Transformers Collection Display Advice!

Discussion in 'Transformers Collection Showcase' started by Superquad7, May 3, 2011.

1. RyanCharlie

RyanCharlie Banned

I absolutely will. I do miss my original display, it was never intended to be moved but we had water ingress issues in that basement.
    [​IMG]

Ended up selling those (and five other) detolfs last summer for close to original price since at the time they'd gone up in price again and were never in stock.

• Like Like x 3
  2. Turbine027

Turbine027 Boys or Toys? BOTH!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I feel bad that I don’t check this thread that often so this might not be helpful if you’ve already done something … but I have Billies with glass shelves (I also had enough room for toppers) and I’m about to install lighting in me room!

I recently took EVERYTHING out of the room, added seating and reshuffled a few shelves to squeeze more in (to make up for some of what I was losing) … just painted and lights are next on the list.

IMG_5756.jpeg

IMG_7159.jpeg

IMG_7170.jpeg

IMG_7206.jpeg
    I bought pucks for all the white shelves, some sconce lighting to be hard wired above the couch and a new ceiling fixture … everything LED and dimmable and will be on smart switches to come on on command.

If interested, I can share what I’m using and my “plan” to make the wires as hidden as reasonable.

For me it will involve making a template on one of my extra wood shelves (from replacing with glass) and drilling 2 small holes for the LED pucks… this will only work for the upper shelves because all the wiring will be secured flat above the shelf and invisible to anyone looking while standing or sitting (the effect is the puck looking built into the shelf!!) for the lower shelf (and because of the length of the wiring provided between pucks, I’m gonna do a W pattern below the shelf from corner to puck to middle/back to puck to corner (if that makes sense … I’ll post pictures when I do it!) I’ll have small holes at the corners and middle/back right under the shelves to pull the excess behind and keep things taught underneath… it would look hideous on a glass shelf, but will be invisible to the naked eye while standing or sitting on the couch… I will only see the wires if I sit on the floor!

IMG_7289.jpeg

IMG_7216.jpeg

The last photo was just a test shot in the dark while on a lower dim setting so I could play with how far back to mount them

• Like Like x 4
  3. Turbine027

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Sharing the progress on my puck light installation… note, the way I’m doing this only works for non glass shelves and probably best for Billies or something similar

Goal: puck lights to look as built in as possible by making the wires as invisible as possible to the naked eye while standing and sitting on the couch

I’m doing this by drilling holes into the highest 2 white shelves to push the wires through … the wires themselves will actually be secured flat “above and on” those shelves but can’t be seen while standing in the room because of how high they are. The lower white shelf will have some small holes underneath the shelf to pull wires around but no drilling the shelves themselves… you can’t see the wires secured underneath from standing or sitting heights unless you sit on the actual floor

Since I replaced my wood shelves with glass I had a ton left over and made a template for the short shelves dead center and about 1 cm back (the lighting looks the best on the figures the closer you can mount it to the front … I went with 1 cm back because it was the farthest foward I could go that didn’t look too weird to my eyes.

IMG_7306.jpeg

I used a 1/2 inch sized hole to easily accommodate the widest part of the wire connectors:

IMG_7309.jpeg

I then used that template to drill holes into the wider shelf template… I wanted 2 pucks for the wide shelves and decided to just repeat the distance from each edge.

IMG_7307.jpeg

IMG_7308.jpeg

While drilling I always started the drill on the side that’s visible to the eye on a shelf so any splintering would be on the top side out of sight. I was also careful to drill from the bottom until I could barely see the tip come though and then flipped it to drill out the rest … it made for 90% no splintering!l and 100% no splintering on the visible side!

I used a C clamp to hold the templates in place and a box to collect the majority of the saw dust

IMG_7313.jpeg

Just kept moving the templates and drilling …

IMG_7314.jpeg

IMG_7315.jpeg

I’ll start installing the lighting once all the drilling is done, but here is one wired through to give you a glance at what it’s gonna look like:

IMG_7316.jpeg

I’ll obviously update when the lighting is installed with pictures of the final wiring!

EDIT: A note about my spacing on the wider shelves … I had 2 choices: visually split the wide shelf into 3rds and place the 2 pucks at those points, or do what I ended up deciding, which was “the width to the center of the short shelves” repeated in on both sides… basically cutting the shelf into 4ths and putting the pucks on the 1/4 and 3/4 marks… In theory it sounds like the first option would be better, but here’s a photo of what the difference is: The blue marks show my choice which creates a consistent distance between each puck along the whole wall, the other option would be better on a standalone display of just one wide shelf, but notice how the spacing would look by comparison:

IMG_7325.jpeg

If you had -only- wide shelves then I think either would work and it’s just a preference, but since my room is a mix of short and wide Billy shelves it maintains the distance between pucks no matter what pattern I do with the bookcases

Last edited: Aug 7, 2023
    • Like Like x 3
  4. RyanCharlie

RyanCharlie Banned

Looking great dude! I love that you put the seating in there, both my collection rooms to date have had at minimum a couch for just chilling out. I'm off to check out another house tomorrow and I'm seeing some possibilities in this space in the attic. Screenshot 2023-08-06 170433.png

• Like Like x 3
  5. Turbine027

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Figured I should update this and show some of my wiring … I won’t go into any crazy details unless anyone has a specific question for me, but wanted you to see the results!

Plugged into the wall, I have plans to help conceal the mess of chords later. Ran the line up to the Billy Extender where a small gap was already there with how the shelves were built…

IMG_7374.jpeg

IMG_7375.jpeg

IMG_7377.jpeg

IMG_7378.jpeg

After running along the whole shelf, used a provided extension to go to the top row… this row was easier because everything could stay on top and I didn’t have to go in and out the back side…

IMG_7381.jpeg

IMG_7382.jpeg

lower shelf I ran a new plug … they recommended not doing more than 16 connected together so my wiring plans maxed at 14 to be safe… these I had to go in and out of a hole under the shelf in both corners … I later used white duct tape to secure the wire and cover the holes

IMG_7383.jpeg

IMG_7384.jpeg

IMG_7385.jpeg

A look from below, no wires seen at the top, only on the bottom row
    IMG_7386.jpeg

Here it is all secured and looking ready for figures!!

IMG_7404.jpeg

IMG_7534.jpeg

one thing to note is that the light does have trouble penetrating all the way to the lowest shelf, but it still looks really cool :lol 

as I did the other walls the light actually bounced around the room and helped a bit … I still have an overhead light to put in that will mostly eliminate it but wanted to be transparent about the flaw in this design

IMG_7530.jpeg

• Like Like x 2
  6. ziltama

ziltama Mods, molds, and casts. Also full of hot gas.

News Credits:
    One of our Detolf side glass panels completely shattered randomly in the middle of the night some months ago, which was not fun to clean up. I was thinking about the Blaliden but that thing is getting reviewed quite negatively. The only positive I see is for more shelf height options...but Ikea doesn't sell extra glass shelves.

Starting putting some other figures into the Billy bookshelves, which is what I should've done a while ago instead of buying multiple Detolfs.

• Like Like x 1
  7. RyanCharlie

RyanCharlie Banned

I bought one today, I'll try to give my unbiased thoughts on it.

I'm calling it now though, were going to see this elitist display case shit going forward. Welcome to the age of the DeeeTulfers.

• Like Like x 1
  8. RyanCharlie

RyanCharlie Banned

just some quick thoughts on the Blaliden

Very easy assembly. No glass under stress like the detolfs. Feels solid but still easy to move. While smaller overall the interior space difference isn't as extreme as some are making it out to be. I don't own any detolfs anymore but here's a pic of some of my MOTUC in one
    i20BYV1.jpg

This is my go-to acrylic riser, they fit well in a detolf but due to the shelf design you had to make certain where the bag legs were or else they'd slide into the gap. Using standard MOTUC or Origins figures I could fit 12 figures on each shelf.

Here's a test fit of the new cabinet with some Masterverse figures
    IMG_20230814_141832.jpg

Obviously they're just placed in there to show the sizing but I can get 12 figures in one cube, same as before. There's no gap to worry about in the back. The space is narrower and a bit more shallow but for my purposes this would work fine. There's also channels in the sides where wires could be hidden which is neat.

I'll probably reorder my thoughts on this later but i just got it put together and wanted to get my first impressions out.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Fuze9

Fuze9 Piddle Patrol

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Quasi-necro bump, but what y’all think of this thing?

SweetSage Fire Escape Wall Shelf - Wall Mounted Floating Shelf with 3 Hooks, Black Metal Hanging Shelves for Bedroom, Home Office Storage and Display (3-Tier) Amazon.com

upload_2023-11-10_21-34-32.jpeg

Mostly considering for Marvel Legends or NECA TMNT.

• Like Like x 1
  10. OptimusTarzan

OptimusTarzan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I like it and have been considering for my GI Joes.

11. waflhaus91

waflhaus91 Co-wisest person at TFW, as proclaimed by barry.

Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Custom URL):
    Tumblr:
    I need some opinions.

So this is where I will be setting up my display. I had originally planned on using wall shelves but that is no longer an option. This area here is where I have the most horizontal space available but not as much vertical space. I was also planning on putting a futon where all the boxes currently are when they are finally gone but that can probably be changed. I thought about getting some short Billy's to put along this wall, but short Billy's are 41 3/4" tall, and the shelf that goes along this wall is at 40 3/4". Not being able to set the shelves flush against the wall will drive me nuts. There is also a space to the right of my computer desk where I could fit 1 tall bookshelf, but I don't like the idea of having 1 display case separate from the rest unless it's displaying something completely different.
    20231111_200344.jpg

This space here is directly opposite of the wall above. As you can see, it offers more vertical space but less horizontal space. I am also hesitant to put anything there because that is essentially the walking path from the basement steps to my bedroom and my roommate's game room, so I don't want to put anything there that is going to be an inconvenience to either of us. Just going off of measurements, it seems like I could fit 2 regular sized Billy's on this wall without them getting in the way. But, if you've seen my pictures of my display in my old house, 2 Billy's is about 2 Billy's too short to fit all of my figures. Everything currently in that space will eventually be gone.
    20231111_200352.jpg

And lastly there is this space, which again could fit 1 regular sized Billy without getting in the way of anything.
    20231111_200401.jpg

So right off the top of my head, I see that I could possibly get 4 Billy's down here, which should be enough to display all of my figures (though my not be enough in the future). I could put 1 next to the door above, 2 along the big wall, and 1 next to my computer desk. It's not ideal because, like I said, I don't like having separate display cases unless it's for separate displays. But, it's still an option. I'm also fighting off a headache and just now getting over a week-long cold, so I'm having trouble coming up with other options. I'd like to hear some other opinions. What would you do in this situation? Are there possibly other display units I could look into? I know that places like Target and Walmart also sell bookcases that are shorter than Billy's, but I've had them before. They are also narrower (so they can't hold nearly as many figures) and aren't the greatest quality.

Any help would be greatly appreciate. It's still going to be some time before I could even start putting my figures back on display because my roommate still has a lot of things to get rid of before I can finish unpacking, but I'd like to get a game plan established for when that time finally comes.

12. Hawkwave

Hawkwave Well-Known Member

Never used them, but that space screams wall mounted shelves to me. I have seen plenty of really well done setups in spaces like you have using them. There is one insane one I can't find, but TMreviews is pretty good.

13. waflhaus91

waflhaus91 Co-wisest person at TFW, as proclaimed by barry.

Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Custom URL):
    Tumblr:

14. Goldchains

Goldchains Hopeless addict

News Credits:
    • Like Like x 2
  15. Omegax80

Omegax80 Using a Positive Rifle

News Credits:
    Hi all,

I recently got a number of detolf cases, and curious about what risers to purchase? New to the display game here... The search function here wasn't helpful

16. chrisr291

chrisr291 Master of the Unknown

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    What type of figures or figure size? We talking Joes, Hot Toys, G1, or MP?

17. Omegax80

News Credits:

G1/G2 TFs
    Some assorted modern TFs also.

Lego Star Wars...

I figure something which could cut each section in half.

• Like Like x 1
  18. chrisr291

chrisr291 Master of the Unknown

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    So this is what I use:

IMG_1120.jpeg IMG_1119.jpeg IMG_1117.jpeg IMG_1121.jpeg

Classified and G1:
    I used this riser: Acrylic Risers Display Stands, 9” Perfume Organizer, Clear Diaplay Riser Shelf Compatible with Funko POPs Amiibo Nendoroids, Lotion Holder Cupcake Stand Shot Glass Display Tiered Table Shelf Stand Amazon.com

Star Wars: it’s a spice rack that the previous owners left in my house. It’s pretty nice, extends super far and great for medium to large scale figures.

Masterpiece: I used this one because I wanted characters at different heights.

2 Set Acrylic Risers, 8 Pcs Rectangular Clear Acrylic Display Stand, Display Risers Shelf for Retail Desktop Shoe Showcase Jewelry Funko Pop Figures ************/d/5IiJjjJ

Hope that helps! Also, I probably overpaid, check TEMU for better deals.

• Like Like x 4
  19. Omegax80

News Credits:
    So interestingly enough, I had purchased those Acrylic risers, but was hoping for something taller and wider, almost like an additional shelf

• Like Like x 1
  20. Turbine027

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    It would have to be very thick acrylic otherwise it will bend.

I’m a huge fan of tiered risers for certain areas but I just have LOTS of individual risers or varying heights (or I just stack them as needed).

• Like Like x 1