Transformers: Beast Wars (2021 -) #2

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by Issy543, Mar 2, 2021.

1. SpiderMunky

SpiderMunky Half-spider, half-munky

Since the Vok basically spilled out their entire plan, I get the feeling things aren't going to go the same they did in the show with the Vok. They're watching things much more closely here and seem a lot less in control of the situation.

Unspoken Plan Guarantee - TV Tropes

• Like Like x 2
  2. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    Nobody said that she had Cheetor's personality, they said that she's taking his place in the narrative. i.e. she is the character who has the first outing, encounter, and will seemingly be the character who ends up in Tarantulas' web.

I feel like you either didn't actually read what was written or just really wanted to strawman an argument.

Well, that's kind of the only personality these characters have.

The difference is G1 had those disparities to start, on top of the fact that it wasn't nearly as defined and developed a cast as BW.

Also, I feel like if this was an all-new take on the BW concept you'd see less comparisons to the original cartoon, but it really isn't. It's largely the same cast, largely the same story, and largely the same characters. Of course comparisons are going to be drawn when it's so close to the original, especially something as unique to the brand as the original BW was an still is. The whole reason they're doing this Beast Wars comic is to capitalize on the nostalgia of the original.

Like I said last issue and will say again here: this just feels like a much less engaging version of the Beast Wars I already know. If it was a totally different take, setting, etc the way traditional TFs is, I'd not be drawing as many comparisons, but entire story beats are replicated and that's hard not to notice.

• Like Like x 2
  3. kaijuguy19

kaijuguy19 Keyblade Wielder

News Credits:
    The writer outright said at the very beginning that the comic series will start in a similar fashion of the original show before branching off to a new direction similar to the Marvel Ultimate series. So I don't see how anyone's surprised that he's keeping his word here about putting down similar beasts in only 2 issues in. Had the story still remained similar for 12 or 26 issues in and/or that he wasn't upfront about it then I can understand the complaint. But as it is I think we need to take a step back and not so hung up on how similar the plot line is to the original show so far.

As for the issue itself other the Vok and the Nyx centered story there's nothing truly game changing so far though we do get more insight on certain Predacon relationships in it.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2021
    • Like Like x 3
  4. Reask

Reask Predacon

I find it interesting that the Darksyde didn't crash on a lava lake but just some field. At the very least we won't be seeing the characters quickly killed in the lava so that's a plus. Maybe both ships aren't so badly damaged that we might see them actually succeed in taking off.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Necromaster

Necromaster FEAR ME MORTALS

News Credits:
    I think it's also worth noting that, coinciding with this, Terrorsaur's fair share of time in the limelight and thus far interesting reinterpretation as a thug who revels in violence means he might actually stick around for longer than he did in the show, maybe even getting Transmetallized if/when the comic reaches that point.

• Like Like x 4
  6. SpiderMunky

Yeah, we're in a position where we're assessing individual issues on a monthly basis when we might appreciate certain moments far more later on.

To be fair, we did see the Axalon succeed in takeoff... God, Victory was such a good episode.

• Like Like x 1
  7. GeoSociety

GeoSociety Lowering the Bar

The floating mountains really remind me of the game "a story about my uncle"

The fight scene was very well telegraphed too, and the Vok, definitely things picking up right off story wise.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Starscream0625

Starscream0625 We are Thunderwing

News Credits:
    It was good, I liked it. Issue #1 being an oversized edition made #2 feel a tad too short, though.

Introducing the Vok this early on was an interesting choice. I think it makes sense that if they're invested in their experiments on Earth(?) to the extent that they were in the cartoon or greater(?), then they'd be bound to investigate two alien ships that crashed. In terms of plot, I'd say the only other developments were Megatron having started his decoding of the Golden Disk and Terrorsaur capturing Nyx. There was a particularly cool segment of bickering between Dinobot and Tarantulas. The dialogue was particularly strong there, I thought -- Scott McNeill's and Alec Willows's voices were certainly present in my head. Showing off Megatron's rubber ducky at the end of the issue was pretty fun, too.[/ spoiler]

• Like Like x 1
  9. Joalro

Joalro Well-Known Member

So, I for one really am enjoying seeing the differences. I've watched Beast Wars like.. 8 times? I don't need to see it again in comic form, I want something new. In the first one I felt like it was mostly Optimus and Rhinox that were new, but this time I really felt new vibes from everyone... except Tarrantulus. Tarrantulus felt the same to me.

Seeing Dinobot remain predacon makes me happy. We all know he'll switch, that's just Dinobot DNA, but I really want to see more of him interacting with the Predacons. What is Predacon Dinobot like? That's something we didn't get to see a lot of before. Dinobot/Tarrantulus interaction was definitely my favourite part.

I personally found Cheetor obnoxious in early Beast Wars and felt the show got better when they took the focus off him, so I'm happy to see them not repeat that mistake.

I get everyone saying Nyx is the one in the web... but like... I really don't think they are going to do the exact same thing as the web, just with Nyx. So far NONE of the setup is actually the same.

The web was all about Cheetor being brash and Rattrap pushing his buttons and feeling guilty enough to go after him. Rattrap learns his lesson about egging others on, Cheetor learns his about being brash and impulsive. I mean, it's a lesson they both need to learn multiple times, sure, but it's a lesson they still got.

This time, Nyx wasn't out because of being wreckless, but was sent on an actual mission by Primal. She wasn't caught exclusively by Tarrantulus, she's in the predacon base under Megatron's control.

Other than the cover having Nyx on Tarrantulus' web, there isn't any reason to believe at this time it will go anything like that episode. [/SPOILERS]

• Like Like x 6
  10. Verno

Verno Beast Wars Collector

News Credits:
    Third episode. Third issue. Whether or not the story is the same, it's still clearly a reference to the original.

Everyone involved with this series has their work cut out for them. For the artists, you're being compared to Don Figueroa. For the writers, you're up against Bob and Larry. It's a hell of a task. It's both a good and bad thing that Beast Wars has had so little fiction over the years. Good that you can leave your mark on the franchise. Bad that the comparisons are so easy to make.

The good news for us is that Erik and Josh are both fans. I mean, look at Cheetor's "I'm not psychic, you little--" line in Issue #1. If intentional, that's a pretty deep reference to Cheetor's potential psychic abilities in the show -- a fan theory, not canon. This gives me confidence that we're in good hands.

Have I liked everything that's been done thus far? No, and I'll continue to be honest about those things if and when they arise as we got forward. But Beast Wars has never had an ongoing comic book series before. The Gathering and The Ascending were both 4-issue minis, bursting at the seems with... stuff (good and bad). An ongoing is a slow burn. It's a different beast. I have to remind myself to be patient.

• Like Like x 6
  11. ZeroBG82

ZeroBG82 Well-Known Member

This as a quick read, but still pretty solid. I actually enjoy the Predacon bits quite a bit more than the Maximal section so far. Scorponok, Tarantulus, Dinobot and the rubber ducky!

But I can't help feeling like a lot of this is being intentionally set up like the show specifically to bring us to some kind of swerve. The deliberation of the way they built Nyx's scouting mission, the way she stumbled across Predacons the same way Cheetor did in the show. And leading right into an obvious reference to the show's third episode next issue. By the end of the fifth or sixth issue I think we're going to see something go radically different, and this is all just priming us for it. Lulling us into a false sense of security. To me it makes the most sense given how closely they have held to so much of this early material, instead of doing more to break cleanly from the show's narrative.

I actually have a fairly radical theory already, based on one panel from this issue specifically. It's pretty crazy, and it feels awfully unlikely, so I'm keeping it to myself for now. I'll have to keep an eye out next month and see if there is anything else that might lend some credence to it. But even if I'm wrong, I'm not going to be the least bit surprised if there is a fairly significant wrench thrown into all our expectations relatively early on.

• Like Like x 5
  12. Verno

Verno Beast Wars Collector

News Credits:
    Let's hear it.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Joalro

Joalro Well-Known Member

Yeah, it's a reference. The point of the comic is to be a remix of the story, like Ultimate Comics spider-man. In the Ultimate universe, you'd still see similar characters, some parallel events (like Gwen Stacy dying), but things happen differently (Like Gwen Stacy coming back to life). Origin stories change. Characters change completely. Mary Jane was more nerdy in Ultimate Comics.

There will be plenty of nods to the original story, but things won't progress in the same way. Characters are going to be different.

I just find it strange to say Nyx is replacing Cheetor in a plotline that isn't at all similar, but simply contains a nod.

• Like Like x 2
  14. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    I mean, she is, but it's not like that's the biggest thing in the world or anything. It's just like a "huh, she's sort of taking Cheetor's place this go around."

Not every comment or observation is a criticism. Sometimes it's merely a comment or observation.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Dead Metal

Dead Metal Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I agree that she's kinda taking Cheetor's place for this series. And I think that's a good thing.
    Cheetor was the point of view character in early Beast Wars, so he had a lot of character moments and we got to know him well. Nyx is a new character and we know barely anything about her yet. Having her be the point of view now, gives her enough to do for us to accept her as a part of the team instead of having her be "this new guy that's kinda there".

But I get the suspicion that she's going to die.
    The beginning makes a point about how Cybertronians are able to process organic matter for fuel, Rhinox even gets very angry about Rattrap eating the fruit.
    The ending stinger says that Tarantulas is going to make everyone sick next issue, while Therorsaur holds Nyx, the cover for next issue has Nyx in his web, and the old show kept having Tarantulas expressing excitement over getting to eat someone.
    Dinobot and Tarantulas already hate each other and this might be how Maximal Dinobot is set up.

Plus the young excited Nyx finally getting her wings and coming out of her shell kinda mirrors Rubble from the ongoing.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Scrapmaker

Scrapmaker Haunting Your Nightmares in HD

I agree that Nyx's capture is probably part of the setup for Dinobot's defection, but I'm not sure it'll be her death that sets it off. Most likely, Dinobot will take Rattrap's role in The Web and be the one to aid Nyx's escape, defecting from the Predacons out of frustration with Megatron's leadership and disgust for the crew, such as for Terrorsaur's wanton thirst for violence and Tarantulas being a psychotic creep.

• Like Like x 5
  17. SpiderMunky

The Vok in Beast Wars were deliberately vague to emphasize their mystery and power. Their species wasn't even named or given a true face until Other Victories. Their tech were steeped in visual elements of real world conspiracy theories (Stonehenge, the obelisk with the All-Seeing Eye) to further the "No one really knows what they are" idea. In season 1, the aliens were meant to be the greater threat looming in the background, godlike beings above the tiny war of the Maximals and Predacons. Even their awe-inspiring planet buster was just a routine and dispassionate clean-up from afar.

In the IDW comic, the Vok are given individual names and faces immediately. They have a conversation where they reveal their squabbles and knowledge gaps to the audience. They show personal interest in the Maximal/Predacon conflict. And after the Vok leave, despite their secrecy, Tarantulas immediately detects them, so they're already making mistakes. There's clearly a different direction being taken here.

You can tell the writers for the original cartoon weren't quite sure what to do with the Vok. The best alien-focused episodes are Chain of Command and the Other Voices 2-parter, but every other Vok episode is... Not great. Other Visits part 2 is okay, while Other Visits Part 1, Other Victories, and both parts of The Trigger are some of the show's worst episodes. I'm optimistic we'll see them better implemented in the comic.

That would be a very different direction for the character. Not a bad thing, but different.

In the original cartoon, to put it bluntly... Dinobot starts out as an enormous asshole. The Predacon only joins the Maximals because he thinks Megatron is a coward (accurate) and incompetent (Not accurate, but nobody realized this until season 2), and he wants to beat Megatron.

In the early episodes of the series, Dinobot shows little concern over his teammates' lives. In the former Predacon's mind, they're only together in the first place to beat Megatron, and the only reason Dinobot's not in charge is because Primal proved he was stronger than him. In 'Equal Measures' Dinobot manipulates Cheetor's ego to send the young bot into the dangerous Energon storm, then hides this from the others. In 'Chain of Command', Dinobot is giddy at the chance to take command the moment Primal is gone. In 'Gorilla Warfare', Dinobot comes up with the ruthless idea of throwing the berserk Primal at the Predacons. And these are just the big moments; Dinobot is also constantly venomous and dismissive towards the other Maximals. Things change as the show progresses, but early season 1 Beast Wars Dinobot is less a former villain and more a villain forced to work with the heroes.

I know this is kinda like saying water is wet, but Dinobot's character arc is really good. The comic has big shoes to fill, but I like how it's already going in a different direction.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 5, 2021
    • Like Like x 3
  18. Necromaster

Necromaster FEAR ME MORTALS

News Credits:
    Bingo. Dinobot may have a sense of honor, but it's a sense of honor by Predacon standards. He still starts off as a tremendous asshole who consistently advocates for the most violent resolution to any situation because his MO was still one of conquest and military might. It's only around Episode 10 that we see him begin his shift over to the Maximal way of thinking, and while most of the episode is dedicated to a Cyberbee-corrupted Optimus ripping through the Predacons like they're all made of tinfoil, the cinematography and Primal himself draw attention to this. By the time of Maximal no more, he's changed so thoroughly that he realizes he can't go back to the Predacons, and then we get Code of Hero, AKA the best Transformers episode ever aired, just barely edging out Animated's Thrill of the Hunt and G1's Prime Target.

Comic Dinobot, by contrast, is clearly a regimented individual on a team of loosely organized sociopaths as Tarantulas is quick to spell out. He might not necessarily be "heroic" but he's clearly out of place already among the Predacons. It seems like he was expecting something more cohesive, more well-oiled and organized than this, and the reality of the situation is grating on him. I have reason to believe that his defection is not going to be out of believing Megatron to be incomptent, but his inner Predacon patriot becoming disillusioned with the team he's been saddled with less out of moral qualms and more out of disappointment that they're not acting like a proper military team.

• Like Like x 9
  19. supernova222

supernova222 junkion

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    felt short but nothing to be done about that. im trying to be a decent fan and treasure whats based on the series and appreciate whats different. here are my fav highlights.
    -enjoyed the expanded vok designs, characterizations and role
    -more time to see dinobot chafe with the other predacons so we can see WHY he really leaves
    -i also really like the look of dinobot with a wide upper body/shoulders in a way the show and wfc figure couldn't capture
    -like the focus on nyx but hope we get more cheetor going forward, which im sure we will. afterall, MTMTE did a lot with a huge cast so im confident.
    -like seeing optimus as a break from a standard military leader as a more "go with your gut" commander
    -since optimus is more like the uncle figure, it makes sense that rhinox be played as the strait man
    -like more spotlight on terrorsaur but how in general the preds are a dysfunctional nd self defeating entity.
    -dont know if like the idea of megs being so disconnected from his troops, but his obsession with the golden disks secrets from the get go is very interesting.

as i already have all the kingdom maximals, plus generations rhinox, my desire for a nyx figure grows with each issue so hasbro better get the ball rolling with that

Last edited: Mar 4, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  20. Scrapmaker

Scrapmaker Haunting Your Nightmares in HD

Oh, yeah, definitely.

Classic Dinobot is viciously pragmatic and ruthless, to say nothing of his ambitious nature rivaling Starscream. It's just that, unlike Screamer, he respects strength, and while he wasn't above underhanded tactics, he wasn't the type to betray his comrades, even ones he was only working with out of convenience to eliminate a mutual enemy.

I make my prediction based on his behavior in issue 1. He stops Terrorsaur from killing an unarmed and surrendering Maximal because it fulfills no purpose, and is clearly dissatisfied with Scorponok killing him anyway. Following that, he reprimands Terrorsaur for trying to fire on the Axalon while they're in Unspace, though this was more for self-preservation than for any moral objections - but he clearly isn't fond of Terrorsaur's violent streak, nor of Tarantulas' complete disregard for the orders he's been given in favor of pursuing his own agenda. I think @Necromaster has it right, this Dinobot is more militaristic and was expecting something more professional than what he's been saddled with.

• Like Like x 8