Transformers: Age of Extinction Toyline Underperforming?

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by Mechafire, Jul 16, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Blot

Blot Terrorcon Foot Soldier

News Credits:
    I have young nephews and they grew out of toys quick, especially action figures. All they care about are video games and apps and maybe some legos now and then. The figures you mention are basically video games.

I think kids move on from action figures a lot quicker than when I was a kid. Why orchestrate a battle with toys in your room when you can do it in a realistic video game? :( 

2. Prime135

Prime135 Jill Rhyme the science Prime

News Credits:
    I like the movies and the toy lines I personally think they're great and have reinvigorated the franchise. I'm in the next generation of collectors that got on board the brand during armada. That being said, I also love g1, my favorite g1 based line being masterpiece.

3. Basilisk

Basilisk It will give you infinite pleasure!

Well if AoE actually released in the UK I'd have bought most of the deluxes and voyagers.

4. Calabask

Calabask Waspinator Cultist

News Credits:
    Your best best is to check TRU for the evo 2 pack. It's where I found the most Strafes. Drift, try Walmart, it's where I got mine in NJ.

5. avengerboy123

avengerboy123 Well-Known Member

Yeah, nothing's selling. The shelves are covered in simplified stuff and the DECENT ones are hidden (yeah I'm not going to lie and say they're good). I just hope this is gonna make hasbro fix the Star Wars line too, they're in much more trouble than TF is, NO ONE is buying any of those except the very few who are buying 6 inch or black series. I so wish we could go back to the golden age (2008) we had Classics, Universe, TF movie and SW 30th anniversary.

6. mullexwing

mullexwing Skyfire strike team

I have been very disappointed in this series from Transformers. I counted about 4 legitimate Transformers, the rest have just been garbage. I can see where some of the toys would appeal to kids, but remind me again..... why we are selling toys to our little kids for movies filled with curse words? I say we either cut the curse words or cut out the toys, but we don't need both. And I don't want to go without the toys, so......

7. Dista

Dista Old Skool Crackhead

Here in the UK, I've only seen the basic figures - and that's in every toy shop I've been in.

There's not a single one I would buy.

8. Prime135

Prime135 Jill Rhyme the science Prime

News Credits:
    Not disagreeing, buuuut the 1986 movie would like a word with you.

9. kaijuguy19

kaijuguy19 Keyblade Wielder

News Credits:
    Except that in AOE the TFs WERE treated as actual characters so I don't see why you're using the same logic for AOE as the last three movies when it's not the case.

Also handing the movie franchise to someone else doesn't always mean they'll be better. If anything they could treat the movies worse then Bay. I'm not saying Bay is the ultimate go to person for TF movies but he does now have a better idea of them.

10. ArtistOfWar59

ArtistOfWar59 Stunticon

As stated before, I think the main reason the TF's are underperforming is all the simplified gimmick toys. IMO, there should only be at the max three toylines during any movie. The standard line, featuring one mold of every character in the film, a few non-film characters, and as little repaints as possible. Then, bring back the Cyberverse line. They're simple, small, and can make for recreations of scenes in movies in the form of playsets. Then the third should be the Human Alliance line, featuring all the humans with respective land vehicle bots. I really would've liked to see 2014 Concept Bumblebee w/ Cade, Lockdown w/ Harold Attinger, Rollbar w/ Shane etc. Those three lines, and let Kreo be it's own seperate thing. Don't use the same packaging for it as you would the others.

11. Negativedark

Negativedark Stealth Gesalt

No they are toys. But they are toys that interact with, and unlock things for a video game. And it has worked out brilliantly. Disney for example keeps adding properties they own to Disney Infinity. I mean who would have thought a video game where you have to buy figures in real life to unlock most of the characters would be a hit? Someone richer than me.

12. FanimusMaximus

FanimusMaximus Kuphead

News Credits:
    The sad thing is that it would have been so easy to fix.

13. Catatronic

Catatronic Banned

Now Hasbro will make even more Titan Heroes & not learn from their mistake.

Hasbro knows best. They do all that market research & they know what kids want. That's why sales are down, because they're just sooooo smart!

14. henry_earth

henry_earth Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Way too many lines, hardly any difference in packaging in my honest opinion, that can confuse the masses. Way too simplified transformations (the shell formers to me seem like laziness). For me as a collector size and price is making me think twice about purchasing figs, when at a time not a second though about it. DOTM was def a let down for me i collected 1 deluxe and few voyagers. AOE only dinobots and voyagers. Hopefully this opens hasbros eyes, look back see what worked and keep the lines simple and not too branched out. Personally i miss the mass amount of different voyagers, they have been very dim down lately 4-5 max to a line i didn't include repaints. im hoping for the best and good changes will come to this beloved line.

15. peaces

peaces Well-Known Member

hero mashers will save us

16. Backpack

Backpack G1 forever.

Things need to be simple.

Keep the line simple... and put effort into it.

One figure for each character.
    Set up the line for the whole year, show it in a booklet with a check list.

Collecting is huge part of toy buying. If there is so much crap, there is no way to feel like you have a collection. It's just a bunch of random stuff.... and a box full of Bumblebee's and Prime's. How would kids even know what's out there any more if they are not on some message board? There is just so much stuff...... Hasbro shows it all off, and so much of it never seems to make it to store shelves. What's the point? It's impossible for kids to collect any more. If there is anything good coming out, you can bet an adult collector, or scalper will snatch it up.

One small manageable line of no more than 40 figures a year.... and things would turn around. Generations is the perfect line to fit everything but the very low kid and high end MP levels. It should contain every Transformers figure Hasbro desires on the market...... be it movie/G1/Beast Wars or something new.

The space available just can't handle all the lines Hasbro is pushing under the brand.

17. Nope

Nope yscohb

News Credits:
    i agree

18. wheeljack359

wheeljack359 Master Technician

Ebay:
    you know what I just thought of?

Third party companies would make a mint by recreating the AOE line themselves. the way Hasbro should have.

They are doing wonders for us Gwuners but for the movie enthusiasts I hope it happens.

you know how much a Movie Barricade would sell if it were made with the care and quality that Fans Toys makes their products with?
    Hell I would get him. And I don't love the movies.

Come to think of it if we could get them type of figures from it I might even become a movie line collector. It would be expensive though.

Its only a collectors fix but ........

Hasbro could learn a lesson from the people knocking them off. Just saying!

19. Mister Guy

Mister Guy Well-Known Member

The same here in Mexico, I've only seen the basics and the 1st Edition OP. Some guy asked Hasbro Mexico when they were going to start selling the mainline Deluxe/Voyager/Leader, their answer: until September. Why such a delay? With the DOTM they made a pretty good job, we got a good distribution of figures without delays. I managed to buy all the mainline figures here without resorting to order online.

The worst thing is, if any of you remember that article some time ago about the Animatronic Grimlock in Mexico City, that was supposed to be an event to promote the movie line, which of course we won't fully see until almost 3 months after that event.

20. peaces

peaces Well-Known Member

you mean all the great characters and stories bay threw into the garbage with tf4?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.