Transformers at Universal Studios (in 1985)

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Scaleface, Nov 11, 2016.

1. Scaleface

Scaleface Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Found this clipped from a June 14, 1985 issue of the LA Times. Thought it was cool. Near impossible to read in the picture, but I found an online OCR of the article.

--
    Four new attractions added at Universal Studios

Universal Studios Tour has announced the addition of four new attractions. Universal's special effects stage underwent a facelift on its third set called "2010," based on the film "2010: The Year We Make Contact." Tour volunteers will take part in a space walk. The attraction uses essentially the same techniques used in the film, in many cases the same props. The first demonstration involves motor control with a process used to, among other things, make spaceships appear to fly through the universe. Actual models of Russian and American ships from the film are used in the demonstration. Also added to the tour is Production Central, an audio-visual presentation showing current behind-the-scenes motion picture and television filming. Production Central allows guests to see actual filming on the lot where their visit might otherwise be restricted. Many of Universal's stars host the segments, including David Hasselhoff, star of "Knight Rider" and Jameson Parker, star of "Simon and Simon." Also featured is "Universal Studios Coming Attractions Showcase," located in the Entertainment Center. The showcase will have a stand-up screening room with large-screen projection and high-quality sound. Five to eight trailers of unreleased films will be previewed two to three times an hour. The screening area is surrounded with exhibits and props from features arid related music videos. Back to entertain those on tour are the Transformers. The Transformers' base camp and photo spot will be the headquarters from which Transformers will plan their missions and meet tour guests. Guests will meet Transformers Jazz, Starscream and Grimlock and have their picture taken with Optimus Prime and Megatron. All attractions are included in the price of admission, including live shows and tram tour of Universal's 420-acre back lot. For additional information, call (818 ) 508-9600.

latimes.jpg

I looked it up, and sure enough there was a Transformers Base Camp at Universal Studios back then, here are some pictures I saw online...

theStudioTour.com - Universal Studios Hollywood - Transformers

The Transformers Tour (1985 - 1986) - ByYourCommand.net Gallery

• Like Like x 3
  2. Macross7

Macross7 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I went to that. Shook hands with Starscream. Grimlock was going off stage. The actor did his homework since he did the "Me Grimlock" speech pattern when he was going backstage.

Got a photo of me on Megatron.

Still have the badge with Jazz on it. Look at it one way is robot mode. Look at another way is car mode.

Other cool things there was the Delorean from Back to the Future near where guests got on the tour tram. Knight Rider's KITT was there and guests could sit in the seat. There was a person somewhere with a camera looking in the car and he could speak through the speakers. I asked KITT about Turbo Boosting and he said he had turned it off since we would fly over the people in front of him.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2016
    • Like Like x 3
  3. CaptainSlayer

CaptainSlayer Bayfomer Fan

Man, this sounds awesome. I loathe Starscream and would love to shake his hand. Too bad this was 7 years before I was born. :confused: 

Hell, I didn't even get into Transformers much until 2014 when I joined up. Regardless, I want to meet Jazz now.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Murasame

Murasame

News Credits:
    Nice :D 

5. BLACK BATTLE RODIMUS CONV

BLACK BATTLE RODIMUS CONV Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Instagram:
    That's awesome! I would i have loved to have visited the transformers base camp. The suits remind me of giant action masters figures and poor Megatron looks like he is suffering from heat stroke.

6. Eurobeatking

Eurobeatking Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Wow,nice find,I remember that,but sadly I missed out on that and then they had moved onto the Ninja Turtles experience.

7. MnemonicSyntax

MnemonicSyntax Cause precedes effect. Effect leads to cause.

News Credits:
    Wow, those costumes are terrible.

8. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    That is really cool and I never knew about this until now.

9. jamarmiller

jamarmiller S.K.A.R. LEADER

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    yeah I remember this foundly. I remember being asked by starscream if I watched the show and at that time I had not because I never knew when it was on. I had a few of the toys though and of course loved them . I remember really wanting Megatron from the store there as it was the first time I had seen it but my Mom and Dad said no.

a little time later I was finally able to see the show on tv. Always remember this when thinking about Universal Studios

10. CaptainSlayer

CaptainSlayer Bayfomer Fan

So, just like the animation from G1.

:lol 

• Like Like x 1
  11. Gaastra

Gaastra Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Man I would have loved this as a kid. Universal had he-man also. Wish someone could find a video of the transformers at universal.

Well it was the 80s. Here are the universal he-man ones and the Disneyworld turtles ones to compare.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2016
  12. DecepticonSpike

DecepticonSpike Member of the Scrappy Doo Fan Club

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Does anyone remember a contest at Kings Island in Ohio had around 85 or 86? The grand prize was you got to hang out with the Transformers and the commercial show two people dressed as Jazz and Thundercracker.