Transformers: Age of Extinction Toyline Underperforming?

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by Mechafire, Jul 16, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. deathzero23

deathzero23 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yeah Hasbro "upsized" the figures.. We have now the TITAN figures hahaha..

If Hasbro is hell bent on making non-transformable TF figures, they should have resort in reviving Robot Replicas line. I really don't get the purpose of TITAN figures.

Also the Stomp N Chomp Grimlock? no matter how it looks cool, due to it's steep price like near Masterpiece price or near 2 Leader Class figures, it'll end in bargain. I'm not downplaying Stomp N Chomp but it's gonna happen.

Since I'd mentioned Cyberverse, AoE is the best moment for Cyberverse and potential playsets:
    - A Farm chase (Optimus, Lockdown, 4 cheap cars) set
    - Hong Kong Battle set (Bee, Hound, Stinger, Galvatron, Crowbar repaints)
    - New Allies set (4 Dinos, Prime, Drift, Crosshairs & Bee)
    - Final Battle set (Prime vs Lockdown)
    - Highway chase set (Prime, Bee, Lockdown, Galvatron)

These are just my ideas. It's still makes me wonder why Hasbro killed off the cyberverse line. The line is fuckin' great especially commander classes Prime, Megs, Blackout & Ironhide.

2. flatline72

flatline72 Banned

News Credits:
    Personally, Fuck Optimus Prime and fuck Megatron.

TF5 needs to be pissed off Dinobots kicking the living shit out of the world, decepticons, and Squidheads in general.

3. Kaymac

Kaymac I'M REALLY FEELIN' IT!

I won't blame this on Bay. I won't blame this on the movie style.

Those are irrelevant and not factors in this at all.

What are factors in this are lack of interest from kids, while video games dominate their minds, as well as Hasbro's ineptitude to capture the interest of kids with this line.

Many of the toys on the pegs look like over sized McDonald's toys, that have the same price tag or higher as the much more interesting toys next to them! This seems to happen with every movie line, where there are a few sublines that are clearly not collector oriented. But this time, it was the majority of the merchandise that was irrelevant. Like an entire aisle is taken up by the kid-focused stuff.

While Hasbro had a good idea in mind making these type of toys, in execution the toys came out barely painted and shoddy, and not worth the price. That, combined with the fact that the toy industry as a whole is on the decline apart from us collectors, is what contributed to this, not the fact it was a movie line, or Bayformers styled.

4. peaces

peaces Well-Known Member

the dinobots are available in g1 colors but that is a sdcc exclusive set. got $500 to buy it on ebay? the rest of the good aoe toys went to takara, not hasbro. and by good aoe toys i mean old molds from previous movie lines that were brought back for the aoe line. so again, you have to pay through the nose.

5. samtastic

samtastic Herald of Wheelie

gotta say it's because the toys are very crappy looking - and the quality of at least on of the dinobots i got (slug) is inferior. I just think they made an unappealing toyline. I like evasion mode optimus and I got the triceratops. That's it.

Will get the g1 dinobots at comicon because the repaints look sweet.

anyway, not surprised

6. Mercutio

Mercutio Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I think if the toys are cool, people will buy them.

7. flatline72

flatline72 Banned

News Credits:
    case in point....

this dude is taller than most leader class figures....

Attached Files:

8. Angelwave

Angelwave Physical Maintenance.....

News Credits:
    Definitely not surprising.

One contributing factor to me is all of the extraneous spin off products (one-steps, mashers, etc). Because I have to agree, when a kid wants a Transformer he wants the actual figure/character from the actual toyline, not Construct-Bot.

They really do need to start trimming down on all of the side product, and concentrate more on the main lines of their IPs (Movie, Generations, Rescue Bots), and not just Transformers (hell not even just Hasbro as a manufacturer).

9. KnightHawkke

KnightHawkke Flynn Lives

Personally I will list the products I would have bought if conditions were different in these ways..

On second thought.. Maybe we should all send in these lists to Hasbro feedback..
    For example,
    Leader AOE Prime and his piss colored windows and sword.
    Leader Grimock looking like an anorexic Weiner dog with stumps for front legs
    Construct Bots Dino Armor prime getting a lime green partner..
    Small one step changers being more than 6 dollars
    High Octane and super new Camaro BB's robot modes looking like disjointed tripe. High octane with the whole robot design and super new Camaro's color scheme being a wreck.
    Deluxe Drift.. Wrong Colors
    Voyager Drift.. Will never be released in my area because its past wave 1

These are products I would have purchased if these simple problems didn't exist, I think it would behove us all, enmass, to let them know each and every one of our personal lists so maybe they can learn!

Last edited: Jul 17, 2014
  10. Acteon

Acteon Overworked

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I agree with an earlier sentiment in the thread about a core line, lots of different characters and a booklet showing the full range to cross off as you collect them. I fondly remember staring at those little catalogues and hoping to get "just one more". We didn't have a lot of money when I was growing up so every last one was special.

What we have now is 5 or so characters launched at a time, usually sporadically and with each subsequent line containing more and more repaints.

I realise that unlike the 80's all the designs are fresh and not just pulled from other lines and given faction symbols, but Hasbro could do a number of simple things to improve their fortunes:

1. Make the toys easier to find - in the UK, anything not movie is exclusive to Toys R Us - that's a 100 mile round trip for me, and when I do happen by a store the shelves are empty save for masses of shelf-warming rubbish. Let other stores stock the product so that people can actually have a chance to find this stuff.

2. Chuck a catalogue in the package so kids can see what else is out there or coming soon. Maybe then kids will, y'know, ask for them...

3. Transform the their own toys properly in promotional shots so that they look desirable. The photography from fans on these boards is fricking AWESOME and does more to sell me on TF's than any of Hasbro's so-called professional work.

Hasbro UK in particular is beyond a joke, I'm really not sure how such incompetence can survive in the private sector, but anything I buy for myself or my son is imported via Kapow or similar. Ever tried finding a Generations Skids, Swerve or Cosmos in the UK? Nessie would be easier to locate.

I know sales are down across the board, but maybe that has less to do with the public and more to do with shoddy product management and risible distribution. Even with the best designs in the world, and lines catering to movie and more traditional fan-bases simultaneously, if we can't find the stock, we can't buy it.

Anyway, that's my two-penneth.

11. Rquiem

Rquiem Dutchbot

News Credits:
    I do read into this that he says the toys are shit, not the movie or the movie designs perse.

12. amproadbuster88

amproadbuster88 How's it goin y'all!

Twitter:
    Instagram:
    I can see why, most toys now are cheaply made and suck, or are to expensive, or even to expensive and decent! Another thing is a lot of kids now have smartphones/tablets and don't care about toys much (I won't let my kid go that rout lol). But I can see, TFs were better back in the day with good designs, now they are just "alright", some like Hound, and Evasion Prime for me are the best the line has so far, they just need to start designing them better and make them have unique transformations like some of them have, I'll admit I like the ways some AoE figures transform but they don't have great designs such as to much bulk and stuff in the way or just look bad like both Grimlocks.

13. Littlesprimes

Littlesprimes Well-Known Member

I go to any store here in Utah and only see a max of five deluxes and a few voyagers, the rest is all the little kids stuff, which is not selling. Not only that, but when the toys are restocked they are all around the place.One steps on the deluxe shelf, and vice versa. The packaging looks the same. I missed the first movie line--I had left toys at that time.I bought the ROTF line at a sale price, DOTM, I used coupons at a sale price, but AOE is just bad. Even though I only like movieverse stuff, I cannot justify buying it at about $15. Hell, my parents don't mind that I'm in H.S and collect toys, but they don't want me to spend money on AOE, and quite frankly nor do I.

14. Russian fan

Russian fan Proud Autobot Ally

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    I think all toy industry is not in good condition now. First of all many children (starting from 7-8 years old) are passionate about mobile gadgets. Adult collectors who possibly don't give a really significant contribution suffer too because of increased prices of good toys (maybe this due to high requirements for nature protect and working conditions - China as a country of production rapidly develops and standard of living is growing). Here in my country there is HUGE problem with fakes, in retail we have many stupid and very fragile "TFs" which is made by nameless companies and their price is almost the same as Hasbro's ones in BBTS or TFSourse! But if I finally find Hasbro's TFs in retail, they're SOOOO expensive!!! For example ROTF Devastator, which I found in Moscow in 2009, cost about 400$:eek: !!! People have persistent stereotype that original TFs must cost very big money (like american jeans:D ) I think Hasbro must develop their international branches, invent something new for children and don't forget about adult collectors - make more truly good "classic" high detailed toys so we could give more money for them!

15. cjr187

cjr187 Well-Known Member

They are almost all crap... many dont even transform...

16. Magnus' Mate

Magnus' Mate Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The line itself might have issues, but the whole industry is suffering... children are just growing out of action figures earlier than ever before.

17. Alex Jumell

Alex Jumell Member

They are making some products I like do find them hard to locate though, as the shelves are full of products aimed at a very young age range, much of which is very appealing to me, and I'm guessing some kids and parents must be a bit unimpressed by it too. If the relatively poor sales are any indication.

18. TankRizzo

TankRizzo Well-Known Member

All I can say is: GOOD.

Be happy with your dirty movie ticket sales. I guess this is what happens when you make 4 Transformers movies where the Transformers are periphery characters. Doesn't help that the toys now look cheap.

19. hup2thepenguin

hup2thepenguin Beagle.in.red

God I hope a Hasbro rep sees this thread.

20. hup2thepenguin

hup2thepenguin Beagle.in.red

It's interesting how people call themselves serious collectors and big time fans, but then are like "imma skip this line cause I do t like it." I thought collecting was getting them all.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.