Transformers: Animated Episode 7 - Thrill of the Hunt Discussion

Discussion in 'Transformers Animated Discussion' started by McBradders, Jan 19, 2008.

1. Beastbot X

Beastbot X It's a hobby. Remember to have some perspective.

News Credits:
    My opinion (Do I REALLY need to put a Spoiler Warning for this? Honestly, this is so silly in a thread DEDICATED to the subject...):

Negatives:
    -Why does Lockdown still have the same alt mode on Cybertron? Odd...

Positives:
    -Everything else-- as has been said numerous times, this is an utterly fantastic episode, Beast-Wars quality in fact. There are SO many good quotes from this ep I can't remember them all, Lockdown is my second-favorite TF of all time now next to Obsidian, no Sari whatsoever, mature storytelling yet still suitable for kids, excellent fight choreography... Just awesome, all around. Beyond the one niggling thing I already mentioned, no complaints. At all. A+.

Oh, and my rating of the eps so far:
    -Thrill of the Hunt
    -Blast from the Past
    -Total Meltdown
    -Transform and Roll Out!
    -Home is Where the Spark Is

2. Thundershot

Thundershot Ratchet Fanatic

News Credits:
    Ebay:

I'm the one who started it. It's just a gut feeling, and with the way it ended, it could happen... I was thinking it the whole time. I'm guessing the silver spoilers aren't being used anymore, judging by the above posts....

Chris

3. Josh

Josh Comic Color-guy

News Credits:

me? im way glad they dont have "guns" and stuff

nobody ever got hit!

you miss the shoot-outs? you mean the "lets shoot at eachother to make pretty laser blast effects while missing every target just so we can have time to monologue" shoot-outs?

:p 

man i sure dont

the blasts never hit
    and when they did it never really did anything. Not like they would die. No. They had toys to sell :p 

so to me, it was all pretty pointless [as far as guns in the cartoons go]

4. Radioactive Ravage

Radioactive Ravage Ancient

*ahem*

"THEY'RE REPAIR-BOTS! THEY'RE NOT PROGRAMMED FOR THAT KIND OF ACTION!"

I thought this episode was a lot of fun. Watched it on Youtube, though... so everything was a little choppy. I'll watch it on TV tomorrow to fully appreciate the fight-scenes.

5. KA

KA Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    wow, 17 page and no eric posting? nice. i actually kinda miss him already.

great ep. love bumble's horn, love the ratchet spotlight. kudos to dude who called out deaths head reference (hes got the accessories, the head design, even similar colours), i can totally see that. love lockdowns VA but now that ive got DH in my head i wouldve love to see stormare (who coincidentally does p black) do lockdown complete with speech pattern (blah blah blah, yes?). that wouldve been cool. but as it is, lance sounded cool, kinda...whos that guy with the gravelly voice from the crow? wincott. its the delivery, very smooth.

also, i like how ratch, despite being reminiscent of kup, but with kup, you cant stop him telling stories. ratch on the other hand resist telling em. subtle spin on typical character architype right thur. this is the kind of stuff that is making TFA awsum.

also, count me in as not seeing arcee = BA. arcee is here purely for g1 homage, the fact that shes a girl just makes it more sympathetic, thats all.

6. Zress Tayasu

Zress Tayasu Axiom

"You know, one gripe I have with this episode is Blitzwing's ridiculous german accent. I think the writers took the 'Blitz' part of his name too literally. German accents for bad guys was recognized as politically incorrect twenty years ago. -_-"

err, what? 'scuse me? why should germans and their accents be precluded from being bad guys? why do they get any more immunity as to who's side they're on, than any other group by accent? *sweat*

7. axiant

axiant Autobot paper pusher!

Eh, as long as there's no massive protest against the accent, I don't think they'll be changing it anytime soon.
    It's a cartoon. Let's not be too sensitive.

8. Ironhide546

Ironhide546 TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:

Yeah. Bots standing there going PEW PEW with lasers is so damn boring. I'm really enjoying the slick, creative fight scenes that TF animated has. Would the End of Evangelion battle be as good if the Eva 02 just sniped the Mass Productions? If Getter Robo just machine gunned everything every time? Mazinger with no rocket punch? Gurren Lagann with beam cannons?

No sir, I'll take well choreographed melee battle any day.

I don't see how this makes them "too human." It makes them MORE ROBOTIC. When your entire body is made out of metal, and can be customized to take on any shape and function, you ARE the weapon. Humans are the ones who need guns because we are soft and frail and suck at fighting.

9. Torque

Torque The WORDSMITH

News Credits:
    As Farnsworth from Futurama said when Zoidberg asked him for courage "who needs courage when you have a gun?" (Wizard of Oz special)

but really, having them actually willing to go in and fight opponents is so much more exciting, and realisic too.

10. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    You're so far from the point. The Decepticons have guns. Lots of guns. (Starscream, Megs, Blitzwing, frikkin' Lugnut has bombs for arms and guns all over him) I can't see how you missed those.

Only the Autobots (the main Autobots) are gunnless. But seriously, would it make sense if they did? They're not soldiers, so they wouldn't have guns anyway.

Again, no he didn't. He took the bell and held it above the guy so Prime could ring it.

11. DanielGuardian

DanielGuardian Member

The last time I made actually logged on and made a post here was apparently the 18th of November 2006. Now, that's not to say I'm not a committed TF Fan, especially considering I'm an Aussie and anyone not in the USA has to give just as much effort to be a TF Fan, I just don't have a whole lot of time to be on forums and such. I try to only leave posts when I'm really passionate about something. I've been passionate about BW (still my favourite animated series apart from ReBoot) and the TF Movie. But this is the first time since those things I've been passionate enough to leave a message and say TF: Animated is AWESOME!

It always takes time for me to warm to a series. For most of my favourite ones I was highly skeptical at the start. But this episode cements TF: Animated as a stand-out series, and the best animated series I can remember since BW. There is no higher complement from me. When Ratchet says "This was a medical tool, meant to heal. You turned it into a weapon" I had chills down my spine. The themes and characterization of this episode is everything that Transformers can be and should be, realized.

The reason Transformers endures as a franchise is because you can do unique things with human-like robots that you can't do with humans. You can explore concepts and ideas totally unique to this genre. When it comes to war, what defines courage and honour, what is worth accomplishing in life, all of these themes Transformers has explored in the past and brought great meaning to. This episode once again shows why Transformers is more than just a kids show and investment for Hasbro. This series has proved its worth, and this episode shows us all that Transformers can be.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2008
  12. Lockdown

Lockdown Bootey Hunter

News Credits:
    I just really hope Arcee makes another appearance in the series and that we get a toy instead of yet more versions of Megatron and Prime.

13. Feralstorm

Feralstorm Good Morning, Weather Hackers! TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    SHHH!!!

Anyway (possible spoilers)...

I'm quite impressed with this episode. Like people said, from a story/character standpoint, it's the strongest in Animated so far, perhaps for close to a decade. It's quite dark and tragic in several ways, which is likely why Sari was left out.

I can already see some standard running gags starting up:

Ratchet: "What kind of (mechanical/electronic euphemism for 'dumbass') would do something like that?"
    Bumblebee (jumping out like Squiggy) "Hello Lavoine!" ;) 

It's right up there with Fanzone saying "This is why I hate machines." whenever anything happens anywhere on Earth.

I agree, though I can see the argument for it. Perhaps it would be TOO obvious, but if one were to become the other, i'd expect the same voice artist for both. Regardless, after watching the ep, I saw Arcee, saw what happened to Arcee, and figured I probably shouldn't expect to see an Animated-line toy for Arcee anythime soon.

14. Kickback

Kickback Proud father Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    Absolutely amazing episode.

And Arcee doesn't turn in to Black Arachnia. There's more fanwank in that revelation than this episode had, believe it or not.

15. KA

KA Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    i hate fanzone, at this point hes so cliched, reminds me of dennis franz from die harder. at least hes got more lines in ep 5 but right now hes just a punchline.

16. ThaConqueror

ThaConqueror Rock! Robot Rock!

Actually, he is a ninja. That's his function, a ninja. And a pretty damn awesome ninja, as well. IMO, the street-lamp-bo-staff bit was PURE WIN. When it got cut in half, my little brother (who was watching it with me) immediatly said 'Katanas!'. Fingers crossed for numbchucks...

The rest of the ep was also awesome. Plain and simple.

I can see where people are coming from with the Arcee/Blackarachnia thing, but I hope it's not true. My bet says she'll show up with the Elite Guard, with Ratchet going into guilt-overload.

17. MilkManX

MilkManX TF Comicbook Fan

That episode was sooo good. Damn nice story and serious character development and background. Lance Henrickson was amazing!!

Damn this show is now really cookin!

18. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    Pretty much everything you've said so far about Animated is true, so I'm inclined to beleive this.

19. Lockdown

Lockdown Bootey Hunter

News Credits:
    Well hopefully she has since the war ended up as part of the Elite Guard and rocks up with Sentinel and Co cause a Animated Arcee toy would be awesome.

20. General Tekno

General Tekno Self-Styled #1 Lugnut Fan

News Credits:
    Huh.

Bet Arcee used to be one of the G1 fembots' namesakes. Perhaps Chromia or Elita-1.