Transformers color and disguise

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by General Magnus, Sep 15, 2011.

1. General Magnus

General Magnus Da Custodes of the Emprah

You, I always wondered, why did the TFs didn´t change their colors to fit in with the world more? I mean last time I cheeked F-15s aren´t blue or black and those things kinda ruin the disguise a bit. You figured a race that can master transformation could master change the simple colors of it´s alt modes.

2. meirelle

meirelle Sea of Shelfwarmers

The real reason: to sell toys.

My personal fanon reason: there's something in a Transformer's CNA that determines what color they are. A TF's colors seem to be more than just a paint job to me. I guess a lot of this idea comes from how in a lot of continuities, transformers grey out whenever they die. If it was just a paint job, then why would they go grey? Anyhow, none of this is in any way canon; It's just how I explain it in my head. ;) 

3. rxlthunder

rxlthunder Banned

News Credits:
    When you think about it, in G1 nobody was ever actually in "disguise."

4. Bountyan

Bountyan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    What are you talking about man! I see a music player and a cassette recorder perfectly in disguise inside a van!

[​IMG]

5. rxlthunder

rxlthunder Banned

News Credits:
    I mean, everyone did know about them as if they were superheroes as opposed to Cybertron for example where they are actually in disguise

6. prime roller

prime roller 昔者莊周夢為胡蝶⋯

News Credits:
    I wonder if the whole "robots in disguise" thing is even important in the original concept of the fiction -- or was it made a thing only after the fact of the G1 theme song?

Also, I think Meirelle is onto something with his/her line of thought on Transformer's colours. Seems to be more than just a paint job. Makes me remember how Wasp used some sort of tech to change his colour in Animated, but I'm not sure if that contributes to the importance of a bot being his set colour, or if it takes away from the concept.

7. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    It's a nice idea which I could get behind. Unless you add in G2 and how many TF changed their colours completely. Maybe there was a Neon Disease outbreak that messed with their CNA. :) 

8. meirelle

meirelle Sea of Shelfwarmers

It starts like any other epidemic... with one person... and then it spreads until it consumes everything. Who was the original carrier? I'm guessing Skyquake.

And then it spread to the SG universe, too, because Thundercracker totally has it.

Actually, I feel bad for G2 Breakdown. He just wants to go about his business and not be noticed. Kind of hard to do with colors like that.

9. grunge

grunge The TANK

News Credits:
    i suspose they could change color if they did so chose, i mean i wouldnt think it would be totally out of question if say Optimus wanted to be White and UM wanted to be red. however i think since they at 1 point were a mass production line maybe having a signature color scheme or something that avail helps them feel more personalised or unique.

10. TrueNomadSkies

TrueNomadSkies Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Well, Cheetor & Tigatron were in Disguise for a few minutes in the Beast Wars...

11. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    Two words: Dazzle Camouflague.

Dazzle camouflage - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

12. General Magnus

General Magnus Da Custodes of the Emprah

I afraid you are not understanding. What I mean is won´t seeing a blue F-15 kinda ruin the disguise? Just say to any NATO plane to be on the lookout for a blue fighter that can transform.

13. Aernaroth

News Credits:
    "okay guys, if you see a plane that turns into a giant evil robot and kills you, THATS the one we want you to shoot at."

"Sir, do we have to wait for it to kill us? That seems a little to-"

"DISMISSED!"

I mean, let's face it, very rarely were any of the Decepticons other than Soundwave even attempting to hide. At least the Autobots made a token effort.

14. Scantron

Scantron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Sure, a blue F-15, using Thundercracker as an example, would stand out a bit. However, the human military using that as a method of detecting the Decepticons in the air would be fairly difficult, I would think. Assuming there's not specific intelligence putting the Decepticons in a general location, a human pilot just flying around would first need to just happen upon Thundercracker by chance. Then, they'd have to get within visual range to notice that the mystery jet they've come across has an unusual colour scheme. By the time they get close enough for that visual check, Thundercracker has almost certainly long since noticed them and either taken off or blown the human jet out of the sky. A ground- or satellite-based observation post would work better for checking the colour scheme of any unidentified jets, but then the human military would either have to deploy a ground-based anti-air system or scramble fighters, which takes time. It's more likely that the world's militaries would simply assume any unidentified and/or unresponsive jet is a Decepticon and blow it out of the sky right away, rather than spending time checking the colour scheme.

A better example might be the Constructicons. Green and purple are, AFAIK, not colours used for real-world construction vehicles, so the Constructicons should be very easy to spot. The military could just give a heads-up to the major construction companies to keep an eye out for such unusually-coloured vehicles and maybe provide a hotline to contact the Autobots in case of a sighting.

15. rxlthunder

rxlthunder Banned

News Credits:
    No, I mean't that in the G1 cartoon Decepticons were so commonplace that nobody was afraid of them. They never really had to be in disguise, everyone knew who they were and they never had to be in disguise.

16. NathanS

NathanS Well-Known Member

It was the tagline, before the song came out, and in the comics hiding from humans was played up.

17. Aernaroth

News Credits:
    In basically everywhere but North America (and even in some places like Quebec) that shade of green is a perfectly common color for construction vehicles. Purple wouldn't be unheard of either.

18. G1Prowl

G1Prowl Prick, apparently

News Credits:
    My soul dies a little every time I see that term used.

19. OptimusTimelord

OptimusTimelord Masterpiece Reanimator

Twitter:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Also in the toon they had Deception faction symbols all over them... kind of a giveaway! At least the G1 comics showed Transformers had an ability to hide their faction designations.

Getting back to basics, as far as I understand it the original reason for 'disguise' was the Ark/Teletraan 1 mistaking our Earth machines and mechanical devices for the dominant lifeform on the planet. So the bots and cons were redesigned to 'fit in' to the local environment without arousing suspicion. It wasn't a conscious attempt to be deceptive.

Like the old clichè of non-humanoid aliens wearing fake human bodies so they can blend in without freaking people out.