Transformers Collector's Club Mystery Figure Revealed???

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by Collectibot, Jul 18, 2016.

1. G1Prowl

G1Prowl Prick, apparently

News Credits:
    Yeah, between the Classics Nerf Megatron and that adorable Legion class one, you'd figure at least one would have been done in black and brown.

2. Nevermore

Nevermore It's self-perpetuating a parahumanoidarianised!

News Credits:
    A few years ago I could have gotten that one for you locally for relatively cheap...

3. G1Prowl

News Credits:
    Yeah, I think I was deployed when that line got the tail end treatment. Alas, not to be...

4. Nevermore

Nevermore It's self-perpetuating a parahumanoidarianised!

News Credits:
    I remember I supplied quite a few guys in the US with them and the Tigatron/Inferno set.

Same thing I later did with Reveal the Shield Windcharger, and then later with Beast Hunters Cyberverse Legion Rippersnapper and Combiner Wars Legends Viper.

5. G.B. Blackrock

G.B. Blackrock Autobot Ally

News Credits:
    One aspect that I don't think gets stated frequently enough in these discussions is the ever-changing numbers produced for each set.

BotCon 2007 is generally considered one of the most successful sets of all time (if admittedly controversial for other reasons). They only made 1500 sets of that, total (the number is a bit up for debate, but 1500 is the high-end estimate).

BotCon 2015 had 1500 box sets alone, plus an additional 500 loose sets.

"Success" is generally determined by "did it sell out or not?" But it should be intuitively obvious to even the most casual observer that it takes less time to sell through 1500 sets than it does to sell 2000 sets.

And that's not even getting into the fact that the sets cost more in 2015 than in 2007! (Although if we go there, I'd also have to consider that the multiplier of the 2007 set vs. the retail value of toys using those molds was quite a bit higher than the multiplier in 2015)

In 2007, Fun Pub estimated too low, and they could certainly have sold more than 1500 sets. In 2015, they estimated too high. Certainly the popularity of the figures, themselves, had to be a factor, but assuming they sold more than 1500 of the BotCon 2015 set (I can't say for certain that they did, but feel fairly confident nonetheless), there's more to the story than is often discussed.

(Please understand, I'm not trying to say that the 2015 set was as good as the 2007 set. Just the fact that we're generally not considering the increased production runs as frequently as we ought to.)

6. Primal Sabbath

Primal Sabbath Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    Honestly, the box set was the best part of the exclusives from 2015. The G2 two-pack was awesome, too.
    Waruders were cool; but I'm a BW fan.
    They tried Diaclone/pre-TF/whatever and it didn't work; Though I'm not all that shocked about that.
    I think a lot of the issue with the box sets is that a lot of folks were splitting them. There was something there for everyone (except Animated; though I'd argue the shared aesthetic Prime had with Animated & the movies that Megatron was a catch-all of UT, Ani, & Movieverse)

Anyways; It's cool seeing they could send us out with one last Diaclone homage -- and one with great paint apps at that. Because I really don't see Diaclone/pre-TF doing super well as a stand-alone thing.

7. Raiyuki

Raiyuki Low Class Seeker

Which set is better is a much more subjective debate and I feel fair arguements could be made both ways there.
    But you do bring up an interesting point. I had always assumed the 1500 number had not changed since it started. I beleive they started doing the add on loose set not too long ago? 2013 had it for sure.
    I mean the 2006 bagged sets were limited to 500 each and all sold (with shady things happening with the Megatron set.) There are moments where it seems like it'd be obvious something would sell better or worse but it's also kind of hard to say at times. I do feel like both 2006 Megatron/Waspinator and 2016 Megatron would've easily sold at 1500 but in practice it IS hard to say if that's immediately true. I assume the five figure box set carries the most risk since that's the big incentive for going Primus (or was....)
    Takara certainly doesn't seem to think it'll go far. The only time I can remember them getting close to touching Diaclone outside of MP is when they put police type Sunstreaker as an option for a million publishing exclusive. Copstreaker got 3.8% of the vote for sixth place.

8. G.B. Blackrock

News Credits:
    Numbers have fluctuated almost every year, and add-on loose sets (also called bagged sets, but not to be confused with the at-convention souvenirs you call "bagged sets" below the part quoted above) have always been available throughout FunPub's tenure doing BotCon. For full details, you can check out my data pages. Look under the column titled "Number of exclusives produced."

9. Scaleface

Scaleface Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I know I went in on the TFSS5 based solely on existence of the 2 Pretenders.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2016
  10. GizmoTron

GizmoTron Roobaticon Commander

Ebay:
    Well I can guess why Hasbro and FunPub stayed away from doing that, but the only thing I can guess as to why Takara or eHobby didn't go for that homage was maybe just a perceived lack of interest.

11. G1Prowl

News Credits:
    Yet they reissued G1 Megatron in black and brown.

12. G.B. Blackrock

News Credits:
    Having already established that Takara isn't hung up on the "realistic gun" thing that Hasbro is, I would assume that ANY recolor of G1 Megatron would be perceived as having a greater interest (especially in Japan) than the same recolor of Classics Megs.

13. Lumpy

Lumpy Taylor Swift Action Master Super Mod

News Credits:
    So, it seems like this idea is a bit more popular than not, so I wonder how much he'll go for on the aftermarket. Any guesses?

14. Thundershot

Thundershot Ratchet Fanatic

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Honestly I'm happy because I'm being a CW character completist, so even if we eventually get a cartoon colored Streak, this one is a new character so it's not a wasted spot (IMO, as I'm not buying the G2 ones for that reason).

15. ma70er

ma70er HasTak/3P TF Collector, Gamer

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    Reused heads are wasted spots.

Unite Warriors purposely has only single uses of heads on their combiners. Which is thankfully why we're getting a Ratchet with Lynx Master rather than a Prowl-headed Smokescreen and not a laughably half-assed Computron with 3 recycled heads.

16. Thundershot

Thundershot Ratchet Fanatic

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    3? Both Afterburner and Strafe have new heads.. Scattershot has Scattershot's head, so I don't know why that would be a negative...

I agree though, Nosecone and Lightspeed should have gotten new heads... One of many reasons I'm getting UW Computron.

17. ma70er

ma70er HasTak/3P TF Collector, Gamer

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    Superion combiner head
    Brawl
    Streetwise

Of course, I'm not counting Scattershot as that head is intended for him alone.

18. MengHao

MengHao Well-Known Member

Yeah. I would have reconsidered some previous CW snubs if they had a new head

19. Bob Schoonover

Bob Schoonover Poorly-Known Member

News Credits:
    There isn't really a comparable situation to this - I can't think of a Botcon freebie or TFSS mystery figure with similar levels of interest upon being leaked. But a generic Botcon freebie almost never drops below $50. Add in that it's a Combiner War figure (a popular line right now with retail figures going for $30-40), the only official CHUG scale version of this character in this deco (meaning someone that wants him doesn't have an opt out by getting the Universe 2.0 version), and is part of a well-received set (there are probably more Bluestreaks being made than, say, Nightracer), I'd guess $110, give or take a bit. I could see it going much higher (like Botcon 2007 Dreadwind + Seekers) until or unless another version materializes from Takara or Prime Wars III

20. Primal Sabbath

Primal Sabbath Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    Honestly, I think it is BECAUSE of the MP line that is why Takara won't do CHUG Diaclone. And in my opinion, they'd be the ones to touch it at that scale, or at all before Hasbro would.. Diaclone/pre-TF, in my mind is more a Takara thing, than a Hasbro thing anyways.
    Between MP and eHobby's G1 re-releases I think that's where the Diaclone updates will forever shine.

It's hard to tell; Bob raised a lot of good points; but it's also going to go with the combiner components of FSS5.0's Wreckage and I think that will up the value some more. Wreckers fans (like myself) want all the Wreckers, and gestalt fans want their completed gestalts... Sure if they missed out on 4.0's Impactor & "blue mystery warrior" they have Alpha Bravo and Offroad to finish out Wreckage in his penultimate form. Which is cool and all. But I feel the fact that he will officially be part of that combiner, people will want him even more.
    I would wager $150 all things considered.
    Like Bob said; most freebies never drop below $50, yet it's not out of the norm for them to be around $100-$150 either.