'Transformers' beats targets with $201 mln debut

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by King Starscream, Jun 28, 2009.

1. Turnpike

Turnpike Brawl is my bee-otch

GOOD GOD. O_O

What I fail to understand is how such a film can earn so much (in such a quick time), since the majority of the people believe:

- the film lacks story
    - lacks character
    - has horrible jokes and humor
    - film being torn apart by critics
    - Word of mouth seems to be quite negative as well
    - stereotypical michael bay bashing

^ Just an observation. This does not reflect my views on the film.

From the looks of it... Titanic might sink from #1 domestic spot after being hit by a descending protoform...

2. ersico

ersico Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    one things for certain..i loved it ...both times...regular theatre and then imax....soooo
    $24.50 later..im glad to know i helped in the movies success :) 

3. ORIO

ORIO Team Sentinel Prime Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Damn. Was hoping it would beat Dark Knight so I can rub it in a coworkers face. Oh well, Dark Knight is a badass flick and hard to beat. Great news for TF2! I can't wait to see it again

4. SMS55

SMS55 Well-Known Member

Whether it beats Dark Knight or not I guess doesn't really matter. This just tells the critics of the movie they can stuff it. People loved it, and this all but gaurantees a third movie to the franchise. In the end that's what's important. We are getting a third film.

5. Goaliebot

Goaliebot All Makes and Models

News Credits:
    WOOOOHOOOO! SCOREBOARD, BIATCHES! :D 

Let pre-producion on TF3 begin!

6. Tell_Story

Tell_Story Well-Known Member

Don't get me wrong. I'm happy the movie is having such great success and with that said I don't know how you guys can scoff at those of us who think this movie isn't that great. Transformers are great in themselves. Making it into a movie has great appeal and I think the design and they way they've been worked onto the big screen is pretty decent. So guess what on that appeal alone it has made a lot of money, but the movie still stinks. It may not stink as bad as some other movies, but it's certainly not as good as something like the Dark Knight.

What is the big difference. I think its maturity. Michael Bay is utterly infantile in his humor and it makes a good bit of the audience and critics react. Will we still watch it? Yeah sure, we love Transformers, but that doesn't change our opinion over the movie.

Making $201 million is not a trump card to the critics or a sign that the movie is good. People are going out to see it and it has much more to do with whether it is actually good or not.

7. payton34

payton34 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    All summer "event" movies have a big opening weekend, you get a feel for how much staying power it has by looking at the second weekend numbers to see how low the percentages dropped (granted, this will come with an asterisk since it's July 4th weekend).

Spiderman 3 opened big too, and for the most part it was seen by critics and fans alike as a POS. That's why it started to take a nosedive from the second weekend onward.

8. SMS55

SMS55 Well-Known Member

Many films are ripped by critics but received well by the public. Most people when they go see a movie want to be entertained. I don't think they care for a deep story, or a Shakespeare type plot. I for one want to sit back and be entertained. I love special effects, action, explosions. If I want intellectual stimulation I'll read a book.
    I don't think the story is as bad as some would argue. The story plays out like any G-1 cartoon. The Decepticons are trying to strip the planet of energon to return to Cybertron, and the Autobots are trying to stop them. Word of mouth isn't bad. I report on this very web page aid that 91% of people coming out of the movie said they liked it.
    Well Michael Bay is always going to get bashed because he loves blowing stuff up, and doesn't devote more time to plot, and character. He's fine with that. This is the type of movie he likes to make.

9. Sideswipe1954

Sideswipe1954 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I am confused. I have seen it in this thread as well as others, but how is there negative word of mouth, outside of the critics. Yes, some people did not like and have said so, but if Paramount is polling 90%+ liking it, where is this major negative word of mouth that is hurting it?

10. What About Bob?

What About Bob? Banned

A lot of it has to do with return business. Most are going to see it again too..can't be all that bad.

11. frenzyrumble

frenzyrumble Banned

News Credits:
    good news. I saw a TV Spot last night where there were testimonials shown between quick scenes.

12. Angelwave

Angelwave Physical Maintenance.....

News Credits:
    That's the thing, outside negativity of the critics and some hardcore Transformers fans, there has been little to none coming from the regular movie goer. A few friends and family members who know just the basics of Transformers, have spoken with me, telling me they enjoyed it. To some they thought it could be a bit over the top, but to all, they enjoyed it.

13. Goaliebot

News Credits:
    Mostly just critics and a vocal group here on the boards. Wander into the Movie forum here and its a real hate-fest most of the time (though to me it looks like the same posters over and over, running into every thread).

I've stopped going into the Movie forum. It just isn't fun to listen to the same folks attacking over and over ad nauseum something I like so much. I respect their right to their opinion and sure they didn't like it and that's fine and they can say so. But some of them seem focused on posting it over and over and over, thread after thread after thread. I think they're angry, and that's why. I can sort of understand, if I hadn't loved ROTF I'd maybe be angry too... but I like to think I'd let the people who did like it do so in a little peace.

14. Sideswipe1954

Sideswipe1954 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The funny thing is, I found this review on Youtube where she actually went out and spoke with people who SAW the movie, and you know, not a single TF shirt to be had.

YouTube - Transformers 2 Movie Review: Beyond The Trailer

And you know, it kind of backs up Paramount's 90%+ liking it version

15. Megatronwp38

Megatronwp38 Nobody defeats the DEVASTATOR!

This is great news! I loved it and I saw it twice already! I don't care if it beats the Dark knight, which by the way I hated. It was WAY to serious and dark for batman to me. I don't understand all the praise for THAT movie at all. I felt it ruined Batman for me. I much prefer the 1st two Michael Keaton movies over Begins and Dark Knight.

16. protostar8

protostar8 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    The Dark Knight was a million times better than TF2, which was kinda garbage if you step back and look at it without getting caught up in the "wow the graphics are awesome" bubble. (Not meaning any offense to anyone with that comment)

I'm more than happy that Dark Knight beat TF2 b/c it deserves the win.

17. Goaliebot

News Credits:
    I thought it was decent, but too... not "dark", but rather "mopey". Everyone was miserable all the freaking time... except joker who was good, but I just didn't get that whole "greatest acting performance evar!" thing with him. It was really good, no doubt, but the whole Joker is a laughing serial killer isn't groundbreaking. Again - Heath Ledger did great, the writing was good, etc - just the whole movie felt like a big downer; like the message was "Being Batman sucks hard". I guess it would in real life but... man... downer.

18. Rookbartley

Rookbartley Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    A couple of things. First of all, wow! Success like this means we all benefit, movie lovers or not. We get toys, we get merchandise, we get cartoons. Heck, at one point last year, I could buy Transformers in three different lines, movie, universe and animated. Do you think we would be at that level if the first movie didn't come out? I remember the dark days of never even being able to find a Transformers t-shirt! So here's what you need to keep in perspective. This movie, like it or not, has raised awareness to a whole new level. That means we as fans, whether it be of the toys, comics, cartoons, whatever, get new product! A steady product. And damn it, it's cool to be a Transformers fan. I get so many compliments on my tattoo it's not even funny. So lets enjoy this moment and even if you didn't enjoy the movie, sit back and think about all the good this will bring.

After multiple viewings, damn, I loved the Shanghai battle. That's what Transformers is all about. Win, win win!!!

I'll admit, I'm not a huge fan of the Dark Knight. Went to see it as I usually go see Batman movies and was like "eh". I thought Heath Ledger was "eh". And I know saying that is blasphemous as he became a great actor after dying of his drug overdose, but the psychotic, laughing madman is a pretty damn easy character to play. This is how a typical conversation goes when talking to a "Dark Knight" fan. "So you liked the movie?" "Loved it." "What did you love?" "Heath Ledger!" So take the whole "Heath Ledger died' factor out of the equation and do we have Batman raking in quite as much money as it did? The answer is no. "Dark Knight" was going to be a successful movie, but it got quite a bit of a bump when Ledger passed away. And since there is no Ledger in Batman 3, but everyone else will remain the same, both in front of and behind the camera, we'll see how well it does. Expect a huge drop off...I'm talking huge.

So lets enjoy the fact that we are in the golden age of Transformers. I've been there since the beginning and this is the best it's ever been. And for those who don't like the movie, realize that the success of the movie keeps toys on the shelves and gives us cool things like Transformers Animated. Trust me, we're much better off than Masters of the Universe. We could have ended up like that.

19. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

Yay we're #1!! after the 2 other guys

20. blackout501st

blackout501st ultimate enforcing hound

DAM!!! that is impressive. i hope that if they re tally everything, it ends up beating the dark knight. and in my mind, the reason this film is making so much money is because people dont give a flying fuck what the critics say, if thet think the film looks good, they will go and see it regardless if it gets bad reviews. so, if it dose surpass dark knight, maby that will finally shut the dam critics up and maby they will give it some respect.