Transformers Cinematic Universe Is Over, Current Movie Series To Be Rebooted

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by SilverOptimus, Feb 16, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Omega Supreme-1

Omega Supreme-1 Autobot Sentinel

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Here is my very opinion filled piece, it is not intended to trigger or attack anyone. Please understand my experiences with the brand may not be the same as yours, and we may not share the same tastes.

Narratively, it is a shame if we never get a conclusion to the Unicron storyline set up in The Last Knight. One could hope that now that the films are on the way out, maybe IDW could be permitted to pen their own vision of the conclusion of that story arc.

Cinema as a whole is a very struggling format, akin to video games, where budget keep going up and thus studios feel obligated to hit numbers in the billions; or else people will decry your film a flop, even when it's still very profitable like The Last Knight.

Due to the size of the typical Transformers film cast, it has been a real struggle to get meaningful characterization; often the best characterization being created by fans interpretation like Vangelus' "Murder Prime". I'm honestly not sure that feature film is a good media for Transformers. So far we've mostly had films that can be summarized as mastubatory spectacles of visual effect set pieces.

That said, I do appreciate the benefits that were reaped from the successes of these films. I appreciate the attempts of a different visual aesthetic than what had been come to be expected. Was it always a success? No, I don't personally think so and I have found it difficult to be personally invested in any of the characters; especially due to them being treated at times as simply a prop to eventually rag doll, or unnaturally fall to pieces.

By no means have I hated these films, with the caveat that Revenge of the Fallen did significantly catch my ire. I don't really feel like the films had much of a narrative vision, and had very inconsistent myth/worldbuilding. Did some neat visuals, and concepts get produced along the way? Sure, I won't lie and say these films had absolutely no value; they certainly did to the studio, or we wouldn't have gotten 5, and the upcoming Bumblebee film.

However, this franchise is built on change and I think it's probably overdue for one. The film series likely could have comfortably ended with Dark of the Moon, as in a lot of ways Age of Extinction attempted to be a soft reboot. Could the 6th movie potentially have ended the new trilogy on a high note? I think it's a possibility, but unlikely. We would have gotten more of the same, more than likely; and if that's what you wanted, then I guess that's a shame you'll likely have to just settle for the Bumblebee solo film.

I'm not gonna celebrate this chapter heading to a close, nor will I belittle those that found great personal pleasure from it. All I can say is, I hope that whatever new vision comes our way learns from what did or did not work from the past. Perhaps a simpler, smaller scale, and more intimate cast film set in the Cybertronians Civil War might find some real success in character based storytelling.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Incepticon

Incepticon This place ain't what it used to be...

News Credits:
    It's the final pee drip shake-off of this franchise iteration - they would have also cancelled it but it was already too late. It's not the start of anything, let alone anything new.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Mobb One

Mobb One Godmaster

News Credits:
    Thank God. Maybe now the film franchise can have competent storytellers who can do more with transformers than have 5 or fewer lines of dialogue and NOT spend the entire movie blowing up and setting fire to air and dirt.

• Like Like x 4
  4. TargetmasterJoe

TargetmasterJoe Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Tumblr:
    Did anyone else think a lot of the robot faces were weird in the sense that they were way more detailed than they should've been?

• Like Like x 2
  5. Powerglide1991

Powerglide1991 Autobot

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Nice to see Hasbro having more control over the new films. still wish they had backed off at Paramount And went with Disney/WB but I suppose working with paramount for so long they have a bit more leeway.

• Like Like x 2
  6. lambi

lambi Well-Known Member

Ultimately, this is good news. The movies were awful.
    the bee movie looks promising, maybe it will end in a high note?

• Like Like x 4
  7. Mobb One

Mobb One Godmaster

News Credits:
    Yeah. Super impersonal. The designs actually enhanced the indifference to the character treatment because you can't readily distinguish the faces and identify with their "emotions"

8. Mark

Mark Just here for the toys

TLK was not "very profitable" by any standard. If you look at Box office vs. budget then you may think so, but that budget number doesn't include marketing, and the box office number is skewed by the fact that so much of it came from the foreign box office, where the percentage given back to the studio is less. Best guess I've seen is that it did make some money, but not enough considering what was invested into it.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Ephland

Ephland Let's Go Rangers

News Credits:
    If we're being fair, the designs overall suffered from being too detailed. Like how in robot mode, a car piece would be dirty and scuffed, but in vehicle mode - pristine.

• Like Like x 6
  10. Rquiem

Rquiem Dutchbot

News Credits:
    Neither is Bayverse.
    Movie fans do the same thing to everything that came before it.People just seem to feel they need to defend their opinions.

That said, its time this ended. It should have long ago. Transformers thrives on reinventing itself through all these years.
    The movies are no exception.

• Like Like x 4
  11. Joey Slick

Joey Slick Whirl is a Transformer.

• Like Like x 3
  12. Roger Semerad

Roger Semerad Well-Known Member

I actually liked the alien look that the bayverse had for the transformers, but it's probably time for something a bit different after 6 movies of it. Going full retro is kinda silly, but I can see a more normal human looking bots overall working in a cgi movie. They'd still have a lot more detail and moving parts than any of the animated designs over the years, just not as much as the Bayverse. It's actually really exiting to think about what the overall aesthetic could go for with clean slate. If they can reconcile the layering and angling of alt-mode parts that made the bayverse designs interesting with the more human and classic design elements we could end up with something special.

yeah, that's how I see it. The humans can be important to the story, just not more so than the transformers themselves.

• Like Like x 2
  13. John TheDestroyer

John TheDestroyer Yoinkus

News Credits:
    These films introduced me to the franchise. I was 7 when the first movie came out, and it was the most amazing thing I had ever seen. Through the years as ive grown and matured, I've realised that the movies are plagued with far more bad aspects than good aspects. But they will always hold a place in my heart. They were such a large part of my childhood, Its hard to imagine that its over now. I read the news earlier but its just now hitting me that this huge part of my entire childhood that I've lived and loved for more than half my life, is just gone now.

The movies were admittedly very childish. Filled with problems simply because children wouldn't notice them. The childish side of me will always love going back to rewatch them. But maybe now that I'm becoming an adult, I'm ready for something a bit more cohesive. I'm about to transition from a kid to a full blown adult, maybe the live action franchise is doing the same. Transitioning from something passable but childish, to something a bit more solid and likeable. The nostalgia is hitting me hard with this news, but I have bright hopes for the future reboot.

Unless the reboot is just another g1 rehash. Then fuck that

• Like Like x 1
  14. Niv3k

Niv3k 'Fe Li Na'

News Credits:
    While I think that the storyline of these movies was too convoluted for a Cinematic Universe, ending it like this leaves a sour taste.
    These movies, for a lot of people, were their introduction or re-introduction to the franchise. A proper conclusion seems fitting to end the series.

This decision has to be made after TLK as the credits scene is a direct teaser for the sequel to the aforementioned movie.
    Ending the franchise with TLK and leaving the credits scene out would've been better, but not my favorable option.
    It makes me wonder what'll happen with the animated Cybertron prequel.

Now that the movies are ending with Transformers: Bumblebee, I hope that there atleast is some sort of conclusion there.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Mr. Chaos

Mr. Chaos Head of Illuminati Chapter 517

News Credits:
    ...okay, what to completely miss my point but good on ya, buddy. Totally not looking like a deranged fan boy at the moment.

• Like Like x 3
  16. Applejacktimus

Applejacktimus Likes Alpha Bravo

Disappointing, but probably a good idea. I was hoping the crew could at least get their shit together and make an awesome TF6 and end it there, but it's probably best they jump ship before it's too late.

My only hopes now are that Bee's Brilliant Bonanza manages to be a kickass last hurrah, that the MPM line marches on without movie support, and that we see movie iterations of some TFs and new characters from them (e:Barricade,Crosshairs, Dreads, Cogman, Nitro Zeus, etc) inspire future characters in Transformers.

RIP Movieverse, you had so much potential.

:bay :bay :bay :bay :bay :bay :bay 

• Like Like x 2
  17. QLRformer

QLRformer Seeker

News Credits:
    I have mixed feelings about this.

On the one hand, I have enjoyed the action and robot designs for Bayformers and would enjoy seeing more of the same.

On the other hand, these films are too edgy and pessimistic and don't give a story that respects the Autobots or Decepticons and so a reboot is in order for an approach that gives respect to the Transformers.

Let's see where this goes and hope for the best, that's all I can say.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Niv3k

Niv3k 'Fe Li Na'

News Credits:
    And please don't add Transformers to a Hasbro Cinematic Universe. Don't like what they're doing with that concept in the current IDW comics at all.

• Like Like x 4
  19. Nightrain

Nightrain Senior Villain

News Credits:
    Sentinel and Q were good examples of going in the right direction imo. Although I’d be very curious to see what alien robots without moving mouths could look like. Because why would they even need it?

• Like Like x 1
  20. SuperSlacker

SuperSlacker Guy who lives in Nemesis Prime's sleeper cab

Best move ever. You guys got 6 movies out of this beaten dead horse, it's way past time to move on to bigger & better things. Reboot & reset it in a few years with new designs & a new take on the story. Anything has to be better than what they were putting out. Personally I'd love to see a WfC ~ FoC type story, or just a space / cybertron centered movie that only sees them crash to Earth in a post credit scene. Show us the civil war, the planet dying, the exodus, a Transformers movie centered around TRANSFORMERS, not humans.

If not that then just give me All Hail Megatron or Last Stand of the Wreckers

PS: I'd be lying if I said all these Bayformer fan tears weren't absolutely delicious

• Like Like x 2
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.