Transformers: Combiner Wars Animated Series Sneak Peek To Debut At NYCC 2015

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by SilverOptimus, Sep 7, 2015.

1. SilverOptimus

SilverOptimus Movie News Monster Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
  2. SilverOptimus

News Credits:
    "As the Combiner Wars wage on, the highly anticipated reveal of the next chapter in the GENERATIONS story universe will be huge."

I wonder if they mean Titan Wars.

3. soundwaverulls

soundwaverulls Taking a break

At first I thought it was saying IDW and Activiaion would be involved with the cartoon.

I am very curious about this CW cartoon but not optimistic. I'm really not interested in a cartoon based around G1 TF. Hopefully this won't be something meant to make up for RID15's lack of plot or character progression.

4. Autoboty

Autoboty Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Please, please have the awesome CG the commercials used. Or at least attempt to.

5. SilverOptimus

News Credits:
    It is confirmed for the Teens & Adults. Not sure how it will look though. We are just a month away from finding out.

6. jbot

jbot Disciple of A3

News Credits:
    Although I love the playful spirit of RiD, that show simply isn't for me. Can't wait to see another show aimed at older audiences!

7. MartyFeeb

MartyFeeb Wait... it's a bug?!

News Credits:
    Can't wait to see it - I feel like it's going to be gritty and serious, for a change (but I'm not exactly holding my breath). Hasbro typically treats TFs as baby toys, so it's hard to believe there will be blood or death or anything realistic between two highly intelligent, anthropomorphic, mechanized robots waging war.

Pew pew pew!

Whew... no one got seriously injured! That's right, kids! Shooting each other is fun and stylish! And absolutely risk/injury free! :D  (Isn't that called violence desensitization?)

Not saying to make the series super dark and "war is hell", but certainly veering in that direction is not out of the question for a series primarily about... waging war? :rolleyes2  The comics seem to have more intelligent stories, and it'd be nice to see an animated TF series approach the sophistication seen there. Prime was going in a good direction, in that sense, but look at how it gets labeled as "too dark"! :lol  So the pendulum swings back to RID.

Off topic for a moment:
    The bottom names - it's like a list of incompetent execs, cause someone there has to be responsible for the terrible toy choices (99% BB and Optimus) and poor retail distribution.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 8, 2015
  8. Gryph

Gryph Action Master

News Credits:
    Being Machinema, it's pretty much guaranteed to be CG. Though I do expect the models to be slightly less toy-like.

9. Lazerwave

Lazerwave My Most Prized Treasure

News Credits:
    Will there be anything good at the NYCC?

10. Slingshot

Slingshot Farewell

News Credits:
    If CW has the story and voice work that Beast Machines did, I'll watch it.
    If it's G1 remade with mediocre VAs, then no.
    If CW does suck, then I have RID, so I'll be fine.

11. kaijuguy19

kaijuguy19 Keyblade Wielder

News Credits:
    Except the toyline and franchise was made for the purpose of selling awesome robot toys to kids in the first place so even when at times Hasbro decides to do stuff for the older fans like the IDW comics and series like Beast Machines and Prime Hasbro still tries to get kids into the brand which is what they've always been doing since the start and that doesn't really make them baby toys. It would be very foolish to ignore this one fact.

There's a difference about being dark and gritty, and being mature. Just because something's aimed more for kids doesn't mean they're going to be about "Super happy fun time where nothing bad or deep ever happens!". You don't really have to be always dark and gritty in order to tell stories that have mature and deep content in them. Series like Teen Titans 2003,Steven Universe and Animated helped proved that. I'm all for a series that's dark but having dark and gritty elements in it will mean nothing if you don't have enough substance to make the tone have meaning otherwise it's going to make the series be pretentious and contrived and that's often considered to be another form of immature writing.

12. GWolfv2

GWolfv2 Deathsaurus - A name you can trust for peace

News Credits:
    2d animation please. For the love that is all that is holy 2d animation. This is going to have a limited budget and 2D can look a lot better than 3d on a lot less money. RWBY for instance, great FIGHT animation. The actual physical everyday movement animation is...showing it's monetary backing.

That and personal preference is always 2d animation imo. People never don't look like caricatures in 3D CGI cartoons. I blame Pixar

13. Cal

Cal Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    You know, this effectively marks the return of the original G1 characters to a TV show. My body is ready...

14. QLRformer

QLRformer Seeker

News Credits:
    This sounds interesting. Here's hoping what we see will be awesome.

15. Darkryt

Darkryt Combiner Enthusiast

Oh! Oh! Maybe there'll be time to give Alpha Bravo, Offroad and Rook some screen-time and character development!

Especially Rook!

16. kaijuguy19

kaijuguy19 Keyblade Wielder

News Credits:
    And yet 2D animation doesn't have it's share of characters that look like caricatures? Most 2D shows are famous for having that sort of thing in fact one of the major features of cartoons in the first place was that it can do caricatures to a huge level. This isn't soley a CGI thing it's been there since the beginning of animation. Also not every use of 2D animation always came out amazing and stellar.

17. SilverOptimus

News Credits:
    Erm, Sarah Carroll is the lady who is in-charge of Victorian; the first female combiner.

In fact the execs on this list are the main reason we have Combiner Wars in the first place. They run the show for the Adult toy collectors.

Well, Machinima doesn't always stick to 3D animation. Check out Justice League: Gods and Monsters. :) 

18. GWolfv2

GWolfv2 Deathsaurus - A name you can trust for peace

News Credits:
    course not. That would just be a silly denial. It's just not a pre-requiste. You are simply FAR more likely in an action oriented show to get a human whose proportions are realisitic than in 3d shows. Our own recent TF shows are an excellent example of the bias that exists in the medium. Even action shows with exaggerated proportions tend to be better scaled in 2d than 3d.

And again I just think 2d animation comes out looking a lot better in general and especially so when you have to consider limited budgetary constraints. Unless Hasbro pumps some decent dosh into this (which given the limited nature of the series and the target audience is less likely than I'd like) a cg affair will likely look quite ropey. 2D action shows tends to survive budget cuts better, at least in terms of visuals. Resolute's a solid example. Vixen while clearly not massively budgeted for its pilot (and it really shows in comparison to most of the full length shows) has a respectable standard. You can do more for less with 2D animation. You don't have that freedom in 3D unless you've got a solid bit of finance behind it. And this is sounding a lot more like a few 5 minute shorts/cut up "pilot" episode. Not to mention the limited budget Machina runs on for animation (again, great fights. Watching anyone run is just...amazing).

I'm a huge fan of a lot of solid CGI action shows. But the nature of the medium is the fact it remains the more limiting method (look at Prime and it's heavily populated...deserts). As I'm a cynic when it comes to business, I'm expecting a "less is more" approach. Which would show less in 2D than in 3D

s'all in the context of general trends but...yup.

19. Florgeysteve

Florgeysteve Well-Known Member

I wonder what kind of animation style they will go for. Should be interesting to see regardless.

20. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP AKA Beve Stuscemi

News Credits:
    Saw Animated, shit my pants, read the title properly, am still excited but sad that I soiled myself.

I hope it's good.