'Transformers' Comic to Explore Cybertron Before the War

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by AzT, Dec 18, 2018.

1. Soundwave superior 21

Soundwave superior 21 Master Spy

YouTube:
    IMG-1697886890.jpg

• Like Like x 9
  2. Mattymo

Mattymo Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Why do you think?

Some are toy designs and and some are just pre earth designs for the comic. They’re just using siege designs for the comic as cross promotion. Characters that aren’t getting toys are just getting redesigns with Cybertronian bodies.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Dinobot Snarl

Dinobot Snarl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    That BB is consistent with the other cover, perhaps this is Siege BB

DwVGJTJUUAcFd8b.jpg

• Like Like x 5
  4. Rob

Rob IDW FOREVER

News Credits:
    I think you are right, or if not siege at the very least part of the WFC trilogy. Remember the entire trilogy is already planned IDW is going to know the designs ahead of time.

5. NanakoPreame

NanakoPreame Insert something witty

Twitter:
    I mean, Pre earth cybertronians have the same robot modes regardless of Altmode catroon wise, we haven't seen BB's altmode yet.

6. Dinobot Snarl

News Credits:
    Yellow blocky shoulders
    Betting hollow inner legs
    Thigh swivel

DwVGJTJUUAcFd8b.jpg DwBeyYtUUAEb5Uj.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  7. artiepants

artiepants Misses readable TF comics

News Credits:
    But he doesn’t look Cybertronian at all was my point, it’s literally just G1 BB. And he’s not even differing from the greebles! :p 

8. artiepants

artiepants Misses readable TF comics

News Credits:
    Ok, I see now he’s got some specific stuff going on that isn’t strictly G1 (more so noticeable in the cover with Poochie-Blade)... his feet are quite a bit different and he’s got those intake vents on the sides of his torso...

He still seems a bit TOO G1 looking compared with the other designs, which makes me think he’s not based on a toy, but he has some awfully specific toy-like details... I thought we’d seen names for all of the Seige deluxes? Maybe he’s WFC:p T2 release (as noted above)

9. Rockdown

Rockdown Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    It looks like the same old, same old. This is the first TF comic series that I won't jump on from the beginning.

10. Darth Gonzo

Darth Gonzo Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I hope IDW makes a pre-Earth Beast Wars comic series, and instead of Cybertronian vehicle modes I would like to see them turn into alien creatures of some kind.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Dinobot Snarl

News Credits:
    Note how at least 2 of these are getting toys....the third one is Hasbro's favorite.

12. gregles

gregles quintesson

It seems like this new idw like the old idw is going to casually switch between different designs aesthetics which I’m personally a little disappointed in. I know these are only front covers so they might not be fully representative of the actual comics and it isn’t necessarily a bad thing as this approach served original idw pretty well over the years but as they have gone to the trouble of creating a new continuity I was hoping for something a bit different with a consistent and distinct aesthetic from the last idw continuity. It will probably be alright but it seems like more of the same.

• Like Like x 2
  13. NanakoPreame

NanakoPreame Insert something witty

Twitter:
    Eh, not really, at the very least, they'll like actual transformers. That, and the whole Utopian center of the galaxy is a welcomed take after a decade of "Robo Dystiopia" that IDW has mined the hell out of.

14. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    I had the same issue with IDW's art as well.
    On the one hand I liked the freedom they gave their artists.
    But on the other hand the aesthetic was so varied that sometimes I didn't feel like I was looking at the same character from one issue to the next.
    The narrative certainly made it clear who I was looking at, the art (for the most part) certainly made it clear who I was looking at, but the aesthetic was so far removed from what I had just read that it felt like something completely different.

And it wasn't just the aesthetic, it was the models used. Sometimes characters would have Cybertronian modes one issue, then Earth modes the next.

15. Digger

Digger Spreading peace, love and reasonable explanations

Twitter:
    Okay so the bumblebee one is nice. Really unique with beautiful colouring and shading.

That big cover with prime and the others though? Christ that’s ugly. All these clenched and static poses. And those god awful colours with all the swirls.

16. Ramberk Magnus

Ramberk Magnus Well-Known Member

I'm hoping that maybe it's just a matter of the cover artists being given more freedom but yeah, I wish the interior art has the artists stay "on model" with the character designs too. I totally get that every artist has their own style but DC or Marvel wouldn't let their artists to change/modify the appearance of their marquee characters without an in-story explanation. Hasbro and IDW should follow that.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Jazz of Staniz

Jazz of Staniz Currently in one piece

I have mixed feelings here. Obviously I love IDW and I'm sure it'll do well, but one thing I loved so much about the previous IDW continuity is that the characters, while still recognizable, had their own new designs that fit a little better than just G1. Obviously these aren't straight G1, but they have a lot more G1 influence than IDW was at the end of the last continuity. Besides Optimus with his Galaxy Force-style chest, all of the characters seem to be extremely G1 in robot mode. Not a big deal, but I like noticeable variation in character designs. I understand that it has to fit the Siege toyline, but I'm just kinda sick of the same exact looks over and over again. Buckethead Megatron that's a little too white than silver has always been the most tiresome (I would have liked the TFP or TFA look frankly), and I want Jazz to look a little sleeker and his colors pop more... a G2 style color scheme would be nice. Also they seem more... puffy, almost Dreamwave puffy... and kinda fat too. Oh well, as long as it's written well.

And don't get me started on Windblade. She's become just as overly present and forced as Bumblebee. Jazz always seems to be shafted, dying in TF1, being minor/nonexistent in television since G1, being minor in IDW.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2019
  18. batfan007

batfan007 Double Dragon Dying Mode

News Credits:
    I think when people say "i dont want politics" often they mean hey writer's dont be lazy and just plaster whatever is going on right now in the world into your story. We see that in media every day. Boring!
    And stay away from the previous decade or two, its too soon.

There are several thousand years of human history to pilfer from, a lot of it untouched in modern fiction.
    So dig deep and dont give us "roman empire" as we just had that in TF comics etc etc.

• Like Like x 1
  19. batfan007

News Credits:
    I like the communication tower theory better than lamp post.
    I mean why would a planet that is lit up like an xmas tree need that many lamp posts?
    Radio tower however, lots of them would be needed in addition to larger ones to get a good signal on a metal planet perhaps?

• Like Like x 2
  20. batfan007

News Credits:
    I love people yell xmen is about diversity or minority this or that.
    It became a lot of things to a lot of people (eventually, and to the credit of later writers who ran with it).
    But it started out that it the was cold war. Brotherhood of evil mutants were analogues for cold war era Russians and Communism.
    It amazes me when some fans dont know this when the creator/writer of the first stories mentioned it in numerous interviews.
    Majority of 60s marvel is infused with cold war era, the bomb, science and space travel as it was relevant.

.....But lets keep politics out of stories foreverz dude!!!! Because my fan-brain will melt if I have to think about stuff other than robots talking out loud in the cold vacuum of space. :eek: :eek: :eek: 

Last edited: Jan 7, 2019
    • Like Like x 1