Transformers: Animated Episode 7 - Thrill of the Hunt Discussion

Discussion in 'Transformers Animated Discussion' started by McBradders, Jan 19, 2008.

1. Ceasar121

Ceasar121 Wants a Toxitron repaint!

News Credits:
    this was the best episode so far. Lockdown is already my 2nd favorite Decepticon of all time. A badass Bounty Hunter. It seems to me that we are getting Decepticons that are actually a threat and are going to be fully characterized. If the remaining eps are like this, we'll have the best TF series ever. The animation is growing on me. The G1 nods abound. The voice acting superb.
    In my humble opnion, if you claim you're a tf fan and you don't like this show YOU AREN'T A TF FAN.

2. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Wow, I just realized that at the end when Ratchet and Prime start talking you here a very slow version of the TF theme.

3. Superion33

Superion33 Banned

To be totally honest, this is the first series since BW that has had a decent plot at all. All the others were about gimmicks and finding the lost great whatchamacallits or whatever.

However, one thing I don't like is how the Bots are "too" humanized. By that I mean their fighting style. Yes, true Prime used an energon axe and Megatrom used an energon mace but do we really need shurikens and bo-staffs? Whats so bad about your regular run of the mill laser? I kinda miss the shoot-outs that the bots used to have in G1. Whats so bad about giving each robot a gun to shoot? If you think about it, there aren't really any guns at all in this series except for Megatron's big one and Starscreams.

Prowl - shurikens and jetpack
    Prime - axe and grappling hook
    Ratchet - his electrical force field
    Bulkhead - his concussion fist
    Bumblebee - his electrical charge dispense

NONE of them have guns. Doesn't anyone else find that a little odd? Do you guys think we are going to go the entire series without seeing one gun at all? Do you think this is some new idea that kids shows not be allowed to show guns?

To see Prowl using a street lamp like a bo-staff is really weird. Not bad, but I don't want to see it overdone. He is turning into this series Robin with how he is portrayed as nigh invincible. He is a robot, not a ninja.

And is Ratchet the Transformers version of Green Lantern? His making a bell shape out of his magnetic powers in the previous episode is going a little too far.

What do you guys think?

4. Master Fwiffo

Master Fwiffo Bonecrusher Hates You

News Credits:
    He grabbed the bell that was already there with them. He didn't make any bell shape.

5. Sso02V

Sso02V Injector Has a Posse

News Credits:
    They're repair-bots, why would they have guns?

6. shroobmaster

shroobmaster Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Just like the above poster said, they're repair-bots they don't need guns.
    NOW if you look at the DECEPTICONS
    Megatron= Fusion Cannon
    Starscream= Null Rays
    Blitzwing= Back cannons
    Blackarachnia= No idea
    Lugnut= Needs no guns because his punch alone got the power of a small bomb but still got liquid napalm coming from his hands and that's enough
    Lockdown= Dude probably got every weapon ever

7. puppylove

puppylove mini ops caretaker

News Credits:
    yeah, i think it is more likely that the autobots were just a repair crew, not solders, hence the lack of weaponry on their side. but just as shroobmaster said, the decepticons seem to all have weapons & guns. and maybe i am in the minority, but i much prefer the hand to hand style fighting as opposed to a bunch of lasers wizzing past eachother...

8. axiant

axiant Autobot paper pusher!

Wow. I can not repeat all the awesomeness you all just covered so I'll just name them all-
    Prime
    Lockdown
    Prowl
    Ratchet
    Arcee
    Blitzving
    Bumblebee!
    [​IMG]

9. a person

a person Is not amused.

News Credits:
    I wonder if Arcee becomes Blackarachnia?

10. autoWHAT

autoWHAT Well-Known Member

poor arcee :( 

Just when I thought the series was getting a little too juvenile and that I'd be getting off the ride, this incredible episode came along. I have to see where they go with this. Hopefully there will be more war flashbacks.

11. Incepticon

Incepticon |-+-|

News Credits:
    Between last week's episode featuring the Dinobots and now this new one - it's done - I am officially sold on this series. The writing, the animation and amazing fight sequences, the character development, the dark overtone, the voice acting... everything about it was absolutely A+ in this episode. Jazz vs Lockdown and Ratchet vs Lockdown were the best one on one fights we've seen yet. And even though I *loathe* Arcee to the point of pretending she doesn't actually exist in the TF universe, I have to admit it was kinda cool to see her show up as a cameo, complete with her G1ish design and voiced by Susan Blu. I also really liked that Lockdown isn't just a mindless badass Decepticon, but is instead a free agent bounty hunter who can admire/appreciate the skills of his opponents. And the story arc with Ratchet was just fantastic, especially since they more or less are showing kids how war veterans have flashbacks- which is pretty deep by Saturday morning cartoon standards.

Just... awesome. I don't regret my original negative views of this series based solely on the toy design aesthetic, but am very happy that such a high quality show has changed my mind about it.

12. Op_Prime

Op_Prime One With The Matrix TFW2005 Supporter

I'm more than convinced that Lockdown is a homage to Death's Head. He's got that Bounty Hunter thing going for him, and he looks kinda similar as well, not forgetting his arm changing gimmick. Well, he hasn't started dropping "yes"'s in his speech or pummelled anyone for calling him a Bounty Hunter instead of "Freelance Peacekeeping Agent", but given his motives for Bounty Hunting, I guess it would be out of character if he did so, not to mention make him too obvious an homage.

13. Dark_Convoy

Dark_Convoy Old Bastard Veteran

Holy crap, number one, the opening scene of the war flashback was brutal, I have never really seen anything in transformers cartoon convey war like that with the exception of the 86 movie.

Number two - poor Arcee, no wonder Ratchet is uncomfortable talking about it.

Number three - anyone who hated this episode is hating for the sake of hating, this was damn near Batman TAS caliber.

I still don't like the art style, but the stories continue to get better and better.

This was the best episode of any Transformers cartoon since Beast Wars, period.

14. Autobot 47

Autobot 47 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    WOW WOW WOW!!!

I really can't decide, which episode is going to be my favourite - all of them are great. I was very excited at "Total Meltdown", with the Prometheus Black and now "Thrill of the hunt", which gives us an insight look of how Ratchet ticks! And yeah!!!! ARCEE IS BACK!!!!!! But what in name of the Matrix, happened to her afterwards?!
    Lockdown is a different Decepticon, which is nice to see, that he hunts for trophy. Just a bad-ass episode! MOOOOORE!!!!

I WANT A TFA OVERDOSE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PS: Anyone notices the 2007 movie nods? "Hiding in plain sight"-thing?

15. a person

a person Is not amused.

News Credits:

Also ''Car Robots'' - as a possible nod to the RID toyline by Takara.

EDIT: Wrong episode.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2008
  16. SilverDragon

SilverDragon YEAH TOAST!

News Credits:
    Yay, character development for Ratchet! I wasn't expecting it to be so dark, though. Judging by his flashbacks, he's got post-traumatic stress disorder, or some kind of robot equivelant.

If Lockdown, who isn't a 'proper' Decepticon, can beat the Autobots so throughly, they're going to have a tough time even when the Elite Guard arrive.

About Arcee becoming Blackarachnia: maybe Arcee goes to the Academy for retraining after losing her memory, then she becomes Blackarachnia (because that's apparently how BA got a spider mode, during an Academy test or something).

My list of best episodes, because other people are doing it:

1. Blast From The Past
    2. Transform and Roll Out!
    3. Home Is Where The Spark Is
    4. Thrill of the Hunt
    5. Total Meltdown

17. Sycia

Sycia Draconian Faction

*sniff*
    Poor Arcee...

And wow to Ratchet kicking ass! :O That immunity against the blast was monumental! I'm still pretty weirded that him and Megatron are voiced by the same person. o_O 

And Prime trying to act as the good leader is making me laugh. Not in a mocking way, but the poor guy needs to grow a lot more before anyone will respect him as one, and I definitely want to see that happening!

18. Superion33

Superion33 Banned

Why does everyone think Arcee turns into Blackarachnia?

19. Switchblade

Switchblade One Flesh, One End

News Credits:
    Re the whole Arcee/Blackarachnia thing: just because they're both female doesn't mean they're the same character. If the episode had shown, say, Bluestreak instead of Arcee I don't think anyone would be assuming he and Lugnutz are the same character.

20. autoWHAT

autoWHAT Well-Known Member

Because it would be an interesting development indeed - we don't know where Blackarachnia came from. And they might do it because Arcee isn't all that marketable anyway, she's a pink girlbot.

I don't think it'll happen, but it'd be pretty clever.