Transformers: Beast Wars (2021 -) #2

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by Issy543, Mar 2, 2021.

1. Issy543

Issy543 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    We’re being to see this series become its own thing:

• Turns out there is a third party within the planet; three floating entities, who have a stake in his war, as they are carrying out experiments and are worried about them being compromised. They also have the potential to spy on anyone.
    • Optimus Primal sends Nyx to survey the area, but unfortunately for her, Terrorsaur managed to defeat her, and offers Megatron a hostage.
    • Dinobot is at odds with Tarantulas.
    There is one humorous reference in this issue:

EB9286D5-1719-4767-B539-9B1302DAB602.png

This was a fun issue to read, and this new interpretation of Beast Wars continues to grow on me. Can’t wait for issue #3!

• Like Like x 3
  2. Verno

Verno Beast Wars Collector

News Credits:
    #2 just hit Comixology.
    The art got better as the issue went on. The initial pages with the Vok were a bit rough on the eye.

I'm not sure I like this take on the Vok. Individuality, names, contracted words, bickering.

The characters certainly aren't their TV show counterparts:
    • Rattrap is explaining science to Rhinox
    • Scorponok isn't a subordinate in temperament. Some would say this is an improvement, but every good dictator needs a mindless loyalist to see out their plans
    • Cheetor is busy fixing the ship
    • Nyx is taking Cheetor's role
    • Optimus Primal is fine with (and encourages) a crew member to go off on their own on an unknown planet
    Things like this will take some getting used to.

Edits:
    Page 12, Panel 5: Should that be "Input accepted", not "Impact accepted"?
    Page 24: Should that be "Tarantulas shocks everyone!", not "Tarantulas' shocks everyone!"?

• Like Like x 4
  3. Reask

Reask Predacon

Yeah if there's one thing I don't like about the comic is that Cheetor is completely sidelined. I love Cheetor for gods sake. Also I guess Rhinox is slipping into his Tankor phase fairly quickly. You know in the first episode of Beast Wars Optimus being the stern leader ordered Cheetor not to go exploring, and all of a sudden he tells Nyx to explore. Odd.

Why does Megatron need to decode the Golden Disk, I assume that's what he's trying to crack open but he should have already done that on Cybertron when the purpose of the disk is to give him Earth's location and where the Autobots are. Maybe it's something else entirely different and I'm jumping to conclusions. We'll see.

I do love seeing Dinobot interact more with Tarantulas gives us a different look at his relationship to the Predacons. I like Skold and that she needs to speak up a lot more is a cute character trait but, does a cute character belong in the horrifying lab of a nutjob like Tarantulas? And it might just be perspective but Rhinox is like a giant when Rattrap is in beast mode.

This issue felt a bit too short, had some fun moments, Waspinator is still cute but I'm not really looking for cute, it's Beast Wars we're looking for gunfire and violence with character development. I'll still keep reading though.

• Like Like x 3
  4. Dead Metal

Dead Metal Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    The art keeps distracting me and taking me out of the story.

I think it'S interesting how the characters are mixed up, I'm not entirely sure how I like that yet though. Especially Primal and Rinox are rubbing me the wrong way.

5. CryptiniteDemon

CryptiniteDemon Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I enjoyed the issue, but comics need to be longer. 20 pages is not enough. I think 40 pages is the sweet spot. As it is right now, it's half an episode every month. But whatever, not like my bitching is going to change the whole industry suddenly.
    • Colors are great. They're so vibrant and emotive.
    • Why is the duck already transmetalized?
    • The only thing that bothers me about the art are the feet. They're distractingly blocky
    • Given the limited space for narrative in this format, I thought it an odd choice to give 3 pages to introducing the VOK. We've already got 12 other characters that have to share razor thin amounts of dialog between 20 pages. Maybe develop those a bit first.
    • I keep giving Nyx Airazor's voice. I can't stop doing it.
    • Looks like next issue is The Web w/ Nyx instead of Cheetor. Speaking of... He almost isn't in the series so far. I wonder if that's intentional. I feel like the preds have gotten more page time than him even. Not necessarily a bad thing.
    • My favorite part was Dinobot's interaction with Tarantulas. I could hear Alec Willows so well in my head.

dontthink.png

• Like Like x 7
  6. Necromaster

Necromaster FEAR ME MORTALS

News Credits:
    A decent second outing! We get some good character moments here-- Megatron throttling Scorponok in frustration, Nyx being giddy at the prospect of using her new wings, Tarantulas and Dinobot butting heads. Unless we get proof that he's been working for the Tripredacus council in this universe again, I'm going to assume based on his dialogue that this version of Tarantulas is an opportunist and will gladly strike out on his own the instant that Megatron stops being of use to him. Like I said in the solicitation thread, I'm quite fond of the more individualized Vok designs, giving them all character without compromising the core design of being floating skulls with hair. Or tentacles. Whatever they actually are in practice.

The bit dedicated to Nyx flying is genuinely quite lovely. It's only a few panels, but we get to see her sweep over some beautiful locales. The jungle she shoots through is nicely detailed, with some monkeys clearly in the background. And the fight between her and Terrorsaur, while short, acts mostly as a stage setter for fights to come.

So the next issue seems like it's roughly going to be "The Web" but with Nyx this time, but I'm hoping they'll throw in some curveballs. The solicit for issue #4 indicates that Dinobot is going to play a key role this time around, so I hope that mixes things up nicely.

• Like Like x 4
  7. Reask

Reask Predacon

I've always liked seeing Dinobot interact with the Predacons and talk about his history with them in the show. His conversations with Terrorsaur in the 4th episode, Tarantulas in Code of Hero and with Waspinator in Coming of the Fuzors were always fun rarities so it's nice to see him be on speaking terms again.

Although I would have imagined that him being second in command he would be more assertive but no he gets the same amount of respect Scorponok got who thankfully looks a lot more competent in the comic than he was in the cartoon.

• Like Like x 5
  8. BattleUpSaber

BattleUpSaber Result.

News Credits:
    this is a stupid criticism, but I really think they should have come up with different names for Nyx and Skold.

look you're a Season 1-era Beast Wars character who's not Optimus or Megatron. You HAVE to have a really bad and cringy animal pun as your name

Should have worked in the words "bat" and "turtle" into the names somewhere is what I'm saying.

• Like Like x 6
  9. Reask

Reask Predacon

Turtle. Shellshock. Bat. ... Nightscream? Yeah I have no idea what to call that. :D 

10. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    This is a very slow-moving story. Maybe it's just because we're still retreading the basics of the series beginning, but it just feels like a slower, wordier, less exciting version of the show.

Nyx replacing Cheetor, and Cheetor being relegated to virtual non-entity, really does call to mind the point of the expansion of the cast. It's the same basic dynamics, but with one extra player. It also seems like she'll be the one in "the Web" next issue, which further feels like Cheetor's being skipped over. I mean, he was arguably one of the main characters and he's said almost nothing and done even less. No hyper-exuberance, no rebellious personality. In general I feel there's a startling lack of interplay between the Maximals. No Rattrap chastising Primal, no Cheetor being a brash young idiot, no Primal trying to hold the whole thing together. It's a lot of utilitarian talk of science and mechanics, little character dynamic. The best we get is Rhinox being kind of a dick to everyone, like he's annoyed to even be there. I guess it's something. (are they sowing REALLY early seeds for a Rhinox defect plotline in the future?)

I also feel like the threat of Energon exposure feels far less... extant when the characters spend plenty of time out of the base in robot mode. Even if there was work to do they usually did as much as they could in beast mode.

Snapper and Sonar, maybe? :D 

• Like Like x 3
  11. CryptiniteDemon

CryptiniteDemon Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    They address the energon effects. Cheetor says, "Hey Nyx, I think I figured out how to get another two meters of energon shielding around the ship." They're standing right on top of the ship the whole issue.

• Like Like x 6
  12. Rojixus

Rojixus I AM NOT YOUR ENEMY!

Well I certainly think the comic is off to a better start than the cartoon was, color me impressed.

• Like Like x 3
  13. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Why do I get the feeling the Energon poisoning plotline/handicap will be completely expunged sooner rather than later?

Also one interesting thing I noticed: it seems Terrorsaur can't fly in robot mode. He starts falling and shoots up as soon as he changes form. (also his "hinge cannons" on his shoulders are replaced with more pedestrian arm cannons in this, like Primal's)

• Like Like x 1
  14. Scrapmaker

Scrapmaker Haunting Your Nightmares in HD

Well, not sure how I feel about Nyx taking Cheetor's place in both being the first one to venture out away from the base and in the events of The Web going by the last page after Terrorsaur captures her. I get it, Nyx is new and needs some time to shine - and having Cheetor blunder into old plots would be retreading a story that was already told. That said, doing them with a new character is still retreading an old plot.

Nonetheless, I liked that they didn't keep beating around the bush and just revealed that the Vok are watching the conflict play out. I also liked that they had Rhinox call out that wherever they are, nothing about the planet makes any sense. So, if this is Earth, which is likely given Tarantulas expressed familiarity with the coordinates in Issue 1 and Beast Wars was all about time travel anyway, this finally tells us for certain that utterly backwards geography and wildlife/fossil distribution was the work of the Vok. That could always have been inferred in the original show, but this answers the question right out the gate.

• Like Like x 4
  15. Necromaster

Necromaster FEAR ME MORTALS

News Credits:
    I noticed that too! I think it might be a nod to how stumpy his wings become on his animation model when he assumes his robot formation, but I couldn't tell you for certain. At any rate, it adds a bit of extra flavor to his takedown of Nyx and his character as a whole. For all of the weird character choices that have been happening so far (I agree that Cheetor being kind of a nonentity thus far kinda sucks, but we're only two issues in, I'll be patient) Terrorsaur's been getting some of the best moments whenever he shows up.

• Like Like x 6
  16. SpiderMunky

SpiderMunky Half-spider, half-munky

Felt like this issue is spinning its wheels a bit too much. Very exposition heavy. The character interactions that aren't pure exposition are great, but there isn't enough of it.

There's also a divide between the characters doing the talking and the characters doing the action. If the climax of this issue is Terrorsaur attacking Nyx, I feel it needs to spend more time with Terrorsaur and Nyx rather than the Vok chatting about their plan or Tarantulas talking to Dinobot. World-building for the future is good, but the story still needs to be exciting on its own.

I'm being rather harsh, but I like the new story and I want to get to know these characters better. Like I said, the individual moments are great; I especially enjoy Nyx's reaction to Primal telling her to scout ahead, and Scorponok immediately ordering Waspinator to the job that Megatron told Scorponok to do. I just need more, and this feels like a step down from the first issue that handled that really well.

17. CelticMutt

CelticMutt Herald of Thundercracker

Mainframe Cheetor - brash, hyperactive, more than willing to shirk his duties in order to have fun

Nyx - immediately clamps down on her own enthusiasm and desire to test out her wings because her duty to the ship and crew comes first, and has to be convinced by Primal to go out and have fun

Yup, Nyx is totally taking Cheetor's place.

I feel like a lot of people here are having and are going to continue having a real hard time separating these characters from their Mainframe personality. Well hey, welcome to the world of G1 fans, who got used to things like Sunbow Grimlock being an imbecilic child while Marvel Grimlock was Conan the barbarian with a speech impediment, or Sunbow Blaster being a happy go lucky fellow while Marvel Blaster was a war scarred veteran, right from the start of the franchise. Different mediums are going to give the characters different personalities. You either accept it, or you will never be happy.

• Like Like x 14
  18. Coffee

Coffee (╭☞ꗞᨓꗞ)╭☞

News Credits:
    Definitely a lot of set up this issue, though it's setup for plot elements we know that happen in the cartoon, which I'm still unsure about. On the one hand I like the fact that the Maximals just straight up know about these things at the start since it makes room for the reveal of new elements while still including these facets of the original setting in the series, but on the other it is a LOT of setup and not for anything particularly new. Some of it feels like we are filling gaps, like the discussion of the Vok over whether to blow up the Maximals and Predacons or not. It was a cool scene because the Vok look spectacular in Josh's art style, but I'm not sure what it has added aside from establishing that the Vok would be in this series and will be fulfilling much of the same role.

I don't think it's fair to say Cheetor is being sidelined from the series. I mean, yeah he is being sidelined in a story that was essentially his introduction and replaced by Nyx for the role, but I doubt it will stay this way. His "I'm not psychic line" in the first issue suggests more is going to be done with him at least. I just hope they don't strip him of his "kid-appeal" completely, which I think is the bigger threat to his change in character since it might take away some of the key elements of what made him interesting in the name of dispelling what some people might call a childish trope.

It's hard for me to judge this series still, but I am a bit worried we're going to be treading much of the same ground, in fact I think most of what we've seen so far has been little connecting dots in reference to things that have happened in the show, which is not what I really want this series to be.

I think my favourite parts of this issue are the small interactions like Dinobot and Tarantulas showing their pre defection dynamic, and the way Megatron literally picks up Scorponok by the tail and drops him outside. Also the art, Josh is really putting his all in some of these character interactions and it's paying off. The mouths-on-the-corner-of-the-face to show perplexion still doesn't jive with me, since I think when it's used a lot it comes off as a lack of expressive diversity, but it's more a nitpick on my end than anything.

Least favourite part is the actual plot so far. It's nothing new or interesting, and all that's there is for us to hyper-analyze the smallest interactions of the characters to look for something new. I don't think Rhinox is going to be Tankor-like or evil, I think he is just reacting to Rattrap the same way he did in the original series, but because all we are seeing him in are confrontational scenes, it's easy to think he's different. Maybe he is! But there is so much jumping from character to character for the sake of expositing about the world without dedicating a single issue to one character-focused story that I think it has become difficult to pin down any specific character traits or dynamics. Except for Rattrap, he's pretty much established as being Rattrap.

• Like Like x 6
  19. JustAnotherCassette

JustAnotherCassette Lurker no more

Nice issue, maybe I’m still just too happy to see these characters walking and talking again, but I don’t feel like the lack of action is a big problem yet especially when compared to IDW2 Transformers. Nyx is growing on me and now I’m looking forward to seeing more of Skold.

I actually like how all the characters are slightly different from their Cartoon counterparts. And since a single comic issue is pretty short, we have had only two issues so far, and there are lots of characters, we probably need a few more issues for everyone to get their due. I’m sure Cheetor will get his turn soon enough.

I like the art well enough but the lack of backgrounds continues to detract from the overall picture, literally; the panels just feel too empty a lot of the time. When there are proper backgrounds, like when Nyx is flying around, the art looks so much more complete and it would be great to have more of that in the rest of the book.

• Like Like x 4
  20. Scrapmaker

Scrapmaker Haunting Your Nightmares in HD

Alright, yeah, fair enough.