Transformers: Beast Wars (2021 -) #1

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by Issy543, Feb 2, 2021.

1. Issy543

Issy543 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    A familiar, yet new way to open the series:
    • Megatron has the Predacons raid a science building, in order to purse the artefact known as the Golden Disk
    • Optimus Primal and Rhinox are training, when they suddenly get the call to action!
    • A ship fight between the Maximals and Predacons occurs, but ends up with both sides crashing into the planet, and donning new forms.
    • Megatron declares war...
    Seeing the animals during the alternate mode scan scene was pretty cool:
    61CE972A-BD82-4758-861A-C3C42E3C0BD2.jpeg

The creative team have definitely done a good job in this issue, and it’s a great way to celebrate the 25th anniversary of Beast Wars:Transformers. These characters are definitely in save hands, and have a vibe similar to the Marvel Ultimate Comics.

Can’t wait for the next issue!

• Like Like x 11
  2. Reask

Reask Predacon

It was fun. A little bit too similar to what came before but I enjoyed it. Felt like a Transformers Animated version of the series, especially loved the look of Waspinator too for the same reason. Not too keen on purple head Terrorsaur based on his original toy and Dinobot with seeker wings on his arms? Strange. But that's nitpicking I liked it. :) 

• Like Like x 2
  3. SuperTitanHans

SuperTitanHans Upgraded

News Credits:
    I liked it, but the main thing reading this made me think is what an incredible job those original BW writers did with the setup. Genius really.

Let’s see where it goes from here.

• Like Like x 4
  4. Necromaster

Necromaster FEAR ME MORTALS

News Credits:
    The first issue was a lot of fun! Rattrap is pitch-perfect here and absolutely steals the show whenever it cuts to the Axalon crew. Don't have a whole lot to work with regarding Nyx or Skold personality-wise yet, but they feel like perfectly welcome additions to the core cast.

One key change I think is interesting is that instead of the two ships crippling one another in a dogfight on the way down, the Axalon straight-up rams the Darksyde and causes them both to crash. Kinda surprised that didn't kill the protoforms if I can be perfectly honest. And speaking of whom, I see you, Protoform X...

Other than that, they kind of hearken back to Marvel G1 by having the ship's computer reformat them while they're unconscious. The scanning sequence is fantastic, saying so much with so little.

I will say I fully appreciate the restraint Burnham has displayed so far. Another writer might've gone full throttle with the attempted fanwank, but Burnham hasn't had them throwing around their catchphrases yet. Megatron says "yes" once while talking to the Tripredacus council, but Dinobot never once talks about honor, only pride-- similar concept, but not too on the nose. Most of the characters feel like they should-- like I said, Rattrap sounds pitch-perfect, Megatron and Dinobot are pretty in line with what we know, and Tarantulas doesn't get a whole lot of panel time compared to the others but is a delight whenever he gets a line. The only ones that feel really changed to me are Terrorsaur and Scorponok, the latter of whom I would argue feels like an improvement, and Primal and Cheetor, Primal feeling a bit more Rodimus-like which isn't necessarily a bad thing and Cheetor being weirdly more cautious and forward-thinking this time around. This is one change that actually does feel kind of jarring, considering that this is a character who was defined by his abject stupidity for... well, the vast majority of Beast Wars if I'm being perfectly honest.

I think Skold might actually speak with a bit of a stutter. She's only had three lines of dialogue, but two out of three samples have s-segments where she talks l-like this. I assumed the first example was her being thrown off by the explosions, but now I'm thinking this is just the way she talks.

Admittedly not too many changes if you've watched the first few minutes of the opening episode of Beast Wars, but from here on out the sky is the limit. Looking forward to whatever these two cook up!

Last edited: Feb 3, 2021
    • Like Like x 8
  5. Reask

Reask Predacon

Spoilers for what may be:

Looking back on the interview in this there's a massive 'hint' that we'll see the Vok. We can already see the second moon and several floating structures, they might be new or they might just be the floating mountains of Energon Terrorsaur once found. Even still it makes me think what other weird alien creations we'll see.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Gregatron

Gregatron La Li Lu Le Lo TFW2005 Supporter

I liked it. I'm going to keep reading this.

I liked at the end of the issue they had a page each for Nyx and Skold so I could see what their robot modes and beast modes looked like. I was also a fan of the page showing all their Cybertronian forms.

Based on how Nyx looks, I could easily see them making some changes to Kingdom Airazor, and making Nyx a Selects release. I don't when we'd see a Skold release. I would like to see toys for both of them.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Novaburnhilde

Novaburnhilde シン・ブリュンヒルド

News Credits:
    Got through the first issue and liked it well enough, I guess. I don't really have too much to say yet as naturally the story is just beginning.

Still loving the art style, Waspinator's pre-beast head reminds me a lot of Animated Wasp and I'm kind of surprised how short Skold is apparently compared to the others when I assumed she'd be more like Lugnut in size or something. I also like how they kept the Tripredacus council's designs from the show but they clearly have colors reminiscent of their toys.

• Like Like x 2
  8. BattleUpSaber

BattleUpSaber Result.

News Credits:
    Not a whole lot to say about this; it sure does feel a lot like episode 1 of Beast Wars (with a bit of Dawn Of Future's Past thrown in).

With any luck, this series will become something special in the future. The cartoon took a while to find its stride after all.

• Like Like x 8
  9. Necromaster

Necromaster FEAR ME MORTALS

News Credits:
    Josh did state that she'd be pretty Brawn-esque, so this was roughly what I had been expecting. Wider than she is tall, and incredibly tough to compensate for being vertically challenged.

• Like Like x 5
  10. Nova Maximus

Nova Maximus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Just read it and I rather enjoyed. Very much some of Beast Wars Episode 1 + some of Dawn Of Future's Past, but still enjoyable for what it is. I am still ready for more issues as even with Beast Wars I didn't think it would be all that great just by the first few episodes (and boy was I wrong).

The art is growing on me more, with the only thing I didn't really like was how Optimus's Cybertronian head was drawn (oh such a deal breaker I know). But Josh's colours like always are just godly.

Also I like how this planet has the floating rock formation's like in Avatar, adding more to the mystery of if this is prehistoric Earth or not (ignoring that their beast modes are the way they are).

Float.PNG Float2.PNG

• Like Like x 3
  11. GeoSociety

GeoSociety Lowering the Bar

Definitely feels like an TFA type adaptation to the original Beast Wars, from the story to the artstyle. I wonder how they'll adapt other things from the show or spin out original ideas since they said in an interview the "big twist" may be something different.

• Like Like x 8
  12. PrimeSmokescreen 04

PrimeSmokescreen 04 Well-Known Member

Love the art style and the characterization, not much else to say honestly...

• Like Like x 1
  13. SpiderMunky

SpiderMunky Half-spider, half-munky

Excited to see how this goes. I'm liking the more back-and-forth dynamic between Rhinox and Primal.

Skold is tiny!

It seems like Megatron either wasn't planning on coming to Earth, or lied to his crew about what he is actually planning. Since crashing on the "wrong" planet was what prompted Dinobot to rebel against Megatron and subsequently defect, this opens up an interesting can of worms: How and when will Dinobot leave the Predacons in this continuity?

• Like Like x 2
  14. Robcbh

Robcbh Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I really liked the first issue. I felt like it delineated enough from the source material, by including the Cybertronia stuff, couple of new characters, and some different attitudes with characters. I always felt like there was SO MUCH MORE to explore in the BW show and I really hope this gets a lengthy run - 40-50 issues at least to really flesh out some of the ideas that were hinted at in the show. I enjoy the art style, it's really dynamic. The smallest complain I have is the variant covers leave a lot to be desired.

I think in the show his defection was perfect. But with a more long-form telling of the story they could drag it out and make it really meaningful. We already saw glimpse of some descension between how Dinobot operates and some of the rest of the Predacons.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2021
    • Like Like x 5
  15. DaveWire

DaveWire Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    While I’m not entirely sold on the art style, I did like seeing the pre-beast forms of the cast. I also liked the story which didn’t stray too far from what we know, but also opened new storytelling possibilities.

Also, did the Axalon’s redesign look a tad bit similar to another infamous IDW Transformers craft?

0E872C90-223E-4515-BC6B-CE7951FF7E73.jpeg

upload_2021-2-3_14-23-2.jpeg

The angular design and red “quills” on the back definitely make me think Burcham (who had done coloring work for More Than Meets the Eye) was at least inspired by the Lost Light.

• Like Like x 7
  16. Scarlet knight

Scarlet knight Emergency Food Connoisseur

News Credits:
    Where can I get this issue?

17. Starscream0625

Starscream0625 We are Thunderwing

News Credits:
    • Like Like x 2
  18. shadow panther

shadow panther Mechanically Insane

News Credits:
    I loved the story, hated the art

19. Starscream0625

Starscream0625 We are Thunderwing

News Credits:
    This was pretty good. Beast Wars isn’t my favorite continuity, but I’ve been rewatching the series in anticipation of the Kingdom figures and this first comic issue stays true-to-form. Like others have been saying though, there’s plenty of room to diverge from the original storyline. And even with it staying close to the source material, it was still accessible. A “layperson” could pick this up and know what was going on, even if they hadn’t seen the cartoon. Writing was solid, too — I could hear the voice cast as I read the lines.

• Like Like x 2
  20. Zor El

Zor El Member

I really enjoyed it and I loved seeing them on Cybertron before they get their beast forms.

We've already been told that it's gonna start off like the show but then go off in its own direction so I wasn't bothered by Issue #1 being so similar to the first episode.

Also please don't pirate this, look for your own comic store at comicshoplocator.com or buy it digitally from Comixology Transformers: Beast Wars #1 - Comics by comiXology

• Like Like x 7