like that after a relatively short time in battle...Prime's been going at it how long?

How many friends does one have to see die, how much destruction witnessed before Prime can be justified for killing a mofo (one trying to kill him at that) with extreme prejudice?

16. madman1366

madman1366 "The Bad Guy"

News Credits:
    The Decepticons showed up at some point after the Ark crashed and took the pillars for the space bridge and hid with them until they were called for. They are machines so they most likely just went into stasis.

The pillars were useless without Sentinel and the control pillar. They needed an autobot to recover him, and Optimus to reactivate him.

Throughout the 3 movies you can piece together what the original plan essentially was. Yeah, still some foggy bits in it but those can be filled through ones owe imaginative thoughts. Nothing wrong with using those.

The 3 movies together were basically a tale of what happens when a good plan went bad and the cluster fuck that ensued while the Decepticons tried to salvage bits of it. After all 3 movies, you can get a better idea of what that overall plan was, you just have to put thought into it or it will go right over your head.

17. KA

KA Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I think michael bay can direct good movies within the genre he specialize in. But movies with multiple sub plot work against him due to his style. Lucas fast cutting worked in jedi because hes style is super efficient. Bay with his mtv tendencies, the movie equivalent of decompressed storytelling in comics, makes for choppy flow/pacing. Towards the end ur going, wow this thing is still going.

But overall its still fun. The g1 homages were surprising for me who avoided spoilers, the action scenes were great and the human characters are better than expected. The trilogy basically oversaw sam thru his teens, then thru post adolescent n now as a young adult. Shia really made this trilogy because despite bays weakness for actual drama u really get a sense of sam growing up thru incredible cicumstance where he saves the planet but can get recognization for it.

I also like thw whole alien conspiracy angle. Seeing simmons was great n tudyk was a pleasant surprise.

18. JustEddie

JustEddie Member

Thanks to Q's Inventions, the humans got the upperhand with the decepticons in chicago.
    he shoulda had more AIRTIME and a more decent death... but instead he suffered from "jolt" syndrome... anyway.. where did jolt ran away to?

19. JustEddie

JustEddie Member

btw, do any of you have an account in rotten tomatoes? because they are killing Dark Of The Moon with rotten comments full of hate and ignorance... :( 

20. payton34

payton34 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    It's a good thing there's nothing like that around here.