Transformers at flea markets

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Gaastra, Apr 24, 2008.

1. Gaastra

Gaastra Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Anyone find any rare transformers at flea markets?

Just last i went to the huge flea market in our next town with my brother.

I only had $10 on me but went to get out of the house anyway.

We were a ways in it when i came across this guy selling a bunch of unopened gobots and robotech toys.

Then i saw it. A unopened Ginrai in japanese box complete.

The original not a knock-off or reprint!

Of course it was way out of my price range but i never thought i would find one at a flea market.

I went home sad that day.

2. sunnyswipe

sunnyswipe autobot

News Credits:
    there used to be loads of ko aerialbots at the indoor market in durham, sadly i was more into gamesworkshop than transformers at the time (roughly 6 years ago)thankfully im back on the straight and narrow now, and not a geek:wink: 
    come to think of it, some of my fondest memories are of drudging through a rainy car boot sale on a sunday morning, digging around to find hidden transformers!

3. Grimwing

Grimwing Scientist Supreme

News Credits:
    I go to goodwill all the time digging through bins for transformers. I found some g1's last year that I'm quite proud of: broken silverstreak, primes trailer, powermaster primes grey rifle, cliffjumper, eject, and shrapnel.

4. transfan_seek

transfan_seek Well-Known Member

i was on holidays and i found a box of g1s here was thrust 2x kup and a couple of others from later on
    it was the find that re sparked my hunting instincts
    i picked up the whole lot for five bucks

5. natendowii

natendowii Member

Man, I need to get out to the Flea Markets this summer, The meadowlands are a hotspot for some stuff

6. sixshot2K

sixshot2K Soundwave is #1!

I dont know were flea markets are were I live

7. Wingwolf77

Wingwolf77 Decepticon Dark lord

used to be good. But I have found that most of the G1 and G2 has dried up.

8. Voiceroy

Voiceroy Trans-fo-mahs!

News Credits:
    Well, if you didn't put "Location: why do you care?" in your profile, maybe we could help you out, ay? :throw 

I've posted about my flea market/thrift store finds here on a number of occasions. And while none of the ones I've found have exactly been "rare", some of these finds are rare considering where they were found:

G2 Slag
    G1 Galvatron
    Japanese Go-Bots Tigertron
    G1 Optimus Prime
    Armada Unicron
    Powerlinx Optimus Prime

I believe my most valuable haul to date was the bag of loose G1 toys and parts that were all in superb condition. The bag included:

Cosmos
    Bumblebee
    Warpath
    Drag Strip
    Dead End
    Ramjet
    Hoist
    Blitzwing
    ...as well as assorted parts for Metroplex, seekers, combiners, etc.

Cost of the bag: $5.

9. yo-man2

yo-man2 Well-Known Member

any good markets in the philly area?

10. Optimus Prime

Optimus Prime TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Back when I was really little, I used to get most of my Transformers from fleamarkets. That's where all of my G1 Transformers came from. Every summer I look for G1 TFs at flea markets, but they have all but disappeared; last summer I was at about 5 major flea markets and the only Transformers I saw were sealed Star Wars Transformers and a McDonald's Armada Optimus Prime...

11. shroobmaster

shroobmaster Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Complete Scorponok once.

Too bad I hate Scorponok and didn't get it!

12. twee

twee Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Flea markets all but went extinct in Southern California in the 90s. :( 

13. Voiceroy

Voiceroy Trans-fo-mahs!

News Credits:
    You might try posting a query about flea markets in the Pennsylvania Sightings Thread here at TFW2005.

Otherwise, just do a simple Google search for "Philadelphia flea market". I see a few listed just in the first 10 search results, such as this one:

http://www.philadelphia-fleamarket.com/

14. Codimus Prime

Codimus Prime Missouri Toy Hunter

Haven't been to a flea market in a while. Lots of garage sales around here though. Try to go once a week. Haven't found much in a while, but sometimes it pays to look.

15. ShadowStitch

ShadowStitch vectoring the hate plague

News Credits:
    I went to his flea market one time back around 2001...there was this one booth filled with filthy old half-broken, incomplete 80's toys on cheap metal shelves... y'know, a bunch of bedraggled Cabbage Patch kids, scratched up Teddy Ruxpins, and My Little Ponies that looked like the dog had been chewing on them.... this place was where ebay auction fodder goes to die.

I asked the little old lady manning the booth, smoking a cig and rocking in her chair, if she had any robot toys...I thought I might be able to pick up a few junkers. She sat up and wheeled over a rubbermaid cart, opened the drawers, and inside were incredibly mint g1 figures, all neatly arranged in zip-lock bags with their accessories. I remember seeing Sideswipe, Soundwave, Bluestreak, a complete set of Constructicons...

I should have been suspicious at this point, but I figured she might be clueless about what she had... A clueless, obsessive-compulsive organization freak.

I asked her, "How much for the green ones?" And I swear to god, this little old lady goes, "The Constructicons? Those are 75, but only because Scrapper's missing his gun, and Bonecrusher's got some sticker wear. I have a better set, but those are a hundred."

My jaw missed the floor by inches. :jawdropper:  This lady actually knew her shit.

I didn't bother asking about anything else, just nodded sagely and walked off calmly, pretending I wasn't seriously considering grabbing the whole rubbermaid cart and making a mad dash for the door.

16. BigRC83

BigRC83 I'm singing in the rain

News Credits:
    I do not know any in San Diego. But the Pasadena Rose Bowl Flea Market and the Long Beach Flea Market are great.

17. jorod74

jorod74 Psycholagnist (Ret.)

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    we got a roadside flea market called Sadies on the highway running straight to Florida. it is a mudhole, and there are vendors that sprout up every few months or odd year with a toy extravaganza.
    Best friend (impatient kid at the time) saw the guy selling his lot of SW. the guy kept his figs in those plastic storage bins for nuts and bolts and things that you find at Lowe's, and when he moved it over to the counter, he revealed a MIB Trypticon. the box was about C-8 @ best, but had every damn thing.
    He offered to throw in a pack of batteries with it for 110 bucks at the time (2001).
    i hated to walk away from it. I had about 65 bucks and a week more till payday...sigh.

18. Feralstorm

Feralstorm Good Morning, Weather Hackers! TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Around me Flea Market dealers usually either charge too much for too little (on TFs, and they know what they have) or it's the grab bag of crap. Great if you like seeker jet bodies with no wings/hands/parts though. :) 

19. BaronV

BaronV MonsterOfTheWeek.com

The Long Beach Flea Market has some vendors with some G1 stuff last year when I visited. I did buy the limited edition Art Asylum Optimus Prime and Megatron wall statues from Goodwill last year for $15 each. Sold them off for 2x-3x on eBay.

20. llamatron

llamatron OFFICIAL MMC REP TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Instagram:

Did you donate the profits back to Goodwill? BECAUSE YOU SHOULD HAVE.

Not really many flea markets in this area. I believe the G1/G2 well has pretty much dried up beyond eBay and professional dealers.