Transformers as a feudal warrior culture

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by QLRformer, Feb 4, 2017.

1. QLRformer

QLRformer Seeker

News Credits:
    Most TF stories feature the Cybertronians as a peaceful culture that was overcome by tryrants and so started off the eternal clash between good and evil.

It's an appropriate origin, but sometimes I think that instead, the Cybertronians are more a feudal warrior culture and should be portrayed as such. I think that culture fits the Transformers better with them being machines of war, and with them being unable to stop their own blood feud. TF is a war story after all, and those kind of stories have one war go on or a war ends and then another inevitably starts after it, (eg Star Wars)

Other reasons are as follows:
    It's more in line with their Japanese origin, Japan having a history of fictional shonen warriors and actual historical warriors. (The same could be argued with other warrior cultures around the world, but Japanese is the most relevant and arguably the most awesome warrior culture)

It defines Megatron and Optimus Prime as warriors, with different dimensions to their characters: one is a warrior who won't stop and doesn't want to stop fighting, and the other is a warrior who understands the value of peace and justice. (Something like this was seen in TF Armada, where Optimus and Megatron were accused of keeping their war going and thus keeping Unicron alive)

Does anyone understand and agree with this?

• Like Like x 2
  2. Jochimus

Jochimus Sandwiches? Blimey, whatever did I give the wife?

I'd be down for it.

• Like Like x 1
  3. greboguru

greboguru Psychedelic Brainchild

Well, an argument can be made that a Cybetron actually was an is a feudal warrior culture.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Windsweeper II

Windsweeper II The Pristine

News Credits:
    I am never a big fan of the whole honour, courage etc posturing that comes with this kind of stuff, but if the kind of portrayal you desire keeps those kind of romanticisms to a minimum and otherwise tries to steer clear of cliché it could be an original take i guess.

• Like Like x 2
  5. QLRformer

QLRformer Seeker

News Credits:
    I don't recall any TF fiction mentioning that Cybertron had ever taken to militancy before. I hope you can provide some examples.

That's true, there's a fine line between a villain and an anti-hero and it takes skill to have a villain have enough empathy that you understand them, but you can't forget that they do terrible things.

But coming off the live-action films that pretty much steer away from the romanticism of war and portray humans as fearful and selfish, I wouldn't really mind a bit of idealism of both good and evil.

6. moreprimeland

moreprimeland Optimus told me to do it! Moderator

News Credits:
    Somebody made a T shirt about it.... I would like it. :D 

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 6
  7. DOTM Bumblebee

DOTM Bumblebee Funny Little Man

I think we're getting something like that with the current direction of the Transformers Cinematic Universe. There was a lot of talk in AOE about how Optimus Prime was the last of the legendary knights, plus the Dinobots being knights, too, so maybe the Creators made the Transformers to be warriors and knights.

Come to think of it, I think the Knights of Cybertron that are the ultimate goal to find in Transformers: More Than Meets The Eye might also be incorporated under that idea. I think either Rodimus or Drift said that they left Cybertron to "civilize the galaxy".

• Like Like x 3
  8. Windsweeper II

Windsweeper II The Pristine

News Credits:
    I always expected that when they do find the knights, they would actually turn out to be not the nicest guys.
    And they do seem to be crusader types.
    Maybe the knights will turn out to be something like the Cybertronian empire.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Megasquared

Megasquared Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    First google search image for shonen warrior revealed this:

shonen_warriors__ninja___naruto_uzumaki_by_ironclark-d8qx4yg.png

10. SerBuckman

SerBuckman DIRECT RULE FROM CYBERTRON

I'd like that. Maybe all the high ranking Autobots and Decepticons could get formal titles to reflect their status as feudal lords (like how Straxus styles himself as "Lord High Governor")

• Like Like x 1
  11. WishfulThinking

WishfulThinking "Don't touch it! It's Zvil!"

News Credits:
    I always thought that, if Hasbro ever got rights to the Brave series toy line, that the Brave characters would be able to fit into some kind of storyline similar to this.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Murasame

Murasame

News Credits:
    I like

13. That Guy

That Guy Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    IDWverse had the 13 Primes as warlords before Galvatron rose up and helped Nova Prime establish the Dynasty of Primes. After they left there was a strict class system installed, so while those aren't purely feudal it may be of interest to you to read them if you're looking for something similar.

14. Novaburnhilde

Novaburnhilde ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

News Credits:
    I like it.

I'd enjoy reading / watching a Transformers story that had this kind of culture as their backstory. Even though I think over the years they've occasionally had similar concepts.

• Like Like x 1
  15. moreprimeland

News Credits:
    That's because of your viewing history... this is what comes up when I search: :D 

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  16. Megasquared

News Credits:
    Sure you didn't type Shogun warrior and not shonen warrior? Also I don't like shonen anime so there no chance in hell I that I would search for shonen anime.

17. moreprimeland

News Credits:
    The words SHOGUN Warrior is huge on the toy, can't be missed... search results are based on your browsing history... but you can mess or mix it up by keeping your history deleted. :D 

Doesn't matter, I love the Prime one that one the RIPT T Shirt the best anyway. :thumb 

18. Megasquared

News Credits:
    No the idea was to search for SHONEN warrior.

19. QLRformer

QLRformer Seeker

News Credits:
    And my google search for "shonen" warrior revealed this:
    [​IMG]

I don't know the guy with the fish, but the rest are warrior races of a warrior culture (Saiyans, samurais, ninjas, pirates) and are good examples of my point.

But as you said, shonen doesn't appeal to you.

20. Ryan F

Ryan F Transform and Roll Out!

News Credits:
    Always had Cybertron down as more akin to ancient Greece/Rome than feudal Japan, personally.

Gladiatorial fights, amphitheatres, city-states, a senate, triumvirates etc. etc. Even the name 'Cybertron' itself is practically Greek.

• Like Like x 5