Transformers Animated Season 4: The Trial of Megatron Discussion

Discussion in 'Transformers Cyberverse and Cartoon Discussion' started by Sol Fury, Aug 17, 2019.

1. MegaDolrailer

MegaDolrailer Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Wait so Lugnut dies or what? if so that sucks!

• Like Like x 1
  2. MegaDolrailer

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    If it's any consolation we've already seen what Animated PM Optimus looks like

• Like Like x 1
  3. Novaburnhilde

Novaburnhilde Neoseed

News Credits:
    Despite it being pretty clear this was an early draft, this was still interesting to read. Wish I could've been there to hear it.

A few things, though:
    Sorry to say but she wasn't 'approaching' Mary sue territory, she had become one by Season 3. I don't really dislike the character but she's definitely way too fanfic-tier for my liking. She's a girl who befriends and becomes best buddies with the Autobots, then basically becomes a surrogate child of them, then it's revealed she's a Cybe herself and gets a super powerful new body that basically puts her on the level of Optimus. Even if the show did a better job making this idea work, it's still a pretty bad idea.

1. I believe this stuff takes place before Megatron gets his triple-changer body and goes crazy, but it's not that far of a stretch anyway since Megatron is a coldblooded tyrant, I doubt he'd have any qualms about using some of his own men as a fuel source since he's had no issue threatening them before and if it could be justified for being for the 'greater good' of their cause. Lugnut willingly doing so also makes perfect sense. Megatron is bad, the show did a good job establishing this, why are we shocked by him doing bad things? We don't even know how many are tossed in, do we? It could be 2 or 3 + Lugnut, there'd be plenty of other Cons to take their place to develop them and flesh them out.

2. Too dark? This show has already had plenty of dark moments sprinkled all throughout it, having Megatron use some of his guys for fuel doesn't even approach Wasp becoming a mentally deranged psycho after being wrongfully convicted of something he didn't do, Blurr's sudden and morbid fate, Arcee losing her memory after being repaired, the cult-like Decepticon branding ritual, honestly Megs being able to use his charisma to get the trust of Sari's dad behind all their backs is way more dark than this moment being described. :lolol 

• Like Like x 3
  4. Digger

Digger Sharing peace, love and MP Cliff ≠ retool

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Yeah it’d be cool if he survived barely. Like he gets caught on the side of a wall. Maybe he even has a kind of subtle change in what he thinks about Megatron.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Honorbound

Honorbound The Working Hermit

The idea of Megatron literally using his troops as fuel is perfect for the character - it proves once and for all that his true motto is "everything is fodder," beautifully undercuts the idea that the Decepticons are anything other than a band of psychos held together by Megatron's charisma, and demonstrates the all too common fate of mindless fanatics like Lugnut. They become fodder.

• Like Like x 4
  6. MegaDolrailer

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    I don't think it's too dark either but I don't think it's especially good, like compare Prowl sacrificing himself in the last episode to what would have been Lugnut sacrificing himself for Megatron, one is bittersweet but the other one is just bitter, on top of that it kills one of the original Animated characters.

If that happened I'd honestly be fine with it, could be a cool development for the character

• Like Like x 3
  7. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    A few more bits from Marty Isenberg's Sunday panel:
    • Powermaster Prime was a Hasbro request to allow Hasbro to release a larger size / priced character. Marty worked it into the premiere.
    • Hasbro also requested flames on Optimus, movie-style. This would have been a repaint on the toy. It popped up in the outline as signifier of a high honour awarded to Optimus.
    • Focus would have been on Mini-Cons, but the other Decepticons would have eventually come back.
    • Megatron was completely losing it at this point in the story. Described as "not quite Beast Machines genocidal, but on the way there"
    • Marauder Megatron was a Hasbro request, they wanted a triple changer design. Intended to make Megatron a huge threat to the point he didn't need minions.
    • Writers never figured out exactly where Sari was going. But her journey was the story of Transformers Animated - idea was the finale would have been the end of her journey.
    • Beachcomber was intended for Season 3. He was supposed to catch Longarm turning into Shockwave. His reaction? "Dude, not cool". Then Shockwave kills him. This was cut for time.
    • Beachcomber was then intended for a scene in Season 4. Blackout would have killed him.
    • If the Beachcomber scene hadn't happened in Season 4, he'd have died in Season 5. Marty didn't like Beachcomber.
    • Unicron considered "too big for Animated"
    • No plans to have had Megatron become Galvatron in Animated.
    • Shattered Glass episode was intended for Season 3. It got bumped when the Season 3 opener was made into a three party.
    • Marty doesn't remember who would have been on Slipstream's own team of Decepticons.
    • Optimus as a young leader was Marty's idea. He likes writing underdogs and characters with something to prove rather than big heroes.
    • Blitzwing as a character was born from Marty wanting to write a character who turns into anything. Because that didn't work as a toy, Derrick Wyatt suggested using a triple changer. Marty then came up with three personalities. Derrick was then inspired by He-Man's Man-E-Faces. In-show origin would have involved Blackarachnia and been told in Season 4.
    • There was a running joke about having a transforming character called "Tractor". He'd have been an Energon farmer.
    • Blurr was not intended to come back - he was "gone and dead" as far as Marty was concerned. But, the Botcon story where Blurr is revived "is canon. Sure. Why not?"
    • Team Charr were not specifically planned to be used (no stories built around them) but Marty thinks they would have "inevitably" been used.
    • Ratchet probably ran off with Omega Supreme as the Ark, and nobody else knew rather than him being intentionally given to Optimus.
    • Characters like Red Alert and Rodimus would have been recurring characters.
    • Marty thinks Obsidian in the treatment may have been a slip on his part, and could have been Strika in the final cut.
    • No plans for more flying Autobots.
    • Human villains were phased out - "fell by the wayside" - as the series progressed. Not a Hasbro pushback.
    • The timeslot for the Unicron Trilogy and Animated was based on a deal. The first run was on a decent timeslot but if the ratings were not good, it'd be moved to an earlier timeslot.
    • Cartoon Network wanted Marty and the crew to "age up" the show for season 3, to reflect the network's other shows at the time (specifically the new Ben 10 and Clone Wars)
    • Bulkhead was the first character Derrick Wyatt designed.
    • Lockdown was based on wanting a version of Death's Head that Hasbro could own.
    • Chances of actually seeing a new season "slim to none". Comic a smaller investment, but up to IDW to decide if they want to do it. Marty would be happy to write it.
    • Marty says if you want to know more, get the Allspark Almanacs.

• Like Like x 15
  8. The ARISEN PRIME

The ARISEN PRIME Well-Known Member

So what is this about???????????????

9. deliciouspeter

deliciouspeter Back in Black TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I immediately thought of Atomic Lugnut. An excuse to introduce some new Decepticon paint jobs?

• Like Like x 5
  10. LegoTFGuy

LegoTFGuy Master Builder

News Credits:
    That's actually a good point. Could also be where Sunstorm gets his powers.

• Like Like x 2
  11. setsuna

setsuna Well-Known Member

Can we make s4 happen like how clone wars was revived?

I’d even settle for a comic!

12. Blam320

Blam320 Assembly Inventor

News Credits:
    Transformers: Animated was a TV show that ran from 2008 to 2009 on Cartoon Network. The show revolved around Optimus Prime and his small crew of repair bots (the rank of Prime is more like a captain in this universe) as they rose above their station to become heroes after the unexpected re-discovery of the AllSpark, and the Decepticons who were hunting it.

It ran for a total of three seasons, during which the Autobots gained allies in the form of Professor Isaac Sumdac - an inventor, as well as founder and CEO of his own robotics company - and his daughter, Sari. Together, they defended an early 22nd century version of Detroit, Michigan from Megatron and his entourage, plus the city's own technology-enabled supervillains and the occasional rogue creation of Sumdac's.

It would later be revealed that Sari isn't technically Professor Sumdac's daughter; she's Techno-Organic, a Transformer with an organic alternate mode, in this case that of a human child. Her protoform mysteriously appeared in Professor Sumdac's lab one night, and when he touched it, it scanned his DNA to create its alt-mode. Upon realizing this, Sari would then use the power of the AllSpark to upgrade herself, unlocking her robot mode and giving herself a number of powers and weapons. As a side-effect, the upgrade would also accelerate her aging, so that instead of a child she was now a teenager. Season 4 was intended to explore her origins.

The show was initially derided for it's super-deformed art style; however, its masterful storytelling and character development quickly turned it into a fan-favorite and cult classic within the fandom.

Unfortunately, Animated's life was going to get cut short. Cartoon Network started edging it and other "action" cartoons into worse and worse timeslots, while simultaneously Hasbro started planning to start their own channel, which would host solely Hasbro-owned cartoons. Not only that, but the show was released in the shadow of the first Live-Action movie, which was so popular that not only was the sequel planned for 2009, but demand for Movie toys meant Animated's toyline was delayed for several months, leading to what seemed to be lackluster toy sales.

Thus, it was decided the third season of Animated would be its last. While the show ended on a high note, with a grand finale befitting the heroes, the cancellation of Animated left a sour taste in the mouths of many, fans and those who worked on the show alike.

For a brief period of time afterward, some concepts for what would have been in Season 4 have arisen, told through sources such as the AllSpark Almanac series, convention script-readings and interviews (such as this one), and Transformers Collectors' Club Magazine articles.

While Hasbro was more than content to move on with the rest of their projects - including the rest of the live-action movies, Transformers: Prime as one of the lead shows for their channel, "The Hub," and of course the still-ongoing 30th anniversary of the franchise, with its unending focus entirely on G1 - lots of people haven't. And for the last ten years, fans of Transformers: Animated have requested non-stop for Hasbro to finish what was started, and give us Animated's fourth season.

Hasbro got sick of fans screaming in their ear for more Animated content, and decided to give us what we wanted... albeit as a convention-exclusive, behind-closed-doors interview with no recordings allowed. This has clearly disheartened Marty: just earlier this year, at TFCon LA, he was enthusiastic and very happy that fans still wanted Season 4, and he encouraged us to keep trying to get Hasbro's attention, because they have historically listened to fans for what direction to take the franchise (the hard return to G1 purism is an example). Then, he thought getting the band back together for at least something for Animated was plausible. But with this interview, his tone seems to have changed, since evidently he said it's all up to IDW on whether they want to do a continuation comic, now. And we all know what IDW's attitude towards Animated is, given the Complete AllSpark Almanac was a very limited run, and they tried to use Animated as a joke to promote one of their many G1-flavored comics.

So, TLDR, Animated was a great show that you should watch, it got cancelled at the height of its popularity and when more content for it was being planned, and fans still want that content released even ten years later, but Hasbro can't be bothered, or just doesn't care.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2019
    • Like Like x 2
  13. octobotimus

octobotimus Decepticon Intelligence

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Unless I get to hear the audio, I don’t care much if at all about this. Animated is over and my interest in it has mostly gone.

14. transform75

transform75 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:

15. Blam320

Blam320 Assembly Inventor

News Credits:
    Sheesh, someone's a killjoy.

And since you're out of the loop, recordings were not allowed. We knew this would be the case long before this week.

• Like Like x 3
  16. Greylight

Greylight Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    How many others read that headline on the homepage, took it at face value, and excitedly thought there was finally going to be a Season 4, and that there was information on an actual premiere? Only to have their hopes dashed in the second paragraph?

• Like Like x 10
  17. fishpop

fishpop Squishy

Ebay:
    THEY KILLED OFF LUGNUT!!? D8

18. CZ Hazard

CZ Hazard Sons of Unicron PTT

News Credits:
    I wish I found the time to attend this panel over the weekend, as it was I only got to the excellent Spacebridge panel hosted by Paul and Ras. Animated is one of the best TF shows we've ever had and I adore it, but there's so many people I only get to see once a year and I had to take the opportunity.

I feel I'm going to regret never hearing this as time passes.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Chopperface

Chopperface All the Stars Are Closer

News Credits:
    Really cool that this happened, and even cooler to hear more behind the scenes stuff and refuting decade old Word or God (namely the human villains being phased out). Interesting that CN was the one who pushed for darker S3, and that to this day Sari’s true story was never figured out.

Hmm. I doubt the Decepticons actually died hopping in the core or whatever; at least, the named ones, I’m sure there were generics from Trypticon. I’m sure Lugnut survived if he can survive POKE-ing himself every other episode.

20. supernova222

supernova222 junkion

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    the amount that has happened in just the transformers franchise alone is pretty substantial