Transformers and Star Wars... Why?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by socko76, Jan 31, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Beastbot X

Beastbot X Old skool. In a lot of ways.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    My Grevious doesn't have many joint problems. His lower legs can come off a bit easily if you don't know how to handle him, but other than that, I love my Grevious. Best SWTF so far. The only one I have that I'm not so hot on is Skywalker.

I wouldn't count on it... these things are selling better than Cybertron toys in my area.

2. Dark Magnus

Dark Magnus Your opinion is wrong!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Just because they're moving faster than Cybertron toys doesn't necessarily mean they're selling better. The SWTFs are all new and as such most people who want them don't have them yet so more full cases will sell faster. Cybertron on the other hand is in it's 5 or 6th wave in most size classes, so the older figures aren't moving as well. Now if CD Hotshot, Downshift, Dark Crumplezone and CD Scattorshot were all sitting on the shelves while the SWTFs were still moving, then it would be fair to say they're selling better than Cybertron.

3. Backscatter

Backscatter Autobot Brainmaster TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Also, Star Wars Transformers are much better than the last Transformers spin-off, the Animorphs. Even if these aren't the greatest Transformers ever made, you must admit this is an interesting cross-over.

4. Beastbot X

Beastbot X Old skool. In a lot of ways.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Well, if you want to put it that way, than I guess to clarify I can say they're also selling better than Cybertron did when it was all-new.

5. Ops_was_a_truck

Ops_was_a_truck JOOOLIE ANDREWWWWWS!!!!!!

Ebay:
    Based on the test shots I've seen of the SWTFs, I'm not too interested either. If they were fairly priced - like $9.99 instead of $19.99 - maybe I'd bite. However, they're the same size as some of the Cybertron Deluxes and, at least in my opinion, designed worse.

There are a host of fan-made transformation schemes for Star Wars vessels that are far better than what we got. This line, in my opinion, needs
    A) Better designers, like the folks from the Transformers wing of Hasbro
    B) Lower prices, due to the fact that they don't exactly rank any higher than, say, Hot Shot or Thundercracker in my opinion
    C) More variety in the vessels; I'm just not a fan of the ones they have out right now. Give us a Star Destroyer.

6. Josh

Josh Comic Color-guy

News Credits:
    havent done the mod yet. though i think i might give it a whirl :D 

7. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    A turd with a screw sticking out of it would be better than Animorphs.

8. Acid Wing

Acid Wing Senior Alien TF Member

News Credits:
    I've got Vader and Grievous so far, and I like them for the most part. No, they're not the uber-greatest TFs, but they serve their purpose (they transform) and plus their vehicle modes are awesome and efficiently priced (compared to sometimes more expensive model kits).:) 

Haven't picked up Obi yet though. Looks like I might bite according to positive reponses so far.

And I like Minicons as well, so does that make me bipolar? :D 

Hehe, just kidding, I agree every person has their own tastes and whatnot.

9. Tfgraveyard

Tfgraveyard Not a Fan of the Fans

News Credits:

I'd have to disagree with you there. :) 

As a concept, Animorphs were not that good.

The toys themselves(most of them), are quite well engineered, well articulated, with interesting transformations. Personally, i'd love to see these toys remolded to remove the human parts, and add in robot parts.

10. Omnibus Prime

Omnibus Prime I'm too old for this shit TFW2005 Supporter

:peoples:  :sly: 

Um..the RotS Grievous Wheel Bike and Obi-Wan Starfighter cost $20, $5 more than the SWTFs. The two times they've cranked out the vintage X-wing mold...$20. Non-store-exclusive Vader's TIE and Slave I, Boba or Jango...$20.

I never got into Action Fleet because I didn't want to collect all the vehicles in another scale, save for the occasional vehicle that never had a 3 3/4" equivalent. Those were $10, a pretty good price alternative to the 3 3/4" vehicles.
    The SWTFs are basically transforming Action Fleet, the extra $5 effectively going toward the transforming engineering, such as it is. The vehicles look nice, just as Action Fleet did, but after buying Vader to try the line out, $15 isn't worth it to me. I'll stick to my 3 3/4" compatible vehicles...many of which don't cost much more than the SWTFs.

But...they are 1000% better than Animorphs, which tells you nothing you don't already know about how utterly terrible those were.

11. Asquian

Asquian Pissed off Yank

i've mulled it over for a couple weeks, then picked up luke.

not the best quality when it comes to sturdiness, but fun figures nonetheless. I'll be sticking with the line, it's ok. not great, like say Alternators, but something fun and cheap to fill the gaps between Alt releases.

12. socko76

socko76 Well-Known Member

I guess I'm just annoyed by the lost potential. Even those of you that like em have to admit they could have done better. They should have done better. The design on these was just lazy.

If you like em, buy em. I was just pissed and needed to vent.

13. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan OFFICIAL MMM REP

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    For general design, I don't think they could have done much better, but as far as joints, connectors, articulation, minor transformation bits, materials, etc, you're right, they could be loads better in those departments.

14. Dinobot Swoop

Dinobot Swoop TFW2005 Supporter

Still think this line is basically someone's really horrible idea for making cash off of SW and TF fans alike. IMO, the toys themsleves are an insult to both lines.

Although I'll willfully state that for some reason, General Grievous looks to have some amount of potential to him. (I'm weird that way.)

15. Weirdwolf

Weirdwolf TFYLP Podcast Founder TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Tumblr:
    I've got Obi Wan and Grievous sealed, and a Vader and a Luke opened. They're okay for what they are, nice looking vehicle modes and sorta okay robot modes. I like them enough that I may pick up a couple more that may tickle my fancy (an AT AT or a Star Destroyer would be nice), but for the most part I don't mind one bit walking right by them on down the aisle to the 100% Transformers section and not really giving much notice to the SWTFs.

16. Voiceroy

Voiceroy Trans-fo-mahs!

News Credits:
    Since when is $15 "cheap"?

17. Tfgraveyard

News Credits:
    It's subjective. To some people, $15 is alot. To others, it's pocket change.

18. Omnibus Prime

Omnibus Prime I'm too old for this shit TFW2005 Supporter

It's not a lot to me per se, but it's a lot for what you get with SWTFs. For $5 more you can get an Alternator, which surpasses SWTFs in engineering/design by more than $5 worth IMO, or you can get a larger scale SW vehicle that's a better/more detailed representation.

19. Tfgraveyard

News Credits:
    True. But it all depends on what you want though. :) 

I actually know of someone that thinks alts are overpriced at $20(and won't buy them unless they're clearanced for less then $10), but thinks the SWTF's are an awesome deal at $15. Go figure. :lol 

20. tikgnat

tikgnat Baweepgranaweepninnybong.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.