Transformers D20

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Furious Rodimus, Jul 13, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    It can, with a little work. The entire system is based around rolling 1 20-sided dice, with the number required to roll being higher or lower depending on difficulty and skills or powers effectively adding to the number the dice yield. For example, a DC (difficulty check, the number required on the roll) of 10 would represent something that someone would be able to accomplish, say, half the time, even if they have no training or experience in the area. A DC of 35 would be something impossible for someone without a ton of experience, and even then would be extremely difficult and possible only under the best of scenarios. It's a pretty simple system, and relatively easy to customize.

In Mechamorphosis, I think they scale things (in terms of humans or smaller transformers) such that at each size scale you use the same system, but in a situation where two different size scales are relevant, a scaling factor is applied to the DCs and end results. So, for example, an attack that would do 4 damage to another Transformer would do 4 x 10 (scaling factor) = 40 damage to a mere human, more than enough to kill most fleshling targets. As I said earlier in the thread, it can get complicated.

Still, I think its important to remember that a good game is more dependent on story and player interaction and thought than on numerics, so developing a system that accounts for every conceivable option isn't at all necessary.

2. Cybermnky

Cybermnky Well-Known Member

I have Mechamorphosis and have always wanted to play a TF based game. Sadly - no one else I know has ever shown any interest...
    I'm gonna check out everything you have compiled though, just for curiosities sake now.

3. Coeloptera

Coeloptera Big, bad beetle-bot

That system sounds suspiciously like Spelljammer, when they did ship-to-ship combat.

But for me, I think it is important to allow for humans and Transformers' physical distinctions to be mapped out. For example, while skill levels would be equivalent, physical stats would be wildly different.

I may try getting this (the books can be had cheaply) but I'd want help statting out all the NPCs and, of course, they'd be up for use by anyone else.

- Coeloptera

4. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    Oh, I probably should have gone into that, I was just trying to give a basic overview of the system.

Each character in d20 has statistics, which are natural aptitudes in certain areas (Strength, Dexterity, Constitution, Charisma, Intelligence and Wisdom), which apply natural modifiers to actions, abilities and skills. Skills are represented as areas where the character has been trained in, again increasing a roll (or check) against a pertinent action (for example, a strong character attempting to swim when he has a lot of training in doing so would add a significant number to the number they roll, as would an intelligent character trying to, say, interpret an enemy communique if they were trained in the skill knowledge (communications). Each character also gets something called feats every couple of levels, which grant extra abilities or proficiencies (say, learning to use a new type of weapon, or learning to disarm an opponent or becoming an exceptionally good liar).

So physical statistics and skillsets will vary heavily from one character to another, but a human character could still have some of the same skills as an Autobot or a Decepticon. At the Game Master's discretion, there could be additional modifiers for size/race, say for humans taking checks regarding cybertronian technology, however, or cybertronians trying to swim. Again, you'd probably apply those scaling modifiers to the physical stats, or maybe make more specific skills for cybertronians and humans that wouldn't necessarily overlap.

5. Slain

Slain Decepticon

They basically gave Transformers their own race (mechamorph) and certain traits and abilities. In comparison to the rest of the D20 races, and a basic human fighter, they have a +3 ECL if I recall correctly. If you want to use them with normal humans, you'd end up adding 10 points to all the TF stats, or substracting 10 points from all the human stats, depending on who is the dominant species here.

If you wanna build TF NPC's, I'd be willing to help you. I'm kinda learned in the whole Mechamorphosis system by now, so I could whip up anything :) 

I'm still in the middle of moving to the other side of the country, so it might be a while to dig up all my stuff :( 

6. Coeloptera

No hurry. I find I can get a few copies, cheap. I've shot the idea at my regular group and so far, 2 of 3 like it.

- Coeloptera

7. Coeloptera

Well, I bit the bullet and bought 3 copies, cheap, one for each household of my gaming group.

Not bad so far (just got them in the mail). I can already see how I may need to adapt a bit more than the PHB to get what I want.

So Slain, if you're willing to share what you have so far, I'll help stat out more NPCs (a list of several dozen total would be great by the end of the process). It'll help me learn the system.

Is there any errata? And what system changes did you make?

- Coeloptera

8. Slain

Slain Decepticon

Hey!

Cool to hear you got 'em!

Just click the link beneath my post and check the Houserules in the campaign. Those are all the changes made.

If you think DR and bonus HP are too high, remember that the weapon damage in the book is for medium creatures... when working with Gargantuan bots, you need to adjust the damage accordingly. The lvl 6 tank in my group already has an average of 8d8 damage / combat round...

I'm off to my new home in about 10 minutes (after downloading EP 5 of Prime), and I won't have i'net access for a while. It'll take a few weeks to set everything up, but I'll be back to you as soon as I'm able!

9. Slain

Slain Decepticon

10. Gammatron 64

Gammatron 64 Well-Known Member

Look at this:
    http://www.themoreiknow.info/lhoefer/TFinPDF.zip

I played a few games with this. Really simple, and has pretty much all the Transformers specific rule you want - Headmasters, Powermasters, etc. You can even take tech specs from the toys for character stats! I'd say this really is the best Transformers game. Easy to play, and very complete.

11. Slain

Slain Decepticon

I just DLed it, but I gotta go to bed (work in 6 hours), so I'll read up on it somewhere during the weekend.

Thanks for sharing!

12. Overhaulimus

Overhaulimus Sword of Fury!

News Credits:
    Thanks for posting that Gammatron 64, just downloaded it and am about to read over it.

My group has been on the look out for a good TF D20 system for a while, we started working on our own, but we've been working on in it since 2006 and no clue as to when it would be finished. So this helps in the meantime.

13. graymer

graymer Well-Known Member

@Gammatron: Thanks a bunch! This looks great.

14. Rexidus

Rexidus Autobot

News Credits:
    Didn't read the whole thread but Mechagenesis under the True20 rule set is made explicitly for Transformers. I take any opportunity to spread the word about it.

15. Slain

Slain Decepticon

Mechagenesis is about 8 years old... and it seems Mechamorphosis is an updated version of the same thing. I prefer using the latter.

Same as with the RPG posted by Gammatron. It has a lot of nice background information, and very well done NPC's and locations, and I'm sure it'll play well. I'll be sticking to Mechamorphosis because the D20 system is well known to all players, and the houserules make up for the holes in the system.

16. Rexidus

Rexidus Autobot

News Credits:
    Actually the opposite. Mechagenesis is an update to Mechamorphosis. Mechamorphosis was a good system and Genesis is just an improvement to it.

17. Ramrider

Ramrider TF Art Lad

I've actually got a set of generic tabletop rules (as in tabletop miniatures game, rather than RPG) that I've been slowly working on (though I've barely touched on 'em for the best part of a year), which I want to be adaptable for any genre of game, and any scale of figure. One of the main purposes was to play a game with Micromasters as the playing pieces.

The base rules seem to be working okay, for as much as they make sense, and the few people I've got to test them have said they play pretty well. Though I'm yet to figure out how costing for your team works, and the stats I had worked out for the Micromasters need to be rewritten.

I started work on some rules for a TF RPG as well, based on the No Dice system, but that's backburned somewhat; aside from otherwise busyness, I suck at GMing at the mo anyway, so I need to brush up my skillz before I can really run a game of my own design.

18. Furious Rodimus

Furious Rodimus Matrix Bearer

Gammatron, that was an excellent system. Thanks for sharing!

19. Slain

Slain Decepticon

But Mechagensis is from 2002, and Mechamorphosis from 2004?

20. jazzmasta32

jazzmasta32 Well-Known Member

I'm creating one right now with my group. We had started a while back but something happened to my computer and I lost all of the files; so we're starting over.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.