Transformers Animated Comes to DVD on June 17th

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by Tim Formas, Mar 4, 2008.

1. Railguard

Railguard Battalion Commander

Ebay:
    I don't know about this Animated show, I don't really like the girl character, I know its for a different target audience, but wow she is annoying.

2. Johnator

Johnator 'Til All Are Gone!

Totally agree she is really annoying.

3. airfox

airfox TF: Cybertronian Wars!

News Credits:
    I'd buy a DVD containing the premiere "movie."

I'd also buy a first season box set later even if it also includes the premiere "movie."

This is nothing but good news.

-airfox

4. nkelsch

nkelsch Do you know this Icon? TFW2005 Supporter

Fred was annoying because he was a fake 2-dimensional character.

Sari at least acts very much like a real 10-year old child and while that may annoy people, those people would probably be annoyed by *REAL* ten year old children. I am glad she is annoying Adult Males because that means the character is well executed.

5. Spider Striker

Spider Striker ThisGuyWithTheYellowCap

Usually with neat special features. I'm really hoping for this type of release. Though as pointed out in the thread, I'm not sure we'll get that w/ Paramount at the helm...

It's a fan dream of mine to have FUNimation get the rights to all the Japanese TF shows. They'd do an awesome job with the dub.

6. MagnusPrimal

MagnusPrimal Well-Known Member

We have so many Spongebob DVDs it's not even funny. We bought the first season twice since my daughter has scratched one of the discs, and the wife and I like it too! So we keep the new set out of sight, and she gets the old. We have several of the 'garbage' discs too, but I would argue you can't really use that term for any of the Spongebob discs containing episodes from Season 3 or earlier.

7. MagnusPrimal

MagnusPrimal Well-Known Member

I thought Hasbro delayed releasing the toys so they could release more movie product. I wasn't aware that CN 'jumped the gun.'

8. Incepticon

Incepticon |-+-|

News Credits:
    Jesus, people really need to relax.

A) This is obviously a "teaser" DVD of sorts that will help launch and coincide with the toyline that will be filling shelves around the same time. I'll guarantee it's not a replacement or substitute of a full Season 1 set.

B) Just because some of you don't want to acknowledge "the movie" as being part of Season 1, it doesn't change the fact that it is. It was simply episodes 1-3 run back to back, no different than "More Than Meets The Eye" back in the G1 days.

C) MANY shows have done and continue to do this - where they take selected episodes and give them their own DVD releases. Transformers has done it as far back as the VHS days with "MTMTE", "Five Faces Of Darkness", "The Return Of Optimus Prime", the "Rebirth" trilogy aka Season 4, and I'm sure others that I don't even know about where BW, A/E/C are concerned. Other shows that have also done it are He-Man, The Tick, The Simpsons, Family Guy, Spider-Man, Futurmama, Batman, etc. And all of those episodes - the ones that were given their own DVD releases - have always shown up on the boxset releases of whatever season they were originally from. Animated will be no different.

Even with Paramount's sketchy track record, I'm pretty sure Hasbro wouldn't have inked a deal that gives them full control to only release certain episodes here & there. Could be wrong, but I highly doubt it.

9. KA

KA Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    good call, let me rephrase that; while hasbro's delay of the toys in relation to the timely release of the toons risk buyer losing interest, the dvd release should bump the hype back up. tadaa!

10. Darkprime

Darkprime Antigrav Singular Destron

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I don't get why Hasbro hasn't pulled the plug on Paramount's license when they have so royally screwed up releasing Energon and Cybertron on DVD.

11. Night Flame

Night Flame TFW2005 Supporter

They obviously DID ink exactly that deal, or Energon and Cybertron would have been released in some form or another.

12. Fairlady_Z

Fairlady_Z Official Voice of Flareup

Warning: rant follows. But this is a real pet peeve of mine.

I wasn't talking about fancy collector sets but simple, afordable "bare bones" or "near bare bones" releases like The Batman, Teen Titans, and a lot of the old Disney Afternoon stuff. And yes, if the kids are really young they won't care what episode you stick in.

But kids in say third, fourth, fifth grade will care about their favorite episode being omitted, or if their sibling hogged the TV and they missed an episode or two, or they miss the final episode because the DVR did something screwy or they had to visit Grandma that weekend and forget to set it, or maybe they are tired of only having the pilot movie to watch on DVD over and over again. I'm not saying all kids are like this. Only that kids are smart and there are many practical reasons for kids to want to see all the episodes.

Kids are collectors by nature too. They collect video games, trading cards, toys (the webkins craze, my goodness, gotta catch'em all). Consumerism is ageless and sometimes they can be worse that us with their "mom, dad, I want I need..." That can extend to DVDs too.

All I know is that DVD is an amazing thing! To imagine that all the episodes of a TV show could be put into a format at an "afordable" price preserved for me to own forever and ever and watch again and again whenever I want. It's still a bit astounding really. My 80's mentality must be showing here, but I remember what TV was like before the VCR. Reruns were all we had. You actually had to watch the show when it was put on the air by the network. Then the VCR came out and it was like magic.

When I was 8 years old I DID care about being able to see all the episodes of my favorite show. And that if DVD had existed back then I would have BEGGED my parents for a box set.

To see chopped up, out of order, random, three episode per DVD releases makes me want to scream! Especially when I KNOW the company has the technology, the ability, and hopefully the common sense to know better. Do the kids care? Some do, some don't. But they weren't kids in an era where reruns were the only option you had. We as adults should know better and care about the quality of product our kids receive and companies should know better to take full advantage of the wonderful technology they have before them. Funny thing about kids too, if you give them quailty products when they are young, they tend to demand the same quailty as they grow up.

When you have the amazing ability to put all 13 episodes of a popular show on only 2-3 DVD dics and release it for $15-20 bucks and make all your customers very happy why the heck would you do anything less?!? It's perfect! It's magic! It's easy and full of common sense. Don't @#$% with it, for goodness sake!

Any other kind of release belittles what the technology is capable of in the first place and the intelligence of your consumer market whether they know it or not. Random, chopped up releases are not something that plagues just kids shows but the DVD market as a whole. Goodness knows the number of shows that never got released at all because the company insulted the intellgence of the consumer with an inferior DVD release to "test the market."

Again, I'm not saying that Paramount intends to do any of this, I'm just saying that if kids "don't care" but adults do then what's the harm in making the parents happy for nostagic reasons and exposing kids to (gasp) in order releases by "doing it right" in the first place.

This is just my humble opinion. Feel free to disagree. But I feel I had to get that off my chest and an important point to make.

13. nkelsch

Because there is a market for fast release of 2-3 episode DVD sets and then a RE-market for completionists.

*Just like they can sell Lord of the Rings and Spiderman as individual movies which people will buy and then re-release the whole trilogy as a master set.

*Just like they can release 3-episode tapes of a series while the season is going and then release a boxedset at the end.

As long as they sell, they will do it. And I suspect they can sell some of these individual DVDs for good money while the boxed sets don't sell as well as us consumers think they would. The Spongebob series is quite possibly the perfect example of this. They can make an Episode that when it hits TV corresponds to a Video game and a Burger King happy meal release. THey then release 5 or so episodes on TV that will last 3-6 months and rerun them into the ground on TV.

And they will release that as "Spongebob in time" full of time-travel episodes or "Krabs Friend or Foe" full of krabs VS plankton shows.

And they will sell a shitload of them.

And at the end of the season, when the market is right and the individual DVD is worn out the market... BLAMMO, Season 8 DVD.

This is honestly a working market for Kids DVD. While it seems logical to release 13 episodes on a 19.99$ DVD set because the technology is there, they can release that as 4 DVDs for 19.99$ each and THEN release the Season boxed set and make double the money, why the heck would the studio do anything less?!?

14. Jetstorm

Jetstorm Wielder of the Keyblade

I'll have to pass on this.

I prefer having a box set or at least all episodes in order with uncut openings and credits (like the Classic Ninja Turtles DVDs).

I'm still pissed off that some of the episodes of SpongeBob were edited. You know what I'm talking about: they don't show the "alarm system" in the episode Just One Bite (where Squidward first tries a Krabby Patty) because it's an explosion :banghead:  . If you was me, that's incredibly immature. They really need to offer a disc replacement program or something. I want my SpongeBob unedited dammit! :mad  .

But yeah I don't like buying "theme" DVDs either. I waited on buying those "Best of the Muppet Show" DVDs (3 episodes per disc at $15 a disc... yeah I don't think so) I bought ONE of them to whet my Muppet Show appetite but I'm glad Disney released seasons 1 and 2 and is releasing season 3 soon. Same thing with Transformers G1 and Beast Wars. I'm glad I didn't buy the single-disc sets of those (although I admit... I did like the cover art for the Beast Wars ones :p  ). As for SpongeBob, I'm happy with my seasons 1-3 sets, I'll stay away from the theme DVDs.

15. Incepticon

Incepticon |-+-|

News Credits:
    I'm willing to bet that Energon & Cybertron were two completely different situations compared to Animated considering they were more or less 'farmed out' series under license, whereas Animated is produced stateside with the combined exclusivity to Cartoon Network - something I think will make a major difference in how this particular series is marketed & released.

I guess we won't know for sure until/if Season 1 is promptly released on DVD, but until then, I don't think people should necessarily be hitting the panic button this far in advance.

16. Fairlady_Z

Fairlady_Z Official Voice of Flareup

That's a very good point, actually. I agree that from a profit standpoint, this makes a lot of sense and I'm actually okay with it. I don't care if the box sets get released last (well, okay no one likes waiting) but, I only get mad when they aren't released AT ALL. Then I get ticked. Double and tripple dipping is expected in today's market and it's a good idea for a company to kater to those different kinds of customers. It's when companies think that just because single releases doesn't sell (because people are waiting for a box set) that people don't want the program on DVD at all and don't release the box set, then I get mad.

I'll buy a single disc release if I know it will help get the full series released. But the company need to make it clear to their customers that such is the case. For example, I bought the single discs of Fraggle Rock in order to support box sets because that's what Hit said they'd be doing to test the market, and now we have wonderful box sets that sell in the top 20. I did the same thing with the new TMNT. On the other hand, do we know if Paramount would even try to release a box set of Energon or Cybertron?

Proper communication with your customers can sometimes make all the difference. If it looks like Paramount are going to be releasing more DVDs of Animated every six months or so then yes I will support them until I have all the episodes on single discs. If the pilot movie is all they plan to release, then no, I have no desire to buy it.

17. Night Flame

This is my attitude towards the situation as well. And Paramount has not done themselves any favors if they switch to the "testing the market" method at this point, because they've given us a proven track record of essentially saying, "screw you" to people who want Transformers cartoons on DVD. I'd be perfectly fine with three episode single-disc releases if they were in order and continuous. But skipping episodes, editing episodes together, jumping around the series? Not interested. And while I'd prefer a single cohesive set, that didn't stop me from buying some Anime shows on single disc release, despite the sometimes ridiculous pricing on some of those shows.

Give me the entire show, or piss off. I don't have time to be disappointed by being hooked on another series only to see that series cancelled. When DVD is your only way of watching a show, that happens way too often.

18. nkelsch

I think we were told to Piss off for Energon and Cybertron... I wonder what the sales figures were for the armada boxed set. We had a huge lag between part one and part two of that set.

19. Night Flame

A big part of that was because Hasbro pulled the license from Rhino right after part one was released. I've yet to determine why. They released a steady supply of DVD box sets to us and were working to get more ready to go, Hasbro pushed the license to Paramount, who basically laughed at it, then tried to jump it over to Sony's kids division, which promptly flopped and made them look like giant jackasses, then went begging back to Paramount. Which sets us up for Paramount to be in really good spirits when Hasbro asks them to start releasing Animated in a timely fashion.

Which once again makes me say Hasbro hates money.

20. netkid

netkid Where's my Goddamn shoe!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):