Transformers D20

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Furious Rodimus, Jul 13, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rexidus

Rexidus Autobot

News Credits:
    I don't know the dates but I own both. Mechagenesis is an expansion of Morphosis and is newer. I've been to their official site and they theoretically have a second Genesis book getting ready to be released; though it's been in that status for like 4 years.

2. Gen. Magnus

Gen. Magnus Meep

News Credits:
    Is anyone running an online game of this? I've shot the idea by my group, but some of the members were really against it. I offered to run it, but only a couple wanted to play it. I'd love to play in a game of Mechamorphosos/Genesis if one of you does have an online (skype+whatever mapping utility) going on (that said, I am an experienced gamer).

I've got a hard copy of Morphosis and a PDF of Genesis.

3. Gammatron 64

Gammatron 64 Well-Known Member

I don't have time to do anything like that now. Sides, I'm a little tried of being the GM all the time. Gametable is an ok mapping program. I've never tried playing a tabletop game online, though.

Plus, for Transformers, I kinda like playing it in person, because it gives grown adults to play with the toys, heh.

4. Gen. Magnus

Gen. Magnus Meep

News Credits:
    Maptool from RP Tools works pretty well if used in conjunction with Hamachi.

I understand what you are saying about playing in person. Trust me, I'd rather play in person, but it seems that I don't have enough interest in my group to warrant it which is why I am reaching out for an online game.

Gaming can work alright online. I have recently been playing online since a member of my group moved 20 hours away.

5. Rexidus

Rexidus Autobot

News Credits:
    My group also has very little interest in playing a Transformers game. We played one years ago that went well enough.

And yeah I was going to recommend Maptool as well. I'll also take any opportunity to advertise that as well.

6. Slain

Slain Decepticon

I'll try to get my hands on Genesis then. Too bad there ain't any good game shops around my vicinity :( 

7. Gammatron 64

Nice, Maptool is pretty cool, thanks guys!

8. Gen. Magnus

Gen. Magnus Meep

News Credits:
    Happy to be of service. Like I said before, you may need to couple it with Hamachi (unmanaged mode) to connect to your friends online.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2011
  9. Gen. Magnus

Gen. Magnus Meep

News Credits:
    Now that I have gone over Mehagenesis, I think I like Mechamorphosis a bit more due to the number of options it allows for. Genesis, while cleaner, is more restrictive.

10. Gammatron 64

I really think the Louis Hoefer TF RPG is the best. It's simple, but it has everything you would want in a TF game - cassettes, gestalts, headmasters, powermasters, targetmasters, and it's easy as hell to convert existing tech spec bios to character sheets. You just plug in their bios, and find which abilities and weapons they have. The guy even has full descriptions of obscure weaponry mentioned only in tech specs. I have never seen the phrase "Acid Pellet Gun" used outside Prowl's bio, but there it is, already in the game. Pretty much all their powers are in there, from Skywarp's teleportation, to Hound's holograms, to Cliffjumper's glass gas gun.

And because it's so quick and easy to make characters, my players started making multiple ones, and playing different characters in different games, in effect, having a "collection of toys", and picking a different character from their collection to play on a given day.

The game is definitely made with the G1 cartoon continuity in mind, but if a few modifications you could make it fit any of them. Like the G1 cartoon, it's designed so it's hard to kill anybody, but it has happened (one player thought it was a smart idea to try and ram Devastator... as a sports car. A sports car, vs. a guy weighing hundreds of tons made up of 6 heavy construction vehicles. It's like trying to ram a speeding train), and you can modify the rules slightly if you want a higher body count.

It's more of a game for fun, wacky cartoon misadventures than serious number-crunching RPGs that are meant to be super challenging, though. Many people take these games more seriously than I do, but I always say, "fun comes before the rules". The Autobots unwittingly robbed a gas station, Bumblebee hit on a cute pink VW bug, Wheeljack tried to dissect Shia LeBouf, and Tony Star- er I mean G.B. Blackrock played a sizable role as was drunk off his ass the entire time. We also used Classics \ Cybertron \ Energon figures as miniatures. Oh, and one player was a Junkion and talked entirely in Blues Brothers references. And another was Jesus the El Camino from planet Mexitron, complete with the Virgin Mary painted on his hood.

Some players might not feel as comfortable as it's not the standard d20 system, but it cuts out a lot of vestigial complexities that came from D&D that you don't need in a TF game. However I'm telling you the truth in that it was probably the most fun RPG I have ever run. The two guys I played it with weren't even big TF fans and they had a blast.

My only complaint is that the game isn't very well balanced, and since it's obscure, probably hasn't been play tested very well. One player decided to get a Fusion Cannon and totally broke the game. Word of advice: don't like players get Fusion cannons. Or roll a character that is Omega Supreme-sized.

11. SMOG

SMOG Vocab-champion ArgueTitan

Heh... in late elementary/early jr. high, I designed a homemade transforming robots RPG. I called it Robomax (yes, I know someone else made a similar game called RoboM.A.C.S... weird, huh?).

It was roughly a 10-point stats system, with modifications based on size and power levels, and stuff. I think I systematically ransacked every weapon type and special power in the whole TF Universe series, and added some more from the cartoons and other mecha anime for good measure. There was a space of a couple of years when my friends and I played the hell out of that game. Good times. :) 

Some of it worked really well, but there were some things I would jettison today, like the overly complex hit-points-per-appendage mechanic. Also some weapons really did break the game something fierce.

At one point, my grand, game-ending super-boss... a giant monster robot guy, had his big reveal... and was killed instantly by catching full salvo of missiles from a motorcycle-sized character's chest-compartment launchers, directly in the face!

zmog

12. jazzmasta32

jazzmasta32 Well-Known Member

I have a question: If I were to create a tabletop RPG for Transformers (I'm currently working a Beast Wars based one) and I wanted to share it with other people for free, would I get in trouble with copyright infringement for posting it on the internet? Would I have to get permission from Hasbro to distribute it online?

13. Gen. Magnus

Gen. Magnus Meep

News Credits:
    While I couldn't foresee a problem -there a many fan-made RPGs out there based on licenses- you could change the names to play it safe.

14. Human Beastbox

Human Beastbox The Murdinator

News Credits:
    That is exactly why I've never gotten into these kinds of games.

Not enough friends that are located near me to get a game going, not to mention my extreme loner tendencies.

15. SMOG

SMOG Vocab-champion ArgueTitan

TRANSMORPHERS... THE GAME!!! :lol 

zmog

16. Gen. Magnus

Gen. Magnus Meep

News Credits:
    Look at how Mechamorphosis/Mechagenesis did it: they incorporated a variety of TF concepts (including BW stuff in the PDF Player's Guide) but with different names. They had to change the names due to selling their product, however.

Most, if not all, fan products include a note stating that they are not endorsed by the IP holding company and are good to go because they are distributed for free. Just be sure not to include official art, text, or other artifacts. Names should be fine.

17. Rexidus

Rexidus Autobot

News Credits:
    So someone should run a game using Maptool. I've had a desire to play a Transformers game for quite some time and my group is completely uninterested.

18. Gammatron 64

As long as you're not selling it, you're good. It would be like Hasbro cracking down on fanfiction.

19. Gen. Magnus

Gen. Magnus Meep

News Credits:
    If we can get someone to run, I'd be happy to play. Map tool + skype (with or with out video though I prefer video) makes a fine combo for distance gaming.

20. pamolan

pamolan Member

The strength-based attacks, especially when you start to scale really start to play things. In most processors, the D20 is getting a bit redundant, but the damage modifier is much - too weak.Still is probably possible to a certain level, as long as a designer recalls that the processors are made materials, and their experience would go to these things with skill, not itself.Fanboys things must be very difficult to treat, but I think it remains a single volume generation for Transformers would be a good seller for d20. Indeed,

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.