Transformers Collection Display Advice!

Discussion in 'Transformers Collection Showcase' started by Superquad7, May 3, 2011.

1. xMostWanted559x

xMostWanted559x Well-Known Member

Any of you guys using the IKEA dioder strips. I have the old round white ones but they don't make those anymore.

I saw they have the color changing ones but st the store I couldn't get them to work in one color. It kept wanting to change colors.

2. Primacronus

Primacronus Clean-Up Crew

News Credits:
    We took out all of the items within, carefully turned them on their side and carried them out with furniture pads. Not a scratch!

3. Scourgatron

Scourgatron 4D Smart-ass

News Credits:
    My mother called me up and gave me some old Dirigent shelves from Ikea. My collection has been in boxes for a couple of years. I like them a lot so far. I put them up in my studio room.

[​IMG]

Theres a lot more shelves too. I really dont have room to put them up. I might squeeze in a few so stuff isnt stacked three deep.

4. G1Dan

G1Dan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm looking for individual acrylic blocks to provide height to my FOC/Generations display. Can anyone reccomend a place in the UK that sell these?

5. 8bitforlife

8bitforlife Well-Known Member

Anyone have any suggestions on a display case with glass doors. I was going to get some billy bookcases but apparently they are being discontinued and the new catalog wont be available till August. Or do the BILLY MOREBO
    Glass door work with other bookcases?

6. Arkvander

Arkvander Optimal Optimist

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    Did Ikea say they're being replaced with another item, or just being removed altogether? Seems odd they would keep the Morebo doors if they don't have anything to attach them to.

7. jixie

jixie not colonel sanders

Finally getting my collection out of storage (well... part of it), off of random windowsills and the tops of bookshelves, and on display.

Some of these guys just don't want to stay standing, not even in the most generic "standing with arms to the side" pose. I'm mostly having trouble with some of the more willowy Prime guys (ie. Airachnia) and non-TF ridiculously top-heavy Pacific Rim figures (stinkin' Striker Eurika broke a leg from falling off the shelf so many times).

Doll stands are an option, of course, but aesthetically... eh...

Hubby suggested double-sided tape, but that's more permanent than I'd like. I've been searching for recommendations for a mounting tape or other adhesive that's removable and won't leave a residue that would gunk up my figures. But I can't seem to find any reviews for this purpose (since these things are mostly for hanging pictures or hooks on the wall).

Has anyone tried anything like this? Any suggestions or recommendations?

So far removable Glue Dots look the most appealing.

Or is there another option that I'm completely missing?

(I'm thinking of using clear fishing line to keep the hopelessly heavy Pacific Rim Knifehead upright, but not sure how well it'll work on all of these shelf-divers, compared to an adhesive.)

Thanks in advance!

8. bsutton1

bsutton1 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I went to the Charlotte Ikea on Friday. They still had the detolfs on display. I didn't check to see if they were in stock. I ended up getting a 3 shelf Besta double shelf unit for $50.

9. Arkvander

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    Did you happen to notice if they still had any Billy bookcases on display or in stock?

10. bsutton1

bsutton1 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    ^Yes, they had a bunch of Billy Bookcases on display but don't know if they were in stock.

11. Arkvander

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    Cool, thank you. Everything online says out of stock, but I got an email from them telling me they'll be back in stock by August. Perfect timing for renovations!

12. Bucket Head

Bucket Head -*-

storing bots

I have (reluctantly) decided to reduce my displays. I think I am going to stick to Masterpiece and 3rd party stuff. That being said, I'm not getting rid of anything, but clutter up my basement crawlspace with boxes. so my question to the masses: how do you store away your precious collectables? I cannot say I'm excited about wrapping each bot in bubble wrap, considering I have close to 1000 bots of various sizes and levels of dust coating!

bucket

13. CaptainSlayer

CaptainSlayer "Soundwave just sent out Randal"

Display cases or small boxes to help protect my toys?

Hey everyone, Slayer here again.

A few days ago I posted a thread about my return to collecting and asked for some advice on finding wave 2 AOE Deluxe toys. You can see the thread here.

I'm back again to ask something else. I only collect unopened toys and currently, the eight figures I've gotten so far are just sitting on a cheap Wal-mart book shelf.

I'm curious if there are any 'cheaper' display cases with glass that I could show them off in or if anyone knows a D.I.Y solution to the problem.

Another question is about individual 'protective' cases. For example, all of my SNES and NES video games are in clear plastic cases to help protect them.

Do they make something similiar for toys this size?

Thanks for all the help, I appreciate you all taking the time to read!

14. CVprowl

CVprowl Done

glass detolf display cases at Ikea seem to be very popular. google detolf.

15. CaptainSlayer

I'm not sure the is an Ikea near me, but I'll take a look. Thank you.

16. MetalicGrunt

MetalicGrunt Rust Proof Commando

News Credits:
  17. CaptainSlayer

Oh, wow, Grunt just saved me some time with the pic and link. Thank you very much! Those are amazingly awesome. Much better than a dusty old bookshelf!

18. Optimus Prime15

Optimus Prime15 Well-Known Member

Or if you live in canada you can look at jysk. An ikea ripoff. Sells the same type of cabinet called seja.

19. LegendAntihero

LegendAntihero Banned

I'd go with small boxes cause they're cheaper

20. Strife

Strife Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I have a few pretty easy questions.

(1) I have two detolfs and I have the dioder lighting I put in. I ran the cabling for the lighting out the top of them (via the holes at the top). As a consequence, the plastic hole closers cant be used.

Is there any alternative to these closers? What are people using to seal that opening from dust?

(2) I have a lot of transformers, but I like to only display a few at a time on rotation (given that previously, my display cabinets were two small acrylic cases that could hold about 10 figures total). My display collection right now is not terribly original.

Shelf 1: 1984 Autobots (generations and 3rd party, such as Orion for my prime).
    Shelf 2: 1984 Decepticons (Generations and 3rd party, such as Hercules)
    Shelf 3: Generations Unicron, Scourge, Cyclonus, Galvatron (Maniac King).
    Shelf 4: Nothing

Shelf 1: 1986 Autobots (Generations and 3P, such as City Commander)
    Shelf 2: Assorted Generations and 3P Autobots (FoC Grimlock w/ 3p addons, Caelus, Rhinox, Rattrap, Orion Pax, IDW comic book featured characters).
    Shelf 3: Assorted Generations Decepticons (Straxus, Armada Starscream, Stealth Bomber Megatron, Generations lugnute, the coneheads, etc).
    Shelf 4: Nothing.

The Deltofs sit low. So what's a good thing to put in these bottom cases? I have Masterpeices... Platinum Omega Supreme. Lots of options. I just need ideas. ><

(3) Is there some kinda case that could fit Generations Metroplex without requiring another detolf where I just combine two shelves?