Transformers Collector's Club Mystery Figure Revealed???

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by Collectibot, Jul 18, 2016.

1. WhiteMocha

WhiteMocha Well-Known Member

Yeah, I'm not sure. You're right that the Diaclone 2-pack from last year wasn't exactly a smash hit. And maybe the fact that I personally enjoy the Diaclone figures a lot makes me blind to their overall lack of appeal. I really don't know.

I do think the cohesiveness aspect has something to do with it, though. I suspect a random pairing of Diaclones doesn't have the same level of appeal that a full set would. Especially if the box had some great retro-style Dialone artwork on it, and a good story were created to fold the characters into the TF universe. But we'll never know!

2. Bob Schoonover

Bob Schoonover Poorly-Known Member

News Credits:
    It's probably as much about execution* as anything for the less popular themes. Would the Machine Wars set have sold better with a Megatron head on Megatron/Megaplex (giving us both), Soundwave from Cybertron Red Alert, etc? Or if the Sub Service that year (2.0, I think?) had finished out the line (providing us MW Prowl, OP, etc)? You'd have to think it'd help at least a little

A problem w/a Diaclone set would be differentiating the characters in the fiction. Shattered Glass already has the opposite personality thing. Would Diaclone colors be younger versions of the characters, another set of alternate reality versions, just powered up versions, etc? You could give all of them new heads (which would be more expensive for FunPub) to get around that, I guess.

As to the two sitting in the store - I would imagine if you took an informal (or formal) poll of fans asking them which Diaclone repaints they wanted most in Classics, Hoist and Skids would probably be in the back half (at a guess, I'd bet Blue Bluestreak, at least a couple Contachs, Exhaust, Powered Convoy, at least one Corvette and Red Mirage would all be higher).

*It's worth acknowledging that FunPub may have wanted to do these things and Hasbro balked at some of it.

3. Knightsword

Knightsword Fire in the North

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    YouTube (Old):
    In this talk about Diaclone homages, I see plenty ignoring that many of the 84/85 'Bots, that have been made in some form or another in CHUG, share their color schemes with their Diaclone predecessors. Take all that do, throw in the the specific homages from either Hasbro (like Crosscut) and the now 6 from the Club (SG Magnus, SG Tracks, Lift-Ticket, Burn-Out, and Blue Bluestreak) you will more then enough Diaclone in CHUG form.

They already did the Powered Convoy and red Corvette homages in the second SG, Invasion set.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2016
  4. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

The light bar shouldn't be there ideally... but it shouldn't be there on Smokescreen either. If one of the two had a light bar and the other didn't, it would make the one with a light bar seem even more out of place than it already is. It should be neither or both.

5. G.B. Blackrock

G.B. Blackrock Autobot Ally

News Credits:
    It is indeed. A helpful reminder.

6. FAKER II

FAKER II Cheap Repaint

This is one of those things I absolutely would buy at a reasonable price. But given the nature of it's exclusivity, there's no way this will be found for a reasonable price.

I held off on MP for a long time. Prowl really tempted me. It actually was blue Bluestreak that sucked me in. Currently, my MP collection only consists of Bluestreak and Star Saber until something else comes along which I'm compelled to buy.

7. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    Dang It Karl Hartman.

8. Raiyuki

Raiyuki Low Class Seeker

They suggested before that they never felt an entire Diaclone set would have that much appeal and that's why they tended to splash figures in as opposed to flat out making it the main theme. Of course they also seemed wary of making a combiner set but that happened. Perhaps had they continued we would've gotten a Diaclone boxed set.
    I personally liked MW but that might just be me. Could Strika and Obsidian been replaced with more thematically appropriated figures? Sure. Though I do feel their placement as characters in that era works in fiction and the figures themselves were executed fine. Though giving Megaplex a new head and an actual gun (sadly this was the year before they finally starting including arms microns) may have helped as well.
    However I'm not entirely certain that a unified theme is necessarily a truly driving force. 2014 seems to have been better recieved despite being a bit of a hodgepodge, mostly because of the hype on Scorponok (who I thought wasn't really that great personally).

9. Lbsammills51

Lbsammills51 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Hindsight being 20/20 and all that, but if you told me "You can go back and swap out any set we did get, after '09, in favor of something else, even if it didn't sell any better than what we got," I'd definitely get rid of Machine Wars in favor of doing a Diaclone/Microchange-themed set. The possibilities are very easy to imagine (you can even get a troop builder from the Microchange blue Bumble/Cliff/Bumper from Deluxe Bumblebee), and it's at least possible the price of a set and/or attendee exclusives go down a bit thanks to far fewer new heads being needed.

Though I still enjoy Machine Wars figures myself, the execution (relying on nostalgia to sell toys with no fictional background to tie that nostalgia to; you had to own those toys to care about them and back then, how many did?) was poor (ditch secrecy in favor of building up interest, maybe try and attract a "name" writer to write the short stories leading up and set comic). If you're going to rely on a limited, largely-toy based nostalgia with no fictional tie-in to help and risk poor sales scaring you off of taking risks on other sets, I would've wanted Diaclone over Machine Wars any day.

(I don't want to go back and re-legislate every Club decision, but if you're worried about how many sets Diaclone or Animated would do, you don't do Machine Wars. If that's all Hasbro would let you do, you either needed to take a step back and reevaluate how you do exclusives, or you needed to work Hasbro to open things up. Shrugging your shoulders and saying "Ok I guess, MW it is" isn't a great plan.)

I DO wonder if, had we ever gotten a dedicated Diaclone set (with the only interlopers being eHobby references like Hauler & Detritus), if that would've helped. Before this year's BW set, the last cohesive theme we got was...more or less '12? If you don't count that, since it was a vehicle to do the random hodgepodge of stuff that '13-15 did just as much, then you go back to '11. 2006, '08, '10, '11 and '16 were there best sets, and all had a theme they largely stuck with, not just with the box set but with the accompanying exclusives too.

(That's also not even getting to the idea of integrating Diaclone redecos into the TFSS, which were as hodgepodge as anything else the Club did for four of the five subscriptions.)

Yeah there are more popular options out there than the Hi-Luxes and Hatchback redecos. I imagine Lift-Ticket & Burnout were done because the Club got to use those molds for the first time and wanted to do something with them, vs going back and re-using earlier molds. That doesn't meant that was the best option, especially if doing something Diaclone was the ultimate intent.

As for Hasbro balking, if that ever happened, I hope it was because they wanted to do it themselves at some point in the future, and not because they shut them down from doing something because they wanted it as a rainy day option but were never very serious in doing it.

Wait, seriously? When people talk about wanting Diaclone redecos, it's to get the decos that never made it stateside as part of Transformers. Yes, some of Transformers' decos come from Diaclone, but suggesting we don't lack for Diaclone references because Starscream, Optimus, Inferno, Hound and others exist is a little ludicrous. That's one helluva technicality to hone in on.

As for Powered Convoy, I don't think that satisfies many's desire for a Diaclone Powered Convoy/Delta Magnus, be it from the Voyager Optimus mold or more appropriately now, from the Leader Magnus mold (with Minimus Ambus making a great Powered Buggy). The other Corvette easily becomes Black Tracks/Loudpedal.

10. dCon

dCon mecha-former

News Credits:
    Really cool on the paint apps and the deco looks good. For so many years when hasbro would do paint apps thry never had a clue, at least now they're finally starting to get it. And no I don't mean this toy because this is fun pubs doing, I understand that of course, but just the decos in general on combiner wars to titans return have just been more attractive. This Bluestreak looks dope tho

2 quick things. I have a bunch of sealed Robot Heroes I'm selling for a reasonable price.

And which Cliffjumper do you mean? Maybe it's an exclusive I can't remember. Thnx

11. Knightsword

Knightsword Fire in the North

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    YouTube (Old):
    The repaint of the original Classic's Bumblebee, came out in the 2nd wave of the Classic deluxes with Ramjet. But that doesn't count as a Diaclone homage at all, Microchange was part of Microman, not Diaclone.

12. Bob Schoonover

News Credits:
    I don't think a unified theme is necessary when there is one or more absolute home run figures (the 2007 set is another example of a set selling out w/o a distinct theme in the same manner as Shattered Glass, G2 Redux, etc). I do think it helps when there is no one figure that is blowing up the message boards/internet (the same is probably true of the subscription service - Masters of Mayhem is almost certainly popular because of theme/CW-ness than any one specific character, whereas I'd be surprised if 5.0 isn't selling on the strength of the two pretenders more so than the theme). But I think there has to be a strong *something* besides fiction to really move a set. The 2015 set not selling out has always been curious to me - I figured between Oilmaster, Battletrap, and Megatron w/3 Arms Microns that there'd be enough oomph to move that one.

I really thought when FunPub announced that joint whatever with E-Hobby (with Shattered Glass Blaster and Soundwave) we'd see a nice coordinated Diaclone push in 2013 - maybe a Botcon set and a gift set or something. Plenty of obvious candidates for toys from molds available at the time plus, as you said, Hauler, Detritus, etc. depending on which molds Hasbro was pushing.

As an aside, you'd have to think Hasbro is at least considering a Diaclone box set for CW (if they're happy enough with the sales of the other box sets) - no remolding necessary for one easy box set. Some non-trivial remolding to Hot Spot (to turn him into Hauler) would net another box set.

13. WhiteMocha

WhiteMocha Well-Known Member

Not to further derail, but I always thought Hauler would make a good gateway/crossover/POV character into a Diaclone story. If the Diaclones are treated as either a parallel universe team or even just a separate TF team located far from the G1 guys, then Hauler discovering them would explain a) why he's not an "original" Diaclone despite being tangentially linked to them via the E-Hobby connection and b) where the heck he disappeared to after appearing in that first G1 episode.

14. Bob Schoonover

News Credits:
    Hauler is clearly in hiding because the Autobots all think he's a secret Constructicon and are mean to him.

15. Nevermore

Nevermore It's self-perpetuating a parahumanoidarianised!

News Credits:
    Wave 3, actually. Wave 2 was Grimlock and Mirage.

16. G1Prowl

G1Prowl Prick, apparently

News Credits:
    As has been addressed, I mean the paint schemes that weren't released in the US during the initial G1 run, and even some that were accidentally run ie. Bumper, yellow Cliffjumper and red Bumblebee.

Yeah, I don't own a single copy of the RTS Laser Prime mold, and never will. Rumor has it that there's a Delta Magnus supposed to be coming out from the Leader class Ultra Magnus mold. As long as it's not a Headmaster or some kind factory worker can swipe the leftover mold parts so I can make it a carbon copy of UM I'll be happy.

See below about Cliffy. And as far as Robot Heroes, I'm only missing the Ricochet/Predaking two pack, and that thing is far too expensive when it DOES show up.

I think pre-Transformers would have been a better term. People lump Astro Magnum in with the whole concept of "Diaclone" paint schemes as well as the pre-TF Deluxe Insecticons. ... now I want a grey Chop Shop. Damn.

17. stprime

stprime THE コンボイ that the Matrix refused

News Credits:
    Anyone want to trade him for my 5.0 medic bot?

18. Vorahk

Vorahk Well-Known Member

yeah so if someone wants to sell msg me and I will buy it from you.

19. Lumpy

Lumpy Taylor Swift Action Master Super Mod

News Credits:
    I always thought that the Diaclone story (had they done it) should've been that those guys were all from a crew that took off before the Ark, got lost and everyone just assumed they were dead. Then make some new enemies that they find or maybe were chasing them already... There's more story there somewhere.

20. Raiyuki

Raiyuki Low Class Seeker

Though it may have been a mistake on their part I think they legitimately DID think MW was a good idea as opposed to just picking it as the only thing left over. Hasbro has of course been stated to be one of the factors in what they can and can't do and it apparently has to do with whether Hasbro has plans to do a character or not at the time (hence why stuff like Scourge and the 2007 Seekers happened at the time).

SG Magnus I'm certain was more an homage than an intended dual representation seeing as it uses a cab robot with the full robot's lay out loosely applied. The closest thing to a Powered Convoy cab homage we actually have is the two RID Blizzard Strike Optimi that came out recently. SG Tracks on the other hand I think may have been intended as a dual representation seeing as it's pretty much a spot on Roadrage.
    I feel in general the decos are quite all over the place with really successful ones and terrible ones. Wheeljack comes to mind when talking about really bad ones (at least in bot mode; Smokescreen as well) whereas Dragstrip comes to mind as a fantastic one as does the ever controversial Blastoff/SG Slingshot.
    I do feel up till 2011 we generally got good decos consistently.
    I'm actually surprised to hear that set wasn't popular. I was under the impression that Oilmaster and Battletrap pretty much made the set a success. Sounds good for my prospects of getting it cheap but still surprising.
    I'm also somewhat surprised they didn't go very far with that although we DID get Magnificus. Granted Microchange isn't Diaclone but close enough and it's got the same sort of appeal. In fact Microchange seems to be the most underappreciated of homages. We've yet to get a proper representation of black MC12 in any capacity. I would've been certain MP5 would at least have gotten redecoed that way instead of Blingatron.