Transformers: Animated - Episode 6 - Blast From The Past

Discussion in 'Transformers Animated Discussion' started by McBradders, Jan 12, 2008.

1. Icetron

Icetron Well-Known Member

That episode was great! Reminded me so much of G1. :D  I really want that Grimlock toy now. ;) 

2. Nightrain

Nightrain Senior Villain

News Credits:
    Let's be clear on why that is.

-Coherent dialog.

-Actual animation as opposed to sliding frames.

-No recycled animation.

-Each episode has it's own little story instead of being a part of some ridiculous "arc".

The bottom line is this show could totally suck and still be worlds better than the utter garbage Hasbro imported.

3. SilverDragon

SilverDragon YEAH TOAST!

News Credits:
    This episode was AWESOME BEYOND WORDS!!!! Glad to see that the Dinobots aren't completely different, and that their origin wasn't a rehash of 'WE FOUND FOSILS LETS MAKE DINOSARZ LAWL'

Grimlock's design used to irk me because of the huge lower jaw, but for some reason, it actually looks good on him. I wish Slag and Swoop would transform as well (I was going 'Transform...transform...transform' during the fight at the end), but they were AWESOME ANYWAY. Incidentally, David Kaye's Grimlock is DEAD-ON PERFECT. I was thinking he'd make it something like BW Megatron (due to the alt modes), but what we got was better/.

Incidentally, I was hoping that the Apatosaurus robot would end up becoming Sludge, but what we got was awesome enough as it is.

Bulkhead and Prowl's little sub-plot was good. I'm especially liking Prowl, not the least because he saved the Dinobots.

References to the original G1 Dinobot origins (Optimus wants them gotten rid of after they cause havoc), a certain Dinobot-related G1 episode, and Car Robots FOR THE WIN!

Gawd, despite my limits (NO MORE RAMDOMLY SPENDING MONEY ON TOYS), I really want a Grimlock toy NOW. And Slag and Swoop, too. A Dinobot Collector will be me!

4. Glitcher

Glitcher Banned

News Credits:
    Another great episode. S'nice to hear Grimlock sounds almost identical to G1. I just hope the same will apply to Soundwave.

It's enjoyable watching a rapport develop between the two polar opposite Autobots, Prowl and Bulkhead. Oil and water friendships are always entertaing. I'm also luvin' Bumblebee. He has such funny lines delivered in his cute, nasal voice. Definitely on my 'must buy' list when he comes out. My only gripe with this episode is that Grimlock's reason to despise cars didn't make any sense whatsoever. Then again he is a thicko.

BTW, this is the second time the Dinobots have found themselves trapped in tar. Will they ever learn? :crazy: 

5. Vialli

Vialli Fantastic

Very good episode. I lol'd hard when Bulkhead tackled Slag and said "excuse me!" Reminded me of the TF movie when Slag said excuse me to the quint when he walked on him. If it keeps going like this, it'll be the best TF show since Beast Wars.

6. Shin Densetsu

Shin Densetsu I WILL DESTROY YOU Content Contributor Veteran

News Credits:
    Gi Joe:A Real American Hero. Not sure if that counts since its made by the same company(Hasbro). It did manage to outlast Star Wars in the toy aisle though. ARAH lasted from 1982-1995.

I hope we see a painted Grimlock at Toyfair next month. I hope the Dinobots reappear more often in the series, this episode was good. I kept anticipating their transformations.

7. KA

KA Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    just saw it.

lol at gullible sumdac

lol at car trucks bad

lol at bulkhead

i love this show.

8. Vangelus

Vangelus Long Live the New Flesh Moderator Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I wouldn't say there's -no- grand storyarc...it's simply not the prime focus. Which I rather enjoy. :D 

SPOILERS AHEAD BUT ANYWAY WHY ARE YOU READING THIS FAR INTO THE THREAD IF YOU DON'T WANT TO BE SPOILED

Ladies and gentlemen, may I present: A Megatron that's actually deceptive.

I think Sumdac's gullibility is a boon to the story here...I mean, the fellow was this geeky young man that -by fluke- finds the remains of an alien robot overlord, then goes on to steal the designs to create a robotics empire. He clearly has NOT earned his way to the top, which makes his flaws feel a lot more intentionally written and not just glossed over. And why does nobody take him down for all his screw-ups? He's a global leader of a globally-desired industry.

Megatron damning his own pride to pretend to be a lost and scared alien to Sumdac was brilliant compared to how most of the past Megatron characters would likely have dealt with things ("Yes I built those flamethrowers...TO ANNIHILATE THE AUTOBOTS NOW DO AS I SAY FOR I AM THE HEAD THAT IS THE EMPEROR OF DESTRUCTION").

Really pleased that the Dinobots didn't get a rushed "we are eventually good guys and hey look at how our toys work" deal like I'd gone in expecting. Got high hopes for how they're handled down the road.

And as I said earlier, there -is- a season arc going on, it's just simply not being pushed to the forefront. Overall developments in this episode would be Sumdac and Megatron now on speaking terms, and Dinobot Island. ;) 

9. KA

KA Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    and that just goes to show g1s longevity has few comparisons. and even ARAH at its best depended on changes to sustain the brand, since its a smaller subset of the gi joe brand. joe has been around, what? 50 years, theyre in a league of their own.

10. KA

KA Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    seeing megs in conspiring mode actually made coreys subdued vocals click for me. it makes so much sense now.

11. Shin Densetsu

Shin Densetsu I WILL DESTROY YOU Content Contributor Veteran

News Credits:
    Forgot to mention, I am very highly anticipating the unveiling of Megatron's completed new body. I keep thinking there will be progress but none so far. At least today we find that Sumdac has volunteered to make one.

I liked how Grimlock kept forgetting which was bad and which wasn't. "Car robots, ugh, I forgot?".

12. BB Shockwave

BB Shockwave Behold, Gagatron!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Also, if you really want to strech it, this is also an inside joke about how bad RID (=Car Robots in Japan) was... :)  Grimlock apparently agrees with me on that matter. ;) 

13. NGW

NGW Rawr

News Credits:
    RiD was infinitely better than the Unicon trilogy though...

But I also thought the same thing, that it was in some way a jab it it.

14. Maximo Prime

Maximo Prime Bassist of Ill Repute

Ebay:
    i agree. but it's a moot point. (sorry i normally don't correct people on the language...)

Or a moo point? Yknow a cow's opinion? it doesn't matter, it's moo. [/joey tribiani]

15. BB Shockwave

BB Shockwave Behold, Gagatron!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Man, tell ME about it... :(  I'm translating Animated to Hungarian and it was really hard to come up with a decent pun for that one.

This episode will present challenges too, especially Grimlock taking his name from Megatron's last two words, as Grimlock is called simply 'Grim' (translated back to english) in Hungary. I'm still thinking about how to re-shape Megs' sentences for the whole thing to make sense.

16. Lockdown

Lockdown Bootey Hunter

News Credits:
    Mmm not a fan of the other 2 Dinobots not having VAs just seems cheap to me and no transformation till right at the end and again only Grimlock was a letdown.
    Also really hope we dont need to wait until episode 12 to see the Dinobots again.
    But it was still cool Kaye did a good G1 Grimlock nod voice and I really do like the characterization of Megatron so far, he is definatly shaping up to be a alot more like comic renditions of the character than previous animated incarnations.

I love Prowl

17. Maximo Prime

Maximo Prime Bassist of Ill Repute

Ebay:
    ucch yeah i'm so glad i have them checked off already.

18. Incepticon

Incepticon |-+-|

News Credits:
    Not sure why people are so bent out of shape that the Dinobots weren't fully developed characters in their premier 22 minute episode. Give it some time - Swoop & Slag will no doubt eventually have voices... and yes, they'll transform. We've already seen the toy prototypes of Grimlock & Slag, so obviously the Dinobots will be fully realized soon enough.

Moving on...

I thought this episode was great. It was an eerie flashback to my G1 days when the Dinobots first appeared, and like many others, I am in pleasant shock & awe with the voice direction they went with Grimlock. I have always hated David Kaye's work, but I am (finally) liking what he does via this series, especially Grimlock. It's right up there with Tom Kenny's rendition of Starscream.

I still don't like the design style of this series, but there's no doubt the show will become pretty addictive as it goes on, subsequently making me much more interested in buying the accompanying toy line figures.

Looking forward to how this all starts to play out as more episodes air.

19. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Veteran

This was not as strong an episode as the previous four, but still ok. It lacked any real character development, but Megatron was a lot of fun. I just hope his "build a threat of the week" isn't a mainstay.

20. knook

knook Let the Virus Consume You

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Megatron is evil in this and not just how Megs normally is he's sinister and sneaky as well but maybe thats because previous Megatrons haven't been in that position before *a almost useless head*