'Transformers' Comic to Explore Cybertron Before the War

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by AzT, Dec 18, 2018.

1. General Tekno

General Tekno Lugnut Supremor & Arkivist

News Credits:
    To add a further HMMMM, I just got reminded that Hound's boxart has the Cybertron Defense Hot Shot head.

Curious now if the last wave of Siege deluxes will have some Galaxy Force homages in it.

As for what to call the continuity, I'd argue for calling IDW 1.0 "Shockpoint."

• Like Like x 8
  2. BombSquad

BombSquad Commander Broadside Proponent

News Credits:
    I'm conflicted on the reboot being so tied to the toyline. It might mean we get more toys featuring comic characters/designs, but it's far more likely that the creative team will be limited in character/story options by what Hasbro has planned (Even moreso than the last team was).

• Like Like x 7
  3. yvk2000

yvk2000 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    And Look at all those deception voyagers flying in the background in all their altmode glory.

Unrelated to the comic, but I am very happy now that I had decided to skip the voyager Prime.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Purple Heart

Purple Heart Some other time..

News Credits:
    We already know of all the mass retail Siege deluxes, unfortunetly. Though I could see him being a retail exclusive or possibly a Select Series entry.

• Like Like x 2
  5. TriBlurr

TriBlurr Who am I?

News Credits:
    IDW G2?

Neo IDW?

Siegeverse?

IDW2: Electric Pineapples?

IDW: Here we go again?

• Like Like x 7
  6. Drake915

Drake915 Autobot Scout

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'll give it a shot. Was hopeful that we would get something good after the dumpster fire which the previous runs turned into.

• Like Like x 1
  7. MaximusPrime2002

MaximusPrime2002 Well-Known Member

Hopefully this'll go a similar way IDW did before. One comic series that has to slavishly follow the toyline in order to appease Hasbro, and a second one that gets to do its own thing.

As for the idea of some of the late wave Siege figures being designed after Cybertron/Galaxy Force, I love the idea! Though I find it a little unlikely.

8. BattleUpSaber

BattleUpSaber Result.

News Credits:
    Premise sounds promising, if plain.

If it's anywhere near as good as the previous IDW run, I'll be happy.

• Like Like x 12
  9. Deadend

Deadend Spark of Creation

News Credits:
    "Nu" tends to be the go to until an era defining name is found. "Nu" = New Universe.

But we've got a lot of options from the lore to use. xD
    IDW the 2nd stands out personally, but yours is funny too. And then there's the IIDW for using roman numerals, or IDW2.

• Like Like x 3
  10. MaximusPrime2002

MaximusPrime2002 Well-Known Member

IDW: The second one

• Like Like x 1
  11. TargetmasterJoe

TargetmasterJoe Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Tumblr:
    It just hit me that Optimus’ chest DOES look like the windshield from his Galaxy Force self.

• Like Like x 4
  12. THE-TRANSFORMER

THE-TRANSFORMER Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Seems I'm in the minority here but I hate that artwork (mainly the megs/Prime cover).

A direct translation of toys has never looked good in art form. The artist should be able to put their own spin on it. It also scares me that they might only be able to draw Transformers by copying a visual reference.

That said, if all these designs are siege, that better mean that we get Flywheels as a main character this time around since there aren't many siege Decepticons at the moment.

I am however grateful that there doesn't appear to be any Hasbroverse shenanigans going on as yet.

I'll be buying.

• Like Like x 6
  13. Scoff

Scoff Well-Known Member

"The new series, titled simply Transformers, will see writer Brian Ruckley and artists Angel Hernandez and Ron Joseph tell the story of Cybertron before the war, and of the mysterious death that ended an age of peace on the planet."

Oh my god, I was really hoping we'd see a story set on pre-war Cybertron. I didn't think we'd get it!

I just hope it isn't just about the lead-up to the war but actually has some other stories as well that has nothing to do with it. Just stories about what people did before the war.

"Bumblebee, soon to star in his own movie, will be one of the protagonists of the new title, which will publish twice a month."

I guess this isn't surprising: it wouldn't be the first time the live action films have influenced unrelated Transformers media. If I remember right, the Bay movies were responsible for Bumblebee being included into the Animated cast instead of another character.

Then again, who the heck am I to complain? Whenever something new for Transformers is on the horizon, I'm always hoping it'll feature Grimlock (and the Dinobots) to some significant extent.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2018
    • Like Like x 5
  14. Windsweeper II

Windsweeper II Banned

News Credits:
    I'm in
    here counting how much 3p toys I'm going to be able to buy with the money saved from not buying IDW comics in future.
    Geewun IDW? No thanks. More Bee, Megs and Prime is the last thing this franchise needs.
    I can foresee this thread being loaded with comments from geewunners saying how great this seems just because their favorite guys are gonna be smeared on every page.
    And I am not interested in yet another round of boring Kaon pit fighting and cringy "brother, you betrayed us" nonsense.
    As I feared, the days of glorious creativity that came with MTMTE are thoroughly over.

• Like Like x 7
  15. Pwsyn

Pwsyn Well-Known Member

Story sounds interesting, art looks really beautiful...and then twice the month ?! I must say, everything looks/sounds very promising.

• Like Like x 3
  16. MrSoundmeister

MrSoundmeister Bang,Bang Boom!

That's kinda awesome, especially if they will also add "Hot Shot" in the later parts of the comic, i would love to see some more Unicron Trilogy elements in this IDW Reboot.

• Like Like x 5
  17. Deadend

Deadend Spark of Creation

News Credits:
    Truck cab does seem like it, but the bot mode definitely strays a lot from it. Which isn't surprising. GF Convoy was a mix of Fire Convoy and Armada's cybertronian mode prime. Though does seem to have a lot of PMOP implications from the torso design compared to the Hasbro version. So might be best to wait and see. Might be a mix of versions.

Like Ultra Magnus, the vehicle mode may look one way, while the bot mode/upgrade mode is more classic influenced.

That seems very possible with the whole "merging all the lore" aspects much of the media has been doing anyway. And this does say it starts "before the war".

• Like Like x 1
  18. General Tekno

General Tekno Lugnut Supremor & Arkivist

News Credits:
    I think what'll REALLY be telling with the artists is how Bumblebee looks.

Curious if that'll be an original design or a Hasbro design they're playing close to the chest.

19. Venomus Rodimus

Venomus Rodimus Well-Known Member

It\'s Ultra Magnus without the armor guys.  This is a tease at the Leader Optimus Prime figure being a straight up redeco with a new trailer to make, Powermaster Optimus Prime.

• Like Like x 2
  20. SoundwaveSuperior

SoundwaveSuperior "The Scourge of the Sky" (She/They)

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Custom URL):
    Tumblr:
    Parts of it are the same as the Magnus inner robot, but the chest is definitely retooled, and looks a lot more like Cybertron/Galaxy Force Optimus.

• Like Like x 6